Suikoden Uncanny and Irrational Kraalesque Old Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Gen. Pace Calls homosexuality immoral
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Community Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rune hunter

236548 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:06 am    Post subject: Gen. Pace Calls homosexuality immoral Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17590518/

Hmm, This seems to be quite an interesting statement. Considering the US military is streched thin I can't imagine why they would turn down or outright ban possible recruits. Personally this seems like descrimination on the most disgusting level. I mean expelling someone who is serving one's country just becouse of his/her sexual orientation. And adding insult to injury by calling them immoral...
Sniper_Zegai

Gaien Magic Men

659144 Potch
850 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Dont Americans consider homosexuals Immoral according to religous beleifs. And is'nt it part of the constitution that makes up the basis of American law that "Church and State remain seperate" this is clearly a violation of that law and I'd be amazed if the plaintiff in question did'nt sue them back to the stoneage for this. I mean with that hospital story that just got out you think the military would tread lightly.

Private Godwin Army

560494 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, I am rather used that a General gets verbally beaten when he speaks about "immoral" things...
However, at first I thought it was just an opinion I don't really care about, but I don't like how being gay seems for him the same as cheating your partner and screw someone else's wife. Well, I don't know about those said percentages, but I personally think it would hurt more to make all lesbians and gay men leave the army than just stay how it goes or even let everybody tell outright about their sexual orientation. Since I have never served I might not know enough about a soldier's feelings...

The Fool
Sailor Sexy

Mikan weeps for Brady

246380 Potch
175 Soldiers
50 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

So he thinks it's immoral, what's the big deal? Any other mountains you want to make out of molehills? Look, morals aren't set in stone, they're very much a personal belief. I don't feel it is immoral, I frankly don't care. I think both sides of the aisle shouldn't be flaunting their sexuality either way. Gay, straight, I don't much care unless you bring it up to me. I take "don't ask, don't tell" and extend it to all. Some people are just gonna get worked up over a lot of nothing I guess.

~Uguu!~
Angelus

Queen of Falena

579729 Potch
0 Soldiers
2545847 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah, cause you know, you might catch our germs and die. rawr.

This guy looks and sounds too uptight and high maintenance. He's probably some Bible lover. I'm sure you know, homosexuals have always gotten the short end of the stick; this is an example. But immoral? Isn't judgment immoral too or something? I'm sure he doesn't even know any of the homosexual recruits. It's not like the heterosexual are perfect angels.

Looks like everyone will have to keep their sexual orientation a secret, it might get them kicked out of the army. What a joke.

Jorge Prima wrote:
What? Our pokemon aren't obeying?

When a problem comes along YOU MUST WHIP IT!
Urn

Azure Flames

7756 Potch
0 Soldiers
970973 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

As far as the question as to whether Americans consider homosexuality immoral due to religion, I would emphatically say that not all Americans are so narrow-minded and hypocritical.

But, I would just simply say that this is not the first time an amry general has made such statements and probably won't be the last. It is unfortunate, but the level of homophobia in the American armed forces is probably higher than anywhere else in the world. It is sad that people cannot just simply accept people for who they are, but everyone has their own individual prejudice. It doesn't make it right, it doesn't make him less of an a$$, but it does make him human.

KOOLUK SUPPORTS TINTO MINERS
Amyral

Windriders

544907 Potch
4066 Soldiers
620 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Wow, someone has an opinion that other people don't like? Alert the media! Wait, I guess they already did that.

Sniper_Zegai wrote:
And is'nt it part of the constitution that makes up the basis of American law that "Church and State remain seperate"

No, actually, I believe separation of church and State isn't part of the constitution, it is a Supreme Court ruling. What is said that the state cannot establish a state religion. American law is based on quite a few sources, many of them religion related.

Sniper_Zegai wrote:
this is clearly a violation of that law and I'd be amazed if the plaintiff in question did'nt sue them back to the stoneage for this.

For what? Having an opinion? Just because someone who works in the government states he thinks its immoral doesn't mean it's establishment. It's an opinion, and you can't win a lawsuit for a straight opinion.
Rune hunter

236548 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
But, I would just simply say that this is not the first time an amry general has made such statements and probably won't be the last. It is unfortunate, but the level of homophobia in the American armed forces is probably higher than anywhere else in the world. It is sad that people cannot just simply accept people for who they are, but everyone has their own individual prejudice. It doesn't make it right, it doesn't make him less of an a$$, but it does make him human.

True, he is not the first nor will he be the last but the greater problem is in the fact that america is fighting two wars. One in Afghanistan and another in Iraq. And considering that the US is planning on increasing the number of troops to deploy in those areas I don't think now would be a good time to be too choosy about who your gonna recruit. Nor is it the time to dismiss willing and able soldier just becouse they have "come out of the closet".

And acording to another article I read in yahoo.com it seems american soldiers are more willing to accept gays and lesbians now in the military.

Quote:
For what? Having an opinion? Just because someone who works in the government states he thinks its immoral doesn't mean it's establishment. It's an opinion, and you can't win a lawsuit for a straight opinion.

Actual he along with the rest of the american army brass should be sued for discrimination.
Urn

Azure Flames

7756 Potch
0 Soldiers
970973 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Separation of Church and State is actually apart of the fabric of our Constitution supported through various amendments regulated through Supreme Court rulings and perpetuated through state and local laws which is also stated in state amendments which is once again regulated through state Constitutions. The fact that the state cannot establish a religion is established through the by-laws in its Constitution. The Supreme Court only does appeals on law which has already been established, it doesn't create law, just determines the Contitutionality of the law.

And yes, most of American laws are based on religion, Protestant and Catholic mostly. As for whether this particular statement mingles Church and State, well it simply doesn't. Not that I agree with the statement, but it is well within his rights to make.

But, Amyral, is absolutely correct. there is no grounds for the Plaintiff's to suit. You cannot sue someone for havinf a difference of opinion or for expressing their own beliefs.

KOOLUK SUPPORTS TINTO MINERS
Amyral

Windriders

544907 Potch
4066 Soldiers
620 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
Actual he along with the rest of the american army brass should be sued for discrimination.

Unless he is the one actually refusing people the chance to recruit or kicking them out (and odds are, he isn't), then there's nothing he can be sued for. You can't sue all of the army brass, because all of them aren't legitimate parties in the case. Unless they've actually taken direct action, and this story doesn't state that he did, there's nothing to sue him over.

Urn wrote:
Separation of Church and State is actually apart of the fabric of our Constitution supported through various amendments regulated through Supreme Court rulings and perpetuated through state and local laws which is also stated in state amendments which is once again regulated through state Constitutions.

But "Separation of Church and State" isn't directly stated in the constitution, is it? Supreme Court decisions have made it part of the practical doctrine, but Supreme Court decisions are definitely not set in stone.
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I don't care for his beliefs for or against. As a military man he'll have his preconceptions built up through decades of rigid indoctrination not just from traditional military thought but through his own personal religious and moral upbringing. Even after saying what he did he still has can't do much about banning gays from the military as long as they follow the rule set-up by the Clinton Administration: "Don't Ask, Don't Tell".

Do I think there are no gays in the military? I'd be a duck if I said yes. There's probably a higher percentage of gays in the military than has been reported. The Clinton "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" policy gives both sides an out.

Gaien Magic Men

659144 Potch
850 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Im not saying having an opinion is wrong. But as a General saying that being a homosexual is wrong will add to the descrimination that Gay troops face.

When an opinion is stated like this people will start asking questions and as 65,000 gay and lesbian troops are currently serving its clear that the livelyhood of these people is either at risk or making their jobs harder than they already are.

And as a man of considerable power he has command of thousand of men and woman within the armed forces and part of being a leader is the ability to make informed, rational and objective decisions based on the situation at hand. I know this is a news room and not a battlefield but if this is the mentality of the leaders of the military who are in the public eye then who knows how these opinions affect his judgement.

Are we gonna start seeying alot more gay troops on the frontlines. I dont think so. But to say I dont agree with homosexuality in our country is one thing but to openly say that if you are gay you ar some sort of second class citizen is a whole new ball game and thats what I have a problem with.

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

How do you know there are no troops stationed in front-line combat assignments who are not gay but haven't been outed since they haven't been asked so they don't tell. Also, where did the 65,000 gay and lesbian troops numbers come from. I rather think the number could be double that but we will never know since the military doesn't track such details.

Gay and lesbian troops are probaby dying or have died in Iraq and Afghanistan but again we shall never know since the Don't Ask, Don't Tell policy makes sure that gay and lesbians are not out there openly.

The military has always been either slow to integrate certain groups of people or one of the first to do so. They were one of the first institutions to completely integrate African-Americans into the military while the rest of the country were still quite segregated. Like most professional sports, the military is still a male-dominated and male-oriented institution that still holds onto what they think is the male tradition. Does this make it right just because it's how the military has been doing things for hundreds of years? No, but forcing the military to up-end centuries of indoctrination would lead for more violence and troubles than trying to gradually implement a change in policy.

It took the military from 1863 til 1948 to finally allow black officers but it happened. I see the same happening to the question of openly gay and lesbian troops in the military. I don't think it will take that long, but with the young officers of this upcoming generation much more open to progressive thinking to be leading the military hierarchy in 20-30 years I see the question going away and the military being fully integrated.

Windriders

544907 Potch
4066 Soldiers
620 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sniper_Zegai wrote:

Are we gonna start seeying alot more gay troops on the frontlines. I dont think so. But to say I dont agree with homosexuality in our country is one thing but to openly say that if you are gay you ar some sort of second class citizen is a whole new ball game and thats what I have a problem with.

You can have a problem with it, but it's not anything you can sue over. The first amendment doesn't state "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech unless it's offensive." You can't sue based on someone saying something you don't like as long as it's an opinion. It's not discrimination and we don't want people to be able to sue just because you find something offensive. Unless he goes off and actually does something, there's nothing that he can be sued over.

Furthermore, we don't want that precedent to be available. If we allow others to win discrimination suits just because they feel offended by something someone says, it completely destroys the freedoms we are supposed to have from the first amendment.
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I agree with Amyral on this. What would stop someone from suing someone who thought and spoke like you Sniper. All of us say and do things that offend others. But as long as it's protected by free speech and doesn't cause harm or lead to causing others harm then no matter how much we hate what we hear there's not much we can do about it. That's the price of freedom. You can't allow one type of speech and way of thought and ban and ostracize others that's contrary to your own.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: