Suikoden Uncouth and Irenic Kibbutz Old Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

NFL Season 2007
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Samurai X

The Hokies

74481 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
Does Petrino's bushleague and cowardly move towards the Falcons and Arthur Blank (he seems to be quite the nice owner) pretty much begins the death-knell on the high-profile college football head coaches from coming over to the NFL where they don't seem well-suited to succeed or even operated with a semblance of competence. I mean look at the so-called genius college head coaches who made the money move from college ball to the pros

What Petrino did was classless, no doubt. But the media (ESPN) blew it out of proportion. It was sickening to hear all the one-sided opinions and all the namecalling. We have no idea of what actually went on behind the scenes. I wonder what Lou Holtz had to say? He did the same thing to the Jets years ago.

I don't agree with Petrino's actions. However, Petrino did what was best for him. Petrino didn't get the job he was offered in Atlanta. Vick is gone. His players quit on him. He had every right to back out. Should he have finished the season? Yes. His timing was horrible and he looked terrible because of the note he left the team.

Petrino was probably gone (at years end) whether he got the Arkansas job or not. He got the offer, and left early because he needs to get a start on recruiting and establishing his program. Blank knew what he was getting after Petrino just signed a 10 year contract extension with Louisville. Blank deserves as much criticism as Arkansas is recieving.

Petrino will probably build a winner at Arkansas, unless he moves elsewhere. He's a good college coach. But NFL owners will continue to look wherever to help build them a successful team. College ranks included. Some will probably succeed, others will end up like Petrino/Ross/Holtz/Saban etc.
Calvin

Legions of Zontar-Killers

817540 Potch
25 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I disagree with your sentiments, Samurai X. I believe it was unethical on the part of both Petrino and Arkansas. If another NFL team were to go after a coach in such a manner, they would be severely punished. Just because Blank "knew what he was getting," as you put it, doesn't exonerate Petrino of all guilt. Petrino is still in the offending party. Do you blame a pretty woman for getting raped because she was "too pretty?" Its an extreme example, but follows the same basic prinicples.

Quote:

I don't agree with Petrino's actions. However, Petrino did what was best for him. Petrino didn't get the job he was offered in Atlanta. Vick is gone. His players quit on him. He had every right to back out. Should he have finished the season? Yes. His timing was horrible and he looked terrible because of the note he left the team.

I don't think being in a situation that isn't all peaches and sunshine is good enough justification for quitting. Cam Cameron's team hasn't won a game yet, and yet he is still with the Dolphins. Granted, the Vick situation was a terrible blow for the Falcons organization, but in the case of his players quitting on him--well, that ultimately is a reflection of failed coaching.

I think there should be clauses in coaches contracts that levy financial fines for leaving a franchise mid season.

I changed the number on my phone so you can't call me up at home, and you can't say those
things to me, that make me fall down on my knees.

Samurai X

The Hokies

74481 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
If another NFL team were to go after a coach in such a manner, they would be severely punished. Just because Blank "knew what he was getting," as you put it, doesn't exonerate Petrino of all guilt. Petrino is still in the offending party. Do you blame a pretty woman for getting raped because she was "too pretty?" Its an extreme example, but follows the same basic prinicples.

Point taken. Although, I'm not trying to exonerate Petrino. His actions were wrong. But, we can hope all parties involved can learn from this event.

I do disagree with your comments about Petrino's coaching. I think the players quit way to early in the season to even give him a chance. Guys like DHall never gave him an opportunity.

Quote:
I don't think being in a situation that isn't all peaches and sunshine is good enough justification for quitting.

If a man isn't happy with his job, I'm not going to crucify him for leaving it. The media should point out that Petrino handled the situation poorly. People make mistakes. Still, I don't like how ESPN jumped all over him. They didn't cover both vantage points well.
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I really don't think there was any other vantage point to be had outside of maybe the Arkansas boosters and fans. The only one from the Falcons to not jump on Petrino was Chris Redman and all he said was that he thanked the man for the opportunity to join the team and left it at that. Really, if ESPN even went out of its way trying to find someone who approved of Petrino's action --- and really that's the only other opinion outside of those already being given --- then it reeks of political correctness. When someone does something like Petrino did then its hard for even his biggest supporters to come out and say Petrino was the victim.

CNNSI did point out that Arthur Blank knew he was getting a coach that was flaky at best and disloyal at worst and in the end Blank got the disloyal coach. Even then I can't blame Blank too much just for the fact that he thought maybe coaching in the NFL would be a dream job enough for the man. I do agree that Petrino jumped ship like a coward by leaving the team without finishing the season (I believe the same about Lou Holtz after he did the same to the Jets). Cam Cameron is in the same situation with a team that was seen by some as being good enough to make the playoffs as a Wild Card yet when things just fell apart for the team I don't see the man looking to leave. In fact, I think Cameron will probably want to stay on the job for the long haul to try and right the ship.

As for the team quitting on Petrino there's already talk from players like Harrington --- who seemed to be in a good enough terms with Petrino --- that Petrino's playcalling didn't show him to be quite the offensive genius. Playcalls which included plays and formations never practiced during the week. Even if only some of what Harrington is saying is true that shows that Petrino's reputation as a great coach are smoke and mirrors or the man already thought of leaving even before the season began when he saw Vick would not be on the team. I mean it's not like Atlanta was a bad offensive team. They were at the top in the NFC as a running offense yet this year they're close to being on the bottom.

I hope Arkansas has the number to some of the other coaches they were thinking of hiring because I think Petrino probably already looking at finding a new school to jump to.

Mikan weeps for Brady

246380 Potch
175 Soldiers
50 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

So, the Patriots get themselves to 16-0. From one perspective, I suppose you coudl say that they showed some vulnerability. But, the fact of the matter is that the Patriots showed that no matter the circumstances, they still can pull off that win. If you wanna say that they're tied with the '72 Dolphins, then have at it. But you're wrong and a moron. 16-0 is far superior to 14-0. Bye-bye Dolphins. Every citizen of the United States should be granted the right to beat the shit out of Sammy Morris. That asshole deserves to be tarred and feathered for his idiotic comments about the Patriots. If these sports sites had any balls, they'd give the address of that loser so people like me, who have plenty of time on their hands, could fly down to his house and give him a punch in the nose. Anyone who thinks he doesn't deserve one should have a punch in the nose themselves. Lousy ingrate. The Patriots will take the Super Bowl that they deserve and the 1972 Dolphins will be forgotten. Too bad Shcula and Morris.

~Uguu!~

Last edited by Sailor Sexy on Sun Dec 30, 2007 1:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Calvin

817540 Potch
25 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'll prenote my post by saying that I don't view the '72 Dolphins as the best team in NFL history just because they went undefeated. I don't even think they're the best Dolphins team in history. It takes more than simply being a great team to go undefeated in the NFL. You also have to have a little bit of good fortune. That said:

Quote:

If you wanna say that they're tied with the '72 Dolphins, then have at it. But you're wrong and a moron. 16-0 is far superior to 14-0. Bye-bye Dolphins.

Except that the Dolphins went 17-0 and won the Superbowl. The Patriots may have won more games in the regular season, but right now that Dolphins 1972 season is more of an accomplishment than the Patriots 2007 season. Whether that remains the case is anybody's guess, but the Patriots will give Dolphins fans all the ammunition they need if they don't win the Superbowl, definitely--and in my own opinion, the Patriots winning the Superbowl is all but a sure thing. They probably have the best chance out of anybody in the playoffs, but I wouldn't say that it is probable that they will win. They've had their closest games against teams with good secondaries and a good pash rush (basically, teams good at defending the pass). That means the Colts, the Jaguars, and the Titans if they get in. The Chargers also have had a pretty good pass defense this year, and I believe Pittsburgh showed that safety that kept biting on playaction against the Patriots the bench, so perhaps they will be better as well. Against the Patriots, obviously you don't bite on playaction.

So basically, if the Titans get in I think that every other team in the AFC playoffs has a shot to beat the Patriots. Cleveland doesn't have a chance in hell, so if they get in instead of the Titans it'd be 4 out of 5 teams. I won't even get in to the NFC at this point.

If I were a Dolphins homer I'd tell you that they played most of the '72 season with a backup quarterback as well. :P

I changed the number on my phone so you can't call me up at home, and you can't say those

Sailor Sexy

Mikan weeps for Brady

246380 Potch
175 Soldiers
50 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Bah, you and your reality! Ok, as I've been without beer for several minutes now, we'll get more objective. Even if I step outside my insane Patriots fan obsession, the only team I see as a legitimate threat is the Colts. The Jags are not a threat. And really, the NFC is not an issue here. Eventually the NFC will catch up. That's the fact of the parity of the NFL. But it's not happening this year. Besides, not only do the Patriots set the record for most regular season wins at 16-0 (Yes, Miami didn't have the opportunity, but who's to say they weren't going to lose one of those two other games?) but there's also the record for points in a season, TDs by a QB, TDs by a WR, and even though they set this last week, they added to TDs scored in a season. Also they have the record for most wins in a row in the regular season.

I know that I'm overrating some of these things, and I know that you're purposely underrating them, because I do agree with you that without a Belichick trophy (Lombardi who?) it'll just be a fun afterthought. Still, the fact is, that these records are in the books, and nothing that happens in the post season can change that. Still, keep in mind that I firmly believe that the only team that can possibly beat the Patriots are the Colts. And that I don't think is a smart bet. If I'm wrong, I'll just pretend I never said anything here, of course, but this is one of the few years where it's realistically looking like I just may be right and the Patriots will have an easy run to the Super Bowl championship. Don't kid yourself, the only team that has a shot at beating the Patriots is in the AFC. No NFC team can beat them, and I'll back that up any way you want me to if it comes to that.

~Uguu!~
Calvin

817540 Potch
25 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The Patriots did achieve all the records you mentioned, that much is true. There are arguments I could use to counter some of them (Jerry Rice didn't play a full season when he broke the record, Peyton Manning rested those last few games, etc), but the fact is the Patriots earned those records in the 16 games alloted to them fair and square, so despite how much I loathe them I've got to give them that. Though, they'll always be "tied" with the Dolphins for going undefeated, since you can't go more undefeated than someone else. I mean, its not like the Patriots are going to get extra points on their 1.000 percentage just for playing a few more games. But, the fact that now only 4 teams have done it in the entire history of the NFL is testament to how amazing it is.

Obviously I think there are other teams besides the Colts that can beat the Patriots, so I guess we'll just leave it at that and see what happens. But in the NFL, David beats Goliath all the time. ^_^

Milan Fiori

Vanguard Elite

715991 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think the fact that the Patriots playing as crappy as they have been (Cause let's face it, the last three or four games, they've been playing pretty terrible) and they still win? Just goes to show up much of a difference there is between them and the rest of the NFL. I do however think they can't be playing like they have been if they expect to take down the teams like the Colts.

As for their records... well.. you can say anything you want about the past holders. They didn't do this, or weren't able to do that. But in the end that really doesn't matter now does it? Ifs and buts don't mean anything after the fact. So I have to go with SS and say anybody who says the Pats and '72 Dolphins are tied need to open their eyes a bit, because they're not. At least not up until this point. You can say all the other stuff about them going 17 -0 and winning the superbowl but we haven't gotten to that point yet. So no, up until the end of the regular season New England blew them out of the water.

And I don't think any other team out there can beat the Pats besides the Colts. And when that game comes, I hope Manning is ready to bend over and take it like a man from Brady.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Sailor Sexy

Mikan weeps for Brady

246380 Potch
175 Soldiers
50 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

On a side note, I should say that I'm glad that the Giants kept their starters in the whole game. The announcers made a big deal out of the injury to the center in the game, but they are apparently quite ignorant. Offensive linemen are never subbed in in those types of games anyways. When people talk about resting the starters, they're only talking about the so-called skill players, so the center would have been playing regardless. Anyways, since they kept their starters in, at least now there's no having to deal with people saying the Patriots were handed their perfect season. They earned that win, and they continued to prove that they just can't be beaten. Oh sure, the 50 point wins are nice, but I have no problem with the 3 point wins, other than the fact that they require me to drink a bit heavier :)

~Uguu!~
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

A bit of good news for Niner fans which has been mostly bad news all season long. As I predicted Patrick Willis wins Defensive Rookie of the Year with 48 out of 50 first-place votes. the other two first-place votes went to Jon Beason of the Carolina Panthers. I'm just going to assume those two sportwriters hail from the North Carolina area.

If there was one defensive rookie all season who dominated games it would have to be Patrick Willis. He averaged 10 or more total tackles in ten of the sixteen games he started. He even added in four sacks, two forced fumbles and five pass defended to round out his season of 174 total tackles. By the last five games teams have begun to plan their offense to avoid Willis by running away from his part of the field.

Having Hall of Fame linebacker Mike Singletary as a mentor sure helps and probably will be a lasting influence on Willis long after Singletary has taken a head coaching job somewhere else. With Manny Lawson back next season and two very good linebackers in Brandon Moore and Parys Haralsan to finish off the linebacker corp the Niners defense should improve. Now, if only the offense can stay on the field and score points to make the defense's job easier.

Mikan weeps for Brady

246380 Potch
175 Soldiers
50 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

That will never happen as long as you have Alex Smith as your quarterback. I may not be able to tell who's going to be a standout before they play any NFL football, but I can tell you this, having seen a couple seasons of Alex Smith, he's not going to get any better. He had a better year last year because Frank Gore took a lot of pressure off him. Once everyone focused on Gore and make Smith try and win the games, he went to shit. The only reason why he'll have a starting job next year is because your backup quarterbacks were horrible too. The 49ers would be smart to cut him and tell him he's not welcome in the facility any longer.

~Uguu!~
fuji

9643133 Potch
16500 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Gore runs with 11 in the box. Even the corners are lining up in there.

Where oh where is Tim Rattay!?!? That man was the man in San Fran! Or at least the closest thing to the man... well.. he was a man. Which by the way is more than I can say for that kid Alex Smith who can read defences like a JV QB.

I thought SF was idiots for drafting him, I thought they were idiots for signing him large... and starting them sure didn't win them any intelligence points (if points were given out for such things).

As for wild card weekend

Seattle dominated as I thought they would. Washington began beliving that destined-to-win shit and forgot they had to play a game.

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times for Big Ben... I'm also curious who thought a 250lbs QB running a 6 yard sweep against one of the toughest run defences in the league was a good idea.

I thought TB would come closer, or at least keep the game close... oh well, I still liked the outcome.

I can see Fisher now... 6-0 at half time, the game plan is to sit on this lead. We'll have Vince Young try to throw the ball all over the place. Good work... you sat on 6 for the whole half! It was a long shot, but I thought they'd keep it close at least. If Bironas doesn't miss that FG, things are much better...

___ "That's not much"

"It's enough"
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hey, you two won't get an argument out of me in regards to Alex Smith. The way Shaun Hill played once both Smith and Dilfer went down showed that it might not be the offense being called --- though Hostler wasn't ready to be an offensive coordinator and it showed --- but Smith just not being able to run an offense when Gore is being taken out of the picture. I wouldn't be surprised if the Niners make sure Hill is re-signed and he makes a good run at the starting job for 2008.

Mikan weeps for Brady

246380 Potch
175 Soldiers
50 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm not so sure that Shaun Hill is the answer, but he's a lot better option than Alex Smith. A pity, because he cost the Patriots several draft spots by winning meaningless games. Bastard! Not that it matters too much anyways, this year's draft class, by all indications, is going to be a pretty weak one. There's no real "gotta have him" standout player in the draft this year. Who knows, maybe there will be someone worth grabbing as a free agent this year for the 49ers. I'm not too sure what that market is going to be looking like.

~Uguu!~
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Sports All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: