Suikoden United and Irrational Knowledge Old Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Bands you have seen live
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jjrrs

481481 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I see that you are in SA Tex, and it's always nice to meet other Suikoden fans in Texas. I'm not sure if its your kind of music but I just went and saw Eisley in Dallas last night, they were great, and if I could I would love to go their show tonight in SA too.
Shad

Midnight

4252503 Potch
200 Soldiers
38 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Guess I was a little late for that one. Well I track all the gigs I might go to on last.fm, so if any of these sound enticing or you've got something I should add to the list, just let me know a day or two in advance.

http://www.last.fm/user/Shad4k/events/

I recommend coming down June 29th if at all. Boris will sound amazing at the White Rabbit.
jjrrs

481481 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I might need to get familiarize with their type of music first, I don't have the best taste in music, but I'm trying to listen to some of the better stuff recently. I been very into Eisley as of late, even though they are kind of a girly band, but I like their sound and want to support them for the fact they are kind of from the Dallas area. The next local show I'm really interested in is Death Cab for Cutie on 7/3 I think.
Gil-galad

Flame of the West

2849957 Potch
200 Soldiers
46 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Meh, taste in music is all a matter of opinion-- I think Shad will agree with me there. However, I do believe Deathcab for Cutie is not one he's that big a fan of, he may be interested in seeing a show, though. They're not bad, but as far as that genre, they're far from the best.

Boris is good stuff, jjrrs, though.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jjrrs

481481 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

wow 2 recommendations, I'm seriously consider checking them out then.

Since I already admitted that I don't know much about music, I might as well ask what other better bands are in the same genre as death cab for cutie? cause I like them so I certainly want to know about similar bands that are just as good or better.

Lately I been enjoying songs with great melodies (at least to me) that are much slower than what I used to listen to.
Shad

Midnight

4252503 Potch
200 Soldiers
38 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Code:
Datarock                            20080606
Ladytron                            20080606
Shad

Midnight

4252503 Potch
200 Soldiers
38 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I rather strongly dislike Death Cab and thus don't know their music well enough to make a proper recommendation based on it. As for Boris, they play a cross between stoner, doom, drone, ambient, hardcore punk, noise, psychedelic, shoegaze, sludge, post-rock, and supposedly a little bit of grindcore. In other words, I approve of any effort to figure out what they sound like before seeing them, but good luck with that.
jjrrs

481481 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

What's wrong with death cab? I guess one can consider them to be overrated at this point but I thought their music is good.

I don't spend too much time looking into or listening to new music I haven't heard of, and I'd always get entire cd/album rather than single tracks, so I'd end up liking a band if there are a few more songs on their album that are just as good or better than their popular single, I thought death cab was pretty consistent when it comes to that as their past few cds all have about a handful of good tracks each.

Of course there are times when entire cds just sound awesome to me, like I thought with Eisley (plus they are from north texas so I support them for that too) but I'd only run into those about once or twice a year due to my lack of effort to try out new music.
Gil-galad

Flame of the West

2849957 Potch
200 Soldiers
46 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Death Cab is popular enough, and their music isn't bad-- but when it comes to that genre it's just that The Shins and The Decemberists so far outclass them, in my opinion, that it's hard for me to listen to Death Cab. I wouldn't say they're overrated, they're just not as good musically as the other two band I mentioned. Definitely download The Shins' Wincing the Night Away, and Chutes Too Narrow-- which are two of the best indie CDs around. Also The Decemberists' The Crane Wife is flat out one of the best CDs of the decade, and Her Majesty The Decemberists is very, very good.

If you enjoy Death Cab for Cutie, I assure you that you will enjoy any CDs by the two bands I mentioned, and the CDs I dropped are absolutely must-haves. :)

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jjrrs

481481 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

cool, thanks for letting me know, I am definally going to check out the shins again more thoroughly, I heard a lot of good things about them before but I didn't really care for the songs I heard them play on live tv shows.
Shad

Midnight

4252503 Potch
200 Soldiers
38 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Every time I try to listen to Death Cab I forget it's playing for about ten minutes and then notice something around me crying about how its girlfriend left it and it can't get any love and life is so sad.

My beef with them is all in the lyrics. I can't stomach emo - I couldn't get beyond the words long enough to appreciate the music.

If you're just looking to get into indie in general, then like Gil said The Shins, The Decemberists, and The Arcade Fire are a good place to start.
Gil-galad

Flame of the West

2849957 Potch
200 Soldiers
46 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The Arcade Fire is my absolute favorite indie band. I wouldn't say they're as similar to Death Cab in terms of musical style as The Shins and The Decemberists are, but Arcade Fire is fucking fabulous. Funeral is probably one of the greatest rock albums ever put together. It's that good. :)

jjrrs

481481 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

Every time I try to listen to Death Cab I forget it's playing for about ten minutes and then notice something around me crying about how its girlfriend left it and it can't get any love and life is so sad.

Yeah, you are right about that, on their newest cd (which I thought was pretty good) 6 of the 11 tracks are about lost/broken love while the rest have some sort of reference to death in one way or another...

I checked out those cds previously mentioned, I kind of liked the Shins but so far I can only find one song I would like to listen to repeatedly: Phantom Limp, which I heard them play on SNL and maybe letterman before. The Decemberists sounds good but I also can't seem to find any song I would want to listen to by themselves, I thought When the War Came sounds pretty good but that may only be because it's like of a change of pace from the rest of the tracks.

I had the same problem with the Polyphonic Spree a while back, all the albums sounded pretty good but there are just very few single songs that stood out, even after I listened to them many times. But so far I only heard these cds once or twice, so I am expecting to find more to like after more listens which is the case most of the time for me. I want to check out the Arcade Fire too, but that one dark haired chick in the band freaks me out, every time I seen them she's all rowdy and stuff while looking like a freaking witch... guess I'll just have to try and not think about that when I listen to them.
Gil-galad

Flame of the West

2849957 Potch
200 Soldiers
46 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hmm, I suppose it just depends what you're looking for in an album. I almost never just listen to an individual song on any of the albums I mentioned, except for maybe a couple of the Shins' songs. I like finding albums that are complete as a whole-- but different people look for different things.

They all look a bit creepy-- especially Win and Regine-- but hey, the music is good. XD

Shad

Midnight

4252503 Potch
200 Soldiers
38 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think if you go into any album searching for singles the first time you hear them you're bound to be disappointed. Give the album as a whole some time to grow on you, and you may find that a lot of tracks are very independently listenable.

The Shins are notorious for taking a while to grow on you. I remember initially thinking Wincing the Night Away was completely uninspired and Oh Inverted World generally boring, and now I like them both more than Chutes Too Narrow. Songs like Sleeping Lessons don't become catchy until you've heard them a dozen times, but when they do they're delicious.

As for The Decemberists, they grabbed me from the very start so I don't know what to tell you, but try listening to the lyrics. The same with The Shins really, their lyrics are delightfully clever. Since you have The Crane Wife apparently, check out Yankee Bayonet. I think it's the catchiest song on the album.

I'm with Gil in that I generally listen to albums as a whole, but a lot of it depends on the style I'm hearing. When it comes to indie I'm more apt to look for individual songs. Don't lose hope in The Decemberists too soon, I think they have more repeatable tracks out there than almost any other band.

Oh jeez, I've been sampling these as I talk about them and feel a massive mood switch from my month of folk metal back into Gil-dom.

Man, those crazy looking Arcade Fires. Why can't they pose normal, like the bands I listen to?

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Media All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8

Jump to: