Suikoden Ugly and Illusional Kosher Original Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Arc The Lad:Twilight of The Spirits Discussion
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beethoven4567

Sacred Guards

39804 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 1:05 pm    Post subject: Arc The Lad:Twilight of The Spirits Discussion Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Has anyone played this game? I've finished it and it is quite a nice game but it still has a few faults. I liked the storyline regarding the conflict that exists for a long time between the humans and Deimos and the opposing ideals that the two brothers, Darc and Kharg held that sparked a duel between them. The Dilzweld Empire is cool too. They reminded me of Galbadian soldiers in FF8.

The best part of Arc The Lad:TOTS is Darc's voice, " So you defy me!". The voices of Delma and Paulette is funny too.
Blackjack

78881 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Beethoven4567 wrote:
The best part of Arc The Lad:TOTS is Darc's voice

Lemme fix that for you. "The best part of Arc The Lad: TOTS is Bebedora."

There ya go. All better. ;)

This was an all right game. It'd have been much better if the Kharg chapters were completely removed, though. I hated that party and storyline. It was way too boring ( in regards to the party) and cliche (in terms of the storyline).

I remember being sad when Camilla or whatever her name was had the spell she was under reversed. She was way cooler as the shriveled little onion thing, in my opinion. :D

YES. YES IT CAN.

"Life is not a having and a getting, but a being and a becoming." -- Myrna Loy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Sierra Mikain

Blue Moon

19500 Potch
0 Soldiers
666 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I found myself to be completely uninterested in this game until the final boss. It was real fun letting him whip the crap out of me. I recently rented this game out to my coworker and his wife and they both hated it.

I beat the game over a year ago (I think) so please forgive me if my pro's and con's aren't exactly detailed and sure fire.

I liked:
The way you can move your characters around the boards to attack.
The difficulty level

I didn't like:
The story - Just so loose and boring. I can't even recall most of it.. a sign it was really bad.
The Deimos - Every time in these chapters, especially early on, I couldn't help but wonder... why won't I stop playing?
The Voices of the Characters - Over act anyone? Especially the deimos!!!!!
ANY of the Characters - Whiney... stupid... yet heroic. RPG stereotypes, the lot of em.
The fact that it took me over two hours to beat the final boss - Every time he did his special attack, I lost all of my party but one member who then had to revive everyone just in time for them to get annihilated again.

Blackjack wrote:

The best part of Arc The Lad: TOTS is Bebedora

Actually, it was Geedo, because of her hotness... :?

The Squirrel Mob

68112 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Isn't there already a thread for discussing Arc the Lad games? Oh well I might as well vent my true feelings about this game here. This game was horrible. The storyline destroyed the world that was built up in the previous three games. The characters are quite uninteresting except for maybe one or two at best. Then the entire game is saturated is pacifist sentiments. This is an RPG, I don't want to hear sermons about how fighting is wrong in an RPG. I want to slay dragons, wage wars, and destroy evil not listen to some girl whine about how fighting is wrong. That girl honestly is what changes the game from an okay one to a horrible one.

Don't get me started on how they ruined Choko in this game and how Deikbeck shouldn't have been fully repaired. The weapon system might be an interesting idea, but it is poorly implemented. How the heck are you supposed to remove a coating and then place it on a different weapon.

About the only good point that I can honostly find in this game is the battle system(and maybe the level up system I forgot what that was like). The battle system was quite well done. I would say that it was innovative, but I believe that it was done in Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter first. It is still quite well though. However a good battle system isn't enough to save this game.

Titles: Harmonian Tenki Star, Harmonian Jousting Champion
Eggith Cyrene

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

TOTS is an arc game so when it came out a 2 years ago i rushed to pick it up. The biggest disapointment for me is that sony didnt locaize in the spirt of the past games. Meaning that some names and events were translated differently. (ie "The Dark One" in the WD Trillogy and "black lord of the abyss" in TOTS

Next up is the cliched stoyline at least in regards to kharg and his crew.

THe one thing that i kept yelling at the screen is that each side BLAMES the entire other side for thier conflict. and cant acknowledge that just because A small group of people are Evil Does NOT mean that thier entire Speceis should be jugded on it.

That aside i thought it was a preety good game. And i really need to play it a second time. the fact that you could choose your side is preety cool at the end. Dont know about you but i relished whipping Kharg's sorry ass at the end of chapter 5. (i think it was 5? meh)

Suikoden 5 didnt make me less of a fan; it restored my faith after the abomination that was suikoden 4.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
MMan9000

Animal Rangers

3075764 Potch
275 Soldiers
400 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I thought that it was a pretty good game, but it could've been better if Working Designs did it. I think that they could've done better since they did the first three, and they would know more then Sony about the series in general.

I thought that Darc's chapters were better (is he the deimos?) then Kharg. I just seemed to like them better. I personally thought that Darc had easier chapters (judging by the fact that I got Choko, and gave up on Diekback). I liked most of the characters, but would've liked it better if there were more returning characters in it.

Official Smoke Bomb User

Space For Rent. Contact Me for Details
Eggith Cyrene

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well im glad sony went ahead and localized it. They did it a bit differently. But If Working Designs Localized it we would STILL be waiting for it. Sony got that over here withen 3 months after its Japanese release. SO i can put up with the minor translation differences. (its annoying in the anime how the names are slighty different than the WD localization but meh)

Suikoden 5 didnt make me less of a fan; it restored my faith after the abomination that was suikoden 4.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Shrew

The All-Star Rock n' Breakdance Electronic Band from Shenzhen

237023 Potch
110 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I actually rather like the game's story. I saw it as an interesting play on racial relations and ignorance in a segregated world. It's a world that has split these two groups into very separate parts, and they have almost no interaction. And so they remain ignorant of each other and never try to understand. They only see each other as strange and completely separate beings that have no connection.

It actually strikes me as having very American themes, and an American take on them. They just still have Japanese characters and style.

Fear our Vagueness.
Beethoven4567

Sacred Guards

39804 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

One of the things that made me disliked the game was a lack of personal interaction between the characters since they're too busy going after the Spirit Stones and there are only a few towns that you can visit in the game and most of the towns are bland and boring, especially the NPCs, which have nothing interesting to say.
lunar shadows

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I love the arc the lad series. When I played twilight of the spirit, it became one of my favorite ps2 games. I'm in my 3rd round of the game

-SPOILER FOR ARC THE LAD: TWILIGHT OF THE SPIRIT-

I really liked the suspense of the story. It was unpredictable in my opinion and it was a really interesting story. :mrgreen:

The characters were cool. I liked most of them, including Bebedora, Volk, and Tasjnaha. I also liked how chamelia was able to morph into such a cool look from that ugly one. Getting secret characters Choco and Deibeck were hard though, but I did manage to get both. I also liked searching for the imposters of deibeck. I HATED gedda though. She was so mean, ugly, stupid, ugly, fat, ugly, and ugly that I was SO happy when you were able to get rid of her. :D

The battle system was good, but I always hated when you would leave an item behind and not get it if you finished fighting before getting it. However, it was great that if you had the right character, such as Meru, you could hit more than one enemy/boss at once.

The revival medicine was gold though, because when used, it would completely recover the character. I always hated when I would revive a character, they get low HP, and the enemy knocks them back down.
:evil:

I also liked fighting the king of the black abyss. I enjoyed the challange of keeping all the characters leaned up against the wall and having to defeat his eye balls in order to remove the evil black smoke from him and make him easier to get HP off of.
:D

I look foward to the new addition to this series. It's coming out in May (unless if there has been some changes) and there are so many returning characters. Actually, the main 10 characters from this game have been announed to be playable in it :mrgreen:
Tendou Souji

CLIMAX JUMP!

758170 Potch
2000 Soldiers
2225 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Honestly, i was very dissapointed by TOTS.It really sucked.My fav was 3.The hunter system, the card system, it's all very pleasing.Especially the sidestories that go along with the jobs, like Spicy, if you remember, who never had any luck in relationships, and the rival hunter team,which name i forgot.I think by this it should take to about 2 months of gametime to reach 100%.Best Arc The Lad ever!

And, in case you don't know, they're making an Arc The Lad:End Of Darkness right now.It takes time a few years after TOTS, and is said to be the finale of the Arc The Lad series.
Sage

The Invincible Weeds

803820 Potch
0 Soldiers
2 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I liked it, but not as much as the previous games. I also wouldn't have minded if WD did the work and it took them a while, because they have a good track record as far as I'm concerned (I'll ignore vanguard bandits for now). I hate "chapters" or "missions" in games though. It's the one item that I really disliked in games like Suikoden III, Devil May Cry, TOTS, and others. I don't mind two-party games where I can switch between them or both are enjoyable enough for me not to really care. However, in TOTS, I grew fond of one side or the other and rushed through one side's story to get to the next switch. I don't like playing games that way, but it's how it happens. Overall, the story's a little cliche (and so is using the term cliche :) ), the characters for the most part are bland and predictable, but I enjoyed it. Besides, I like Arc's trademark battle system.

Sacred Guards

39804 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Anyway, to those who have played the game,who do you like better in terms of personality-Kharg or Darc? And which female character do you like from the following:

1.Lillia
2.Paulette
3.Camellia
4.Bebedora
5.Tatjana

And if you were Kharg or Darc, which one would you pick to be your wife :D ?
I would choose to be Darc, and choose Lillia since she helped Darc a lot during.....

SPOILERS

Nafia's death.
Sage

The Invincible Weeds

803820 Potch
0 Soldiers
2 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I didn't really like either of them, but I would say I liked Darc more. Kharg was just way too whiney and "good." Good is boring. Out of the list of female characters, I would say Bebedora was the most interesting to me, but I would not want her for a wife. I didn't like the others all that much.

Kooluk Companions

543627 Potch
467 Soldiers
4141829 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah i have played the game, did not finish it though, reason being i got near the end and lost my save file!
I have started it again but it has fallen down my To Play List.
Its hard for me to get in some quality RPG playing time!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: