Suikoden Unique and Informational Kibbutz Objective Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Would you still like Suikoden if the series became popular?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Baz Von Steinitz

The Chaos Order

120743 Potch
1000 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yvl wrote:
But would you really want to have yourself associated with the new fans? Some of the fanbases can get really bad, such as Halo or FF. I'm talking about a worst case scenario with the fanbase.

That depends on the kind of "Fans" who came, If they are friendly and understand rules, of course I want to associate with them, but if they are rebels (and with this I mean that are aggressive in the way of express and do not follow the rules of course), well... I think no one will want to be friendly with them.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Really, generalizing so-called new fans makes the older fans sound quite snobbish and elitist. Now those are the worst type of fans since they're not open to criticism and much more quick to judge and belittle the newer fans to a game series. If any, Suikoden needs as much fan support from the old diehards to the newest fan if its to continue another 10 years.

Whatever newer fans the series gets it will have its idiots, malcontents, retards and bullies. But it will also bring in fans who are courteous and who dont annoy people. In the end, I'd rather the series get more fans than lose or stay with a diehard few who end up being too critical of the series that no matter how good the later games turn out to be they will find something to bitch, moan and nitpick about it instead of just enjoying it.

The Chaos Order

120743 Potch
1000 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Tullaryx wrote:

Whatever newer fans the series gets it will have its idiots, malcontents, retards and bullies. But it will also bring in fans who are courteous and who dont annoy people. In the end, I'd rather the series get more fans than lose or stay with a diehard few who end up being too critical of the series that no matter how good the later games turn out to be they will find something to bitch, moan and nitpick about it instead of just enjoying it.

I agree with you in that Tullaryx, sometime us the Older fans tends to critize so much the newer games that we don't enjoy them, that is one thing I had tried to change on me.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It just means more volumes of good and bad fans for Suikoden communities everywhere. So I suppose if you wouldn't mind accepting the good members than you'll have to make do with the annoying ones that arise from such a position.

Plus, Suikoden isn't that unknown, it's not the most popular franchise on the planet, but it does have credibility.
Luceit

Defender of Highland

371188 Potch
2170 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'd say that I can barely, just barely tolerate the fans that go 'OMG 'insert name here' is so prudy!1111' or the ones who keep on imagining people in yaoi/yuri relatioships even if in no way is it alluded, or they use two completely unrelated people.

Suffices to say, I didn't play Suikoden to meet up with a squealing fanbase. I prefer some remotely intelligent discussion on the game. Too many fans is not always a good thing after all.

Seekers of Hawke's Hot Stuff

1008758 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

or the ones who keep on imagining people in yaoi/yuri relatioships even if in no way is it alluded

This is always a matter of opinion and debate. Suikoden is known for having zero hentai fans and a billion yaoi fans. That's part of Suikoden's fanbase. I'm a proud Suikoden yaoi fan.

The "no way is it alluded" part is where it gets tricky. Personally, I think Camus and Miklotov are gay. In all seriousness. But when it comes to yaoi, that only half matters to me; in the end, I want to see hot naked guys rubbing against each other, and that's what I'll go for. I don't care if Flik and Solon Jhee have no reason to make out. Doesn't matter. They're hot, they're naked, and I like buttsecks. I'm a very simple man.

And I agree about the previous point: The largest threat to any fanbase is a bunch of elitist old members. It makes the entire community feel unwlecoming. World of Warcraft probably being the worst; the way the older members treat newbs is pretty messed up.

Thankfully, Suikoden fans have been very open and welcoming.

^Actual quote!
Yvl

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

Personally, I think Camus and Miklotov are gay

No, that couldn't be because... uh... wait... HOLY CRAP THEY ARE!

Quote:

And I agree about the previous point: The largest threat to any fanbase is a bunch of elitist old members. It makes the entire community feel unwlecoming. World of Warcraft probably being the worst; the way the older members treat newbs is pretty messed up.

I personally hate Halo elitists more. However, unless Suikoden becomes competitive, I doubt that there'd be too many elitists in the fanbase. Suikoden inspires discussion and speculation, not competition.

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The reason why the fanbase for a game like Halo can be so annoying and obnoxious is pretty much due to the type of game it is. You can substitute Counter-Strike or any popular first-person shooter game and I guarantee its most vocal fans are also its most obnoxious. It's the competitive nature of the games themselves that lends to this. RPG fans have a tendency not to be as annoying or bad. There's no need to compete between people in an rpg unless its an MMO and even then the bad apples are the so-called powergamers who are not very good in a social environment to begin with.

13th Dragon brigade

493466 Potch
5000 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: Would you still like Suikoden if the series became popul Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yvl wrote:
As the title said. Be honest with yourself, if Suikoden became the new FF, would you still like it? Or would this be a dream come true?

I've always liked what I've liked despite what the fans say. I still like DragonballZ, despite the kids and the teens who hate anything Akira draws. I enjoy playing FF7, and still love the game.
As long as the game remains the same formula, then I won't change my mind about it. If I like it, I like it. If I don't, I don't.
I'll be annoyed with some fans sure, but I'll still like the game even if it got more popular FF7.

Lonelion's Naval Fleet.

4727 Potch
106 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Of course i would,this series deserves to become popular with the gaming community.

http://www.myspace.com/lonelion7769
http://www.duefiumi.com
http://z6.invisionfree.com/suikocross
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Jiang Hu Warrior

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
2 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sophita wrote:
I wouldn't mind. It would be nice in many ways: the series would be guarenteed to come over to the English speaking regions of the world, even the spin-offs like Suikogaiden and Suikoden Card Stories. There would be an influx of new blood into the community. There would be a higher budget, so hopefully they'd have more time to craft things and fix things like speeding up the load times. Heck, they might even reprint Suikoden I and II, which would be great for everyone who'd like to play them. (And bad pretty much hard only for the people who are selling copies on E-bay now for $200 a pop. :*laugh*: )

I think its not hard to find in England, Amazon Uk has both the first and second with a price around 60 to 80 Quid. My brother's in England so I can ask him to find them for me some day however i don't how to save PSX games on my PS2.
Rune of Corruption

Ficky Ficky Frog Eyed Frustrated Fools

2319 Potch
0 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Tullaryx wrote:
Really, generalizing so-called new fans makes the older fans sound quite snobbish and elitist. Now those are the worst type of fans since they're not open to criticism and much more quick to judge and belittle the newer fans to a game series. If any, Suikoden needs as much fan support from the old diehards to the newest fan if its to continue another 10 years.

I agree with Tullaryx. Both sets of fans can be annoying, but for series to survive and grow fans are needed. If the series became popular it would be good in my opinion.
Hiku

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

No, because I am shallow and only care about games as long as I'm original, and abandone them when they become popular and liked by others, like any "true" fan would do.

Seriously, you're not a true fan of any series if what other people think about it influences you so much that you'd no longer be a fan of the series.
Some people are like that though. Only "like" something when they're among the first, just because it makes them feel special. I remember some people commenting on how they didn't want to try Shadow Hearts 2 now that "everyone" is playing it, and that they're the "true fans" who liked it even before it became popular. True that there is a point in supporting a series before it becomes popular, but there's nothing "true fan" about not liking a series anymore for such shallow purposes.

Music | Kingdom Hearts OC ReMix - Above the Rising Falls
Game | Suikoden V
Anime | Death Note
Next: ????
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I would be completely fine about it, more activity and fun for all!
jjrrs

481481 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

What would be a good estimation of the suikoden fan base here in the US and overall outside of japan anyways?

I keep thinking the suikoden series is not that popular here in the US but than again what is other than FF? don't think anyone really care that much about the other long running non-square series here since breath of fire, wild arms, and tales of whatever don't have much larger following these days; all the squareenix series sell much better than most rpgs here but they take a very long time to make and many are rather new or have very few sequels so far, it's not like they have enough to get many true fans (games like kingdom hearts can suck it) and surely suikoden games sales better than almost all atlus series. So other than the fact suikoden games are in limited supply, are there any official numbers or facts to indicate the fan base is really that small?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: