Suikoden Ugly and Illusional Kosher Objective Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Mass Effect
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Himuro

La Morte

844834 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:42 pm    Post subject: Mass Effect Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Making a thread here big gaming board style.

Name: Mass Effect
Platform: Xbox 360 (pc?)
Genre: Action rpg
Release Date: 11/20/07

Editions:

Collectors Edition - $70

Normal Edition - $60

Hmm. I'm really starting to get pumped for Mass Effect. The combat doesn't look that funin the videos, but I'm reserving judgement until I actually play it...but, to tell you the truth, this is one game that I'm looking forward to because of the story.

http://masseffect.bioware.com/

If you look through some of the sections that go over the races and some of the characters, you can get a look at how deep and thorough this game is going to be. They're really trying their damndest to make this one rpg we won't forget. For their second non-licensed IP, it seems to me that based on all the information we have on the game, Boiware has learned from the mistakes from their first (JE's lack of character customization for one). Also, it looks a step above KotOR in some aspects (character customization) and back in line with Baldur's Gate's death. While it doesn't offer as many choices as you could with BG, it's a step in the right direction. For example, like in BG, you can pick your character's personality type right from the outset; a feature that was not in KotOR.

I can't wait to play it. I'm not usually one to play rpgs for story, but color me impressed, I've been in the dark for the greater part of a year regarding the game. This may be one action rpg I may actually enjoy.

Videos

Watch these to see if Mass Effect is for you. These vids also display some of the amazing visuals this game boasts. tThe animation is so surreal.

Exclusive launch trailer
Character spotlight 1
Character spotlight 2
Character spotlight 3
Gameplay Freedom interview

Images

You can make your own lesbian like in Jade Empire. I know what I'm going to do!

Achievements

Check out Mass Effect's achievements here

It seems most of the achievements can be gotten just playing the story, but that doesn't seem too bad. After Blue Dragon I can appreciate easier achievements.

Reviews

Game Informer - 9.75/10

Last edited by Himuro on Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:17 am; edited 3 times in total
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

One of the titles I am most excited about for the 360 this year. The tweaks and changes to make the branching conversational choices more interactive should make this a quality advancement of the same system from Knights of the Old Republic and Jade Empire.

La Morte

844834 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah I just saw that first trailer I linked for the first time. I didn't know you could interrupt what people say. That's pretty damn cool.
Scarlet Assassin

Disciples of Death

331436 Potch
0 Soldiers
2442517 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Meh, graphics don't impress me. Can't call a game good or bad until you play it, but it seems to me that if you're going to bring it up in every thread and post those pictures everywhere, you've already decided that the game is good.

Chief of Beat-em-up Honeys Division, Devoted Protector of Lady Tifa Lockhart
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Himuro

La Morte

844834 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

That's because it's Bioware. Screw the graphics. The gameplay sounds awesome.

Tull: How did you like Jade Empire?
Bub

Sons of Thunder

59807 Potch
0 Soldiers
1894561 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Bioware hasn't been perfect with their games so far. I mean, I thoroughly enjoyed Knights of the Old Republic and Jade Empire, but the second installment of Knights of the Old Republic was so incredibly disappointing.

From reading about this game, it definately has potential...but I hope that Bioware rises from the ashes after the travesty of KOTOR 2.

I do enjoy Biowares style, however...with a very interactive RPG system. They rely heavily on characters and story (most of the time) over graphics, it seems...and that is something that I really like in a RPG producing company.

I wasn't planning on picking up an Xbox 360 (never enough RPG games coming from Microsoft), but I will follow this game until it comes out, and if it is as good as it sounds, I may have to pick one up.

Futch

JUST ME AND THE OTHER BIG DUDES

125356 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I can't watch the trailer at the moment, but you mean that for instance, some old geezerd is explaining some ancient legend you don't give a crap about and you can go and start:

LEEEROOOOYYY JEEEENSEEEEN!!

And go away? Sweet.

Look in the internet for leroy jensen people, I don't even play world of warcraft and I know it.
Himuro

La Morte

844834 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

KOTOR 2 wasn't even done by Bioware. It was done by a developer named Obsidian. They did NWN2 as well. Bioware sold both IP's to them.
Sailor Sexy

Mikan weeps for Brady

246380 Potch
175 Soldiers
50 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Bub wrote:
From reading about this game, it definately has potential...but I hope that Bioware rises from the ashes after the travesty of KOTOR 2.

In all fairness, Bioware had very limited capacity with KOTOR 2. They basically allowed Obsidian to do as they wish, so it was more Obsidian's fault that the game turned out as badly as it did.

As for Mass Effect, I'll wait until it's actually out and people who aren't staunch 360 supporters say it's good. Microsoft hasn't done terribly well with RPGs, so you'll have to forgive me for not instantly falling in love with pretty, shiny graphics. Hey, I'm willing to buy it if it really is a good game, I'm just not willing to crown it the best game in 2007 before it's actually out.

~Uguu!~
Himuro

La Morte

844834 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Apart of the reasons Mass Effect interests me are the genre innovations, rather than the graphics. The graphics look amazing though.

I don't care what MS has done in the past with rpgs. All I know is that I own KotOR and Jade Empire for Xbox and love them a lot, and that 360's rpg line up dazzles me. Who cares about the past when there's effort for the future?

I find it funny you bring up the fact I support 360. I bet if this was a ps3 rpg you wouldn't question anything and spooge over it. But just because it's on 360, you think I'm interested in it. Lame.
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It is not a Microsoft game. All they're in it for is paying BioWare to make the game exclusive to the 360. Mass Effect is a wholly-owned BioWare IP. Yes, the graphics is not everything but the graphics looks like that because its on a nextgen platform. Why develop a game for a nextgen platform that can handle such graphics and not do so. From what I've seen both in demos, vid-docs released by BioWare, to neutral party hands-on first impression of early builds the game is delivering on what BioWare has promised.

Some people will still talk about it in negative terms because its an Xbox 360 games. That's their prerogative but an ignorant one that smells of biased fanboyism. Even then I care not since it's their loss. The reason why some people seem to discount the small number of rpgs on the MS console is the fact that their rpgs that doesnt follow the traditional Japanese-style. I've known many PS2 fans who wish they could play KOTOR but decide not to because it's on the Xbox. Their loss though they could play it on the PC as Sailor has done, but Sony hardcore fans are as ignorant about not liking PC games as they do Xbox games.

Will Mass Effect fall on its face? Sure, any game has that potential to do so even great franchises on Sony and Nintendo have had some stinkers yet no one talks about them. But I've not been disappointed by any title that BioWare has developed themselves so I give them the benefit of the doubt with this latest offering. If it's as good as KOTOR then it's a success.

La Morte

844834 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Tullaryx wrote:
The reason why some people seem to discount the small number of rpgs on the MS console is the fact that their rpgs that doesnt follow the traditional Japanese-style.

The funny thing is that even when 360 has so many announced rpgs, they still bring up the "Xbuck doesn't have rpgs! It's only for shooters!" hullabaloo, which really makes me question their credibility.

Tull: I guess you answered my question then. I've been going through KotOR on Xbox recently. I had it on pc before, but it always crashed so I decided to get it for Xbox. After I finish KotOR I'm going to replay Jade Empire and play it on closed fist (dark side) style. Hell yeah! And then after Jade, I'm going to go through Baldur's Gate II. Ohoho. I'm preparing for Mass Effect, jes!
Archy

PRAISE BE TO... GROOOWL RAINING BLOOD

506257 Potch
0 Soldiers
800 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Futch wrote:
I can't watch the trailer at the moment, but you mean that for instance, some old geezerd is explaining some ancient legend you don't give a crap about and you can go and start:

LEEEROOOOYYY JEEEENSEEEEN!!

And go away? Sweet.

Look in the internet for leroy jensen people, I don't even play world of warcraft and I know it.

I thought it was Leeroy Jenkins, not Jensen? :P

Man, this looks like a sweet gaomeplay ride. It looks space/galactic-oriented though, something which I'm not a fan of. But that arguing thing real makes me interested.

Celes Tilly wrote:
If one of you were to ask, "Celes, what is Twisted Sister?" I would tell you God's honest truth.

"Butt rock."
Locke

Poker of Doom

157293 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Looks more like a first person shooter with Role playing elements to me.

I'm more looking forward to Blue Dragon myself.

3 Time Suikox WWE Fantasy Champion
Himuro

La Morte

844834 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It's not even in first person...

I don't see how it's any different compared to all the other action rpgs out there like Kingdom Hearts.

"Looks more like a beat em' up than an rpg to me."

Sigh.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: