Suikoden Uncanny and Irrational Knowledge Oblique Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

All True Runes might have the power to summon (only a speculation)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
blueflame

Blue Rookies

294148 Potch
4022 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:07 am    Post subject: All True Runes might have the power to summon (only a specul Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

In the past Suikoden 4 (I can't remember if all the other suikodens are the same), the rage rune's level 4 was final flame. The final flame summons a dragon that circles around the enemy and does some damage. It made me wonder if the fire rune can summon then the true fire rune can probably summon.

This can only be seen in Suikoden 3 for the True Water Rune, the true water rune's form was a dragon and it summoned crystals i think. I forgot, my memory sucks. Even if the true water rune doesn't give its user the power to summon, the true rune itself can summon.

The True Beast Rune can summon wolves as you can see. The True Gate rune is a given so there and many more.

This means that theres a possibility that all these true runes control a certain kind of species of creatures or monsters or whatever you call it. The True Gate Rune just controls them all. Take note, again this is only a speculation so please no one tell me that you really can't say that or stuff :) Thank you!
Luceit

Defender of Highland

371188 Potch
2170 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think all True Runes grant their bearers the ablility to summon, but that's only speculation, since some of the True Rune bearers probably lack the ability to do so even if it was possible.

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think it depends on the mastery of the rune, and also we could be missing the idea that the summoning is only for gameplay purposes, a big monster as the final boss has a bigger impact then say a human, all the humans fought in the series so far have been very weak (expect Luca Blight).
Luceit

Defender of Highland

371188 Potch
2170 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Nah, we saw Luc summon monsters before outside of battle. I assume he was using the True Wind Rune for that purpose.
It does bring up an interesting question though: If all True Runes could be used to summon monsters, why is it so? Is it because they have connections to other worlds, like the Dragon Rune?

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I don't think we can assume the True Wind Rune had anything to do with the monsters he summoned, in fact in Suikoden III he uses the technique and explains that it is a method that Leknaat taught him through the Blue Gate Rune.
Luceit

Defender of Highland

371188 Potch
2170 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ah, my mistake then.
Well, obvious examples of summoning monsters are the Blue Gate/Pale Gate/ Gate Runes but I think that's obvious to everyone. Perhaps the Elemental True Runes can be used to summon elementals, which really isn't much of a stretch considering that they're supposed to represent the ultimate power for the five elements.

Lilly's Loyal Guards

701224 Potch
200 Soldiers
32 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
This can only be seen in Suikoden 3 for the True Water Rune, the true water rune's form was a dragon and it summoned crystals i think.

The dragon is an incarnation of the True Water Rune, I believe. Just like the two-headed wolf is an incarnation of the Beast Rune, and the fire bird inside the flame champ's hideout is an incarnation of the True Fire Rune.

Now, an incarnation would be the rune itself (or one of its forms), and not a summoned being from other worlds (which is the case with the Gate Rune).

Blue Rookies

294148 Potch
4022 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The dragon summoned water crystals as well I think :). The beast rune summoned golden wolves if you remembered. I didn't mean the fire bird. I meant the dragon in the final flame :)
Urn

Azure Flames

7756 Potch
0 Soldiers
970973 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

This really depends on what you consider summoning. The Beast Rune creates various incarnations of itself as the wolves we see in Suikoden 2, the Water Dragon is simply an incarnation of the True Water Rune, and the Fire Dragon in Suikoden 3 was simply an incarnation of the True Fire Rune. Creating incarnations of one's self is not summoning in my opinion.

Summoning involves calling a being or something from another realm that already exist. Yuber is summoned, the Bone Dragon was summoned, and the various monsters we see in the game are summoned. The ability to summon such things is clearly amplified by the fact that an individual bears a True Rune, but the ability to summon a thing is more than likely related to the level of magical prowess of the individual. This is evident based on the fact that Sera from Suikoden 3 can summon without being a True Rune bearer.

KOOLUK SUPPORTS TINTO MINERS
Yvl

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It's a bit hard to explain, but I think that those incarnations are the "will" behind each of those runes that we saw demonstrated in Suikoden V so well. I'm tired and not entirely able to think straight at the moment, but my theory also includes all those different planes of existence such as the World of Wings and Scales, if anyone else wants to try to take a stab at what I'm trying to say.

Defender of Highland

371188 Potch
2170 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Obvious summons:

Gate Rune subrunes (Example: Luc from Suikoden III)
Gate Rune (Windy)
Eight Fold Rune? I don't remember if Yuber actually summoned monsters, but considering that he hangs around them...

So far, there's been some debate over what is a summon and what is not a summon. To be a summon, this following qualifications should be made:

a) From another dimension/place.
b) Not an incarnation (For example, the True Wind Rincar doesn't count, having originated from the True Wind Rune itself).
c) Not mere representations of elements (A phoenix would count as a summon, but not a ball of flame that looks like a phoenix).

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think based on what we've seen, not all True Runes can grant their bearers the power to summon.
Luceit

Defender of Highland

371188 Potch
2170 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah, I can agree with that. What would the Sun Rune summon anyway?
Besides, even if they could, only about 1/3rd of them probably have the training to do it. I guess if the True Rune bearer had the skill to use Gate Magic, they could use their True Rune as a means to summon monsters by chanelling energy.

Azure Flames

7756 Potch
0 Soldiers
970973 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, there is also a problem with the assumption that the Gate Rune summoning. The Gate Rune simply opens a gate to the other worlds, but it could be easily speculated that the Gate Rune does not call the beings within these other worlds. It could be speculated that the bearer simply has knowledge of other form of magic that she used once the Gate Rune opened the passage to this other world. In that case, the bearer used magic independent of the Gate Rune to execute summoning and the Gate Rune simply aided in facilitating such efforts.

Along with that speculation, one can also argue that if it was not for the Gate Rune the magic of summoning could not exist at all. This is based on the fact that the Gate Rune links worlds and opens passages that would not have existed.

Summoning is defined as To order to take a specified action, bid, to call forth and to evoke. You would have to have access and know the appropriate language of the particular thing you wished to summon in order to properly summon it. The Gate Rune could easily be seen as the foundation for such access and appropriate language. If that is the case, then, not all True Runes, but one True Rune, the Gate Rune, is indirectly and directly responsible for all summoning.

KOOLUK SUPPORTS TINTO MINERS
Luceit

Defender of Highland

371188 Potch
2170 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Perhaps proficiency in Gate type magic grants the person the ability to summon monsters, but it remains to be seen whether it's summoning or a mere opening of the gates.
In other words, are the monsters drawn here or are they coming of their own will?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: