Suikoden Ugly and Irrational Kibbutz Old Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

The origin of Shu
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Where does "Shu" come from?
Egyptian god of wisdom
16%
 16%  [ 4 ]
The chinese techniques of power
83%
 83%  [ 20 ]
Total Votes : 24

Scarlet Assassin

Disciples of Death

331436 Potch
0 Soldiers
2442517 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 6:48 pm    Post subject: The origin of Shu Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

No I don't mean literally. What I mean is his name. While I have long held the belief that Shu's name was directly related to the Egyptian god of the same name (God of wind and wisdom if I'm not mistaken.) This seemed a valid theory thanks to his quick thinking (wind) and formidability in the field of strategy (wisdom).

This theory, however, has been overtaken by a more likely possiblity. In a book of Chinese military strategy I recently came across and interesting sentence. "The school of Legalism preached to chinese rules, the importance of Shu (The techniques of power.)

The brings up the very interesting question of which is a more likely theory. While the CHinese version of Shu is viable due to its relationship to asian culture, the egyptian version seems to fit him better. Now I've reached the point where I can't decide which is more likely. At first it seems as though the Asian factor would make CHinese Shu much more likely, but then we realize that Suikoden ahs incorporated many different cultures into names (Kurdish for Pesmerga, German for many things relation to Zexen, and French for a few characters)

Which do you think is more likely to be the origin of Shu's name? Does anyone else have a theory?

Chief of Beat-em-up Honeys Division, Devoted Protector of Lady Tifa Lockhart
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Sophita

The Wee Kitty Grand Duke Defense Brigade

498078 Potch
1330 Soldiers
2725 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Shu = reference to Zhuge Liang, I always thought. When you go to get him in Radat, the plot kind of references the 3 visits Liu Bei makes to Zhuge Liang in that it's insanely hard to see him, and when you do see him, it's not until he's moved by your dedication that he agrees to join you. Afterwards he enacts genius strategies and shows a critical eye on who to ally with and when. Even his looks/movements kind of remind me of Zhuge Liang. So, er, yes, I think he's just meant to be a winking reference to Zhuge Liang of Ro3K China.

SCII month continues! DueFiumi.com
John Layfield wrote:
But bubbles... children love bubbles! XD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Starslasher

Chunks of Chaco-late.

1177790 Potch
300 Soldiers
35 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah, i would have to go with Sophitia. I thought that Shu was supposed to resemble a bt of Zhuge Liang. He look like him a little bit. But you must have done some impressive researching for the Shu - as - a - Egyptian - god - of - wisdom thing. For that, i applaud you Scarlet Assassin.

Bork! Bork! Bork!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Deleted User 1

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I did notice that Shu was the same word as the dynasty warriors army... but I never really think of Zhuge Liang even though both Shu and Zhuge were strategists... I saw no other relations between the two, I was just thinking about the names and well... obviously thought something wrong and just gave up remembering the fact that they are both just a coincedence hahaha... and even up to now, after reading the posts before me (I like your interesting post by the way Sophita) I still think of it as a coincedence and nothing more...

JNX out
Zaleria

1296207 Potch
13650 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well actually i think Zhuge Liang of the Shu army and Shu from suikoden II ae quite alike in terms of story. If you play dynasty warriors (i played DW4) on the battle of Wu Zhang Plains(spell?) Zhuge Liang did everything he could to outsmart cao cao even until his death. just like how shu outsmarted leon in suikoden II. the only little difference is Zhuge Liang died and Shu survived...

Tonby, while I'm not in Zexen wrote:

I just noticed that if you turn Zexen Activity Levels into an acronym, it makes ZAL. Oh the irony! =P
Exile

Sword Brothers

6894145 Potch
200 Soldiers
91 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
I did notice that Shu was the same word as the dynasty warriors army... but I never really think of Zhuge Liang even though both Shu and Zhuge were strategists... I saw no other relations between the two

The other relation between the two would be that Zhuge Liang was the strategist for the Shu-Han, emphasis on the 'Shu' in that.

Cry woe, destruction, ruin, and decay -
The worst is death, and death will have his day.
Sophita

498078 Potch
1330 Soldiers
2725 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Beast Rune wrote:
Well actually i think Zhuge Liang of the Shu army and Shu from suikoden II ae quite alike in terms of story. If you play dynasty warriors (i played DW4) on the battle of Wu Zhang Plains(spell?) Zhuge Liang did everything he could to outsmart cao cao even until his death. just like how shu outsmarted leon in suikoden II. the only little difference is Zhuge Liang died and Shu survived...

For a little while, but, er, Shu fell quite easily. Zhuge Liang died in 234; Shu officially surrendered in 264 and had been on a losing streak since his death (and beforehand, really - Liu Bei's death kind of signaled the end of it; Liu Shan, who succeeded him, was not a very strong ruler and let one of his eunuch run everything; did not have his father's gift for craftiness). Of all the kingdoms, they can't really be called the survivors at all - Wu lasted the longest (58 years), but Wei was the ultimate victors as they established the Jin dynasty which lasted over 150 years, I believe. (Well, Sima Yi & his descendants established the Jin dynasty. The Cao's didn't like it too much. :p)

John Layfield wrote:
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Zaleria

1296207 Potch
13650 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

For a little while, but, er, Shu fell quite easily. Zhuge Liang died in 234; Shu officially surrendered in 264 and had been on a losing streak since his death (and beforehand, really - Liu Bei's death kind of signaled the end of it; Liu Shan, who succeeded him, was not a very strong ruler and let one of his eunuch run everything; did not have his father's gift for craftiness). Of all the kingdoms, they can't really be called the survivors at all - Wu lasted the longest (58 years), but Wei was the ultimate victors as they established the Jin dynasty which lasted over 150 years, I believe. (Well, Sima Yi & his descendants established the Jin dynasty. The Cao's didn't like it too much. :p)

Are you commenting about the last sentence in my post? ( the only little difference is Zhuge Liang died and Shu survived...) When I stated Shu, i meant Lord Shu the strategist in Suikoden II and not the kingdom of Shu-Han...

Tonby, while I'm not in Zexen wrote:

I just noticed that if you turn Zexen Activity Levels into an acronym, it makes ZAL. Oh the irony! =P
Sophita

498078 Potch
1330 Soldiers
2725 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

...Yes.

DOH!

John Layfield wrote:
Sai Fujiwara

Executors of Divine Providence

22038 Potch
0 Soldiers
5678 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

People seem to think of Shu as being a reference to Zhuge Liang, but after playing through the Dynasty Warriors games, and reading on some of the background story / history on it, I would actually liken Shu in Suikoden II as being closer to Zhou Yu of Wu.

First of all, he looks a lot more like Zhou Yu in Dynasty warriors, than Zhuge Liang. Furthermore, Zhuge Liang had NO equal in the Three Kingdoms period... Or so it was written. Anyway, I would actually liken someone like Zhuge Liang to Mathiu Silverberg, which would make Apple kind of like Jiang Wei, whom Zhuge Liang taught. Personality-wise, it also seems to fit in with Mathiu, since he did everything he could for the Liberation Army, right until his death... Just like Zhuge Liang did for the Shu kingdom.

I pretty much akin Zhou Yu to Shu, since he looks like him, and it kinda' fits in with everything... (Well, my own thoughts, that is...) I would also akin Leon to Sima Yi (who probably WAS a better strategist than Zhou Yu.) Zhou Yu was pretty smart, but he wasn't a Zhuge Liang. Just as Shu wasn't THE smartest strategist, but he was one of the best. He admits that Leon is better, but Zhuge Liang never met anyone who was better... According to the Dynasty Warriors series, Sima Yi THOUGHT he was better, but he probably really wasn't... It's kinda' hard to say, though, since I'm sure some things are probably skewed and stretched a little in the Dynasty Warriors Series.

Anyway, that's my theory, though it probably WAS Konami's intention to make Shu a reference to Zhuge Liang.

Oh, and nice points about the three visits thing, Sophita. I didn't think of that, but it works... Even so, if they wanted to make Shu a Zhuge Liang reference, they missed the most important point... NO ONE WAS BETTER THAN ZHUGE LIANG! :P

I could make a little more discussion about the Three Kingdoms era since that interests me, but now probably isn't the thread for such a thing. :P

Happily Married to the Lovely Lady Chris Lightfellow! :D
Pahn

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I definately think it's the power. Specially since Suikoden is much more chinese than egyptian, and shu seems to represent Military might and power much more than he represents wisdom.
fuji

9643133 Potch
16500 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Zhuge Liang had no equal because the guy who romanticized the 3kingdoms story was a descendant of the Shu empire. IMO the fall of Shu began with Guan Yu's death, not Liu Bei's. Liu Bei went nuts and it cost them the war, revenge took up his every thought. Upon his death, the empire was left to his son who dispite having good genes, wasn't a good leader. But Shu's position was already weakened due to Liu Bei want for revenge.

I agree with Sai, that Mathiu was based on Zhuge Liang. Remember the ploy to get arrows when Kongming was with Zhou Yu as a "guest" and Wei was invading (sent empty boats out with straw to catch arrows). That same ploy was used by Mathiu before a major battle. However, I disagree that Apple would be Jiang Wei. Jiang Wei was a good strategist, Apple, by her own admission wasn't.

Shu did seem like another character referenced to Kongming though. The 3 run-ins with him in Radat resembled Liu Bei's 3 visits.

....slightly off topic, Wasn't it Pang Tong who left Liu Bei an envelope (or instructions) to be opened at specific times, before he was forced to live in the Wei Kingdom (due to a ploy by Cao Cao)? Didn't that remind anyone of Ceaser in Suikoden 3 leaving envelopes for Thomas?

___ "That's not much"

"It's enough"
Fudgepuppy

Natasha

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Shu i could be a chinesse
Sophita

498078 Potch
1330 Soldiers
2725 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I agree weith you, Sai Fujiwara, that if any character were totally Zhuge Liang-ish, it would be Mathiu. That said, I do still think that Shu is a deliberate reference to Zhuge Liang and Shu, namely the 3 visits resembling your trip to Radat. I don't think Shu is meant to be a carbon copy of ZHuge Liang, but I do think he's just meant as a winking reference, as far as his name goes.

Now, the real mystery, of course, is who named their daughter Apple. :lol:

John Layfield wrote:
Sai Fujiwara

Executors of Divine Providence

22038 Potch
0 Soldiers
5678 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

lol Point taken, Sophita. And I pretty much agree that Shu was supposed to be a nod to Zhuge Liang, it's just that well... They botched a few things in my opinion, that's all. :P

As far as the name "Apple" is concerned, I think that's a really cute name. You know, something along the lines of "Apple of my eye." It probably has something to do with that. Anyway, I like it, and my guess is whoever named her Apple was someone who could appreciate metaphorical speech. :mrgreen:

Happily Married to the Lovely Lady Chris Lightfellow! :D
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Character Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: