Suikoden Unique and Illusional Kibbutz Old Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

So...sell me on Suikoden
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kekoa Alejandro

Reina Mia's Might

189444 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 11:11 pm    Post subject: So...sell me on Suikoden Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

So, I'm here (despite having no familiarity with this series) for reasons that I'd like to say are complicated, but they're really not. They're pretty simple, pretty good, and ultimately irrelevant to this discussion I would imagine.

This is not because of any lack of interest in RPGs; trust me, this cannot be said of me. RPGs are all I've ever played; I was raised on Chrono Trigger and Earthbound, Final Fantasy 4 and 6, Soul Blazer and Illusion of Gaia, Lufia 1 and 2, Ogre Battle and Secret of Mana, and dammit, I have cartridges for all of the above. I've played a number for the PS1 and 2, and if I didn't play it there's a good chance I watched my brother do so.

That said, I won't be a hard convert to make. Of all the RPGs I have ever played, there has only been *one* I did not enjoy, only *one* I would loathe playing again; to give you some perspective, I enjoyed Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest, Secret of Evermore, Secret of the Stars, and a vast array of other games that most people revile at best. So yeah, a game has to be Godawful for me to dislike it. ...kudos to the first one to name the one RPG I did not enjoy! :D

The Suikoden series *is* on the exceedingly small list of games we deem worthy of owning that we have not already obtained - we've just had no luck in obtaining it. I'm rather familiar with the joy of explaining something you love to someone who knows little of it but seeks to rectify that, and also I'm curious, so I figured I'd ask here.

What's this series like? I ask in a number of ways - the general genre, the type and quality of plots, characters, aesthetics, music, gameplay, and about anything else I can't remember. Ah, yes - themes as well. What would you say are the primary themes of the individual Suikoden games and those of the greater series as well?
Aurelien

1567728 Potch
0 Soldiers
157 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Some things that could give you a picture about what Suikoden is:
1. Involving 108 Star of Destiny to be recruited. Around 70% of them are playable characters.
2. Most likely, the story would involve a grey area rather than blatant good vs evil.
3. The characters are definitely diverse (from the appearance, background, fighting style, etc).
4. You have a headquarter for the recruited characters to hang out.
5. The story of the series (so far 4 games) all happened in the same world (though different plot, nations and time).
6. For the theme, I think there are 2 main themes of Suikoden series, and they are the 108 Star of Destiny and the 27 True Runes (a game usually has 1 or 2 main True Runes involved in the plot).

I hope that helps to give you a rough idea about what the series is all about.

~City-States of Jowston and Tinto Republic~
06.06.2004 - 20.01.2008

Neclord

The Spectral Nightmares

163602 Potch
2 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 11:38 pm    Post subject: Re: So...sell me on Suikoden Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

PalominoMule wrote:

What's this series like? I ask in a number of ways - the general genre, the type and quality of plots, characters, aesthetics, music, gameplay, and about anything else I can't remember. Ah, yes - themes as well. What would you say are the primary themes of the individual Suikoden games and those of the greater series as well?

Suikoden has to date four installments two for the playstation one and two for PS2. I like you play mostly RPGs. Old school all the way back to Dragon Warrior 1 for NES, and I have to say Suikoden is my favorite RPG series ever.

There are many different things that the fandom like about the series and everyone has their own reasons many are as follows:

Suikoden games generally have wonderful storylines that entrall the player and addict them easily. I found myself easily hooked the first time I seen the game played before I had even played myself.

108 stars of destiny, In Suikoden you can recruit up to 108 characters to join you, one of my favorite aspects of Suikoden. Unlike most RPGs were you only have a handfull to add to parties Suikoden offers many choices. There is also the fun of the hunt finding them all and getting them to join.

Mini games: Suikoden has always been known for containing tons of mini games, some good, some not so good, but this is a big draw for many fans.

Well, I could go in deeper and give you more reasons, but that is all I can think of without spoiling anything for you.

You must not fear death, my lads; defy him, and you drive him into the enemy's ranks.
~ Napoleon Bonaparte
Kekoa Alejandro

Reina Mia's Might

189444 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Feel free to spoil it for me. I rarely get to play a game through before my brother does, and if he's playing it I have to watch it. So...yeah. I'll live.

Hmmn...I suppose I need to explain what I mean by theme. It's a statement a piece makes - usually about life or human nature. It properly should be a complete sentence - so, "love" cannot be a theme, but "love is corrupted by base instincts" or "one cannot love one thing unconditionally and others conditionally - either one's love is conditional for any given entity, or it is unconditional and universally applied" can be. It most often isn't expressly stated anywhere in the work (although it may be in simpler stories, stories for children, so on and so forth), rather it must be determined by careful evaluation of the piece.

I'll be generous and let sentence fragments and thematic subjects (rather than statements) fly, because I'm nice like that. ^_^
Aurelien

1567728 Potch
0 Soldiers
157 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think if you want to be spoiled, it would be easier for you to go to Gamefaqs, and read the reviews there of Suikoden I to Suikoden IV. That way you would get the whole picture easily. And if you have particular question about particular things, feel free to discuss it here to get the answers.

06.06.2004 - 20.01.2008

Vextor

11331071 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

For me the theme Suikoden brings up repeatedly is the duality of all things, such as how they bring up both the bright side and dark side of love in the backdrop of war. Suikoden is essentially a series that depicts how people are cast into the pits of dread where it seems like the whole world is against you, while also portraying hope and triumph. For example, love (or the angst from the lack of it) is at the source of all suikoden villain's motives, and the very same motives are present on the hero's side. Suikoden doesn't give you the pre-packaged formula of clear cut "bad guys are bad coz they were always evil" against "good guyz are always good coz they just are." The reason why each character gets involved in the war is given, and the reasons are quite diverse (especially in Suikoden 2 and 3), which gives you a very rich mix of characters whos plots intertwine.

As far as an RPG you may have possibly hated, how about "Traysia"? It was for the Genesis, but it had a bug that made it impossible to finish. That'd make it quite impossible to enjoy, won't it?
Benit149

Covenant of Cuchulainn

0 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The 'love' theme isn't terribly prominent in the actual games, but the same can't be said for fandom. Aside from that, the usual themes involve war and the struggles that are necessary to achieve peace. I hope I don't say much by mentioning that in every single Suikoden, some characters die. Casualties are a fact in war, as are betrayals and double-crossings, and there are plenty of those too.

Your 'hero' characters are not world-shaking figures: just ordinary citizens who're somehow caught up in the mix, become leaders of their army, and inspire people to rise up against the enemy. This character has a special star of the 108: the Tenkai Star, the star that is destined to lead the other 107. Tradtionally, every playable hero character, AKA 'the Tenkai Star', has a True Rune that Black Pesmerga mentioned: Suikoden III somewhat breaks this tradition, but it returns in IV.

The typical 'save the world' plot doesn't adhere to Suikoden because your aim is to free a certain land from corruption or destruction, not the entire world. So having 108+ characters in each installment makes for a cast so diverse that it's impossible to NOT find someone you like. And it adds another fact of war: to fight one, you need a serious army, not a bunch of superpowered teenagers.

I could go on and on about Suikoden facts, but it's best to take our word for it, not just because we're Suikoden fans, but because we've played other games and have yet to see one as originally executed as Suikoden.

Benit149: First Lady of Addervon, Princess of Slight Fever, defender of the Nameless.
Kekoa Alejandro

Reina Mia's Might

189444 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hmmn...some nice replies! It gives me a good idea of what I'd be expecting. At least, I believe so...
Beecham

Wind In The Grass

33221 Potch
75 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Wow, I can't believe no one mentioned the concept of "fate." What one word is more central to the concept of Suikoden than fate?

Basically, since I don't have a lot of time to write my thoughts here, the concept of the Suikoden series is that no man is powerless against fate. The reason the Tenkai [the aforementioned hero of each game] exists, is to gather the Stars of Destiny and in doing so move the wheels of fate. The True Runes themselves are near god like entities bound inside Runes that often need to be borne in order to affect the world [at least, from the evidence we've seen]. But we've seen the Bearers of the True Runes manage to fight the Runes themselves, to regain some control of their lives and the lives of those around them [not to mention the nations for whom they are fighting].

Help me out here, someone. My copy of Genso Suikoden I is downstairs. What's Leknaat's line again? Something along the lines of "No man's existance is without meaning?" But there's more to it; I just forget the exact wording :)
Arcana

The Engineers

190546 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

A lot of people mention Suikoden and duality, but I don't see it as clearly as others tend to do so. You're almost ALWAYS the kid who opposes the "huge evil empire". Granted, the ambiguity of villains has been increased lately (I haven't played IV, but III had a pretty good balanced villain), but I can't say the same of II and I as having good, balanced villains that you cry as you kill because you feel sorry for them.

It discusses some moral issues and some of the ambiguity of war, and the characters go through ethical conflicts and lots of emotional roller-coasters, but the games themselves don't do a good job of presenting a good two-sided story. No one here ever sympathizes with Luca, and the game itself doesn't lend any good evidence toward "Harmonia's just a country living in the world". People usually end up creating the grey after they finish the game, but in the game itself, there's usually little doubt (and little choice) about what side you choose. You're almost always a part of the "Rebels", fighting the "Big Empire who has Super-magical power".

That in itself is fine, but I don't think it's as grey as many people like to claim.

One thing that I must tribute to Suikoden is that, in four games in the series, not once does your main character have to fight in a fighting tournament of any kind. :) The battles in the games are fast, so you usually don't dwell on how much they kind of suck. Characters level up quickly, too, so your newly-recruited Level 1 character can get up to speed in an instant. The world is very detailed, and it's also continuous and developing and evolving, which is probably a very big reason why it has such a strong following - any game that continues where it left off from before will eventually draw a strong group who follows every detail. The planet isn't tiny, and it's not a torus, and you can't sail around it in 20 minutes. You don't have typical braindead dungeons (most of the time anyway) like the "ice dungeon", the "fire dungeon", and the "earth dungeon". You often go to missions to actually DO things, like make negotiations, propose war plans, or save political figures, instead of "getting the Sword of Kabarabbalaata-jinto" so you can fulfill the legend of "Murakaka" and slay the legendary beast "Kururulippa".

Not really gray, in my opinion, but much more politically-oriented and grounded in a kind of reality. Not reality as in real-life, but reality as in the things you see can be related to real life.
Solitude

Fallen Angels

495 Potch
125 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well seeming as most people have already dealt with the overall theme of the game I will go into the battle system and what not.

In the Suikoden series (except in the fourth installment) you have up to 6 characters in your party at a time. Each has his own strengths and weeknesses so it is fun to mix and match your vast collection to see which characters work best. You can make a team of complete powerhouses, or make a team of awesome mages.

The battles themselves are pretty quick but are also entertaining and don't make you wish that the battles were never implemented into the game. You can customize what types of magic a character has but each character also has his/her own affinity level with magic. You can also combine the magical and physical attacks of two characters to deal so pretty devistating damage. That and the spells and combo attacks are quite fun to watch.

Sometimes travel can be tedious (S4 I didn't find out about the R2 button until I was nearly done with the game) but for the most part its not to bad. And after a certain point in the game you won't notice travel at all lol. The dungeons are fun to go through and even provide a challenge unlike some other RPGs.

Music wise the series has great music that totaly fits the situation that you are in. It really adds nice touches and strengthens whatever feeling you are feeling at the moment. Be it sadness, hatred, or excitement.

As for the RPG you hated. Beyond the Beyond? Most godawful game ever. I myself couldn't even get more than an hour into it without turning it off and not attempting to play it for another year or so.
sybillious

Ebony Moon Knights

981865 Potch
59 Soldiers
60 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

that's a great selling point on the appeal issue, mib; the fact that the battle system has never been complicated-satisfying enough to give you a kill fix, but not overwhelming that you have to sort things out before, during and after play.

the fact that they are also 'evolving' the series *although, not always successfully*shows a willingness to implement new factors into gameplay, keeping things fresh and drawing new players into the series. many who have been drawn to game x are drawn to other parts of the series, widening its fanbase-crucial to any series' survival in today's market.

gotta gotta get a...SPICE WEASEL!

to paraphrase my fellow mod, parallax:
I hate my job with the passionately burning intensity of a thousand fiery suns.
Vextor

11331071 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Arcana wrote:
A lot of people mention Suikoden and duality, but I don't see it as clearly as others tend to do so. You're almost ALWAYS the kid who opposes the "huge evil empire". Granted, the ambiguity of villains has been increased lately (I haven't played IV, but III had a pretty good balanced villain), but I can't say the same of II and I as having good, balanced villains that you cry as you kill because you feel sorry for them.

There's plenty of duality in suikoden, such as dualities represented within each true rune, such as the Rune of Life and Death, and the fact that the battle between Chaos and Order is at the core of series.

Also, there are ambiguous villains in Suikoden 1 and 2 as well, such as Barbarossa who isn't really evil at all (and he is the last boss). Windy may be considered evil, but such a virdict is somewhat shallow, as she has her own reasons. You also have to fight and kill your own father (and he's not evil), and other generals who have their own reasons to fight against you. Luca Blight is evil in many ways, but there still are people who are sympathetic to his reasons, and Jowy definitely was an ambiguous villain.

Quote:

No one here ever sympathizes with Luca, and the game itself doesn't lend any good evidence toward "Harmonia's just a country living in the world". People usually end up creating the grey after they finish the game, but in the game itself, there's usually little doubt (and little choice) about what side you choose. You're almost always a part of the "Rebels", fighting the "Big Empire who has Super-magical power".

That in itself is fine, but I don't think it's as grey as many people like to claim.

You're missing the reason why people are calling the game as being "gray." People tend to say Suikoden has more grey areas because this is simply a comparison to other games (namely final fantasy) where enemies are typically evil without any clear reason (such as Kefka whos reason is simply insanity). Whether something is "grey" is purely subjective in juedgement, and thus it depends on where you set your reference.

Also, I have seen plenty of people sympathizing with Luca.

Suikoden's plot has a set formula, which is roughly based on the original Chinese novel, Shui Hu Zhuan, so you will always have the main character becoming the leader of an eclectic "rebel" force that opposes a huge enemy. The storytelling, however, gives ample reason to inform players the enemy's perspective as well as the "good guys'" ethical problems. For example, you are explained why Highland looks at Jowston as an enemy during Suikoden 2, and they do give you a compelling reason--Jowston committed some heinous acts against Highland. In Suikoden 1, you're explained why Barbarossa didn't stop Windy from destroying his empire as well, which makes him a "gray" villain.

Preditability of plot doesn't make the game "gray," it merely makes it predictable.

Quote:

One thing that I must tribute to Suikoden is that, in four games in the series, not once does your main character have to fight in a fighting tournament of any kind. :)

Agreed, that plot device is over-used. However, it can happen in the future, especially if a game takes place in Falena.

Quote:

The battles in the games are fast, so you usually don't dwell on how much they kind of suck.

"They kind of suck"? You'll find many people disagree with that statement. There are some people who still play suikoden 2 because they love the battle system. The same goes with Suikoden 3. You're free to have an opinion, but that statement looks too conclusive.

Quote:

You often go to missions to actually DO things, like make negotiations, propose war plans, or save political figures, instead of "getting the Sword of Kabarabbalaata-jinto" so you can fulfill the legend of "Murakaka" and slay the legendary beast "Kururulippa".

Haha, true. However, getting the Star Dragon Sword to defeat Neclord is sort of like the above cliche.

Quote:

Not really gray, in my opinion, but much more politically-oriented and grounded in a kind of reality. Not reality as in real-life, but reality as in the things you see can be related to real life.

I would say it presents "grayness" through in-depth presentation of politics, history, and relationships.
Aurelien

1567728 Potch
0 Soldiers
157 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Arcana wrote:
but I can't say the same of II and I as having good, balanced villains that you cry as you kill because you feel sorry for them.

I think those two games have grey villains, just like Suikoden III.

Suikoden I:
1. The 4 Great Generals (minus Teo) were basically fighting against you because they were very loyal to the Empire, and because they love their Emperor so much, they ended up joining you as well. It showed that they weren't evil. Hence, grey.
2. Teo McDohl ended up fighting with you because he was really *that* loyal to Emperor Barbarossa. He fully realize that Tir wasn't really at fault, but he showed dignity and loyalty by his willingness to die for the Empire. He sent his two best men (Alen and Grenseal) to help Tir. Again, grey villain.
3. Windy was shown as evil by controlling Millich and Kwanda with Black Rune. She was willing to hunt Ted and Tir, destroyed the Village of Hidden Rune, etc just to get Souleater Rune. Why? Most likely because she wanted to fight Harmonia who destroyed her village. Not really an evil purpose (considering that the general opinion with Harmonia being the "main bad nation"). Again, grey villain.
4. Barbarossa did what he did because he fell in love with Windy. As we know, love is blind, and Barbarossa's case showed how blinding love is. To me, he wasn't really that evil, him being evil was more of a "he could've stopped Windy" case. Grey villain yet again.
5. Ain Gide. Allowed Tir and co. to pass by earlier in the game instead of executing them, and fought bravely to defend the capital city of the Empire. He was only evil because he fought on the opposition side. Grey villain once again.

We had no idea about Yuber. Kanaan and Kraze both seemed more like jerks rather than evil. Neclord ... well, he wanted to find a bride, not really evil though not good.

Suikoden II:
1. Jowy obviously just wanted to gain peace (exactly same goal as Riou) though through different method. In some ways, his method might work as well. So grey villain for sure.
2. Leon Silverberg worked for Jowy, but his goal was to end the war ASAP with as few casualties as possible. Grey villain once more.
3. Luca Blight. Though the reason didn't justify his action IMO, it was quite understandable why he wanted to do all those things. So he wasn't evil out of nowhere. The pain to see his mother became crazy made him full of anger. Not as grey as Jowy IMO, but not straight evil either.
4. Seed and Culgan simply worked for Highland because they loved their country. That's patriotism though IMO a bit too blindly. I guess in that era, loyalty was something big and important. So grey villains again there.
5. Lucia was a villain but because of what Jowston did to her father. And in the end, it was shown how she had a change of mind, growing from the narrow minded "Jowston people are no good" into the open-minded person who thought "Hey, maybe there are some good people in Jowston anyway". Grey villain for sure.
6. Gorudo might be obvious as evil at first, but we were never really shown the reason why he did what he did. He left out the refugees, he didn't want to fight Highland, and so on that made him look like a coward/jerk/crapguy. But in a sense, what he did ensured that the people of Matilda weren't harmed by Highland. That's quite noble IMO. He was also shown that he tried to kill both Riou and Jowy in Rockaxe castle, it was actually a very smart move, because by killing them both, it might end the war right there and then. Still a grey villain to me.
7. Solon Jhee. The man who killed Granmeyer despite him surrendering. What can I say other than he was a hotheaded person? He did what he did for Highland. Not the friendliest person on earth, but wasn't necessarily evil either. Grey villain again.
8. Rowd obviously did what he did to try to raise some money to get a cure for his blind sister. Just like Luca, I don't think the reason justify what he did. But it was certainly something to think about, and it showed that he wasn't really just evil out of nowhere. He actually still had a soft spot. So grey once again.

Again, no idea about what Yuber really wanted. Sasarai was there simply as a reinforcement. Han Cunningham was there just to protect Highland. Neclord wanted to find another bride. Lots of grey villain yet again in Suikoden II.

06.06.2004 - 20.01.2008

Beecham

Wind In The Grass

33221 Potch
75 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Wow, I know she said she doesn't mind spoilers, but there's going to be nothing left of the plot of any of the games except some of 3 and all of 4 if we keep this up ^_^;;;
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: