Suikoden Unique and Illegal Kraalesque Omniscient Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

OpenOffice.org

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

Potch
Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:14 am    Post subject: OpenOffice.org Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Don't want to pay a large amount for Microsoft Office? Don't want to use illegal and wrong methods to use Word and PowerPoint? Well, there is a legal solution! I'm sure a lot here know about this program but it really is great, OpenOffice.org is a software package that includes a word processor, slideshow application, database package and much more. I've been using the suite for a few days now and it really is one of the best alternatives to using Microsoft Office, what's more - it's completely free (open source). Plus, it's compatible with Microsoft Word and PowerPoint file types.

Just Uji trying to help those who don't know about this:

http://www.openoffice.org/
Yohn

Confused Chaquita Banana Minions

Potch
Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I so completely approve of Open Office. My boyfriend and I both use it. XD

"And as the lion slaughters man, I am the wolf and you're the lamb." ~Blind Guardian
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
AA

Spears of the Sand

Potch
Soldiers
3121 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Already have it, already use it, i likes it :)
Basel

Potch
Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Current users of Microsoft Office might ask the following question:
What about my data?
Here is an edited answer from makethemove.net:

OpenOffice.org wrote:
OpenOffice.org supports and encourages the use of open source file formats. Currently the majority of documents are created by Microsoft Office, however these formats are closed source and proprietary. Using these formats puts you at the whim of Microsoft who can (and do) make their file formats incompatible with other applications, including older versions of Microsoft Office! Because these files are closed source, people are forced to purchase new versions of Microsoft Office. While some open source office suites can read and write Microsoft formats, the results are sometimes imperfect because they do not have the code to see how the formats work. Still OpenOffice.org does a great job of working with Microsoft Office files and you will probably find you can use and swap them without issue.

As a result the free community has adopted a new International Organization for Standarization (ISO) approved XML based document standard (ISO26300) from OASIS called 'open document'. This standard is freely available for anyone to learn and implement (yes, even Microsoft) because it is open source. Due to pressure applied by various Governments switching to this new open format, Microsoft was forced to support this format in their next version of Office. No one is sure to what degree they will support it, however OpenOffice.org already does. Aside from the new open document formats, there are many other formats you can use that are freely usable; HTML, PDF, and even plain text.

As the ISO states, "Organizations and individuals that store their data in the open format avoid being locked in to a single software vendor, leaving them free to switch software if their current vendor goes out-of-business, raises its prices, changes its software, or alters its licensing terms".

Organisations all around the world, including the National Archives of Australia, are switching their documents to this new format to ensure unrestricted access to digital information now and in the future. Users are encouraged to switch from using closed and dangerous proprietary formats to open and freely available formats, which will be around forever.

PS: I was installing the latest update 2.2 on my brother notebook while editing this post ;)

Edit by Hayashi Ujitsuna - please use quote tags when copying and pasting information from other web sites.
Geddoe

Eyepatches of the Faith

Potch
Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah, I've been using OpenOffice for a long time. It rocks hard. Seriously.

The Runic Fletchers

Potch
Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The computers in my school use it, rather than paying the big MS 30 times for the same piece of software. From the little I used it, I can say that it's a very good piece of software.

Red Shoes Dance

Potch
Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Vertius wrote:
The computers in my school use it, rather than paying the big MS 30 times for the same piece of software. From the little I used it, I can say that it's a very good piece of software.

Your school uses it? Wow, that is unusual, first time I've heard of an educational establishment ditching Microsoft.

Last edited by Ujitsuna on Wed May 02, 2007 11:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Gil-galad

Flame of the West

Potch
Soldiers
46 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Mm, thank you! I've been debating whether or not to give Microsoft and just buy MS Office. I'm glad I didn't!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Advertisements & Fun Links All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: