Suikoden United and Informational Kibbutz Orgazmic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

dontdatehimgirl.com [do you have a problem with it]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ezekiel

Mediocre Archer

119921 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yvl wrote:
The site is probably useless either way because there is so much BS mixed in there that the true rapists / cheaters / abusers are hard to even find. Face it, women aren't exactly known to be the most rational people immediately following a breakup. It's a noble concept, but it just doesnt work.

True.

I saw the girl who made this site on Tv not too long ago. I can't remember what show it was, but it was maybe a year ago, if that. I personally think it's a good idea, but executed badly. And it's unnevitable. There will be more lies than truth on there. Why? Cause it's the internet, and it's the safest and easiest way to have a grudge. If there was a way to monitor this, and make sure peopel werent lying (which there isn't, and there never will be) THEN I'd approve.

Are there any sites like this for guys. Perhaps www.datbitchiscrazy.com

(Well, turns out it isn't a site, but that was just a random name)

Gaien Magic Men

659144 Potch
850 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I saw the woman for the first time on the Dr. Phil show. And he pretty much tore her apart, mainly becuase she was spouting legalese every ten seconds, clearly her lawyer was spoon feeding her before hand. In fact it was almost humiliating to see her coming out with all these legal phrases, to the point where the audience were plain laughing at her.

Mediocre Archer

119921 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sniper_Zegai wrote:
I saw the woman for the first time on the Dr. Phil show. And he pretty much tore her apart, mainly becuase she was spouting legalese every ten seconds, clearly her lawyer was spoon feeding her before hand. In fact it was almost humiliating to see her coming out with all these legal phrases, to the point where the audience were plain laughing at her.

Ah yes! That's where I saw her, thanks for booting my memory. Yeah, she pretty much got her ass handed to her, and I'd say 98% of the audience is female, so, she got what she deserved.

Gaien Magic Men

659144 Potch
850 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah I found that hilarious as well.

The fact that Dr.Phil has a mostly female audience and she STILL got nailed to the wall. I hope she got her ass handed to her in court.

The Light Fantastic

59113 Potch
0 Soldiers
515589 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, from the media law courses I have taken in college this guy has one hell of a case.

In order for a defamation you need several things:

1. A statement must be made to a third party (so if I insult you to your face its not defamation, no matter what i say, but if I say it to someone else about you it is)

2. The statement must be made as a statement of fact (saying "I think he's a pedophile" doesn't count but saying "he is a pedophile" does)

3. The statement must do harm to the person's reputation in some way.

4. The statement must be untrue.

Truth is a defense against libel and slander (if its true it doesn't matter if its damaging), but in a situation where truth cannot be used (like in this case), it is usually not taken into account. The guy will say "I'm not a pedophile" and she will say "prove you're not." If someone accuses you of something like that the burden of proof is on THEM. If you call me something, I don't have to prove anything. You do.

If the guy is ruled to be a "public figure," however, the rules change. In that case, the accused has to prove that the defamer either knew the statement was false or didn't care whether it was true or not. And that is very hard to prove. Public figures tend not to win defamation cases, the papers just settle.

And the website owner's claim that she is not responsible for the content is bull. Newspaper have been sued successfully for printing information that was later found to be defamatory. Just because someone else said it and you're passing it along doesn't mean anything. According to the law, you don't have to originate the statement, repeating it to someone is the same thing. The only place in the US where you can make a statement and absolutely cannot be sued for defamation is on the floor of the US Congress.

I hope he wins lots of money.

Windriders

544907 Potch
4066 Soldiers
620 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Wataru wrote:

And the website owner's claim that she is not responsible for the content is bull. Newspaper have been sued successfully for printing information that was later found to be defamatory. Just because someone else said it and you're passing it along doesn't mean anything. According to the law, you don't have to originate the statement, repeating it to someone is the same thing. The only place in the US where you can make a statement and absolutely cannot be sued for defamation is on the floor of the US Congress.

The thing wrong with your analysis is that there is precedent that those who run websites are not liable for defamatory material posted by a third party on the Website, which is what distinguishes them from newspapers.

If the internet had the same liability as news media, everyone involved in moderating that web site, including her ISP, could be sued, and the Supreme Court closed that option off. Therefore, it would take a law being passed to overturn that. For the rest, you're spot on, but in this particular case, she has the law on her side.
Wataru

The Light Fantastic

59113 Potch
0 Soldiers
515589 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I didn't know websites were exempt from this. Wow. of course I did take that class in 1998. Back then the Internet wasn't even considered in lawmaking.

Laws never update for technology in time. A few years ago there was a case out here where a landlord broke into a female tenant's apartment while she was out and installed a hidden camera in her bedroom smoke detector. Her boyfriend noticed the camera and they sued, but the law at the time only covered surreptitious audio surveilance since video cameras were not widely available. They could only get the guy on a minor burglary charge and for tampering with a smoke detector. The law was changed right after that, but the damage was done.

SB90's Mechanized Monsters

179201 Potch
0 Soldiers
778121 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yes but creating a website based on slandering people in gerenal, you have to expect a lawsuit would happen.
HarmonianHiccup

Over-Enthusiastic Archaeologists

1333002 Potch
444 Soldiers
440 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think the very fact that a website like this exists is really sad. It's a fault that must be pinned on both genders—if guys wouldn't act like jerks then girls wouldn't be angry. If girls did stretch things totally out of shape then they wouldn't feel the need to injure the person who had "hurt" them in such a permanent way.

Of course, if there really is abuse or pedophillia or other twisted things going on, other girls ned to know tis before they get mixed up with said guy. However, you can do that usually ust by being careful. Don't go out on random dates with people you've never seen before. Date in groups until you're comfortable by yourselves. Call his mom or his pastor or his bishop—just keep yourself safe.

...this is probably why I never go on dates anymore... :roll:

Proud Owner and Operator of The Hiccup's Speciality Grassland Atelier, the only place to find Electric Whiffle Bats!
Amyral

Windriders

544907 Potch
4066 Soldiers
620 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Earthquake923 wrote:
Yes but creating a website based on slandering people in gerenal, you have to expect a lawsuit would happen.

The website is based on trying to warn women about guys who are cheaters or abusers, etc etc. If slander happens, it's on the fault of the people who posted it. Because the Supreme Court has given website owners exemption from being sued for libel or slander, to sue the person who created the site, she would have to have originated the slander.

Legally, it has to be a statement of fact (in that it can be proven), rather than opinion. It has to be made with knowledge of falsity and with reckless disregard for the truth. So unless the creator of the site made a statement that follows all those criteria, she is legally exempt from slander suits.

Now, the people who posted the material are open for slander. The fact that the website allows anonymous posting makes it difficult to prove who did the slandering.
Earthquake923

SB90's Mechanized Monsters

179201 Potch
0 Soldiers
778121 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The point I was trying to make is if you create a website where people can post their opinions/expierences w/ other people slander will happen. The issue is there are 2 sides to each story. If a girl gets drunk and acts like an ass and the guy is turned off (I know it's a big what if) should she say he's not dating material because all she remembers if the fact he wouldn't by a drink. Even thou it's her 12th? I am just making the girl the "bad guy" since the site is made for girls. Guys can be just as messed up.
Sniper_Zegai

Gaien Magic Men

659144 Potch
850 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Earthquake923 wrote:
The point I was trying to make is if you create a website where people can post their opinions/expierences w/ other people slander will happen. The issue is there are 2 sides to each story. If a girl gets drunk and acts like an ass and the guy is turned off (I know it's a big what if) should she say he's not dating material because all she remembers if the fact he wouldn't by a drink. Even thou it's her 12th? I am just making the girl the "bad guy" since the site is made for girls. Guys can be just as messed up.

Thats one of the main things I hate about this site, its the fact that it makes the presumption that the women who post here are right and the men are wrong. Surely they could come up with some sort of system that makes it a little more fair. I dont know. I guess there is nothing you can do about it. Thanks for all the comments everyone. Educational as always.

Ferrouslupusrex

563 Potch
673 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

1. What do you think of this web site and law suit in particular?
The lawsuit can prosper. They may either aim for intrigue against honor as a cause for the suit or libel (depends really on how the justice would interpret libel, this varies from area to area but is usually based on the more general definition of the term).

2. Do you think websites that allow people to post personal information about people anonymously should even exist?
No. It's against the offended person's privacy and may prove dangerous if someone with criminal intent gets a hold of necessary information (like habits, schedules, addresses and whatnot) to concieve a particular crime that would benefit from that information.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: