Suikoden Urgent and Illegal Keystone Oblique Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Does your morning coffee really wake you up?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Decado

Desert Elite

357208 Potch
0 Soldiers
4283 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:06 am    Post subject: Does your morning coffee really wake you up? Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Article in my morning newspaper yesterday.

Quote:

Many of us love a cup of coffee to get us going in the mornings but it is a myth that it makes you more alert. Drinking coffee – or tea – simply eases the symptoms of caffeine withdrawal, according to one expert.During the night caffeine leaves the body, making you less alert and moodier.

Grabbing a morning cuppa reverses these effects but does not boost alertness above the levels of people who do not drink caffeine, claims Peter Rogers, professor of biological psychology at Bristol University.

'This is one of those things that has been debated for the past few years, but the evidence is pretty clear,' added Prof Rogers.

'The idea your morning coffee gives you a lift is a myth.'

He said caffeine's supposed uplifting effect was often seen as outweighing its negative effects, such as increased blood pressure and anxiety. But there is some good news for coffee connoisseurs – evidence suggests drinking caffeine could protect against diseases such as Parkinson's. And if you don't think you can kick your habit, don't worry.

'Caffeine consumers depend on it, but that's not the same as addiction. It's not hard to stop taking,' added Prof Rogers.

'I would avoid caffeine if you are concerned about blood pressure but you can still get a pretty good cup of decaf,' said the professor, who is addressing the British Nutrition 40th anniversary conference in London today.

I know there's quite a few coffee lovers on suikox so what do you think on this? Truth or rubbish?

Defender of Highland

371188 Potch
2170 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I must admit that coffee doesn't really make me feel more awake, though just drinking it does make me seem more alert. If I'm really tired, not even two cups of coffee will help me.

Prince Geass Falenas

2327939 Potch
1337 Soldiers
3028000 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: Does your morning coffee really wake you up? Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

Grabbing a morning cuppa reverses these effects but does not boost alertness above the levels of people who do not drink caffeine
I have to agree with this.

I myself do not drink coffee (I can't stand the smell of the coffee beans for too long...much less imagine drinking the stuff) but I do drink tea every morning, especially in the cold months and from what I've noticed it doesn't make me more "alert" at all

In fact a nice cup of tea more often then not makes me more sleepy.
The other times I guess it does make me more awake however I would think it's because the drink is hot--you'd have to be/reach a certain degree of awake-ness to avoid drinking so much at once that you'd scorch your insides.

I drink both caffeine and non-caffeine tea (I usually drink non-caffeine but I've drank caffeinated tea lately) and besides a slight difference in taste I don't "feel" any other difference in regards to awake-ness

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I agree with that article. Best example of coffee not really affecting whether I can be fully awake was yesterday. I had a Venti White Chocolate Mocha from Starbucks with two extra shots of espresso and I still felt groggy and sleepy afterwards. If one was tired and sleepy no amount of caffeine will wake them up. The times that I feel like coffee was perking me up in the morning has less to do with the caffeine itself but more the smell of the coffee and the ritual and habit of drinking it. I've gone days without having a morning cup of coffee and I was wide awake through all of them.

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I suppose people are just measuring how tired they were before to after the coffee, not realising it's the caffeine addiction itself that is making them feel tired.
Malvagio

Liberatori di Inferno

26524 Potch
63 Soldiers
123938 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

You know its so true, coffee never made me feel "awake" and alert...if anything it relaxed me TOO much at work. After a cup of coffee, I kinda just felt like chilling at my desk doing nothing for 15 minutes straight hehe. You can always buy the pep pills I use at GNC that do work however. :P

"Devoted Protector of Lord Logg and Lady Valeria"
Yohn

Confused Chaquita Banana Minions

464538 Potch
425 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Coffee never made me feel very "awake," either... I usually drink some in the evening before bed because it usually helps with my headaches so I get a better night's sleep.

"And as the lion slaughters man, I am the wolf and you're the lamb." ~Blind Guardian
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Masaya

Flying Fusillades

222963 Potch
75 Soldiers
3635 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Unless I drink it harsh enough, I have never felt strong effects from coffee. (On the other hand, I haven't really gotten a hold of any really good caffeinated coffee either.)

Now in college, I've found myself guzzling energy drinks to get my fill of energy for the day. Yeah I know there terrible for you, but I suppose I can't just slide my way out of this new found addiction. Plus I"ve always liked cold drinks better. I like how energy drinks refresh and energize me. While as coffee just makes me warm and have to poop :-/.

blauuurgggh!

174392 Potch
0 Soldiers
1291 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I just drink lots of tea.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Dew Dust

2127634 Potch
200 Soldiers
104 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It does seem true for me. I never really felt that coffee nor tea woke me up. It is more or less a 'comfort' drink in the morning or when it is cold or when I am not feeling well. Interesting article.

Largest Falco Tribute Band Ever

186774 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Coffee and tea actually do help me somewhat. They don't help -that- much, though. I don't depend on caffeine to wake up; what helps me more is just doing stuff. Ginseng tea actually does wake me up a bit, but that's not usually what I drink... anyway, the article probably does have some basis, but you can't totally say that caffeine doesn't make you more alert. It's just a lot better at keeping people up, if they have enough of it.

I do seem to recall reading an article about a study that said that people who drink a little caffeine before going to sleep tend to wake up alert. My tendency actually has been to drink coffee, tea, soda, or whatever other caffeinated beverage I have around at later hours, partly because I much prefer being up late to getting up early. It's often silly to base anything off of a single study, but I put some stock in that one, because my sleeping hours haven't ridiculously shifted and I can usually fall asleep whenever (excepting consumption of truly large amounts of caffeine), but I do tend to wake up pretty alert.
Failure_Urn

[SPECTATOR]

673539 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

That makes sense. I only drink coffie every once in a while when i remember to bring money in the morning to buy some. Because these days are so spread out i do feel the boost from the caffeine. The same could be said about energy drinks, they are not just magic energy fluid, its just packed full of caffeine, however Coffie has more caffine, so someone who drinks alot of coffie wont be feeling the energy drinks.

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I can't stand coffee. I tried it once and it did nothing but leave a terrible taste in my mouth, and that was AFTER like 15 spoonfulls of sugar. I just wake up earlier instead.

[SPECTATOR]

673539 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yvl wrote:
I can't stand coffee. I tried it once and it did nothing but leave a terrible taste in my mouth, and that was AFTER like 15 spoonfulls of sugar. I just wake up earlier instead.

I usually get a mix, the machine i get it from has a coffie/ameretto get it with 3 units of cream and 3 units of sugar and it tastes fine. But Coffie is a taste you have to get used to, I can not drink black coffie.

Raccoon Dogs

135274 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I agree with the article, though most people doctor their coffee up with lots of sugar, which might have something to do with the pick me up they feel. I know I'm guilty of the same XD Can't take my coffe without creamer and/or milk and at least 3 teaspoons of sugar. Woo-hoo!!! Bring on the sugar high! ;)

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: