Suikoden United and Illusional Keystone Ontic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Mass Effect
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Himuro

La Morte

844834 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

My theory was right. This world is so huge that all the quests are thoroughly spread out.

Holy crap, this place has so many damn quests. The first world (er..second?) it's so much like Taris. You can spend so much time doing crap here.
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

How's the dialogue tree working so far? I read from reviews that the choices given is not what's spoken by your character but a completely new piece of dialogue that matches the tone of your choices. I know in past BioWare rpgs the choices you pick in the dialogue tree is what's spoken by your character.

La Morte

844834 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It's the same as always, nothing special. The presentation is perhaps the best I've seen in a cinematic rpg though. It's so natural.

Yeah, the choice on the tree isn't what your character says. Sometimes it surprises me. One time there was a choice for *sigh* and I chose that. She (my character) said,"I should just kill both of you." and I didn't want to say that lol

My biggest issue right now is that you can't talk to your party members directly like in past Bioware games. At least, not yet.

I love how they brought back the party member one liners from their older games. :lol "Smell that? Fresh blood mixed with stale booze."
jjrrs

481481 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

how exactly are the weapons going to be handled in this game? could I have my character as a melee weapons user instead of a gun fighter?

I'm sure this question can be answered now, and if so are there any cool melee weapons to use? (I'm keep thinking this will be like KOTOR but I'm sure nothing is going to be as cool as a light saber...)

Quote:

the story is really good so far.

is it obviously better than most american RPGs? It may be a knee jerk reaction of mine but I just always feel non japanese rpgs (mostly american action rpgs) focus too much on the gameplay and have boring stories. The best american rpg in my mind is the first KOTOR which had a good story, but I highly doubt I'd even enjoy it as much without it's star wars setting, and other than KOTOR I can't even think of an american rpg with it's storyline being the most memorable aspect...

There are just way too many good games that need to be played right now, first and foremost I have to squeeze in as much drums time on rock band as I can while I have the house to myself this week with it being so loud, if I still have the money by this Friday I hope to get either this or assassin's creed on sale somewhere.
Himuro

La Morte

844834 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
I'm sure this question can be answered now, and if so are there any cool melee weapons to use? (I'm keep thinking this will be like KOTOR but I'm sure nothing is going to be as cool as a light saber...)

No, but if an enemy is right next to you, you can hit them with your gun.

Quote:
is it obviously better than most american RPGs? It may be a knee jerk reaction of mine but I just always feel non japanese rpgs (mostly american action rpgs) focus too much on the gameplay and have boring stories. The best american rpg in my mind is the first KOTOR which had a good story, but I highly doubt I'd even enjoy it as much without it's star wars setting, and other than KOTOR I can't even think of an american rpg with it's storyline being the most memorable aspect...

There are just way too many good games that need to be played right now, first and foremost I have to squeeze in as much drums time on rock band as I can while I have the house to myself this week with it being so loud, if I still have the money by this Friday I hope to get either this or assassin's creed on sale somewhere.

it's always the opposite for me. wrpgs have more emphasis on story but they manage to intertwine gameplay with story, something japanese rpgs just don't know how to do.

I love the story.

Anyways, this game can be TOUGH. It's really surprising. The battle system definitely has a learning curve. Suffice it to say, the game is extremely deep.

Damn there's so many great games this year. Mass Effect, Assassin's Creed, Blue Dragon, Persona 3, Bioshock, Virtua Fighter 5...
glen

Drunking soldiers are us!!

6390 Potch
428 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Man this game has frozen up on me two times all ready man. Had to restart the game both times because i saved just before it froze up and it will not load it self up from there because of it man that sucks got to sart all over again from the start.

Just as soon as the game was getting real good to Damn. Sucks tobe me man.
Parallax

Fighting 181st

1109279 Potch
250 Soldiers
3275 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Just so you know, you can talk to your party members, at length, as soon as you get your ship. Then, it's a lot like Bioware's KOTOR offerings; in-depth dialogs can be undertaken aboard the ship with any of your party members.

He's a victim - not a perp - and I'm choosing to let him go.
glen

6390 Potch
428 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I found that out there to there Paralax. You get points for it to in prove your players in your party and in the group thats not fighting with you at the time you do put them in to fight with you. Just got my ship right now but i am not leaving yet so i can finish all the little storys first on the main ship base that give you points to add to your players. Right now trying to find the last of the keepers got 20 of the 21 of them but i can not find the last one DAMN IT then on to the next little story there man.
Ley

Username

441125 Potch
0 Soldiers
550446 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Has anyone noticed that at times the voice actor of a NPC appears to change, then revert back to the original voice actor?
Leb

Pizza Toppings

497133 Potch
936 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

They record dialogue loops with various voice actors for each race. If they decide to include something from one loop into another, you'll occasionally be able to hear the difference.

Otherwise, it's all in your head.

"...Shepard."
Himuro

La Morte

844834 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Parallax wrote:
Just so you know, you can talk to your party members, at length, as soon as you get your ship. Then, it's a lot like Bioware's KOTOR offerings; in-depth dialogs can be undertaken aboard the ship with any of your party members.

Yeah right. They still dumbed down conversations. The npcs say the same thing the entire game. Bioware games aren't really known to do that.
jjrrs

481481 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

Has anyone noticed that at times the voice actor of a NPC appears to change, then revert back to the original voice actor?

really? I just know that there are characters that had obvious voices of two actors right off the bat, the joker guy is seth green and captain anderson is that black dude who narrated The War and Navy TV ads. It's a little annoying when the voices are so obvious like that, it kind of takes me out of the game whenever they talk.

Also I don't know if it's just the character I created or what, but it seems the expressions of the main character is not as good as most of the NPCs. The NPCs would have sight movements with their faces when they talk or show expressions that were more nature, where as the main character's face is always stiff and can only show the "mad" expression by bunching up their eye brows, which looks just horrible on a female character.
Parallax

Fighting 181st

1109279 Potch
250 Soldiers
3275 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Himuro wrote:

Yeah right. They still dumbed down conversations. The npcs say the same thing the entire game. Bioware games aren't really known to do that.

I've always thought of the NPCs saying the same things for the entire game in Bioware games. I may be recalling incorrectly, or my hate for Bioware may be influencing my memories here, but I don't recall that being any different in KOTOR or Neverwinter Nights.

He's a victim - not a perp - and I'm choosing to let him go.
glen

6390 Potch
428 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah the voices start to drive me crazy after awhile of them talking saying the say crap over and over. I just turn the volume down till there something going on that i want to hear. The music drives me crazy as well tried to turn it down but it still louder then the voices in some parts of the game soyou can not hear what they are saying with out turning the volume up till its on fully just to hear what they were saying to each other.
Himuro

La Morte

844834 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I beat the game yesterday, with a total clock of 48 hours.

Overall, I say I loved the game. I have problems, but it was still a blast. I'm not sure if it's my game of the year though. Actually, I'm kinda stuck on that subject at the moment. Between Portal, Persona 3, and Mass Effect I can't fucking choose which game I enjoyed the most. They're all so good. Portal and P3 are definitely the more polished, better games but I'm of the opinion that there's a distinguishable difference between best and favorite. I would laugh at someone who said Star Wars was the best movie ever, but I could respect if it was their favorite.

That said, here's my run down:

+ Amazing presentation for an rpg. Mass Effect's cutscenes feel like the next step up for rpgs.
+ This is the ONE game that makes you feel like a space badass. It is one of the few games where I actually feel important, and that *my* decisions actually affected something, which is rare.
+ Space lesbian sex awww yeah.
+ All of the story worlds are fucking amazing.
+ Good story overall, with tough decisions you have to make.
+ Good characters.
+ Excellent music.
+ Extremely fun battle system.
+ Good difficulty curve. Even with overly powered Spectre weapons I still died once in a while if I wasn't careful. I can't wait to play it on Hardcore mode.
+ A step forward past Kotor and Jade Empire, two games I only *liked* and didn't end up *loving*.
+ High replay value. I can't wait to start a new game.

- The game is in, some ways, a step back for Bioware.
- The characterization is very anti-Bioware. Most of the game, the characters say the same damn thing. In past Bioware titles you could talk to your party members at any time and usually they would have something new to say. They also regularly made a comment when you made a decision and, sometimes, fought over your decisions. Mass Effect doesn't have this. Hell, you can only really talk to your party members on the Normandy. Bioware dropped the ball here, and imo, is the game's biggest flaw, but despite that, I loved the characters (except Carth...I mean Kaiden). They all had their quirks, their flaws, but remained likable throughout, and unlike say, FFXII, even though they lacked characterization you still felt like you could connect with them.

- Another step back for Bioware is the sidequests. Sidequests are one of my favorite things about Bioware games. They tend to varied and interesting. I did all the sidequests I could find in ME and most of them were lacking. What I like about western rpgs is that their quests tend to be story oriented and things that infuse a little more "oomph" into the game's plot and themes. Mass Effect ditches this for fetch quests and collectathons. I mean, you had some of those before, but not to this degree, and they certainly didn't eclipse the story based sidequests either.

- Non-story worlds are boring and lacking. They are all riddled with mountains, they have no goddamn terrain diversity, there's no wild life to speak of sans 2-3 planets, and all of them tend to have a similar layout: anamoly, debris, some random hideout where mercenaries are, with the same damn boxes with the same damn corridors. When Bioware hyped up the space travel, I thought they'd put more thought into it.

- The main story is extremely short and lacks meat.
- The ally achievements are, for the most part, a burden.
- Texture pop in is ridiculous
- The auto-save feature is useless.
- Some people may consider this a bad thing, and that's the learning curve. The battle system definitely has a learning curve.
- The inventory system SUCKS.
- The sidequests expose one niggle and that is repetition. Reviewers complained about how Assassin's Creed is repetitive, but Mass Effect is much more so. Going from planet to planet gets dull and the reason I did all the sidequests I could find *this* time is because I don't think I could stomach doing it on later playthroughs.

I would say Mass Effect is a flawed masterpiece. It does a lot right, but the few issues most have with it bump it down a few notches from what it could have been, had those issues been worked out. I really wonder what ME would be like if Bioware had oh...6 more months to develop the game. It definitely feels rushed in some spots.

I'd give the game an 8.5, which on my scale, is a great game.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: