Suikoden Ugly and Irrational Karma Old Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Ouch, Lockheed
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yohn

Confused Chaquita Banana Minions

464538 Potch
425 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:16 am    Post subject: Ouch, Lockheed Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Don't know if anybody'd seen this yet but: http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=6225

The TL;DR for the lazy: International Date line defeats F-22 Raptor.

"And as the lion slaughters man, I am the wolf and you're the lamb." ~Blind Guardian
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Tonberry

The Tonberry Eggsperience

1819401 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

That's actually somewhat amusing. I wouldn't say that if someone had been harmed, but since no one was, I guess it's fine to find that funny. The world's most advanced fighter is defeated by the International Date Line. That's golden. :P
Yohn

464538 Potch
425 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Tonberry wrote:
That's actually somewhat amusing. I wouldn't say that if someone had been harmed, but since no one was, I guess it's fine to find that funny. The world's most advanced fighter is defeated by the International Date Line. That's golden. :P

Guess it goes to show you that the little things in life are probably not something that should be overlooked.... especially when your clock decides it's going loopy trying to adjust itself, give up, and take everything down with it.

"And as the lion slaughters man, I am the wolf and you're the lamb." ~Blind Guardian
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Milan Fiori

Vanguard Elite

715991 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It's beyond amusing. 750 million dollars almost down the drain, from a simple computer error. Just goes to show how fragile things are.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Inko

Nikostratos

629196 Potch
5000 Soldiers
465 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Wow, people really need to check up on there coding especially when something so small and simplistic as this messes around with the aircraft.
Yvl

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I KNEW IT! Y2K WAS JUST BIDING ITS TIME, AND HAS STRUCK US WHEN WE EXPECTED IT LEAST!

*Runs into the pillow fort bunker*

imaginary soldiers

935122 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Who would ever thought tankers would be the ones saving attack aircraft.
Lord Vader

Lord's Minions

4417 Potch
721 Soldiers
20000 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I too find that pretty amusing. Luckily no one was lost because of the glitch. Its funny though how something as simple as the time change around the world would make the computer systems in an F-22 crash.

General of the Godwin Army
United States Navy ATF-HT
Goldy

Kooluk Companions

543627 Potch
467 Soldiers
4141829 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Wow......what a disaster that could have been!

An this the same fighter that the US are trying to sell to European Countries but would not supply the software for maintenance.......
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It's not the same fighter. The F/A-22 Raptor has an export sales ban put on it by Congress and the Pentagon has been hesistant to even try to get the ban lifted for certain long-time allies. This is due to the advance technologies used to set-up its avionics and stealth capabilities. Japan may one day be able to get a watered-down version, but at the moment it is only to be sold to the U.S. Air Force.

The plane you are thinking about would be Lockheed's F-35 Lightning II which is a cheaper and more multi-purpose advance strike fighter. It's been sold to many of the U.S. long-time allies. The U.S. and Britain will have full versions while other nations in NATO who have pledged to order the plane will get a watered-down version and no transfer of technology to allow them to make replacement parts. It is this little tidbit which has made certain nations thinking of ordering the F-35 to think second thoughts.

464538 Potch
425 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Tullaryx wrote:
The plane you are thinking about would be Lockheed's F-35 Lightning II which is a cheaper and more multi-purpose advance strike fighter. It's been sold to many of the U.S. long-time allies. The U.S. and Britain will have full versions while other nations in NATO who have pledged to order the plane will get a watered-down version and no transfer of technology to allow them to make replacement parts. It is this little tidbit which has made certain nations thinking of ordering the F-35 to think second thoughts.

If they are refusing to send the technological bits, though, then maybe the coding done by the parties who wish to purchase the plans for the other Lockheed fighters would be sufficient enough for them; I doubt the on-board computers would be the same.

Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yohn wrote:
If they are refusing to send the technological bits, though, then maybe the coding done by the parties who wish to purchase the plans for the other Lockheed fighters would be sufficient enough for them; I doubt the on-board computers would be the same.

No, everything would be the same. The US government doesn't want the manufacturing process needed to make replacement parts to be part of the deal. By letting other countries who purchase those in addition to the plane would mean they can build their own parts without having to go the US or Lockheed to purchase them. That sounds good and all, but it also means the US and Lockheed cannot control who in that country gets access to those manufacturing process. Someone on the other side could take that and sell it to a competing company like Dassault of France or even China.

Only reason why the UK has access to those banned items to re-manufacture parts is due to UK's involvement in developing the aircraft.

464538 Potch
425 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Tullaryx wrote:
No, everything would be the same. The US government doesn't want the manufacturing process needed to make replacement parts to be part of the deal. By letting other countries who purchase those in addition to the plane would mean they can build their own parts without having to go the US or Lockheed to purchase them. That sounds good and all, but it also means the US and Lockheed cannot control who in that country gets access to those manufacturing process. Someone on the other side could take that and sell it to a competing company like Dassault of France or even China.

Only reason why the UK has access to those banned items to re-manufacture parts is due to UK's involvement in developing the aircraft.

Aah! I see, now.

As far as the manufacturing process and competing companies goes, I guess it's hard to think of it on a more business-oriented level than on a political one (as this being a fighter, the whole war thing and plans thing pops up). I guess when it comes down to it business controls the flow of war?

Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

You misunderstand. The government doesn't want foreign powers, even allies, to have access to top-secret technologies they weren't part of in helping to develop. There is also the business side of it but mainly its the US government making sure no one --- allies and enemies --- ever pass up the US in terms of military advance technology.

464538 Potch
425 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Tullaryx wrote:
You misunderstand. The government doesn't want foreign powers, even allies, to have access to top-secret technologies they weren't part of in helping to develop. There is also the business side of it but mainly its the US government making sure no one --- allies and enemies --- ever pass up the US in terms of military advance technology.

No, I understand completely. I'm just making a connection to business and politics, 's all.

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: