Suikoden Unique and Illusional Karma Ontic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Would you still like Suikoden if the series became popular?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Admiral Ackbar

Seekers of Hawke's Hot Stuff

1008758 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Honestly? No. Not as it stands now, because it seems like we're stuck with the people that made Suikoden 4 and 5.

Suikoden 5 isn't a bad game but it isn't a good game either (IMO). Suikoden 4 is pretty much the most disappointing video game I've played, ever, and it's almost universally disliked/hated among the fanbase. But it seems like Kawano (who wrote/directed/produced Suikoden 4) is looking for people to make another Suikoden, and if she's in charge of another Suikoden, there's no reason we should expect anything other than a repeat of Suikoden 4. And there was enough positive reaction to Suikoden 5 that the people behind it are likely staying on to make more Suikodens as well. (Though to be honest, they could have followed Suikoden 4 up with anything, and it would have gotten a positive reaction).

So far, it seems like these people will be making the next Suikodens.

And if the series becomes popular because of the people behind Suikoden 4 and 5, it'll pretty much ruin it for me. It will mean that those people will stay with the series, continuing to make Suikodens. And I wouldn't be able to play them, because I haven't truly enjoyed a Suikoden since Suikoden 3. The recent Suikodens have been lacking (again, IMO), and I need a good story with interesting characters, and none of the recent games have given me this.

You said to be honest...and this is my honest opinion. Disagree all you want, but that's how I feel, and my feelings won't change. I have no high hopes for the future of the series, but if it becomes popular through Kawano's work I may just burn all my old Suikodens and hire a hypnotist to help remove all memory of the series from my mind.

^Actual quote!
Yvl

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I was sure it was the guy who did Suikoden V that was working on VI.

Royal Yaoi Fanpeep Brigade

5500 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

:roll: *pops in this topic*

I would still like Suikoden even if it became popular! As long as it didn't try to be "cool" as in "recent cool" as in "hot boys in leather pants" cool. I have nothing against "cool", but honestly, achieving that status based on trends isn't exactly... good in the long run. I mean, for example, I thought the Final Fantasy X designs were awesome! So innovative! Tidus' clothes were weird but SO in... sort of. Fast forward to five years later and I wince every time I see Tidus' and Auron's and Lulu's clothes... And then there's Lenne who was modeled off a famous pop singer (read; BoA)...

I mean. Popularity doesn't necessarily mean the end of a series. It's when its creator decides to milk it and stretch it so much... Just. Overexposure. Over. Over. Overexposure. Often times, this leads to games with poor quality... and I don't think I need to cite a certain popular series again for this...

Though, thinking about Suikoden... I have to wonder just how it would be milked... :? Oh wait, anything is possible!

And...

The Coot wrote:

(Though to be honest, they could have followed Suikoden 4 up with anything, and it would have gotten a positive reaction).

I giggle at this comment. So awesome. So sadly true too... Though, Suikoden IV had its merits (and glaring faults) at least... I hope they LEARNED from it. :|
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, judging by Suikoden V, they did, lets not downplay the progress Suikoden V has made.
FabledHero

17817 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I too wasn't too elated with Suikoden IV.

To be honest though, looking back on it thogh, I believe it's because I had such high expectations because 1 and 2 were the best games ever, and 3 was good. But, after playing Suikoden Tactics and Suikoden IV again, I had fun.

I mean, Suikoden has such good qualities, the whole 108 stars thing, the type of story involving a realistic warring of countries against one anohter, it's just a really good recipe for success. I just hope they never stop making Suikoden games.
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I would still like the series if it became popular. As long as they continue to make the series as good as it can be then why should a rise in popularity hurt its overall quality. The Final Fantasy series' quality wasn't hurt by its popularity but more of the loss of creative talent. Usually this loss wouldn't have too much of a long-lasting impact but those who came after the crew which Sakaguchi led never rose to the high-standards set before them.

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'd still love the series, even if it did get popular, as it is a great series, I didn't really mind IV that much, I have played worse games :P I haven't finished V yet, so I'll reserve judgement til then, but as Puu said, as long as they don't overexpose it, it should be fine :)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Eden

Private Godwin Army

563383 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Although popularity is good in general, it would take away some of the elite thinking I experience when people talk about Final Fantasy or Breath of Fire, but haven't heard about the greatest series of RPG's ;) Still it would be cool if at least the series would be prominent between my friends. I will love the series even when those strange people who never liked a game I appreciated would start admiring Suikoden (whatever episode).

The Fool
Milan Fiori

Vanguard Elite

715991 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

If the series gets really popular, then we'll get a whole new wave of idiots to ban! And everybody knows how much fun it is to ban stupid people!

On the serious note. Quality over Quantity. As long as they follow that rule first, I don't care either way.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Puu

Royal Yaoi Fanpeep Brigade

5500 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Milan Fiori wrote:
If the series gets really popular, then we'll get a whole new wave of idiots to ban! And everybody knows how much fun it is to ban stupid people!

On the serious note. Quality over Quantity. As long as they follow that rule first, I don't care either way.

Well. As long as they don't start chugging out a lot of side games per installment as an excuse to glorify an effeminate manboy... One wonders what Dirge of Cerberus does to add to the story of Final Fantasy VII...
Milan Fiori

Vanguard Elite

715991 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Considering the amount of quality side installments they could do...

I'd love to see a Gaiden or something similar covering the Sucession War, Higheast Rebellion, and a few of the other mentioned but never seen wars. Heck, you could turn all the never seen wars, into one War System game. With each chapter beings a different war, and having like three or four battles per chapter.

Sucession War, Higheast Rebellion, Tinto/Grassland War, Toran/Jowston War, Highland/Jowston War (Genkaku and Hans war), The fall of Arnonia, The rise of Scarlet Moon, First Firebringer, Kooluk/Toran battles... This list goes on and on. Using a more refined version of Suikoden V's war system, with some extended story scenes explaining the war. I'd definitely buy that game.

You could also do like a Suikoden Chronicle game. Where it's more just a collection of scenes and stuff we're heard about but not seen in the games. The kidnapping of Tir as a child and the Zexen Ball where Lilly and Chris got into a giant food fight. Another game I'd buy just because it gives more depth to the series.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Baz Von Steinitz

The Chaos Order

120743 Potch
1000 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well to be honest I do not care if Suikoden is or Isn't popular, what I care is that the game continues with it's current development ( I mean with the same style of Suikoden V).

On a second thought we must care that the game become popular, this due the fact that if Konami see that is not profitable, then it may come with the same fate as Xenosaga (which had a good - excellent story but it's less acceptance well we all know how it ends).

Anyway as Milan said I wish to see a Gaiden with that or something different something like a big game with mini-stories that help you to understand those parts of the story.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Yvl

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

But would you really want to have yourself associated with the new fans? Some of the fanbases can get really bad, such as Halo or FF. I'm talking about a worst case scenario with the fanbase.

Crescent Moon Gunners

112245 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'd still stick with Suikoden, unless it became a title that just spawned out game after game to bring in money. The series needs to keep the charm, and if it loses it in favor of seventeen games a year for cash-ins, I doubt I could look at the title again.

Puu wrote:
Well. As long as they don't start chugging out a lot of side games per installment as an excuse to glorify an effeminate manboy...

They already have Suikogaiden in Japan, staring Nash Latkje :) .. Aaand this might be the time for me to run away, heheheh.

And don't you point out that he's as my avatar at the moment, that just makes my comment up there seem worthless, pff.
Inko

Nikostratos

629196 Potch
5000 Soldiers
465 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I could care less if it becomes popular, as long as they still make a good game.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: