Suikoden Utopian and Irenic Kriegspiel Original Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Natives refuse to move.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Luceit

Defender of Highland

371188 Potch
2170 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:11 am    Post subject: Natives refuse to move. Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
Orang asli refuse to move

By AUDREY EDWARDS

PETALING JAYA: The Che Wong orang asli community, which is facing relocation because of the Kelau Dam project in Pahang, has decided that they will not move from their current location.

Manau, a 25-year-old member of the group, said they would abide by the decision of their elders.

“We have to follow what the elders want and they do not want to move. They don’t want to move somewhere which is not their kampung,” he said recently.

Manau is among the 500-plus orang asli affected by the construction of the Kelau dam which is expected to inundate 4,090ha of land including 1,000ha of the Lakum forest reserve, Felda reserves and orang asli ancestral land.

Dr Colin Nicholas, Centre for Orang Asli Concerns co-ordinator, said the village where the Che Wong community lived was one of two villages to be resettled by the project even if it was not going to be inundated by it.

The other was where the Temuan community lived. A total of 85 families will be displaced by the project.

He said the orang asli had not given their “free and informed consent” for the relocation, pointing out that the orang asli could easily be relocated a shorter distance away instead of about 40km away from their ancestral land.

Dr Nicholas said among the proposed compensation was six acres of land to each family, which would have oil palm seedlings planted for them, RM400 per month for four years until the trees matured, a house and orchard, which would take up a quarter acre.

“The money will not be enough,” he said.

Felda public relations officer Wan Zaleha Wan Embong said a total of 453 settlers from Felda Klau Valley would be affected by the project.

He said compensation had yet to be determined by the Government, adding:

“There are a lot of things that need to be done and discussions are ongoing.

“We are sympathetic to their problems. But the project is for the good of the nation.”

The Felda Klau Valley project involves 1,923.29ha and has been in existence since 1964.

This has been happening a lot. A few years back, there was a new dam made at Selangor, causing some natives to lose their homes.
The question is, do you believe that natives should have a right to their own ancestral homes, or do you think that they should move for the sake of the country?
Personally, I don't know what to say. Part of me feels sorry for the natives who lose their homes, but part of me also recognizes that the rest of us will suffer if we let them stay. Besides, it's not like the government doesn't give them anything; they get new homes for example. Still, is it worth it for them? I'd think not.

Disciples of Death

331436 Potch
0 Soldiers
2442517 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Since this thread has no link to the source or the nature of this issue I can't really comment. Could you give us some insight as to the nature of the dam project and exactly HOW it's for the good of the nation?

Chief of Beat-em-up Honeys Division, Devoted Protector of Lady Tifa Lockhart
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Phamex

Raccoon Dogs

135274 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm with Scarlet on this one, I need more information, but it'd still be tricky to judge. You always have to be careful of that phrase, "For the good of ____." If the government came up to me and asked me to move away from everything I've ever known for the good of the country, well, I'd probably be of the opinion that the country could bugger itself. Sacrificing for the greater good is fine and dandy when you come to that decision on your own, it's something else entirely when people take what they want from you and use the greater good as justification.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Luceit

Defender of Highland

371188 Potch
2170 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The source is here: www.thestar.com.my. You can check for it underneath the Nation section.

Insofar as I've heard, this dam project probably has to do with the water shortage problem. This is actually the first time I'm hearing about this dam project, so I hope more people can share their insights in the newspaper tomorrow.

Okay, I found a possible source that explains the reason for the project: Type in 'Kelau Dam' in Google and click on the first one. Apparently, my college blocks it out, though it's a government website. :?

Another one you can check: http://www.coac.org.my/codenavia/portals/coacv2/code/main/main_art.php? parentID=0&artID=11706591776329

Solid State Society

206885 Potch
254 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

This is the long problem in human rights law. Whether the government have more rights to build the nations or the indigenous people have more rights to reserve their old life.

There is a draft convention concerning the indigenous people namely "United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples"; but since it's only a draft article it's not yet come into force. Yet, if anyone wanted to refer to this matter they use ILO's "Convention concerning Indigenous and Tribal Peoples in Independent Countries" or the "International Covenant on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights".

For indigenous people, move from their old home is not a simple thing to do like ours do. This is because they often have 'special' way of life that cannot be simple observed by us. They often have high dependency to their land and it's often became a big social matter after the relocation.

On the other hand, the government needs their land for the development of the country. It's argued that the government can deprived the indigenous rights at the ground of social-economic of the country.

To me, the alternative is either the government build the dam at the another area if it is possible. If they do not have alternative place to build the dam, the government should give the indigenous people enough information and fair compensation to them; so the problem can be minimal.

Ah yeah, the link please.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Luceit

Defender of Highland

371188 Potch
2170 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The links are listed above and you should try Googling 'Kelau Dam'. It looks like even Japan is investigating if it's viable.
From what I've read so far, people are concerned that the move will destroy the environment and it is uneccessary.

Another link: http://www.biznewsdb.com/english/newspage/newspage.asp?ID=7030923&file1 =7&bulan=03&kw=wwqq
Thing is, if it's really like Najib claims, the orang asli are out of luck. A similiar situation happened with the Selangor Dam, and the people were driven out anyway. I'll go research that one as well.

blauuurgggh!

174392 Potch
0 Soldiers
1291 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

That is a hard thing to think about. this was that dam that would flood a vally for hydroelectric power right? while its good to find alterntive sources of power for 'all', is it worth the cost of runing some people's lives?
or is this a differnt dam in question?
as for environmental impace
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/12/13/tech/main2253676.shtml
small ones in America have disrupted salmon and trout migrations to the point some have built a way for the fish to continue to swim upstream.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Rune hunter

236548 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hmm, this is a tough issue to judge. On the one hand people have the right to there private property. Especially if they have been living on the said property for who knows how many generation. On the other hand the government has the power of emminent domain. If the government were to take your property without consent it might technically be legal(still it would be immoral).

The best possible solution would be to relocate them as close as possible to there ancestral land and give them fair and just compensation.
Luceit

Defender of Highland

371188 Potch
2170 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Now, here's the dilemma. The Government claims that they already studied it and they say it won't cause a major impact; the group that supports the natives says that it will cause major ecological damage. Another thing they mentioned was that digging a tunnel could help mitigate the environmental problems and that the orang asli could be replaced.
One big concern is that the orang asli have not given their consent. The rights of the orang asli are listed underneath the Constitution and as such, it's possible that it's illegal for the Government to chase them out.

Nikostratos

629196 Potch
5000 Soldiers
465 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

There is also the case if they don't get the homes that the government has promised them. I have seen it happen before however it is not in that country in particuler but in China.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: