Suikoden Uncouth and Inspirational Kraalesque Oblique Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Softdrinks
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Inko

Nikostratos

629196 Potch
5000 Soldiers
465 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:12 am    Post subject: Softdrinks Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Some say they are bad for your health, others say they do wonders for those times when you just need that little extra boost. So basically what is your take on these highly caffinated beverages? good for you? What sort of softdrinks do you drink the most? Have you become adicted to these sultry little drinks, or have built up an immunity to the caffine through years of hard work and determination?
Sailor Sexy

Mikan weeps for Brady

246380 Potch
175 Soldiers
50 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, I'd say it's pretty definite that they are bad for you. One every now and again isn't going to hurt, but drinking them daily and in large amounts, it's been found to erode your stomach lining, weaken your teeth, and other things. Now, basically you'd have to be drinking at least 5 or more a day for a long time for this to happen, but is that really so uncommon now? Seems like there's been an increase in the consumption of soda over the years, so that's not such an outrageous claim as it once was.

Personally, I don't drink a ton of soda. A few years back I stopped drinking regular soda and switched just to diet, not because of weight concerns but more because I have a family history of diabetes, so I try to cut out the sugar where ever I can.

My current favorite would be Cherry Coke Zero. It doesn't have that usual diet taste that you get, so it really is a lot like how I remember Cherry Coke being, although as I said it's been years since I've drank a regular soda, so maybe I've forgotten how it really tastes. Still, the point is, it tastes good to me.

At most I might drink a case (24) in a month, so less than 1 can of soda a day. I used to be pretty bad about soda, especially in college. I'd probably drink a case in a week or more depending on the time of year or if I had my exams. Back then I'd pull all nighters, so I'd need plenty of caffeine and nicotine to keep me going, and since I can't stand coffee, soda it was.

~Uguu!~
Dew Dust

2127634 Potch
200 Soldiers
104 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I used to be addicted to them during college. I personally like the carbonated feeling, but I bet it was also the sugar though others claim it could have been the caffeine. I doubt it was the caffeine since I didn't draw such an affinity for coffee or tea. But within the past few years, I have found other drinks that I prefer more so over soda. Besides the idea that soda is bad for my health, I guess I have become addicted to the fruit sugars of these other drinks that I like more so now preferable orange and cranberry juice. They taste yummy and they are also good for you ^^

Prince Geass Falenas

2327939 Potch
1337 Soldiers
3028000 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The sugar in soda seriously makes you gain weight. I used to drink alot of it way back when and then at one point I tried this "no sugar" diet. Which included avoiding sugar and anything sweet. I think I remember noticing after awhile I lost 5-10 pounds from avoiding all that suger...

I still drink soda now but it's sort of rarer then way back when for sure.

Also whilest on the topic...I heard that the more "clear" a soda is the less...mmm..how you say it...damaging it is to your body? I sort of forgot the specifics but I think it was something about darker sodas like coke and root beer etc have more harmful chemicals and artificial colorings and flavors that make it more bad for your body than say...sprite, etc...though I don't have/never really seen any real evidence "scientific evidence" to back it up
...all the same the only soda's I drink usually tend to be closer to the clear end.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Failure_Urn

[SPECTATOR]

673539 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sailor Sexy wrote:
Well, I'd say it's pretty definite that they are bad for you. One every now and again isn't going to hurt, but drinking them daily and in large amounts, it's been found to erode your stomach lining, weaken your teeth, and other things. Now, basically you'd have to be drinking at least 5 or more a day for a long time for this to happen, but is that really so uncommon now? Seems like there's been an increase in the consumption of soda over the years, so that's not such an outrageous claim as it once was.

I dont know if it would be considerd 5 drinks, but after brakfast when i drink water i usually drink pop the rest of the day. So I am probably what you described there. But let me defend myself. I am skinny and have a fast metablism, if anything i need to gain weight. To do so I need a higher calorie intake per day than i expend. I also swim laps most days which is very physically engaging. So I burn away what is bad and what is left over is stored in the form of fat, which is a good thing for me. Now im not saying all i do is drink pop, but i dont think it is all that bad for me. However i can not argua against the chemical, and acid content, thats still there. I can only eat so much healthy food before I just need something that tastes good. Also Pepsi is my favorite, yumm.

Inko wrote:
these highly caffinated beverages?

As for Caffine, pop/soda has less cafine in it than Coffie and even less than energy drinks so that is not on my list of worries. Also by now I am sure I am tollarant to the effects of the caffine.

Nadistu wrote:
Also whilest on the topic...I heard that the more "clear" a soda is the less...mmm..how you say it...damaging it is to your body?

I've heard that too. I know that Sprite is caffine free, but other than that I do not know how much healthier a clear soda is.

Windriders

544907 Potch
4066 Soldiers
620 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Failure_Urn wrote:
As for Caffine, pop/soda has less cafine in it than Coffie and even less than energy drinks so that is not on my list of worries. Also by now I am sure I am tollarant to the effects of the caffine.

Yeah, the average soft-drink has about 34 mg per serving (Mountain Dew has higher). The amount in coffee varies, because of preparation, but average, it's around 100 mg higher. Energy drinks have more than that. Tea has about half of what soft drinks have. However, that doesn't really mean that soda is better for you than coffee, as the sugar is really the worst part of the soft drink.

The effects have caffeine have shown some positive effects and some negative effects. While caffeine dependency has, such as heart irregularity. But caffeine has also been shown to have an effect in lowering the risk of several other diseases, which is why it's used in medicines.

However, saying soda is healthy because of this is a stretch, as it's still pretty much still high in sugar, which is really the worst part of any soda. For most kids, it's their first addiction (and people don't really even realize it until they go through withdrawals).

Personally, I rarely touch soda, coffee or tea. Never got into the taste, so I typically end up drinking water, juice or milk most of the time. When I do, it's typically not a lot.
Sailor Sexy

Mikan weeps for Brady

246380 Potch
175 Soldiers
50 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, the sugar is certainly bad, but I'd say the carbonation in the soda is just as bad for you. It's the carbonation that does the damage to your throat and stomach, not to mention it causes your stomach to stretch and expand, thus making you feel hungrier and thus eating more, hence gaining more tonnage. Either way, there are better ways to gain weight other than drinking soda, but I'm not a nutritionist, so I'm not one to talk.

~Uguu!~
Failure_Urn

[SPECTATOR]

673539 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

not to mention it causes your stomach to stretch and expand, thus making you feel hungrier and thus eating more, hence gaining more tonnage

Are you sure, that just sounds to me like it would make you feel full because your stomach is getting bigger, like if you were to eat more.

Yea I'm not saying its a healthy thing, I'm just saying that its not so unhealthy that it should be avoided at all costs.

Windriders

544907 Potch
4066 Soldiers
620 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Typically, the larger the stomach, the more of your appetite is, the smaller it is, the less you have to eat to feel full.
RedCydranth

Ice Dragons

3650446 Potch
194 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think the point he was trying to convey is, if it fills the stomach to the point it expands, wouldn't it give a sensation of feeling full rather than empty? Picture a Water Baloon. Without water its small. Pour water in and it expands, and thus it becomes full of water.

Now to defend Amyral's side and to clarify to Failure Urn what Amyral means. Take my water balloon Scenario. Our stomach is similar to this, however since our stomach is not a closed sack, and has an emptying point into the intestines, when a carbonated beverage is poured into the stomach it does expand. The stomach acid mixes with the carbonation and causes a gassy build up (resulting in a burp). Before we burp, this gas also expands the stomach somewhat. Since liquid is far easier digested, it does not stay int he stomach as long as food does so it goes onto the intestines. Since our stomach is unlike a balloon's rubbery exterior, it doesn't collapse to its smaller size as fast. So when we drink a soft drink, opur stomach expands and shortly thereafter we feel like we are running on E and need to eat.

Thats the best I can explain that. Personally though, I love soft drinks. Pop, as its called around here, is something I struggle to live without. I have a severe adiction to sugar. the caffeine isn't a factor as nowadays most sodas are caffeine free. Unless you buy those with caffeine specifically. I stay away from Cola though because I just don't like the feeling in has on my teeth. Coca-Cola is the worst when it comes to making my teeth feel all gritty. Pepsi isn't bad, but its still there. RC is the best, but living in the north, we don't get it in all or stores. I tend to drink Orange soda, grape soda and Cherry sodas the most. They are pretty high in sugar and generally are caffeine free. I used to have an obsession with Dr. Pepper (Geddoe remembers those days) but since have weaned myself off of the great physician. I'll still indulge if I'm out at a restaurant and I see it on the menu though. Since most restaurants don't carry grape or cherry sodas, and I drink Orange far too often.

Diet sodas are the absolute worst. I do not understand how anyone can drink them. The Aspartame is the worst tasting stuff I can think of that humans routinely ingest and enjoy. That and beer. Ugh. Aside from the flavor, there's no study that efficiently tells us what Aspartame does to our bodies, as its an anomoly. In some people it is absorbed while others pass it through their system. Those that absorb it, some people it gives them energy, while others it tires. I can't trust a chemical that has such a fluctuating result on our bodies. Besides, I think it causes cancer. But thats me and my hatred for the stuff. I'm biased against the drug. I still don't know why the FDA approved it. Its the only drug that the FDA approved that they don't know what it does to your body.

I think though that regular soft drinks are fine. Sure, anything in massive quantities can kill you (look at the girl who died drinking too much water) however if you are intelligent, and have some self control, then it shouldn't be a problem. Anyone who goes through large quantities of any product has issues, not just those who over indulge on sodas. If you eat a whole box of ho-hos, or go through a roll of toilet paper every 2 days, you need to cut back. Or in the case of extreme bowel activity, see a doctor.

I drink about 2 cans of soda a day. That equates to 60 cans a month, or 2 and 1/2 cases. That makes 30 cases a year of pop I drink. Go me!

Fantasy Football (NFL) Sign Ups in Sports Forum!
Phamex

Raccoon Dogs

135274 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I <3 soda ^^ I'm addicted to the caffiene though :P Is it just me or is anyone else particular about how they drink their soda? For instance, Coke is my favorite, but only if it's in the can, I can't stand it from the fountain. :( Pepsi is the reverse for me, can bad, fountain good. But both are good from the bottle XD Also, it has to be cold. Some of my friends like soda better when it's warm (yuck) but once it reaches room temp, I won't touch it.

When I was young I used to have a 2 soda limit for the day. Now I have one of those huge 54oz cups from 7-11. I now have a mug of soda bigger than my head and yet I only drink the equivalent of half a can from it....the irony.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Failure_Urn

[SPECTATOR]

673539 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ahh thanks for explaining that I understand now =)

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I have to admit that I drink way too much soda. Even knowing that all the sugar and additives it has I still end up drinking more of it than I do juice and water combined. The only silver lining I see with this bad habit of mine is I drink mostly Diet Coke or Caffeine-Free Diet Coke.

[SPECTATOR]

673539 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

You know juice can have a lot of sugar in it too

Windriders

544907 Potch
4066 Soldiers
620 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Failure_Urn wrote:
You know juice can have a lot of sugar in it too

Isn't it a different type of sugar, though?

Either way, fruit juice tends to have a lot of other health benefits, whereas soda doesn't really have any unless it's specifically fortified, which most aren't, so it's not really any debate as to which is better.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Media All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: