Suikoden United and Illusional Knowledge Oblique Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Kill it!, Cook it!, Eat it! [Your Views On Animal Treatment]
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Community Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sniper_Zegai

Gaien Magic Men

659144 Potch
850 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:33 pm    Post subject: Kill it!, Cook it!, Eat it! [Your Views On Animal Treatment] Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

There is a program over here on British television by the same name.

On this program veiwers get to see exactly how Cows, Lambs, Pigs and I imagine Chickens are slaughtered. They do this by actually killing them on screeen skinning them, bleeding them, preparing their meat and serving them within minutes of killing the live animal.

The guy behind this is trying to help people make the connnection between meat you get at the market and the live animal on the farm. They also give advice on how to look out for bad meat in the market place.

They invite meateaters, vegitarians and people in between to view the slaughter live.

Anyway after watching this program myself I was amazed to find that I was'nt put off at all and am perfectly happy with the way the lambs and cows were killed. It seemed very humane and the animals did'nt suffer in the slightest, it also showed you where they were raised and reared and I was happy with that as well. Animals are usually stunned before death but in some countries gas in used to stun animals en masse like in big slaughterhouses.

Three questions for you all.....

1. Are you a meat eater, vegitarian or vegan and if so why? Tell us the story of what made you do so?

2. What do you think about animal slaughter in your country?

3. Do you care about how the animals you eat are reared and raised? Do you really care or do you even want to know where your food comes from?

I tribute this thread to Camus The Noble lol, he knows why. :D

OK guys I found some footage that shows the entire slaughter process of a Lamb. Its in 3 parts. This goes without saying but I'll say it anyway.

THESE FOLLOWING LINKS CONTAINS FOOTAGE THAT SOME POEPLE MAY FIND DISTURBING, ALTHOUGH THE NATURE OF THIS FOOTAGE IS NOT VIOLENT, IT IS GRAPHIC NONE THE LESS

The sound is crap but it does explain what exactly happens during the slaughter process.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5m-sXtdSdEA part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDAEyW3k92M part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StrPOjyW__g part 3

EDIT: If you have watched these links say so in your posts please Thank you :D

Last edited by Sniper_Zegai on Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:00 pm; edited 3 times in total
Calvin

Legions of Zontar-Killers

817540 Potch
25 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
1. Are you a meat eater, vegitarian or vegan and if so why? Tell us the story of what made you do so?

I am a meat eater, because I like meat and I see no morale reason or otherwise not to do it. Nothing really "made" me eat meat--I just grew up doing so.

Quote:

I think that they have to be killed somehow. I don't know much in regards to livestock slaughtering practices, so its hard for me to comment on this. I'm sure there are laws in place to prevent extreme and unneccesary cruelty, but as I said, I really don't know.

Quote:
3. Do you care about how the animals you eat are reared and raised? Do you really care or do you even want to know where your food comes from?

Not particularly, no. I don't normally base my buying and eating habits on how the animal was raised or how well it was taken care of. I've heard that animals that are taken care of pretty well generally taste better (such as Kobe beef), but I can't say one way or the other if that's true since I've never had Kobe beef. Additionally, I do find myself not eating certain brands of meat, such as the chicken from KFC--but that is mostly because it is disgusting. I've heard that KFC's treatment of chickens is subpar, but I don't know if there is any correlation between that and the taste of the chicken.

I changed the number on my phone so you can't call me up at home, and you can't say those
things to me, that make me fall down on my knees.

Milan Fiori

Vanguard Elite

715991 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Before I post, I'll let it be known that I went to school to become a Chef. I've killed, bled, skinned, butchered and cooked Cows, pigs, lamps, chickens, goats, deer, rabbit and several other game Animals. So these opinions are coming from someone who has done more than just eaten a piece of meat on their plate.

I'm an omnivore. I like meat. It tastes too, I like the texture. And it's healthy(to a degree) I was born to eat meat. I have canine teeth, what else are they for? With that being said, I don't eat a lot of meat. I prefer fruits myself, mostly because I have a sweet tooth. And most fruits are sweet. So most things I eat tend to lean towards the sweeter, fruity side. Not to mention I have a food intolerance to starch. My body doesn't produce the right enzymes to digest starches properly, so I have to eat protien to make up for the lack of carbs in my diet.

It's not the country, it's the place. Like, I refuse to ever touch a KFC chicken, or anything owned by the parent company that owns KFC. The way the raise, feed and kill their livestock is terrible, but within FDA regulations. I buy most of my meats from a local Farm/butcher, mostly because it's cheaper because I can get larger cuts of meat for wholesale, and butcher them myself, but also because I've seen their farm, and how they kill their animals. It's clean, the animals are raised well without hormones. And the butcher knows what he's doing.

As a chef, I care about this alot. The better the animal is raised, the better the meat. Where it's raised, what it was fed, was it injected with hormones, these are all questions I ask myself when I'm choosing meat to eat.

Last edited by Milan Fiori on Wed Mar 21, 2007 7:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Sage

The Invincible Weeds

803820 Potch
0 Soldiers
2 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

Me eat meat. I grew up eating meat and there's no real reason not to do otherwise as far as I'm concerned.

Quote:

If you mean killing them for food, doesn't bother me one bit. If you actually mean slaughtering as in killing just for the hell of it...well that doesn't bother me either.

Quote:

Not at all. They end up dead and on my plate regardless of whether they were read bedtime stories or beat with a stick. My tastes are pretty bland so I couldn't taste a difference if there was one. I don't care where it comes from, but telling me won't make me stop eating it if it tastes good enough.

Confused Chaquita Banana Minions

464538 Potch
425 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Meat eater... because animals, in general, are pretty tasty... ummm there's no story of what made me this way... I just ate meat.

My sister's in PETA so I hear all about it. We get most of our meat locally, so I don't really care.

I guess it's nice to think that the animals are treated all nice and whatnot; I love animals and whatnot, but I don't think about what lettuce had to go through before I ate it, as bad as that may sound. And as with the other question above: yes, I do know where my food comes from.

"And as the lion slaughters man, I am the wolf and you're the lamb." ~Blind Guardian
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Firefly

Wednesday's Army

20952 Potch
328 Soldiers
225 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

1. Are you a meat eater, vegitarian or vegan and if so why?

I am a meat eater, primarily because some meat is so tasty, but mostly because I hate veggies, so I could never be a vegetarian. Veganism is taking it to an extreme I think.

I honestly try not to think about it. I love animals, and seeing one killed would totally ruin my appetite because I'd feel so bad for them. But I think compared to other countries, we kill our animals more humanely. But we can always make it more humaine.

No, I want/need to remain blind to the fact, otherwise I couldn't eat it. For example, we went to a nice chinese restaurant with the live fish and crabs and stuff in tanks, you know? My table ordered an Alaskian King Crab (it was like $150! It's was a freaking 7 POUND crab, it was huge!) Anyway, they brought it out to our table, alive, to show us before they cooked it. It was moving its antennai and legs and I couldn't bare to eat it after I just saw it 10 minutes before that, live.

So for that reason, I'd almost rather be a vegetarian, but I would hate the food... lentils and beans and veggies, no thanks.

Beshennye Berserki

95809 Potch
200 Soldiers
23 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Kill it!, Cook it!, Eat it! [Your Views On Animal Treatm Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

1. Are you a meat eater, vegetarian or vegan and if so why? Tell us the story of what made you do so?

Meat eater. I've been raised eating meat and I've yet to find a suitable reason to do otherwise. Also, burgers are one of the damn tastiest foods on Earth. My taste buds would be a tad pissed off if they did not receive one every so often.

From what I know it's done in the most humane manner possible, much like it is shown from the program in the thread title.

As long as the animals are raised in such a fashion that the meat produced tastes good, I'm generally not bothered. I guess their short lives shouldn't have to endure to much suffering though. I know where my food comes from, that's why Angus burgers are awesome! :P

Eyepatches of the Faith

397934 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I eat meat, because like a number of other answers, I've just grown up that way. I have to admit, however, that the older I've gotten, I've sort of strayed away from beef and pork and now mostly I eat chicken and fish. Not for any particular reason, except that steak is expensive. We eat hamburger every once in a while, just not too often. A side effect of that is that chicken and fish are healthier for you as well, but it was never really a consideration, only that they were less expensive. [You can't argue with 5 pounds of chicken legs for 4 bucks, I don't care what you tell me.]

For me, it's like sticking my head in the sand. I honestly don't want to know how they were killed. All I want to know is whether it was fed properly or had anything not normal done to it. I do try to stay away from companies that are reported to have done bad things to their animals [I heard the KFC stories, too]. But outside of that, I don't care where it comes from as long as it's hormone free.

I do. Most of the food at the meat market I go to are grown in the southern end of our county and are trucked in fresh all the time. Most butchers have no problem saying where they get their meat, and if you trace it all the way back, a lot of the family owned farms in our area don't have a problem with someone who wants to come by just to inspect them for inhumane or unsafe practices.

I have a young daughter and it's made me a lot more aware about what I feed her and what I feed myself. [Currently she's at her Nana and Paw Paw's and they run a farm with chickens, pigs, cows, and sheep, so at some point, she'll be just as aware of the whole process from a first person standpoint.]

Advance Pawns

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
800 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

1. Definatly a meat eater.. I dunno, but I just prefer meat over vegetables.. Probably because vegetables are hurtin' for tastiness. That and meat is just much more fulfilling and satisfying.

2. In Canada, were into a lot of beef and chicken.. Beef is alright here, cept for sometimes you can get mad cow parasites in your brain.. Well, very slight chance.

3. I know where my food comes from, and it doesn't bug me one bit. But quite frankly, as long as it's raised normally in a pasture, I really don't care. Meat is meat I guess.. Unless it's burnt.
Luceit

Defender of Highland

371188 Potch
2170 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

1. Are you a meat eater, vegetarian or vegan and if so why? Tell us the story of what made you do so?

Meat eater. So, once upon a time humans were mainly vegetarian and then they began hunting animals... Hey, you asked for a story!
Quote:

It's fine. I haven't heard of too many stomach-churning stories yet.

Quote:

Yes I do. If perferable, they shouldn't be kept cooped up and they should live nicely up until the time they're slaughtered.

I read this book before called 'You don't need meat'. That sure scared me.

Largest Falco Tribute Band Ever

186774 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

For question #1: Go ahead and mark me down as a meat eater. I eat meat for the reason a lot of people here seem to: I was brought up doing it, it tastes good, and I haven't been given any convincing reason not to. It isn't as if I must eat meat at every meal (I do know a few good vegetarian recipes; soups, noodles, rice, and even cheese pizza aren't at all bad), but there are plenty of tasty meat dishes. Besides, it isn't as if there aren't animals that eat animals, and it isn't as if plants (and fish, for that matter) aren't living. Come on, we have to eat something.

For question #2: In some cases, it's bad. In other cases, it's not so bad. It certainly could be better, and in a lot of cases it wouldn't be all that hard to cut back on the excess cruelty. In the end, though, I don't really care all that much. Forgive my bluntness, but they end up dead one way or another.

For question #3: Sometimes I care. I'm not exactly a professional chef, but I do like to cook something nice once in a while, and when I do, having the best ingredients is a plus. Usually, the better meat comes from animals that were treated better. So you could call this doing right for the wrong reason, if you were so inclined. I do tend to avoid places that kill animals in the most inhumane ways, but it's not a fanatical avoidance. I tend to avoid KFC, for example, but it isn't as if I never eat there. Again, this just isn't something I care enough about for me to avoid eating there.
Urn

Azure Flames

7756 Potch
0 Soldiers
970973 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Question 1: I am a huge meat eater and have always been that way. If you eat the right meats and keep the appropriate diet, it is the most healthiest source of protein you can find. Meat simply taste good and I have been known to eat meat and nothing else for days at a time. I was raised a meat eater and will remain a meat eater until the day I die..and I hope I die with a chicken bone in my mouth and a half eaten cheeseburger in my lap....or not.

Question 2: Personally, I like animals, but they are what's for dinner. There is no pretty way to kill something for consumption in my opinion. It's a messy job. I've been to butchers, I've watched animals die, and sometimes the methods used are not the cleanest, but it must be done. So, I care based on health reasons, but do I care if Babe or Bambi is slaughtered a certain way to give them a more humane death..I would say no..they are animals! Have you ever seen a lion or tiger eat, that is a crude way to slaughter.

Question 3: To answer this, I will answer with an emphatic yes. I care whether my food has been injected with hormones or potentially harmful chemicals. I prefer to get my meat from a butcher or a whole food store and not a commercial grocery store, but grocery store prices for their meat is cheaper so I buy there. If the chicken or beef was raised bad then that is the price I have to pay for being a frugle shopper. But, I don't particularly care how an animal is killed. I just hope it was quick and it it comes out tender, juicy and delicious.

KOOLUK SUPPORTS TINTO MINERS
Sniper_Zegai

Gaien Magic Men

659144 Potch
850 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

WOW!?!, I really expected alot of vegatarians to comment on this subject but not 1 so far lol. Im adding another thing to the top just for clarity.

Anyway I have'nt commented so here goes...

1. Meat eater born and raised, My whole family loves meat and I have never questioned it. I dont plan on changing although I do love animals.

2. I'm fine with the way animals are slaughtered in my country. I think its humane and painless for the animal and as long as they dont suffer I'm fine with it. I beleive killing animals for meat is a natural order of life, animals do it all the time and animals like cows have to many practical uses in life and death ofr it to be coinceidental. Cows give milk, when they outlive that, you kill them for meat, and use their skin for clothing, Sheeps also add to this useful purpose and I beleive thats the way it should be.

3. Yes I do. Animals should'nt be mistreated on the basis that they are lower life forms and they are going to die anyway. I beleive animals that are treated better also prduce better meat and its this sort of meat that I wanna chow down on. My girlfriend does'nt eat lambs or cows but feels the same I do when it comes to animal treatment. Keep them clean, treat them nice and kill them qiuck and I'll always be an eat meater.

Last edited by Sniper_Zegai on Fri Mar 23, 2007 7:52 am; edited 1 time in total
kuwaizair

blauuurgggh!

174392 Potch
0 Soldiers
1291 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

I am an omnivorus mammal. I eat meat, grains, nuts, seeds, plants and fugus and um cheese. wich is dariy and bacteira as well as yogurt, wich is again, bacteira and dairy.
I eat pre chickens, chickens, and pre trees (nuts can be baby trees folks!)

Quote:

they say they knock the prey on the head before bleeding it. Unless you hunt your own game, maybe the electricute chickens and fish, I don't know. Maybe the stun ungulates as well

Quote:

It can't be helped, in the day and age. so many mouths to feed and 'instant meat'(cut in a package, not special order by the town butcher), fast food meat, you can't pasture raise all the animals and let them live happly till they are 'harvested', small farms are bought by factory farms, family farms are bought to build condos on. Its horrble its possly not as healthy but its hard for a differnt option.

Peta is big on anti meat propaganda, going as far as saying that eating meat hinders a man's sexual performance, and such.

As for the show you mention, that could never be shown in America. When the Suvivor contestents went to Africa to live with the Masai, people had a problem with how they get tap their cows for blood (they mix it with milk and drink it) People demanded they don't show it because of "animal crualty", but eh. its the Masai way of life, its not like they are burning cats for fun like some Americans do.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
gattmee

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 6:51 am    Post subject: Ah! Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

I'm vegetarian (I decided to join these forums solely to inform you all... haha). I decided to become vegetarian many years ago but I didn't end up starting until about two years ago. Whenever I wouldn't eat my steak/chicken/corpse I was always punished so I just submitted. I choose not to eat meat for several reasons, the biggest being simply that I find the thought of eating flesh to be incredibly morbid. Whenever I ate meat, I could never shake the idea that I was eating somebody's baby. Eating it just does not seem necessary to me. Sure, protein deficiency, whatever. It's not as if consuming protein makes up for the other slop that (most) North Americans consume.

Quote:

I think that all slaughter is horrible. I don't know much about slaughter and nor would I like to.

Quote:

Actually, I'm considering becoming vegan. I love cheese and all, but I don't think some cow has to be locked in a barn all its life simply to fulfill my cheese-lusts. If I were a women, I think I would be fairly upset if somebody forced me to lactate into a machine. There are more important things to me than flavour.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: