Suikoden Ugly and Infamous Kriegspiel Ontic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

NFL Season 2007
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sierra Mikain

Blue Moon

19500 Potch
0 Soldiers
666 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:37 pm    Post subject: NFL Season 2007 Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well someone needs to make a 2007 thread since the new year officially starts today. I are that person.

Besides the draft which is pretty easy to talk about at the moment, I'd like to see what everyone thinking on the latest brain fart the Detroit Lions made by giving up Dre Bly for Tatum Bell and George Foster.

Personally, I think the trade is absurd on the end of the Lions, tho they were pressured to make the deal because Bly wanted out of Detroit.

Word is that Kevin Jones will miss up to half the season with the injury he got late last season, and Darren Williams is going to miss considerable playtime due to the fact that he's dead. So really it replaces holes both teams have. The difference? Denver is replacing their hole with a probowler and a playmaker, Detroit is filling their hole with a one trick pony who can't stay healthy or consistent.

I'm still weirded out that the Steelers released Joey Porter simply to get under the cap.

Thoughts?

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The Broncos won that trade. They gained a very good corner who can play man-to-man which gives the Broncos defense more options. They've already shutdown one side of the field with Champ Bailey and it's not a farfetch assumption that bly will be able to do the same on the other side. The Detroit side of things looks like just as you said it was. The Lions needed to shore up their depth at runningback.

Joey Porter being released seems to be a cap situation on the surface, but I have a feeling Mike Tomlin sees Porter as becoming a distraction off-the-field. Porter was hard to control when Cowher was coaching the team. Tomlin comes in as the new guy and the last thing he needs is a headache in the making. I think alot of coaches and GMs in the league are really looking at the intangibles when it comes to their moves this offseason. If players are going to distract from their team's goal and become a cancer in the locker room they will most likely be one of the first to be cut or traded. Even the Niners, very shallow when it comes to their receiving corps decided to cut bait and release Antonio Bryant instead of having to deal with his outbursts and off-the-field problems.

Which brings me to how the Niners will now deal with the off-season. With Bryant now release and Arnaz Battle their only receiver who seems to make a difference, the Niners drafting needs has become a bit more complicated. Will they take the chance and trade to move up into the top 3 of the 1st round to grab Calvin Johnson who seems to be the real deal. He has great hands, good athleticism and a speedster. Some analyst have already begun comparing him to Randy Moss but without the attitude problems and baggage. If they go that way then they will need to be very aggressive in signing the top defensive free agents to shore up their defense.

It's one of the worst kept secret that the Niners are going to go at Adalius Thomas quite hard. With 42 million under the cap to work with they have the money to sign Thomas. They'll even have enough leftover to make a serious run at Nate Clements. If they can sign Thomas then it'll make trading up to snatch Calvin Johnson much easier to do.

Ice Dragons

3650446 Potch
194 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think the Lions are a lost cause no matter what they do. With Matt Millen in there, they'll never be anything. Not that they ever were. If only Barry Sanders were on a team that could have helped him. *sigh*

The Broncos are looking a lot better. As Tully said, its a huge move for them. I think the Broncos are putting a lot of stock in Mike Bell who looked pretty good last season. Also, I hear Ahman Green is in Denver on Free agency from the Green Bay Packers. If they sign up Green, thet will more than fill Tatum Bell's shoes. Even if they don't get Ahman Green, Tatum is better than Mike Bell but you gotta give something to get something and boy did they ever get something. Dre Bly and Champ Bailey will be one hell of a tandem. I'm looking forward to seeing those two working together out there.

While I think the Lions did get short sticked, Tatum Bell will hopefully have more impact on the front than um.. Harris? I don't even know who their running back is. The name Harris comes to mind off the top, but I have no honest clue. Oh, wait. Kevin Jones. I was never too high on him anyhow, but I don't think Tatum Bell will do THAt mch better. Maybe the dual running back thing thats caught craze could work between the two there. Who knows.

Tough news with Antonio Bryant Tully, I have no clue why they'd do that unless he was too expensive for what they got out of him, but I thought he was a solid receiver. If they go after Calvin Johnson, and get him, that will be a good step forward if Johnson is all he's hyped to be. I don't give many rookies credit until i see them perform on the field in an actual game, or even Pre-Season. The combine and College Ball aren't exactly great testing blocks. Right Kurt Warner?

My team, the Buffalo Bills have some work to do. Aside from nate Clements who will more than likely go to some other team, they're also losing London Fletcher and Mike Gandy. I really think Gandy will re-sign with Buffalo as he's not a top name Tackle, but he fits what Buffalo needs. London Fletcher though will most likely sign with the Redskins before the week's end which sucks because he's a damn good player. Buffalo still has Mario Haggan, Angelo Crowell and Takeo Spikes in the Linebacker positions, but Haggan and crowell aren't London Fletcher, even at London's age. And Takeo has been so injury prone its almost not worth having him. Sadly, because he's a really nice fellow.

The rumor mill is that Willis McGahee is on the trading block and that if a trade can be made soon for him, the Bills will re-sign Anthony "A-Train" Thomas back and he'd be our premier back. I think thats a huge mistake because McGahee is way better than Thomas and unless we get something amazing in return for McGahee (which we won't) we'll have yet another weakness.

I think the big thing for Buffalo right now is filling the hole that Clements is about to leave. We can resign Kiwaukee Thomas and we have Ashton Youboty who was a rookie last year. But wether any of them can fill the hole Clements leaves is a probably not.

I just checked the Bills site and apartently Buffalo is looking at a bunch of Offensive Lineman from free agency. Guard Derrick Dockery from Washington is in town as is Minnesota's Jason Whittle. Langston Walker, the Left Tackle from Oakland is also here in Buffalo looking to be signed. It looks like Buffalo wants to bulk its Offensive Line before the draft so we can be more flexible come draft day. Also, the new word is that Takeo Spikes is on the Trading Block (maybe my thoughts of his injury proneness has reached the front office?). If we can Trade Takeo for a younger prospect and a draft choice or something, I'd be fine with that.

What team needs a good Wide Receiver? The Colts cut Brendon Stokley. I think he'll be a hot prospect because there's not a lot of big name receivers on the Free Agency market. The only other halfway decent ones I can think of are Antonio Bryant and Ashley Lelie. And neither of them are as reliable as Stokley, in my opinion. This is only day 1 of the free agent maret and I'm stoked already.

By the way, Sierra, are you going to run another Fantasy League? I want in this time, for sure! I'm putting my hat in the ring now!

Fantasy Football (NFL) Sign Ups in Sports Forum!
Sierra Mikain

Blue Moon

19500 Potch
0 Soldiers
666 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah the fantasy league will definitely be on again this year, tho I have to give first shot at the people who were in it the previous year. I'm not sure who is still playing tho. The thread will be up and we'll find out soon enough. Maybe I'll open it now just to find out who's in....

The Lions major issue at RB is that Kevin Jones suffered a major injury that will sideline him for possibly the first 8 weeks of the season. The problem with Tatum Bell is that he's not good. He can't break tackles (which you need to do in the Lions offense) and he makes too many moves giving his body up and getting hurt quite often (which the Lions cannot afford). NFL.com said "Bell fills a glaring hole at running back" but honestly, he doesn't fill the hole, he kinda band-aids it.

Their backup RB is Calhoun who got injured in his debut season. Bryson is their third down man. Harris wasn't on the roster until 4 running backs went down with injury. The Lions have their issues with personnel, but they led the league in players on injured reserve. I don't think it was close either. Something like 22 players.

Dre Bly also isn't perfectly great when he's in the wrong system. He's always been better playing zone than man-to-man (Denver is mainly a m2m team) Most of his interceptions come from taking chances, which includes simply leaving his man anticipating the throw to someone else. Yes, he gets burned... a lot. The upside is that he will assuredly make plays and he and Bailey, barring injury, are the best 1-2 punch in the league.

Quote:

I have a feeling Mike Tomlin sees Porter as becoming a distraction off-the-field.

I don't think Porter is a problem to deal with as a coach at all. He's an intimidator on the field and gets in altercations with other players on other teams. He's not a cancer in the locker room and he doesn't have issues off the field. Porter and Cowher had a great relationship and the guy was one of the team leaders. I'm afraid I don't follow you.

... Stokely has been hurt 2 straight years Moon. He's not really reliable in that aspect. Not to mention, rating Indy wideouts and offensive line is like rating Denver running backs. I wouldn't be surprised to see him resign a 1 or 2 year contract with the Colts when all is said and done.

Legions of Zontar-Killers

817540 Potch
25 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Eh, my biggest problem with the Lions/Broncos trade is that runningbacks have such a short lifespan in the NFL, and good-but-not-great runningbacks practically grow on trees. Meanwhile, cornerback is one of the most important positions in football, and its difficult to find even serviceable corners these days. I think the Lions made a big mistake, and the Broncos made out once again, and in much the same way they did with the Washington/Broncos trade. The Lions could have done much better if they really needed to get rid of Bly, and gone after a runningback in free agency or the draft. There is no shortage of good-but-not-great backs in the NFL as I said, and this year is no different--Dominic Rhodes, Chris Brown, and Correll Buckhalter are all unrestricted free agents who are relatively young. On the older side of the spectrum, they could have gone for Ahman Green or Jamal Lewis. These are all players that could fill the role that Bell will fill at least as well, if not better. But, of course this is just the thing you'd expect from the Lion's front office and Matt Millen. When do we start taking bets on whether or not they'll take Calvin Johnson in the draft.

Just look at the Broncos, who according to Moon Knight are now bringing in Ahman Green for a workout. This is a perfect example of good roster management versus bad roster management. The Broncos dealt a player that can be replaced easily and at little expense for a player that cannot be replaced that easily without a 1st day draft pick or opening up the pocketbook in free agency.

Quote:
Tough news with Antonio Bryant Tully, I have no clue why they'd do that unless he was too expensive for what they got out of him, but I thought he was a solid receiver.

Antonio Bryant is a talented reciever who will never make it big unless he changes his attitude. His release had nothing to do with skill--it was more that Mike Nolan had decided he'd had enough--the same reasons he was released from the Browns prior, and traded by Dallas even before that.

I changed the number on my phone so you can't call me up at home, and you can't say those
things to me, that make me fall down on my knees.

Sierra Mikain

Blue Moon

19500 Potch
0 Soldiers
666 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

From what I understand, the next best offer they had for Bly was like a 3rd round pick. That is second hand, second hand information tho. Basically, I hear they were going to release him tomorrow if he wasn't traded. So honestly, while you guys are condemning the front office and Millen, I think their hands were kinda tied. More than anything, I was trying to address that NFL.com called it a good deal for the Lions.

817540 Potch
25 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, personally, I would have gone for the 3rd round pick over Tatum Bell. Though you're right, I don't really know the whole story, like if there was a roster bonus involved, and what the Lion's Salary Cap looks like.

After reading further on the trade, I've softened my opinion a bit. According to this article, the Lions didn't just get Tatum Bell--they also recieved George Foster, who started 45 games for the Broncos at right tackle, and a fifth round draft pick. In that light, and considering that Dre Bly was likely gone anyway, perhaps the trade wasn't as bad as I initially thought. Detroit certainly needs the help on the offensive line--although I have no idea how good this Foster guy is, and all I have to go on is the fact that he was a three year starter on a traditionally good offensive line.

Edit: Nate Clements just signed an 8 year, $80 million dollar contract with San Francisco.

I changed the number on my phone so you can't call me up at home, and you can't say those

Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Wow, it didn't take Mike Nolan and Scott McLoughan too long to start spending that cap room money. Now, it gives them better options come draft time. No need to look at drafting Leon Hall or any of the top defensive backs in the draft. If and when they can sign Adalius Thomas that would narrow down their choices even more. So far, the Niners and the Patriots are on Thomas' short-list of teams to sign with. Reports already saying the Pats know they can't match any offer the Niners make to Thomas and will instead try to sign him for much less with a promise that he has a better chance of winning a ring with New England. I like the Pats, but if the Niners give Thomas close to same $22 million guaranteed money they gave Clements then Thomas may just sign ring or no ring guarantee.

Michael Lewis is also in town to speak with the Niners. Even though he's not the same as he was a couple years ago, if the Niners can also sign him then they've clearly upgraded their defense. But for now I just want them to concentrate on Adalius Thomas and work on giving Frank Gore a new restructed contract with a raise to befit his top-7 or even top-5 running back in the league status.

EDIT: With Adalius Thomas deciding to go to the New England Patriots, the Niners reported to have moved on quickly to sign Eagles safety Michael Lewis. Numbers and details of the contract have not been announced. Rumor now has the Niners moving to talk to Joey Porter and Dewayne White as their fall back option to give their front seven some help.

Executors of Divine Providence

22038 Potch
0 Soldiers
5678 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think the Lions deal was a pretty decent one. I would not go so far as to call it a "good" trade, but Bly was a player that the Lions (unfortunately) were going to have to part with, given the situation. "Big Mouth" Bly had been a locker room cancer for the last couple years, starting out by blaming -all- the teams' problems on Joey Harrington, then deciding to say the the defense should be playing offense...

What a great guy. :roll:

It comes down to what Tullaryx was saying about how teams weren't just looking at talent, but looking at the intangibles. It's also CLEARLY the reason why a great player like Antonio Bryant has a hard time finding a job. He's an asshole.

All in all, the Broncos could've made a great move here, but time will tell. Bly is certainly one of the more talented corners in the league, and if he keeps his mouth and attitude in check, he and Champ Bailey will do an amazing job keeping Denver's playoff (and possible AFC Championship) hopes high. If he can't, he may face a situation similar to Antonio Bryant, once his contract is up.

As for the Lions, they got a mediocre back, which disappoints me, but I don't know about this George Foster guy. I'm sure Sierra knows whether this guy is good or not, and the 5th round pick...? Well... We'll see what we get for that. (Maybe Drew Stanton will still be available in Rd. 5. :P)

Moon, the Lions' problems at management don't just stem from Matt Millen. Of course, the reason the organization is viewed by many writers as "no-class," is Millen's fault, but he's done a decent job at bringing defensive talent here. No, the problems stemmed after the 1957 NFL Championship that the Lions won, when William Clay Ford bought the team. Only during the Wayne Fontes / Barry Sanders era, were the Lions a serious title contender, and since then and before then... Well, the same, old story. Bear in mind, we're talking ONE whole playoff victory under Ford's ownership, following the 1991 season.

So are the teams present problems all Millen's fault? Hell no, but he's not the guy to make the Lions a serious Super Bowl contending team. Marinelli could be a good coach, but he's had awful luck with injuries. The issue with the Lions can largely be blamed on William Clay Ford, who ought to start letting his son run the team. The old man's had 50 years, and has only brought this city of loyal fans ONE playoff victory. It's time he woke up and smelled the coffee...

After all, it's not like he still won't be making money off the team. :P

As for the Lions drafting Calvin Johnson... Let's face it. As much as all the nay-sayers will laugh their balls off at this move, the fact is. It's NOT a stupid idea. Despite the fact that the Lions HAVE drafted so many wide receivers, WR is still a problem for the Lions. Roy Williams doesn't suck, but he's inconsistent, and can't do it all himself. Mike Furrey isn't a bad WR, but he's not exactly the most talented guy. The Lions have made awful choices at drafting WR, mainly with Charles Rogers, and now it looks to be that way with Mike Williams. Johnson would be a good pick, I think. And hell, if the Lions had drafted properly, he'd be alongside another receiver named Johnson... But, he went to Houston. :P However, I hate to tell you all this, but I've heard that the Lions are more interested in signing Kevin Curtis... Who would be a significant improvement over Furrey. The Lions might want to look at Leon Hall (CB Mich.)

Happily Married to the Lovely Lady Chris Lightfellow! :D
Sierra Mikain

Blue Moon

19500 Potch
0 Soldiers
666 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The Bucs signed both Jeff Garcia and traded for Jake Plummer to compete with Chris Simms. I like both deals.. a lot. There's not really need to talk about the bucs though. Plummer has been quoted saying he'll retire if he gets traded to Tampa. But for a conditional pick next year, worth it I suppose. Garcia is a capable back-up, but let's not act like he's not the same quarterback that isn't great when he doesn't have a great offense that he understands.

Still, one of the worst signings so far is paying 80 million dollars to a cornerback. Yeah, it's great to be under the salary cap so much that you can blow a load like that on a physical corner having him under contract til he's 35 years old, like he'll make it that long.

Steinbach is also overpaid, now making more to play the line in cleveland than the absurd amount that Hutchinson is making in Minnesota. 49.5 million.

Jumping in early to grab the talent available just means you spend a lot more cash. It looks great right now for both teams, but they're really not getting any better long term IMO.

817540 Potch
25 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think we all knew that Nate Clements was going to get a blockbuster deal this offseason as the best cornerback available. I have heard though that the deal is really a 6 year deal for 7.5 million a year with a lot of money tacked on to the last two years--I can't find anything official though. Either way, the contract is ridiculous, and Clements will have a hard time living up to it.

Steinback in my opinion was a terrible move. I hear they'll be putting him at right tackle, but even still, a contract of that size is crazy for a player that's been a guard most of his career. It was crazy last year, and nothing has changed.

I've also been hearing that Dallas is seriously entertaining the thought of signing Leonard Davis--and I seriously hope that doesn't happen. He isn't that good at all, and the money he's asking for is way too much. Dallas should just resign Colombo and stop going after an overpriced, average player like Davis.

Noot

Faithers of the Defend

186551 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

My thoughts on Free Agency thus far:

-Teams are insane giving out the kind of contracts I've been seeing for the crappy talent that's out there this year. Overall, this is a poor year in Free Agency, yet most NFL teams are well below the salary cap and have no problems doling out huge sums of money to players who don't warrant it.

-Derrick Dockery, Chris Dielman, and Leonard Davis were paid ridiculous contracts for guards. What the frick? :?

-The Patriots made a huge free agent splash netting LB Adalius Thomas, and they're moving hard to get WR Wes Welker. Definitely an eye-opener.

-Dante Stallworth is not getting any love.

-The Texans signed Ahman Green, which I knew would happen if the Packers didn't get him signed by Friday. I knew he was going to be gone. He got a 4 year $23 million contract with $8 mil being paid in the first year. Good luck, Ahman. :(

-There have been more trades in this one weekend than I can remember for all of last year's free agency period. The Broncos alone were involved in three of them.

-Most of the teams have been quiet so far, letting the teams who choose to pay ridiculous contracts take the first shot. I think by weeks two and three, we'll see a lot more action than there was this weekend.

-Every year a team signs several big name free agents, and suddenly those teams become everyone's pre-season favorites, but it remains to be seen if players like Nate Clements and Adalius Thomas will live up those contracts or be the same caliber of player in a new uniform. I'm way more skeptical of the free agency process than I am of the NFL Draft, and I still think the way to replenish your team's roster should come primarily through the Draft.

Latest news:

-Cowboys sign OG Leonard Davis to a $49 million deal.

-Broncos will likely pursue RB's Willis McGahee (via trade) or Travis Henry now that Green has signed with Houston.

-49ers signed WR Ashley Lelie after dumping Antonio Bryant. I'm not sure their WR's are any better.

-The Lions are going after ex-Rams WR's Shaun McDonald and Kevin Curtis. If they sign them, Mike Williams will likely be shown the door.

-The "Randy Moss to Green Bay" rumors are swirling right now, and of course they're being denied by both organizations. But from what I've heard, Moss has agreed to restructure his contract in order to help the deal take place. The Packers are supposedly offering a 2nd round pick or a combination of QB Aaron Rodgers and a 3rd-4th round pick for Moss.

-The Jags signed WR Dennis Northcutt, which could eliminate them from the Randy Moss sweepstakes. The Patriots offer to Wes Welker could take them out of the picture as well. The Packers are the only players right now for the Raiders WR.

-Joey Porter is being courted by the Cowboys, Browns, and Bengals thus far.

It's hard to bargle naudle zauss with all these marbles in my mouth.
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'd be the first to admit that the Niners probably overpaid Clements to have them sign with them. But I am fine with it if he continues to shutdown one side of the field each and every game he wears that Red and Gold. Really, after Clements there's no FA corner that could do the same job even if for cheap. From reports coming out Adalius Thomas wouldn't have signed with the Niners due to geography. It was once Nolan felt that Thomas wasn't going to sign with the Niners that he took that money and made sure to lock up the second sure-fire defensive FA in the pool. Cleveland was very close to signing Clements but finally backed off once the Niners guaranteed 22million of the 80. Even the 8year/80 million contract is a bit misleading. At best the contract is 6years/42-45million. That is still a big chunk of change but not the mortgaging the future deal some have begun to call it.

I'm wary of the Lelie signing if not just for the fact that Lelie has the skills but not the toughness one wants in a premiere receiver. I see him being more of a deep-threat which he is with the speed he still has. With the signing of Nate Clements, Michael Lewis, and Aubrayo Franklin (I see him as having more of an immediate impact on the D since it'll finally give Nolan his true NT for his 3-4) and their interest in both Joey Porter (as another big signing) or Donnie Spragan (cheaper option) the Niners can now see about really using their 11th pick to draft one of the receivers not named Calvin Johnson.

Ted Ginn, Jr. seems the sexy pick over Dwayne Jarret, but if the Niners can trade down a bit I think they'd have a better fit with Robert Meacham from Tennessee. His combine numbers pretty comparable to Calvin Johnson's and he's in the Terrell Owens body-type mold. If they want to trade even deeper into the 1st round they can see if Anthony Gonzales from Ohio State will most likely be available deep in the 1st round or early second round. Gonzales seems to be flying under the radar but I like his toughness with post and slant routes and he has very good hands. He's not the speedsters as some of the other receivers coming out but if one wanted a taller, bigger version of Wayne Chrebet well Gonzales seems to fit that mold.

Ice Dragons

3650446 Potch
194 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, the Broncos have made another move. They signed Travis Henry to a Five Year deal. Exact numbers aren't released to my knowledge, but he's going to be getting like $12 million in bonuses.

That fills the Tatum Bell hole better than Tatum had it filled, I feel. The Broncos offensive line is better than the lines Henry has seen in both Buffalo and Tennessee. I really hope Travis can flourish there and bring the Broncos back to dominance.

Jake Plummer annouced on his Foundation's website that he is in fact hanging up his cleats. This makes the starting job in Tampa Bay a 2 man race and it also means Tampa gets to keep their draft pick and use it towards something they need more than a washed up QB.

I really do not think Jake is done though. He's probably going to take a year off and then next year go to some team's training camp and get picked up there. I think its not that bad of a move because if you think about it, he's not going to win the Buccaneers job over someone like Chris Simms or even Jeff Garcia who proved last year he's still got the stuff if you give him a O Line of protection. Plummer failed in Denver where they have sufficient line, so I think his best bet is t take time off and come back next year and do the Vinny Testaverde thing for a few years and mentor younger kids. He'll never be a starter in the NFL again, unless some teams have a huge bust in their QB slot (Cleveland if they don't grab Brady Quinn?). Maybe he'll work for the NFL network like a lot of other fresh retirees do. Right Marshall Faulk?

Fred Smoot is back with the Redskins after being in Minnesota for 2 years. I like seeing players go back to the teams they did well with. Its that same warm feeling I got when the Bills got Peerless Price back last year. Its good to have him back where he belongs. Smoot rejoins Shawn Springs in the Redskins Secondary, a once formidable defensive 1-2 punch. Back in 2004 Springs and Smoot were together and the Redskins secondary defense was pretty good. Hopefully taking Smoot back will put that fire back into the lacidasical Skins Defense.

Tull, I don't know if Ashley Lelie will do any better for the team than Antonio Bryant did. From what I hear of him, he's a hassle in the locker room like Bryant supposedly was. The f9ers aren't looking too bad though. With Lelie they have a decent longball threat receier, now all they need is a reliable short to midfield receiver like Stokley is, but I doubt they'll pick up ANOTHER free agent this offseason, you're most likely correct with your draft analysis. I'd suggest trading down to the mid to lower part of the draft and pick up a guy like Meacham. A lot of teams aren't gunning for Wide Receivers this off season (mainly why Stokely, Stallworth and Bryant haven't been scooped up yet) so maybe they can trade their 11th overall for a decent Linebacker and get into the mid to lower area of the first round and get a somewhat useful receiver to compliment Lelie.

Also, I think picking up a Defensive End to eventually replace Bryant Young might not be a bad idea. He's going into his 13th or 14 year now, isn't he? I rememebr he was amazing back in the early 2000s, and the fact he's still on the team and doing well is great, but he's gotta be getting worn down. Also, Larry Allen is getting up there too, he might need to be replaced after this coming season. Guards don't usually last as long as he has. He's going to be a Hall of Famer, but he's getting up there in years. Maybe scooping up a top Guard with that 11th pick might be wise too.

Aside from that I think your 49ers are as set as they're going to get. Hopefully they have a flourishing draft and can get into the Playoffs next year. Anything can happen given how weak the NFC West is right now. Seattle will still be the team to beat, that is unless Arizona actually lives upto its potential. Edgerrin, Boldin, Leinart, Fitzgerald. Why that offense can't win is beyond me. If any team should be bolstering its offensive line this offseason, its the Cardinals. Not the Bills, we had a decent offensive line last year. The Cardinals have been thus far quiet in this offseason, the only moves they made were resigning a few guys from their Free Agency list. Marcel Shipp, Edge's back-up and Hank Milligan, a DB who I've never really heard of. If I were in that division, I'd be doing exactly what Nolan is. That division, and league for that matter, is completely up for grabs. New Orleans proved that a few off season moves and decent draft picks can completely change a team. San Francisco is hopefully on their way to doing just that.

Wayne Chrebet, haha. He's the only Jet in recent memory I ever actually liked. Probably because he was the most reliable guy the team had for so long. And because I always seemed to get him in my Madden games and he was my teams perpetually great 2nd slot receiver. Him or Tony Gonzales.

Speaking of which, thats going to be confusing having 2 Tony Gonzales's in the league, bot being offensive receivers. Yes, the Chiefs is a Tight End and the Rookie is a wideout, but still it will be quite confusing. I think its already been decided the new one will be called Anthony and not Tony. Still, its confusing.

Back to the Travis Henry thing, it just popped in my head. What is Tennessee going to do? They have LenDale White who was ok at USC and Chris Brown, but are either of them reliable enough backs to help Vince Young start out 2007-08 in the same fashion he ended 2006-07? I don't know but I think they should give LenDale a shot at least, and maybe pick up a second back via Free Agency or Draft and do a dual back system. LenDale is hard to guage because he was in the same college as Reggie Bush was, so he never saw as much time as Reggie did, but he shows a lot of promise. Wouldn't it be the humorous thing for the Titans to go out and grab long time Raven Jamal Lewis one season after Ravens took longtime Titan Steve McNair? Boy would that excite the rivalry!

But as of right now, Jamal isn't even looking at other teams as he's awaiting Baltimore to re-sign him. Or at least thats what the wire says he's doing.

Fantasy Football (NFL) Sign Ups in Sports Forum!
Sierra Mikain

Blue Moon

19500 Potch
0 Soldiers
666 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Most teams aren't looking to nail big name free agent wide receivers (the BIGGER names, not big names since the best of them is barely a #1 on a bad team) because there are 3 potential #1 WRs in the draft. Johnson, Jarrett, and Meacham. Most likely, only Johnson will go in the top ten of the first round and potentially the other 2 could drop from the top 20. Many have Ginn projected higher than both of them, but it's a mistake to put athleticism over technique.

I hear the Packers are discussing a trade with the Lions for Tatum Bell. *whistles*

The only good signing the Niners made was Clements and they over paid him. Don't get your hopes up yet.

I also don't think Seattle is the team to beat in the west. I don't think you should even mention Arizona (lost their ONLY respectable O-lineman... he's in Dallas now.) when talking about who to beat either. It's St. Louis.

Before we move on.... I'd like to take a moment and rag on Moon again.

Before last season, Moon Knight wrote:
Oakland Raiders - Sorry but they'll sink in their division. The Chielfs and the Broncos are way better all around. But luckily they won't be as bad as the Chargers.

I wrote:
In fact, I don't just think they'll beat the Raiders in that division, but the Chiefs, oh... and the Broncos. The Chargers not only have that division's best defense, by far, but also the division's best running game

And maybe this year we can play with the Rams. They won their last 3 games in Linehan's first year. Not to mention, did anyone else feel like Steven Jackson is becoming a serious beast?

Let's not make predictions yet, cuz there's a lot of time before the season really gets moving... ie free agency, drafts, trades... but I am really curious at this point if anyone thinks there will be any huge movers this year standings wise.

I don't think anyone will be moving up much, but I can see quite a few moving down ...like Pittsburgh.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Sports All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: