Suikoden United and Irrational Kraalesque Orgazmic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Suikoden III in top 25
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cohkka

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:25 pm    Post subject: Suikoden III in top 25 Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

http://ps2.ign.com/articles/772/772296p1.html

IGN's doing a "best games of ps2" list, and suikoden III is 24! I'd say that's pretty bragable for a series like this. Let's hope suikoden V gets one of the other numbers.
Angelus

Queen of Falena

579729 Potch
0 Soldiers
2545847 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

That's cool. I'm surprised Kingdom Hearts is 22. I thought it'd be in the one digit's, like Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest will most likely be.

I'm sad Persona 3 won't make the list, it has a chance to be high up there on the list.

Jorge Prima wrote:
What? Our pokemon aren't obeying?

When a problem comes along YOU MUST WHIP IT!
Gil-galad

Flame of the West

2849957 Potch
200 Soldiers
46 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm actually going to say that that ranking seems a bit low. I'm not sure, but I thought that IGN nearly gave game of the year to Suikoden III over Final Fantasy X, and I know that several publications did give Suikoden III PS2 game of the year over Final Fantasy X. Now, with that out of the way, I'm willing to be that Final Fantasy X will be in the top 5, if not #1. Bah.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ikano

Prince Geass Falenas

2327939 Potch
1337 Soldiers
3028000 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

That's...surprising...that Suiko 3 got up there =o

And if this in fact is the same ign that noted Suikoden 5 as having the best storyline in 2005...I'd say there's a good chance =o ...hopefully....

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Tonberry

The Tonberry Eggsperience

1819401 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Suikoden III belongs on the list. I'm very impressed and happy at hearing this news.
Elzamine

Verse of Vitality

1798792 Potch
500 Soldiers
1 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

would be nice to see another suikoden game on the list, higher the better of course! ^^

-My DeviantArt-
Yvl

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

WHAT DO YOU MEAN SUIKODEN IV IS #8?!

If FFXII even gets on that damn list, it will undo all the good that Suikoden has done it.

481481 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Obviously IV and tactics don't have a chance but I highly doubt suikoden V will make the list, odds are III only made the list because of the extremely high review they gave for it (surprise, the guy that wrote it is one of the people that's making this list).

It's a pretty dumb list though, the picks of Rez & amplitude are just those editors trying to say: check out how much we know about games that you never played. Not that those aren't good games but in terms of the overall impact of a "top game", those don't even hold up against most of the good sequels of established franchises, they may be "great games" to play but how exactly are they "top games" of a consol when nobody played them or knew about them?
Yvl

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

I highly doubt suikoden V will make the list

I'd be willing to bet otherwise. This game too nearly beat a FF in the best of the year list, even if the FF it beat was a horrible excuse compared to the rest.

Though it's a little unnerving that they're up to 15 now and there is still no sign of it. I wouldnt expect a Suikoden to do that well, so perhaps you're right.

481481 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It seems to me like their reviewer of suikoden games are just like all of us: he/we loved the first 2 games and thought III was great and really liked it (unlike me, I thought III was only okay) then after taking 2+ years for IV to come out, despite the fact it's not that good he/us the true fans didn't have a big problem with it at the time, his review of IV was pretty high and he might have regretted that.

So somewhere between the slew of square enix, atlus & NIS rpgs that came out in 2005, suikoden just seemed kind of lost it after tactics didn't really impress anyone either. By the time V came around, the love that was there a few years back started to rebuild but the newly found standards for good rpgs since the last truly great suikoden game restricted V from being among the elites when it didn't have enough impressive aspects under the higher current standards.

In terms of this list, it's not a great one since the "top 25 games" list for PS2 would have been Madden 2001-7, NCAA football 2002-7, FFX & XII, GT3 & 4, God of war & 2, GTA3+VC+SA, Tony Hawk games, Jak & Ratchet games, MGS games, Capcom action series and others... but it's nice that a suikoden game got a mention. (FFXII will be on that list and damn high too, maybe even above FFX, but than again I don't have that much of a problem with XII) for someone like me that thought III was only better than IV & tactics but doesn't come close to II & V, it would have been much better to see V on that list instead of III, but if he's one of those guys that just really loved III that's fine since he at least made sure to include suikoden in some way.
retrospect.

Cosby You! Black Entertainer

102725 Potch
420 Soldiers
30 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yvl wrote:
Quote:

I highly doubt suikoden V will make the list

I'd be willing to bet otherwise. This game too nearly beat a FF in the best of the year list, even if the FF it beat was a horrible excuse compared to the rest.

not to derail but what's your beef with 12? it's the only decent final fantasy game to come out since 1999.

Seekers of Hawke's Hot Stuff

1008758 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

That's an opinion, and in this case, you might be in the minority. A lot of people didn't like FF12. This is nothing new, as there are always "haters" everytime an FF is released, but I don't think I've ever encountered so many people, on-line and off-line, that were severely disappointed by an FF.

I seriously doubt Suikoden 5 will be on the list. It wasn't as well recieved as Suikoden 3 was.

^Actual quote!
Yvl

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

not to derail but what's your beef with 12? it's the only decent final fantasy game to come out since 1999.

The story was terrible in terms of content, realism, and pacing. The battle system I loved, but for an RPG, a good story is a must, and FFXII failed horribly.

Seraphim Of Kooluk

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I hate IGN they give every game except shooters and other games with guns 1/10, I personally think that IGN is biast against other types of games all the games I like get crap ratings on IGN while every other gaming website gives the game a 9/10.
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Anytime A suikoden game makes a best of list it's always surprising given how nearly obscure it the franchise is in comparison to others on that list.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: