Suikoden Urgent and Irrational Kosher Oblique Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Gamers who need a clue
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:01 am    Post subject: Gamers who need a clue Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I came across this report on Gamespot and CVG.com. This is another reason why I think gamers as a whole get the bad reputation as having slightly skewed sense of reality and wrong priorities. I wonder if Suikoden would feel the same if Konami announced that the rpg franchise would go multiplatform. Will people actually stop buying Suikoden games just because it's not a Sony exclusive anymore?

Capcom responds to fans' rage - Gamespot

Fanboy petition insights Capcom response - CVG.com (it should say incite)

Prince Geass Falenas

2327939 Potch
1337 Soldiers
3028000 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Unfortunately there are gamers like that in that they'd buy a game one if it was exclusive to one system...After all the fans of these series may as well comprise up of console fanboys/girls who think anything outside a certain console isn't worth looking at

Although I can partially see the fear in a series going mutliplatform
For example---taking Suikoden for an example let's say Suikoden 1 was on the PS2 and Suikoden 2 was on the XBox (and let us assume throughout it was never released on the PSone)
I would be majorly pissed off that I'd have to get two consoles just to 'follow the story' you know? And the more consoles it will be released over the more dough I'd have to shell out--even for a console that I think has no other good games on it

Now...if instead they made Suikoden 2 for say both PS2 and Xbox exactly the same, I wouldn't mind (although I may still be peeved in the back of my mind since I'm such an avid fan that I'd want to buy both anyhow despite not having one of the consoles)

The last case would be say for example they released Suikoden 2 for both PS2 and the Xbox but they weren't exactly the same (Soul Caliber 2 is a good example of doing just that)
Perhaps something turns out better in the Xbox version than the PS2 version or vice versa etc.

Anyhow, though it's sort of a skewed sense of things and making a series go multiplatform would be better for a series overall....this fear is probably in the back of alot of our minds

edit: typo...I think

Last edited by Ikano on Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:06 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
eXistence of Fly

Pointy Sticks & Ponies!

1156566 Potch
7700 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Wow, just wow the reasoning behind that petition is beyond what words can describe it is that preposterous, nay, it is the pinnacle of what can be preposterous! To feel cheated, demoralised, slapped around etc by the 'money grubbing corporations' ala Capcom in this instance simply because a game is going multiplatform and has lost its exclusive shine is quite laughable.

'Oh yeah, well screw you Capcom, a game I was going to buy, I obviously care a lot about to voice my outrage, and will most probably buy since this is just a phase to grab for attention, I will now boycott for until it goes platinum. How do you like them apples!'

Somehow, I doubt they thought this through very much.

As for if Suikoden went multiplatform, personally I would only be annoyed if they got special content in the other copy, but that wouldn't make me boycott it... because that's just downright childish.

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think if a version of Suikoden went to the 360 it probably wouldn't have anything new other then downloadable content and even the PS3 would have that if they can ever get their on-line system really friendly to 3rd-party developers. It's just that these fans would probably be the same ones who would rather a franchise title die off and stop being made if it didn't stay on their favorite system.

Rebel of Babylon

1138266 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I agree with Nadistu here.

If Suikoden were to go multi-platform and it resulted in increased sales and visibility for the game, then that's great. But... if it were multi-platform but the version on another console (say Xbox here) had a ton of more features than the other consoles, it would be really annoying.

I don't really mind cases such as Soul Caliber II where each system go a bonus character unique to their franchises since it's not an RPG where the story is a large factor, nor it is like Suikoden with the 108 Stars of Destiny element, but in it's own right each console got something the others didn't yet it didn't affect the game for any console.

What the fans of the Devil May Cry 4 situation needs to realize is that Capcom is a business and they made what they felt was the best business decision, the fact that the "fans" felt obligated to have a say in the matter is laughable. It's not like when Squaresoft dumped Nintendo for Sony, thus leaving Nintendo fans without the chance to play the latest Final Fantasy game, DMC4 will still be on the PS3 so those raising a stink about the game going multi-platform should really get a life.
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

You bring up a good point about exclusive content in the Soul Calibur II games. But getting an exclusive fighter is much easier to do than exclusive content for an rpg. Even the PS3 Oblivion will have all the same things the 360 and PC version gets, albeit at a much later time. So, if Suikoden does go multiplatform I don't think there'll be a danger of one console version being different from another.

Prince Geass Falenas

2327939 Potch
1337 Soldiers
3028000 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I dunno....the different opening for the Dreamcast version of Suikoden 1 was enough to make me a bit annoyed and wish I had it......

not to mention I will forever wonder if anything in the rest of the Dreamcast version of the game was different- no matter how small

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Himuro

La Morte

844834 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Gamers? Yeah right. Those people who got enraged over that aren't gamers, they're console fanboys.
Yvl

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I actually noticed a while back that I didn't own a single multi-platform game for the PS2. It wasn't a concious decision I made, but just something i realized.

Making something multiplatform does make it feel less "personalized," shall we say though. The exclusiveness of a game for whatever reason makes it feel like the game belongs more to you, or something like that.

While I don't share those fans' rage, I am getting quite annoyed at all the companies bailing from being Sony exclusives. The PS3 needs all the help it can get right now. With first Assassin's Creed going multiplatform, and now Devil May Cry, and maybe tomorrow Final Fantasy, it'll really hit future sales of the PS3 hard. People have said that the PS3 was going to be the next Dreamcast and put an end to Sony's venture into the console industry, and that would be terrible for people who have already paid $600 - $800 on the system.

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yvl wrote:
People have said that the PS3 was going to be the next Dreamcast and put an end to Sony's venture into the console industry, and that would be terrible for people who have already paid $600 - $800 on the system.

I don't know about that. Sony still has quite the hold on the overall market share of the console gaming market, but what the PS3 and it's lack of exclusive titles is going to cause in the end is the lessening of that stranglehold and actually having to compete with Microsoft and Nintendo instead of promising the future of gaming when they haven't even delivered on the promises they made about the PS2.

The industry goes through cycles like this and I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo or Microsoft ends up taking the highest cut of the marketshare pie in 4-5 years. But I don't see Sony going the way of Sega. Many people see Sony now as the Playstation company. They've built up the brand-name and it'll take more than an underperforming product for them to abandon the industry altogether.

What Sony is lacking outside of those exclusive titles for the PS3 is actually coming up with something that people will dish out 600-800 dollars for. As of now, people are waiting for the price to drop on the PS3 and that's not something guaranteed as happening until the end of the year or sometimes next year. The Wii on the other hand seems quite affordable for people wanting to see what all the brouhaha about this gaming thing is about. The 360 is in the middle of the road and when compared to the PS3 quite cheap for a HD-nextgen system. It also helps that some of the 3rd-part exclusives the 360 has had for it so far has been well-received by critics and fans alike.

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

If Sony doesn't get some 3rd party exclusives soon, then it will probably go as well as the original X-Box (Which had Halo, Fable, and nothing else noteworthy). Sony as a company is already taking major losses, so they may have to cut back somewhere. Microsoft was able to throw as much money away as they wanted to with their computer monarchy, but Sony won't be able to sustain those kinds of losses right now.

Gaien Magic Men

659144 Potch
850 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

WTF, Are these guys for real? Do these people actually exist? Tullaryx if you own Gamespot and CVG and decided to make this up, nows the time to tell me.

I think its great when games go multi-platform and Ive always said that most if not all games should be multi-platform, except for strictly exclusive titles that are made by the companies. To think people would actually make a petition and protest this game going multi-platform. What would actually happen? Would the company get more money? Yep. Would this increase the budget for future developments of that game and therefore make it better? Yes. Does this actually effect the game itself in any way other than other people can play it? No. Man I thought I was a wierdo but these guys give new definition to the term "Get a hobby!"

And as for the PS3-Dreamcast post, I agree with Tullaryx, to expect the Sony to have the same success with the PS3 as they did with the PS2 is wishful thinking. And although Im surprised they are doing as badly as they are I think the PS3 will eventually become more popular simular to when the X-box first came out.

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

You just hit it right on the head as to why Sony should be afraid of losing it's dominant hold on the console industry. They do not have the financial resources to spend, spend, spend to really promote their system and entice developers to create more PS3-only exclusive titles. Microsoft has made it a goal to use their large amount of reserve capital to really break into the console industry and so far its worked. Sure, they've lost quite a bit of cash with the Xbox, but most industry people see the 360 as making money for each unit sold by year's end or sometime next year.

They also have several Microsoft published titles coming out within the next 6-12 months which should be huge-sellers. If Halo 3 matches the second game in the franchise with it's initial Day One sales then Microsoft should bring in revenues for a one day total sale of 150-200 million dollars.

La Morte

844834 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yvl wrote:
well as the original X-Box (Which had Halo, Fable, and nothing else noteworthy).

My collection says otherwise.

Ps3 right now is shaping up to be more like Gamecube than the Dreamcast. With the Dreamcast, Sega at least tried to innovate, and they did. Dreamcast had around 30 great games released in the span of 2 years. That's pretty damn good.

Gamecube, however, was a cluster fuck of error after error and mistake after mistake, with really long periods of time between game releases. PS3 is a mix between n64 and gamecube. It is the result of arrogance and industry dominance that has made ps3 the cluster fuck it is, but it has the game line up and regurgitated sequels we've played 1 billion times that makes it comparable to the Gamecube.
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Although I think the PS3 will do well (to begin with), I don't think it'll be enough to keep their stake as the market leader in gaming, Microsoft and Nintendo have gained significant ground while Sony had it's back turned - presuming that gamers would wait.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: