Suikoden Uncouth and Infamous Keystone Omniscient Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Your predictions for the upcoming MLB Season 2007
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
shuxion

1500 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:36 pm    Post subject: Your predictions for the upcoming MLB Season 2007 Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

(I hope this isn't a duplicate thread)
Well finally Spring Training is about over and we can start the games that matter. I get sick of spring training after some 3 days, so boring and tedious but anyways here we go with the picks:

AL East
1Boston- The rotation will finally make them the winners this year. I do not like the bottom of their lineup though.

2New York- Great lineup but Rotation and bullpen issues. If they can get Clemens they can jump Boston.

3Toronto- They played great this year but the Frank Thomas deal will kill them this year. Vernon Wells is the best CF in baseball though.

4Tampa Bay- They may have the best young pitcher in Scott Kazmir but not much else. Delmon Young will ned a good two years before he is an impact layer.

5 Baltimore- Miguel Tejada will be traded this year, I am sure of it. This team has young talent but they need some PITCHING!!!!!!

AL Central
1 Minnesota- Santana is the best in the game and is the reason they will stay on top.

2 Chicago- They may get Tejada this year but even without him they will take 2nd in the division.

3 Detroit- Though Sheffield makes them much better I am not sure that Bonderman and Verlander will have those same great years again.

4 Cleveland- They will be much better but not good enough. I do love Andy Marte at 3rd base though. For COCO CRISP they stole Marte from Boston.

5 Kansas City- Ryan Shealy is one of the best young players in baseball and like all young players in KC he will become a free agent and eventually leave.

AL West
1 LA Angels- Even with Roids matthews Jr. in center this team has the best mix of pitching and hitting to win the division.

2 Oakland- I love the rotation and the closer, but the rest has issues. Look for Rich Harden to have a CY Young caliber season though.

3. Texas- Sosa will eventually become their DH but they still have horrible pitching. They should bring up their two studs from the minors this season.

4. Seattle- Ichiro will go to free agency after this year (Likely to be picked up by the LA Dodgers) so expect him to be traded by July 31st (Chicago, Boston, Yankees, Mets, Padres) all will bid for him.

ALDS Minn over NYY Bos over MINN
ALCS Minn over Bos

NL East
1 NY Mets- They have a future hall of famer in David Wright and a good bullpen but with no Pedro they may flame out early in the playoffs.

2 Atlanta- Bet on this, Andruw Jones will be traded this year if the price is right. I guarentee it.

3 Philadelphia- They are going in the right direction but still will not be there yet. They need one more good starting pitcher.

4 Florida- I love this young talent and in two years they could be sniffing at their franchise 3rd world series, but not now.

5 Washington- Coddero is their best player at closer and they want to trade him (He is young TOO!!!!) This team is going nowhere fast (I do like Zimmerman though)

NL Central
1 St. Louis- Pujops is the best slugger in the game, hands down and they have OK pitching. That equals wins in the National League.

2 Miluwakee- This is my slepper team, Ben Sheets is a break out pitcher and with Turnbow in the bllpen along with Prince Fielder at 1st they will make a run at a playoff spot.

3 Houston- Carlos lee was a good p/U but not enough to contend.

4 Chicago- On the right track. I would go after A-Rod once he opts out of his current contract at seasons end. And for the love of god resign Zambrano, please.

5 Cincinnati- The young talent here is phenominal but they are one power hitter short of contention. I do like Adam Dunn though.

6 Pittsburgh- Any talent they have will be traded away by July 31st.

NL West
1 San Diego- If Wells stays healthy through out most of the season the Padres may have the best record in the majors.

2 LA Dodgers- I really really like them but I see an injury killing them. In three years this team will be a powerhouse with their stacked major league. Look for Chad Billingsley to really make an impac this year from the mound.

3 Colorado- Another sleeper, love Tulowistki at short stop but their pitching needs some major work.

4 Arizona- If hernandez can stay healthy and Johnson grows his awesopme mullett back this team could jump any above them. Give them a year or two. Webb will be a Cy Young candidate.

5 San Fr5ancisco- Even with Zito this team is going nowhere. Bonds will break the record atr home and nobody outside of SF will be happy. Matt Cain is the light at the end of this very dark tunnell for them.

NLDS LA Dodgers over NY Mets ST. Louis Over SD
NLCS LA Dodgers over St. Louis

World Series Minn over St. Louis

There you go. I cannot wait till June and see how wrong I am!!!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Cedric

Sol Ciel

472542 Potch
200 Soldiers
62 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I’ll give this a go. Tull, if you’re reading this, Athletics suck.

AL East

1. Boston - Schilling is proven to be a winner, so barring any devastating injuries, Boston will win this division thanks to a combined effort of their rotation and batters. Make no mistake that New York has much better hitters, obviously. But the pitching staff gets them the nod. Daisuke Matsuzaka won’t win rookie of the year, but he will be impressive. I say 17 wins and he might be in the Cy Young discussion.

2. New York - The best hitters in baseball, but one of the crappiest rotations for an elite club as I can remember. Still, all this team has to do is score more runs. While that won’t cut it come playoff time, that will let you cruise through the season. I like their chances if they can maintain some sort of urgency.

3. Toronto – I like the addition of Frank Thomas. They didn’t lose anyone and they signed him most likely as a designated hitter. After seeing some of their games live, they have a good pitching staff that may cause trouble. But even that was hindered since they lost Justin Spier to my hometown Angels. I expect them to cause some noise this year and even flirt with the Wild Card position for a while. But in the end, the massive east coast bias to the Yankees and the Sox extends even to me; a person that extremely dislikes both teams. You have to put the Sox and Yankees up there just people keep talking about them.

4. Tampa Bay- Typically cellar dwellers, but with former Angel coach Joe Maddon, they’re going to get some good education. Thanks to that, they’ll be out of the cellar this year and may be competitive as early as next year.

5. Baltimore - Rotation is horrible. Aside from Brian Roberts and Miguel Tejada, I don’t trust any of the hitters on this team.

AL Central

1. Chicago – Aside from Kansas City, this division is legit! This will be the most competitive division out there and in my opinion, it’s the best complete division out of the entire league. Chicago has some upper tier hitters, and they basically retained the same pitching staff that made them successful. Look for them to win this division but not without a frantic race to the finish.

2. Detroit - Sheffield is the notable addition here, but I’m going to wait and see if their lineup holds up like it did last year. I personally think that Placido Polanco is their best hitter, but I can’t think of anyone else that I would trust. I expect Verlander and Bonderman to experience a small slump as hitters get adjusted to them. But this team is solid nonetheless. I would pick them as the Wild Card winner, but the tough teams in the division should lower their record considering they have to go against each other so much.

3. Minnesota – They’re coming off an excellent year when they stole the spotlight from the Detroit Tigers at the end of the year. It’s essentially the same lineup and Johan Santana is still there of course. But I have one very good reason why they are third. And that’s because of Francisco Liriano. Their phenom pitcher is out for the entire year rehabiliting from his surgery to repair his torn ligament cuff. He gave the twins a lot of wins, and you won’t have that this year. It was a really tough break because he was fun to watch.

4. Cleveland - Which Cleveland will show up? The 2005 team that turned some heads or the 2006 team which fell off the planet? I predict somewhere around the middle thanks to the very strong division this year.

5. Kansas City – I feel sorry for this franchise. They’re not committed to winning and that’s sad. They’re in the toughest division so expect them to get the worst record in the entire league. They don’t deserve that at all. MLB, do us all a favor and move the team to Las Vegas with a new owner. You’d make a lot of money that way, and the fans might see some great baseball out of them.

AL West

1. LA Angels – This is my team. I attend their games, keep track of their prospects, and anything else involving the team. Personally, the whole steroid allegations with Matthews Jr. won’t mean much. What will mean much is his defense in center field. Garret Anderson is healthy after 3 years and I expect Vladimir to be the same as he always is. Their hitters love to manufacture runs, so watching this team will be very entertaining as they use their speed to pressure opponents. When Bartolo Colon and Jered Weaver come back, the rotation will be solid. Our bullpen has been considered one of the best in baseball for years and it just got better by adding Justin Spier and Darren Oliver. We were last in defense last year, but it’s a different year and there’s nowhere to go but up.

Do we need a big bat? Well that would be nice. Soriano would have been perfect because he steals bases too. But don’t forget this is the team that had the best record following the All-Star break. The pitching will keep them in the running. My pick to win it all. :D

2. Oakland - Boo! I have no idea how this team does it. They barely spend any money, but by drafting players with high on base percentage they get the job done. They don’t steal much and prefer to wait for the long ball or a walk. In my opinion, they’re really boring to watch and that only adds to my dislike of them. (Northern/Southern California sports rivalry with friends) But knowing them, they’ll continue to pest the Angels for the top spot and I really wouldn’t be surprised if they won the Wild Card. Texas and Seattle are mediocre teams, so this will help the Angels and Athletics’ records.

3. Texas – Despite being mediocre, I like their hitters. I have to admit that seeing home runs is an awesome sight and this team can hammer it better than just about anyone. I think they even set the MLB record a year or two ago. That was a fun team to watch. But as usual, pitching is terrible. They added Eric Gagne, but he’s a situational pitcher that may not pitch depending on the outcome of the game. That won’t help much. Sosa’s bat speed returned, so he had an awesome spring. More offense to a club already stacked to it.

4. Seattle – Jose Guillen, Jarod Washburn, Jeff Weaver, and Adrian Beltre used to be common sights for me as an Angel/Dodger fan. But they’re gone now and they haven’t done anything important since they left. And here’s hoping their slump continues. I have nothing against them. They’re just on the other team. I hope Ichiro moves to one of the Southern California teams. We could use some more overseas tourism.

ALDS Los Angeles Angels over Chicago White Sox (4-2) Boston Red Sox over Oakland Athletics (4-1)
ALCS Los Angeles Angels over Boston Red Sox (4-3)

NL East

1. Philadelphia – I really don’t know much about the National League. But even I know that the Phillies have what it takes to win this division. They’ve been knocking on the door for two years now and I think they will finally break though. They’re solid in all positions and their pitching staff is equally concrete.

2. Atlanta – For a team that had stars like Maddux, Smoltz, Glavine, Millwood, and Hudson, I find it hard to believe that I finally saw a Braves team that had terrible pitching. Their streak is now over thanks to their pitching staff, but what a run it was. They’ve tried to address the pitching concerns and they did a decent job. Smoltz is timeless, so he’ll keep them afloat.

3. NY Mets – Jose Reyes and David Wright will keep this team offensively sound. However, this is the only team in baseball that got substantially weaker in the off-season. To make matters worse, all the other teams in their division, except Washington, got better. They’ll be lucky to finish 3rd.

4. Florida – In terms of winning with the people they have, they’re more impressive than Oakland. They’re like Oakland in terms of winning, but the players they draft are high impact players that are fun to watch. Not only that, but their formula has brought them 2 championships in the last decade or so. In about a year, we’ll see what they are capable of.

5. Washington – Good luck next year. Looking at this team, there is no one that you can count on. They’d have the worst record in baseball if they were in the American League. As it is, they’ll finish ahead of Kansas City but below everyone else.

NL Central

1. Chicago – Damn them. They signed two players the Angels wanted really badly. Aramis Ramirez was a long shot since he wanted to remain with the Cubs. But we were so close with Soriano. I guess I’ll live. He’s 30 so he’ll be around for only 6 or 7 years . . . unless he’s Julio Franco which should be worshipped as a conditioning coach after he’s done with baseball. Anyway, the big key here is Carlos Zambrano. This is a contract year, so he WILL be awesome. In fact, I’ll go a step further and say Cy Young of the National League. Fantasy League coaches, always draft big names at contract years/opt out years. This is true for all sports. Alfonso Soriano was in a contract year last year, and look at all the ridiculous stuff he did. Thanks to the new guys, Zambrano’s motivation and Lou Pinella’s coaching, I expect this team to have the best record in the league. (The National League teams are soft compared to the American League)

2. St. Louis – I hope they realize that they’re getting a gem by signing Adam Kennedy. He was a really good player and an equally great person. He always plays long toss with fans when he was with the Angels and he would just chat with the people at left field while he did so. He stayed longer than anyone else for autographs, and he knows how to play second base. Eckstein and Kennedy were already proven as Angels but now they get a chance to shine as a double play combo. Don’t expect Kennedy to miss a lot of balls hit his way. Still, their pitching was lessened, so that’s why I have them finishing second.

3. Milwaukee – Good group of young guys, and they will make noise this year. But they’re a year away from true contention. Although I agree, they are the sleeper team to watch. Don’t get careless with them.

4. Houston – Solid all around, but nothing noteworthy. They’ll be bumped up if they get Schilling.

5. Cincinnati – Same as Milwaukee but 2 years away instead of 1.

6. Pittsburgh – Well . . . at least they’re attempting to hide the fact that they trade away their players. Kansas City makes it so obvious it’s not even funny.

NL West

1. LA Dodgers – Best minor league in baseball hands down. I have to say that the Angels and Dodgers draft well. But we only care about the present. Ned Colletti is an awesome GM. He didn’t have much to work with but he still got a bunch of new players and coach to the playoffs last year. It’s now time to build off that success. They have Schmidt and Penny anchoring the rotation, and they have some proven bats signed in the off-season. They’ve improved more than anyone else in the NL West and this will get them to the playoffs once again.

2. San Diego – Maddux and Peavy will make their rotation solid. In my opinion, this team is more dangerous than the famous Giants. Solid lineup and the pitchers park should help their bullpen in close games. Bud Black, their new coach, was the old pitching coach of the Angels. I’m sure this will help the pitching staff tremendously. The Wild Card winner of the NL.

3. Colorado – Extremely high potential here. They’ve got a few guys in contract years, but they will be held back by pitching. In the games they win, they’ll score a bunch of runs for sure.

4. Arizona – Great pitching staff, but they aren’t going anywhere if the lineup doesn’t contribute. Depending on which Randy Johnson we see, they’ll either compete for the Wild Card or stay at this position.

5. San Francisco – Zito is an upgrade of course. Bonds is still there, but otherwise, that’s all. Better luck next year (or not because you’re a division rival).

NLDS Los Angeles Dodgers over Philadelphia Phillies (4-1) Chicago Cubs over San Diego Padres (4-1)
NLCS Los Angeles Dodgers over Chicago Cubs (4-3)

World Series: Los Angeles Angels over Los Angeles Dodgers (4-2)

Yup. I want a freeway series.

1500 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Cedric wrote:

Do we need a big bat? Well that would be nice. Soriano would have been perfect because he steals bases too. But don’t forget this is the team that had the best record following the All-Star break. The pitching will keep them in the running. My pick to win it all. :D

I think they will make a serious push for Andruw Jones of Atlanta. Jones will be a free agent next year and will be very easy to trade for a 3rd or 4th best minor league pitcher and a mid level couple of prospects.
I love your closer and love your shortstop on defense (I still miss him. I really love that taco bell dog Orlando Cabrera) If you can slip Vladamir Guerrero to the fourth spot and get Jones in the third spot while moving Jones to DH the angels will be a real contender.
Great job with all the teams. Very in depth. Impressive!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Lord Rengo

The Magus' Army

33445 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Cedric wrote:
4. Houston – Solid all around, but nothing noteworthy. They’ll be bumped up if they get Schilling.

You probably mean Clemens. I highly doubt that Houston will be getting Schilling. He's not going anywhere.

Well, here we go.

AL East:

1. Boston - Best team ever. Duh. Daisuke Matsuzaka? 31-1, .55 ERA, 350 Ks. Schilling: 20-4, 2.45 ERA, 220 Ks. Beckett: 19-10, 4.00 ERA, 500000 Ks, 4500 HRs. Ortiz: .400 avg. .680 OBP, 95 HRs, 356 RBI. Manny: .500 avg, .800 OBP, 70 HRs, 350 RBI. Drew's gonna suck, but we have the two mentioned before.

2. New York - They suck! They're gonna miss the post season by 5 games. They're going to choke the wildcard away losing their last 10 games of the season. Hahahaha.

3. Toronto - Definately can't possibly lose to Baltimore or Tampa Bay. Didn't really change too much though, so a decent team. Ted Lilly's gone, so that's good for the Red Sox (bad for every other team, since he only did well against us for some reason <_<).

4. Tampa Bay - This is a tough one, Baltimore and Tampa will be battling for last place. It'll be close and exciting, but I think Baltimore pulls through and clinches it on the last day. Both teams suck something else, but Tampa's just a little better... maybe. (Kazmir owns >.< Trade him to the Sox!!!)

5. Baltimore - Pretty much the above explains this enough.

AL Central:

1. Detroit - With Sheffield, their offense improves. Although they won't do as well as the beginning of last year, they'll make it to the top of the central with about 93-94 wins. Detroit should have won last year, but they completely choked both the division and in the World Series.

2. Minnesota - Liriano-less Twins won't do as well as last year. They still have Santana, but who else? One starting pitcher really can't carry a team (but they do have a nice closer and pretty good offense). Wildcard with about 90-92 wins.

3. Cleveland - They'll improve a bit over last year. However, they still will be just average. Maybe 80-85 wins.

4. Chicago - They'll probably be higher, I just don't like them, so I'm going to put them wherever the hell I want. Their closer sucks too.

5. Kansas City - The worst franchise in baseball. Putting them above last is an insult to the league.

AL West:

1. Los Angeles - While Oakland is always in the race, they just never seem to be an actual threat to do much. Angels should take the division easy.

2. Oakland - They'll be in the race until the end but they'll fall short as they have done for the past few years (other than last year). But even if they do make the playoffs, it's a given they're out in the first round anyway. They're built to make the playoffs, not win in them.

3. Texas - Good offense in a good offense stadium but bad pitching in a bad pitching stadium. Game over for them.

4. Seattle - Seattle sucks. End of story.

NL East:

1. Philadelphia - I like this team, a little bit. They've got some pretty good players. I'm going to say they take the division this year.

2. NY Mets - Pretty good last year. They should have been in the World Series but much like the Tigers, couldn't get it done. They won't repeat as division champs. They'll get the Wildcard.

3. Atlanta - No reason to believe they got much better this year. From what little I saw of them last year, they weren't very good.

4. Florida - Could have been higher if they didn't fire their manager. I never expected them to do so well last year, but because of the manager change I think they will drop a bit. Who knows, they may surprise some people.

5. Washington - Another really bad team. They were bad last year, they got worse this year.

NL Central:

1. Chicago - They improved. Last year, this division was awful. The only reason St. Louis made the playoffs was because of that. Assuming the team doesn't just drop dead with injuries (Prior doesn't count, he's obviously done for the year anyway. Even if he does come back, it'll only be an inning before he gets hit by another ball).

2. St. Louis - Shouldn't have won the World Series last year, but did. They should do a little better this year. Last year they did get pretty unlucky with a couple of injuries. We'll see how they do. I just think the Cubs will actually pull through.

3. Cincinnati - They'll be a few games under .500.

4. Houston - Lidge needs a comeback player of the year year or something. Last year he just sucked awful. These guys can do well if they get Clemens, which if he does come back, it will probably be with them.

5. Milwaukee - Not very good. Started out hot last year, but it didn't last.

6. Pittsburgh - Really really bad.

NL West:

1. Los Angeles - Last year they were Red Sox West. Now that Mueller has retired and gone into the front office, they've lost part of that, but still. They still have Nomar, Lowe, and Little. I like this team to take the weak NL West.

2. San Diego - Second place in the division. I don't pay attention to the NL West much so I can't say much about the other teams in this division, except that Bonds' sucks.

3. Arizona

4. Colorado

5. San Francisco

Playoffs:

ALDS- Boston over Minnesota
Detroit over Los Angeles

NLDS- New York over Chicago
Los Angeles over Philadelpia

ALCS- Boston over Detroit
NLCS- Los Angeles over New York

World Series- Boston over Los Angeles

The Shins

247440 Potch
1500 Soldiers
400 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Lord Rengo wrote:
1. Chicago - They improved. Last year, this division was awful. The only reason St. Louis made the playoffs was because of that. Assuming the team doesn't just drop dead with injuries (Prior doesn't count, he's obviously done for the year anyway. Even if he does come back, it'll only be an inning before he gets hit by another ball).

You do know what Cubs stands for right? Completely Useless By September. Remember that.
Locke

Poker of Doom

157293 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
5. Milwaukee - Not very good. Started out hot last year, but it didn't last.

The reason the second half was so bad was other than Turnbow imploding was, when you lose 3/5ths of your starting infield no good will come from that.

3 Time Suikox WWE Fantasy Champion
shuxion

1500 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

HAHAHA I put St. Louis in the world series and losing to the dodgers in the NLCS... Me so smart I meant LA Didgers losing to Minnesota in the world series!!!!
Cedric

Sol Ciel

472542 Potch
200 Soldiers
62 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Shuxion wrote:
I think they will make a serious push for Andruw Jones of Atlanta. Jones will be a free agent next year and will be very easy to trade for a 3rd or 4th best minor league pitcher and a mid level couple of prospects.

That would be fine with me! Jones has turned into a great power hitter, but he can still hit for contact. He plays the outfield position, so he could spell Vladimir Guerrero and Garret Anderson if they need it (I want Matthews Jr. out there every day if possible).

I only see one problem though and that would be the return of Juan Rivera. Assuming Shea Hillenbrand is the odd man out, (we signed him for one year only) that would make Matthews, Guerrero, Anderson, Rivera, and Jones as the outfield. Those players need to be in the lineup every day to be consistent hitters and there’s only room for 4 of them every night (outfield spots plus the designated hitter). It will be even more complicated if Hillenbrand does extremely well. We would then resign him.

I see Jones as a long shot unless the team trades away Rivera (I hope not) and releases Hillenbrand at the end of the year. And I don’t know if I want Jones DHing. He’s a good fielder.

I think the team will address the issues with third base before flirting with the outfield.

Quote:
I love your closer

Yeah, Francisco Rodriguez is a freak of nature. Personally, I believe he just surpassed Mariano Rivera as the best current closer in the game. However, he has a long ways to go to catch up with such greatness. I’m glad I saw Rivera at his prime. It’s a nice vision of the future for Frankie.

Joe Nathan is also a great closer, but I think Frankie has better stuff; if only by a little.

Quote:
and love your shortstop

I think he’s going to be much more important to us this year than ever. Darin Erstad, Tim Salmon, and Adam Kennedy left the club. Those were three veterans that acted as leaders on the team; especially Erstad. Along with Garret Anderson, Cabrera is stepping up as one of the new team leaders. He’s always talking with the infield telling them where to set up. You can see it plainly if you attend their games. And on TV, you see him talking to the younger guys seemingly talking about the game. In terms of talent, they are better this year, but it’s all up to Anderson and Orlando Cabrera to create some chemistry on the team.

Lord Rengo wrote:
You probably mean Clemens. I highly doubt that Houston will be getting Schilling. He's not going anywhere.

Yeah, I meant Clemens. Whew, that’s an embarrassing error.

And hot damn, your Boston stats are amazing! :D If they’re capable of that, no one stands a chance!

I think your only close number is Josh Beckett. 19 wins? A bit too much if you ask me. I say 18 or 17 wins with the 10 losses as you said. I think this is a breakout year for him and he might get some consideration for the Cy Young.

Personally, I’m pulling for John Lackey or Jared Weaver, but whatever.

By the way, after further consideration, I’m switching Detroit and Chicago around. I think their pitching staff is much better regardless of the inevitable adjustments the hitters will make to Detroit’s rookie pitchers. And I’m thinking Detroit’s hitters will have another fast start like last year.

The Hokies

74481 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
4. Seattle – Jose Guillen, Jarod Washburn, Jeff Weaver, and Adrian Beltre used to be common sights for me as an Angel/Dodger fan. But they’re gone now and they haven’t done anything important since they left. And here’s hoping their slump continues. I have nothing against them. They’re just on the other team. I hope Ichiro moves to one of the Southern California teams. We could use some more overseas tourism.

For the Angels/Dodgers? Maybe not. But Jeff Weaver was a huge reason why the Cardinals won the World Series. The Cardinals don't win it without him.

Quote:

2. St. Louis - Shouldn't have won the World Series last year, but did. They should do a little better this year. Last year they did get pretty unlucky with a couple of injuries. We'll see how they do. I just think the Cubs will actually pull through.

No love for the defending World Champs. Course, they only won 83 games, they didn't deserve to be there. They play in a weak division. Aside from the fact that they beat the Mets from a superior division, and dominated a supposedly superior AL Detroit team, all this talk should've ended long ago. People like to forget the fact that the team had won 100 games in consecutive years before last season. They were just injury plagued all of last year, and gelled at the right time.

The Cards also have better starting pitching than last year, at the expense of the closer position (Isringhausen sucks). Losing Weaver (although he was a favorite of mine during his stellar postseason run) and Marquis are hardly what I would call substantial losses. Wainright and Reyes both have more talent then those bums. Wells is being fixed by Duncan, and will benefit from being on a winning organization. Carpenter is Carpenter. Braden Looper is the weak spot, but he's had a solid spring.

My Picks

AL EAST:

1) Yanks
2) Red Sox
3) Blue Jays
4) Devil Rays
5) Orioles

AL Central
1) Detroit
2) Chicago
3) Cleveland
4) Minnesota
5) Kansas City

AL West
1) Oakland
2) Anaheim
3) Seattle
4) Texas

NL East
1) Mess
2) Braves
3) Philly
4) Marlins
5) Washington

NL Central
1) St. Louis
2) Houston
3) Chicago - Bunch of terrible contracts. Speaking of terrible contracts, the Cubs sure will have fun with Jason Marquis... In Wrigley...There's always next year.
4) Milwaukee
5) Cincy
6) Pittsburgh

NL West

1) San Diego
2) Colorado
3) Los Angeles
4) Arizona
5) San Francisco

World Series:

Cards over Yanks
shuxion

1500 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

[quote="Cedric"]
That would be fine with me! Jones has turned into a great power hitter, but he can still hit for contact.

I only see one problem though and that would be the return of Juan Rivera.

I see Jones as a long shot unless the team trades away Rivera (I hope not) and releases Hillenbrand at the end of the year. And I don’t know if I want Jones DHing. He’s a good fielder.

[quote]
He will not be signed long term. He will be a one year world series hopeful. As for Riviera, he is good but I could see him riding the pine if they get Jones. Maybe stick Jones in left since he is a bit slower than Matthews. I am a redsox fan, born and raised, so I am not on top of the Angels lineup and outfield so sorry if I make a mistake.
shuxion

1500 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Oh BTW if you want to stay up to date on lots of baseball rumors check out http://www.mlbtraderumors.com They have reported many trades before ESPN does due to them having a mole in every market glued to sports radio.
RedCydranth

Ice Dragons

3650446 Potch
194 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I know the season just started, but its still far too early to consider my thoughts cheating. So here's my predictions for this year. I'll start in the NL since its the better league.

National League

East

1. Atlanta Braves - I really think the Braves had a bad year last year. They're still a solid club all around and Bobby Cox is still the best manager in the league except for maybe Joe Torre. Look for a collossal trade for Andruw Jones to bolster their somewhat weak contact hitters. John Smoltz, if he stays healthy, is a definite candidate for the NL Cy Young, and look for the Braves closers to actually do their job. Bob Wickman should be leading that frontier.

2. Philadelphia Phillies - This team looks damn good. If it weren't for those pesky Braves, the East would belong to the Phillies. They have the great hitters with Utley, Rollins and the ever potent Howard, but its their starting rotation I have a bit of a problem with. Aside from Jamie Moyer, I'm hesitant to say they'll be astounding, but their bullpen can be their saving grace. Alfonseca is a great mid game pitcher who can preserve a lead for their ace closer, Tom Gordon. If the Phillies can keep a lead into the 5th or 6th inning, look for their bullpen to close the games out without much problems. And with hitting from their big bats, that shouldn't be much of a problem.

3. New York Mets - On paper, this should be the standout team. Serously, their line-up of pitchers are great. Tom Glavine and Orlando Hernandez will pick up a lot of wins, and John Maine looks a lot better than he did last year. When Pedro comes back, look for the pitching to improve even more. However their problems lie in their midgame pitching. Once Tom Glavine gets into the 5th inning, he gets weaker so they need a decent releiver. Personally I don't think Feliciano will do what they need. and by the time Wagner gets the ball, they'll be barely holding a lead, if at all. Offensively the Mets are stacked well on paper, but many of their players, if injured will have no suitable replacements. A great example is new power bat, Carlos Delgado. If he gets hurt, the only suitable 1st basemen is the fossil Julio Franco. I think he was fighting the Japanese with my grandfather, lol. Anyhow, the Mets do have portential to be great, but 1 or 2 injuries will really bog them down more than most teams. and until Pedro comes back, look for them to swim around .600 win percentage. Once he comes back, it may improve depending on how hurt the Mets are.

4. Florida MArlins - Its funny that everyoner thinks the closest division will be the AL centrasl because if you look at the NL east, there's 4 great teams that can win. And most likely the Wild Card will come from the East too. Florida won't make the playoffs only because they're stuck in the east with the Phillies, Braves and Mets who will be better. Florida has Dontrell Willis as their ace, but they don't have much more than that. They'll be relying on the bats of Cabrera and Boone for their power. And Boone isn't what he was a few years ago. They'll be decent but not good enough.

5. Washington Nationals - I see nothing on this team that makes me think they're going to even come close to contending. I have no clue why they threw away the only player they had that was any good in Alfonso Soriano. But hey, the Expos were known for making dolt moves the whole time they were in Montreal, no reason the new look Expos aka Nationals shouldn't follow suit. And just like the Expos, the Nationals will be a basement scraping team. Too bad there's no big draft like in the NFL where basement crawlers get rewarded for sucking ass.

Central

1.St. Louis Cardinals - Safety Pick. I really don't care for the team much, but as the defending world chapions they are a good team. Pujols, Eckstein, Molina and Edmonds is a power team. Scott Rolen, So Taguchi and Scott Spezio aren't too shabby either. Toss in they have potential Cy Young hurler Chris Carpenter (who did atrocious opening day, by the way) and a staff of pretty good pitchers and there's no denying this team's talent and flexiility. There's no way these guys aren't making the playoffs. And their competition in the Central isn't that stiff.

2. Cincinnati Reds - Taking a ballsy second pick here. Dispite improvements to Milwaukee and Houston, I think the Reds will surprise everyone and make a push for Wild Card. Griffey can stay healthy if he tries, especially now that he's shifted to Left field. The bats of Adam Dunn, Encarnacion (thats fun to say!), Alex Gonzales and Ryan Freel compliment their great pitching well. Bronson Arroyo and Aaron Harang as their aces with a decent staff of releivers and 3-5 pitchers in their rotation, there's no reason to see the Reds not to succeed. If they make a trade for a top closer, they'll definitely push hard for that wild card.

3. Houston Astros - I really think this is the team Roger Clemens is going to go to if anywhere. And we're all thinking Roger is some sort of demi-god that will save a franchise if its in some hot water. Hate to break it to all of you, he's old and will eventually break down. Thus far he's been a superman, but in reality, he's wearing down. If he joins anyone, it won't be until around All-Star break in July. Thats a huge chunk of the season lost. And I don't see anyone but Ry Oswalt making any major starts for this team. They have an excellent closer with Brad Lidge, but the thing with closers is you need to be winning to maximize their efficiency. With a mediocre pitching rotation they'll direly need a superman Clemens to bolster Oswalt. Offensively the Astros are okay, aside from Craig Biggio who is only around to break milestones, they have an okay lineup of hitters. Carlos Lee, Berkman and Ausmus are okay, but with poor pitching a good hitting team can only bust a few games open. The Astros need some help if they want to contend.

4. Milwaukee Brewers - I heard someone on ESPN crown these guys with the upset team of the year. If so, good for Milwaukee, they frigging need it. But I don't see it happening. Now, I'm NOT claiming to be an expert as I only pay attention to baseball once the season starts and not during spring training and the off-season, but the Brew crew look mediocre. Ben Sheets is great, I'll give him his Cy Young nod now. And having Turnbow backing him up is great. But the rest of the rotation is ridiculous. Turnbow will need some days off, and those are the days that teams will pound the Brewers. And on the offense, I don't see much telling me that they'll be a dominating force. In the same division as the Cardinals, there's no way they'll overtake them. I don't see them doing as well as the Reds or the in trouble Astros. I may be wrong about ithis, if so, great for them, but once again I see the Milwaukee Berrmen as a sub .500 ballclub.

5. Chicago Cubs - LOL @ Completewly Useless By September. That's clever. However this year they're completely useless in April. The Cubs tried to make a big move by nabbing Soriano from the Nats, but really I don't see that 1 player making the impact they hope for. He's a good supplement to Derrek Lee and Aramis Ramirez but without a great staff of pitchers, they're floundering. Zambrano looks good, he does. and if by some miracle they can get Wood and Prior back to their Glory, maybe they have a shot at finishing .500 but really Wood has been too hurt and Prior has lost his groove. The Cubs are not going anywhere this year.

6. Pittsburgh Pirates - The Pirates are a team I would love to see be good. But they've got nothing to be proud of. Thier shining spot is Jason Bay, the canadian phenom stuck on a terrible team. Pitching is horrid. Their opening day ace is Zachary Duke who, if on most other teams would be filling the 3 or 4 spot in the rotation. And releif-wise they have Shawn Chacon who flunked out of the releif spot in New York and has shown mediocre numbers since. The Pirates are a team that will be in the basement for years to come. Have a seat with the Royals and Devil Rays.

West

1. Los Angeles Dodgers - The NL West is a division with a lot of fight. Not for the NL crown mind you, but just for the spot that the NL west is guaranteed in the playoffs. Should the league ever decide that the 4 best teams overall go to the playoffs, all 5 teams in the west would stand little chance of a post season appearance. But because 1 team is guaranteed their spot as NL west champion, I select the LA Dodgers. The Dodgers are the best in a group of only decent teams. If the Dodgers were placed it the central or West they'd suffer much more. But they've got a good lineup of batters with Furcal (who's hurt right now), Kent, Garciaparra, Pierre and Gonzalez. That line-up alone is the only reason I have them taking the West. Pitching they're on par with the rest of the division. Lowe and Schmidt are good pitchers but with little else on the rotation to make a big impact, the Dodgers will need to rely a lot on offense and not on pitching to make the grade.

2. San Diego Padres - They won the West last year. They're a fun team to root for because they're still the underdogs dispite showng they've got a potent team last year. Unlike the Dodgers, their strength relies on pitching and mediocre battting to make the grade. David Wells and Greg Maddux are nice boosts to the rotation dispite being ancient. Maddus is my favorite player in the Majors, so I won't knock him too hard for the age thing because I see him having a great year. Peavy and Young should also have a good year. But their starters will only last into thr 5th or 6th innings, exspecially in Wells' case. He's never been a complete game pitcher really. Except when he was on the Yankees. Anyhow, offensively the Padres need a boost. They don't have any big hitters to bank on. Brian Giles? Not a really big hitter to bank upon. Mike Cameron is good but he's no rally starter. The Padres have one of the best pitching lineups in the league but without a hitting staff to compliment their aces, they're not going to make it too far.

3. Arizona Diamondbacks - They look okay, but not great. But because they share a division with the Rockies and Giants, they'll be finishing third place. They've got an okay set of pitchers and hitter, but nothing shining. Adding Randy Johnson might be a mistake. He's not as great as he was and he's not better than the younger and stronger Livan Hernandez. The Diamondbacks will be a .500 club at most.

4. San Francisco Giants - Its hillarious I have to retype Francisco twice, considering my first name is Francis. What the hell. Anyhow, the Giants only highlight this year will be Barry Bonds breaking Hank Aarons home run record. The rest of the team will suffer from the media and hype. Barry Zito might have a good year, depending if the hitters decide to show up the days that he is pitching. Aging Omar Visquel at Shortstop could be their other source of RBIs aside from Bonds. Aside from him and Aurilia, I don't see many quality hitters. Pitchers are moderate at best but overall the Giants are bad.

5. Colorado Rockies - You'd think since they have the advantage of the Mile High stadium they'd buck up their batters with power ball hitters but no. Instead they have guys like Kaz Matsui, John Mabry and Steve Finley who are perpetual in the park hitters. Not that those three suck, but in a ballpark like Coors Field you'd think they'd opt for more power hitters. Or at least guys who occasionally pull a hoer out of their tanks. Of the three, none had more than 1 Home Runs last year. Kaz tops the three with 9. But I think they're looking for their power with Helton and Holliday. Regardless of the advantage iof the thin air half of the year, their pitchers will be surrendering more longballs than the Rockies will be slugging out this year. Their rotation of pitchers is as bad as it gets.

American League

East

1. New York Yankees - Damn it. Damn it all to hell. I really wanted the Red Sox or the Blue Jays to be the best team here, but its gota be the Yankees. I seriously hope to god its not but you cant deny the Steinbrenner Boys their due. With talent like this, how can they not win this division. A-rod , Damn, Matui, Jeter, Posada and Abreu. For christs sake! Oh, lest I forget Giambi as the frigging DH. This team is a bunch of All-Stars, yet somehow they'll find a way to lose it all in the playoffs, just watch. And thats just the hitting too. Pitchingwise they have Carl Pavano, Mike Mussina, Andy Pettitte is back in pinstripes too. When Wang gets back, make thast a 1-2-3-4 punch thats nearly unbreakable. And in releif you have Farnsworth and Mariano Riviera. What the crap is that! On paper this team looks invincible. The Major Leagues seriously need a Salary cap or something.

2. Toronto Blue Jays - Dispite all their best efforts, they'll come in second. A Wild Card spot might squeak their way if something wierd happens in the Central division. Most likely not though. The Blue Jays in any other AL division would be dominant. However, stuck with the Red Sox and Yankees, they're destined to look worse than they are. Look at this line-up and tell me they aren't a great team. Lyle Overbay, Troy Glaus, Vernon Wells, Matt Stairs, Frank Thomas, Royce Clayton. With pitching starters like Roy Halliday (Cy Young candidate), A.J. Burnett and releivers Victor Zambrano and B.J. Ryan, these Blue Jays would be kings in the West and definitely contend big time in the central. Hell, if New York falls apart, they have a shot at the East really. But I don't see the Yanks falling. Sadly.

3. Boston Red Sox - Another team that was built to beat the Yankees and not the rest of the league. They may claim some games against their rivals, but in general I see the Sox falling to third overall. Upstart Toronto will take them over in August. As will injuries. Adding hurler Daisuke Matsuzaka was cool and all, but he's not going to be the savior that lifts them into the playoffs. A sound team all around, I'll give them that. But in the same division with New York and Toronto, they're going to need some juck with injuries and some incredible hitting. They have one of the best outfields in the game though, with JD Drew, Coco Crisp and Manny Ramirez. Its not enough to get them

4. Baltimore Orioles - This is a team that is amidst a building process that inevitably will lead them nowhere. Because they're stuck with the perrenial powerhouse Yankees and the very competative Red Sox, poor Oriole fans will always be in the position to follow behind. Miguel Tejada is the only person who is able to make any difference offensively really. One thing to say to Baltimore fans, at least you aren't the Devil Rays.

5. Tampa Bay Devil Rays - It doesn't matter really does it? Seriously. Whats there to say about this team that we really don't know. Seriously, I can't think of a single player for the team that is even worth watching. Maybe they'll have a standout rookie or something, but aside from some new player rising to possible great play, they're the D-Rays. I predict a .150 win percentage.

Central

1. Minnesota Twins - Do you remember the Twins last year? Most people do, barely. All the focus was on Detroit, but it was actually Minnesota that won the Central last year, dispite all the noise Detroit made in the playoffs. Minnesota is a stellar club that has great potential for a long playoff push, maybe meeting New York in the ALCS. Johan Santana is an early favorite for the Cy Young. Joe Mauer was the AL batting crown last year and hopefully looks to repeat it. Morneau was the MVP, remember? Maybe not, because those Tigers hogged the spotlight, but last years Twins team was the first in ages to have the Cy Young, Batting champion and the MVP all on the same team. A lot of greatness that the public seemingly forgot about.

2. Detroit Tigers - Just like last year, they'll be a great team, but this year is different. Rather than being the surprise, this year they'll have a target on their backs. Nobody will take this team lightly from day 1 until the final day of the year. They have a strong rotation and a great supply of hitters to back them up. Defensively on the feild they're pretty good too. Adding Gary Sheffield to the middle of their line-up should be the push they need to get them over the hump and maybe take the division, but I forsee injuries in the future. Its the way of the champion team. You do good one year, injuries plague you the following year. It happens all the time.

3. Cleveland Indians - Here's my bold AL Central move, picking the Indians to oust the White Sox. Yes, I have that much faith in this ragtag group. While not garnishing a serious block of all-stats like the Yankees, Red Sox and Twins have, they have a group of players that work well together and their staff of pitchers look to be a healthy line-up. If C.C. Sebathia picks up like he did last year, look out Al Central. The rest of the pitchers don't come off as amazing, but I think they'll do better than everyone thinks.

4. Chicago White Sox - I think I'm the only one who thinks ozzie Guillen is a terrible Manager who focuses more about what the press thinks than what happens on the field. A manager should be a diciplinariuan and a role model, not a general telling his players to literally fight it out on the field. He has a good spirit, but its directed in the wrong manner. I think his attitude and lack of judgement pulls the team in the wrong direction and the team loses focus, which should be on the AL pennant, not on beaning the other team's best hitters. They have good talent, but its wasted if the manager can't handle his team.

5. Kansas City Royals - I wish the Royals would be good. If I could make 1 team good that sucks monkey nuts, it'd be the Royals (or Pirates maybe) because they're due. They go through good player after good player (usually good pitchers) but they never go anywhere. Even in the era where the AL Central was a wasteland, they were the most wasted. I hope Gil Meche has a 20 win season just to perk the KC spirits up a bit.

West

1. Oakland Athletics - This is a hopeful pick. The AL West is a terrible division, much like the NL West. It doesn't matter who comes out on top, they'll be the worst team in the playoffs. I pick Oakland just because of favoritism. They've got a decent club and will be in the running, alongside the Angels. The Rangers and Mariners have no shot.

2. Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim - The worst name for a team ever. Seriously. If they're in Anaheim, they're the fricking Anaheim Angels. For god's sakes you'd think they'd be in San Francisco with all the identity crisis' this team goes through. First they're the California Angels, then they're the Anaheim Angels, now they're the LA Angels. What the hell. Regardless of their retaded name, they've got a group of players that will cintend with the A's for the division, but won't go any further. No Wild Card hopes, just a push for the title of AL West's best.

3. Texas Rangers - Kevin Milwood is their big ace? He's proven to be relatively unreliable. Balylock and Texiera will have good offensive years. I hope Texiera leaves mid-season to a better club because he deserves to win for a change. Texas leads a .500 season at best. Sammy Sosa, you've picked the wrong team to ride into the sunset with. You should have gone back to the Cubs for a lot less money and gone out with a smile.

4. Seattle Mariners - Blah. Ichiro Suzuki is this team's biggest thrill, and he's not even a home run hitter. Richie Sexon will probably have a decent year in hopes that in the off season he can sign with a better team. Maybe. I dunno. Nobody cares about the Mariners anymore, nor has anyone since Ken Griffey Jr. and Randy Johnson were there. And that was what, 10 years ago? Poor Mariners.

----------

NL Playoffs:

Braves vs. Dodgers
Cardinals vs. Phillies

NLCS: Braves vs. Cardinals

AL Playoffs:

Yankees vs. Tigers
Athletics vs. Twins

ALCS: Twins vs. Yankees

World Series: Cardinals vs. Twins
Twins win series a 4-3 thriller.

Fantasy Football (NFL) Sign Ups in Sports Forum!
Locke

Poker of Doom

157293 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yes its only May 2nd, but it sure is nice to say that the Milwaukee Brewers at the moment have the best record in all of Major League Baseball.

Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The day all Giants fans and followers of blue-chip prospects have been looking forward to may just happen this coming Sunday. The Giants have just placed Russ Ortiz on the 15-day DL. This opens up his scheduled start this Sunday. Even though it hasn't been confirmed the Giants will call up phenom Tim Lincecum from Triple-A in Fresno to start for Sunday.

Tim Lincecum was seen by many in last year's Baseball Draft as the best pitcher in the draft. He was high on most of the top 10 teams picking in the draft but his height of 5'10" and an explosive wind-up and follow-thru were issues for some so he ended up falling to the Giants at 10th spot. Despite his height this kid has a nasty and live high-90's fastball which consistently reaches 100+ mph. His curveball has been graded at "A" and he can also throw a slider and a change-up for strikes when needed.

Quote:
Lincecum is 4-0 with a 0.29 ERA in four starts at Fresno. He has allowed one run on 12 hits in 31 innings, walking 11 and striking out 46. That includes a 14-strikeout game against Colorado Springs in his last start Sunday. He was scheduled to pitch against Las Vegas tonight.

Just to see how much some of the baseball gurus just seem to love this kid and his skills this article says it all: Controlled Fury from BBTF.

Poker of Doom

157293 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm still waiting for the Brewers to call up Ryan Braun. Great bat, defense on the other hand...

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Sports All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: