Suikoden Uncanny and Infamous Kraalesque Omniscient Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Suikoden II- Clive's side quest
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Gameplay Questions & Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rincewind

Architect of the Pass - Phoenix Regiment

1500 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 5:02 am    Post subject: Suikoden II- Clive's side quest Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Has anyone ever pulled off this sideques before? It seems like you would have to rush job the game, and tap X to get through all the story real quick. My strategy guide says highland needs to be invading within 20 hours of game play. Just wondering if it's worth playing through really fast to do this.
Goldy

Kooluk Companions

543627 Potch
467 Soldiers
4141829 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

If this is your first playthrough then no its not worth it. Just enjoy the game and collect all the 108 Stars.
Then again if this isnt your first playthrough then by all means go ahead, its worth at least doing once.
I dont remember the steps for Clive's Quest exactly, but i am sure they are here on the site.
sybillious

Ebony Moon Knights

981865 Potch
59 Soldiers
60 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

you have a time limit on each one, this walkthrough gives you the info:

http://db.gamefaqs.com/console/psx/file/suikoden_ii_clives_quest_a.txt

as goldmember said, enjoy a playthrough or two first, then worry about 'extras' like this; it will help you get used to where things are so travelling is easier for you.

gotta gotta get a...SPICE WEASEL!

to paraphrase my fellow mod, parallax:
I hate my job with the passionately burning intensity of a thousand fiery suns.
Horned Loa

Guardians of the Merchant

96000 Potch
1000 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well......to answer your question, YES members did finish the Clive Subquest and yes, I am one of them. I've finished the subquest several times and my record time was in a little less than 14 hours where as the time limit is either 20 or 21 I believe. Not only did I finish the Clive Subquest but I collected all the 108 stars INCLUDING VALERIA, before Rockaxe and I had 4 Double-Beat runes from the beginning of the game with no dead characters and every single lost forever item up to that point.

I never bothered with the mini-games or random treasure chests such as the window sets or the statue pieces (unless they were lost forevers) because you come back to those later on anyways. I designed a good power party that strikes first and strikes fast. Double-Beat and Fury are good for this but you'd need some luck and the good old save/reset trick for the Fury runes early on. You cannot bother yourself with the little things such as arranging your characters for the mini battles or taking loads of preparation time for Luca (I lucked out and got Anita at level 99 though so I had no problems there). Simple quick and clean, I managed to finish the Clive Subquest and the rest of the game including getting every recipe and finishing all mini-games as well as boosting everyone to level 99 with level 16 weapons took me a further 4-6 hours.

The answer to your second question has already been given and I'll agree with the two that you should not attempt the Clive subquest on the first run and I myself wouldn't really try it up until at least the third time playing through......and even then I wouldn't expect to complete it. I got it on my fourth go I think, but I have played the game about 20 times now so I'm well aware of the story and can skip through a load of the text and challenge myself even more.

I don't see any further use for this thread really but I'll leave it open if anyone else has any questions or if someone wishes to discuss theories and tricks to the Clive Subquest that are not already in the well known guides.
Noot

Faithers of the Defend

186551 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I have nothing really to add except let me bow in your presence, Lord Bishop Fang! :shock:

I too completed the sidequest a couple times, but I didn't use the same strategy as my Lord Bishop. I didn't skip any texts, I usually talked to everyone in town, I took some time out to level up my party (the mines near Tinto was one of the best places to get to level 40 fast) and collected all 108 characters. Unfortunately I've never done the fury rune trick, but when I play the game again I'll give it a shot. I've also never gotten anyone to level 99, or maxed everyone's weapons (though I'm aware of the glitches that let you do that).

The sidequest isn't that hard, but it's important to get to the next checkpoints as soon as possible. For instance, before you do the Two Rivers sidequest, where you have to chase Chaco around, I just keep on going until I reach Forest Village. Later on when you try to get Matilda to join, bring Clive in your party to save you a trip (not having the Blinking Mirror hurts early on). It's important to not neglect your party when trying to run through the game for this side quest or you will have greater difficulty with the boss fights down the road.

It's probably better to be completely familiar with the game and its layout when trying to do this Sidequest, and that includes knowing how to recruit everyone without the help of Richmond. Also save the Hai Yo and Tir sidequests for the end of the game when you have all the time you need. That's really the only advice I can give.

It's hard to bargle naudle zauss with all these marbles in my mouth.
Scarlet Assassin

Disciples of Death

331436 Potch
0 Soldiers
2442517 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Playing through the game the third time, I did his quest without even noticing it. I was just playing the game and then I got into the whole thing with Elza with the final battle and I went "HUH? Is this that thing they were talking about with Clive?"

Chief of Beat-em-up Honeys Division, Devoted Protector of Lady Tifa Lockhart
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Horned Loa

96000 Potch
1000 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Nutterz wrote:
I too completed the side quest a couple times, but I didn't use the same strategy as my Lord Bishop. I didn't skip any texts, I usually talked to everyone in town, I took some time out to level up my party (the mines near Tinto was one of the best places to get to level 40 fast) and collected all 108 characters. Unfortunately I've never done the fury rune trick, but when I play the game again I'll give it a shot. I've also never gotten anyone to level 99, or maxed everyone's weapons (though I'm aware of the glitches that let you do that).

Well by the end of the game you generally pick up everything thats in the way as well as all the lost forevers such as the items from places that get destroyed or somehow locked. I didn't talk to anyone asides from people I needed to as I've already been there and done that before and I can come back and do it all over again. As far as level ups are concerned, 3-4 battles in a single area are all thats needed to boost you up high enough to take out the boss and you usually encounter at least that many. Level ups aren't that hard to achieve.

The Fury/Double-Beat trick involves using your best and quickest fighters. Riou, Nanami, Flik and Viktor are a must for most of the game. Equip Flik with only a Fury, Viktor with both a Fury and Double Beat, Riou with a Bright Shield, Fury, Double Beat Combo and Nanami with a Fury and Double Beat OR switch one of the two for a Water/Flowing Rune although I mostly find those unnecessary due to the speed. When you arrive in Coronet the first time to get Shu (I believe that is the first time) use the save/reset trick to acquire as many Speed Rings as possible and give them all to Viktor and then down the line. Once you get to Tinto, slowly start replacing Speed Rings with Skill Rings. Another character which you should use at all times should be CLIVE with a Double Beat. Give him three skill rings and a Master Garb and watch the guy just DECIMATE everything in his path. Granted his attack power is nothing to brag about........hitting 6-12 times a turn though easily compensates for that. I generally make Luc the final member of my party and later on replace Nanami with Mazus because a single Wind/Cyclone rune can rid you of lots of pesky little soldiers in a single hit. Either way, just going on auto should annihilate the entire enemy party just about every time. High skill boosts your chances of double and triple attacking as well as giving you more chances at dodging, countering and using criticals (which makes the Killer rune a little less effective). This formation generally works the best as a simple auto function rids me of everything on the screen in a matter of seconds since all my guys have better speed than most of the enemy units and they take them all out with one blow.

This might seem like it doesn't do too much but in reality most of the time is spent in battles. This method not only eliminates unite waiting times as well as subsequent turns, but it also takes out the enemy before their turn comes up, thus essentially cutting the battle time DRASTICALLY. Multiply that by a few hundred to a thousand battles throughout the game and you can see how that would contribute to your total time in the end.

I'll try and go below 12 hours or even 10 if possible although I doubt that is doable....but then again....I have done it in 14. :?

Scarlet Assassin wrote:
Playing through the game the third time, I did his quest without even noticing it. I was just playing the game and then I got into the whole thing with Elza with the final battle and I went "HUH? Is this that thing they were talking about with Clive?"

You got the whole quest on your first go ? :shock: Some of those hints and answers were pretty damn vague but good job.
Scarlet Assassin

Disciples of Death

331436 Potch
0 Soldiers
2442517 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm not even sure how I actually pulled it off. It was the third time through the game and I skipped a lot of the dialogue (I live for the strategy battles of S2.) I'm guessing that contributed to it heavily.

Chief of Beat-em-up Honeys Division, Devoted Protector of Lady Tifa Lockhart
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Milan Fiori

Vanguard Elite

715991 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I've done it once but refuse to do it again because well...

*Spoilers*
I refuse to let Elza die again! :cry:

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Justice Johnny

Crimson Grass

1177898 Potch
114 Soldiers
940 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I love to play perfect games, and I've actually pulled off getting Riou to Level 99 and at the same time, have Clive finish the sidequest. It's all thanks to the almighty Fire Lizard Rune.

If you feel like you're only an amateur, it's good to have Stallion in your party at all times once you get him. I believe you get 100% flee rate if he's in your party so you can run like hell in every random encounter. Now, you might complain that you won't be leveled enough for the next boss battle. Well, honestly, boss battles in Suikoden aren't really that hard, and there aren't a lot of them. The only boss battles I found difficult were Neclord at Tinto and the Bone Dragon at Greenhill. You have the Bright Shield Rune anyway. Just make sure you level your characters enough to hold their own against the bosses. You wouldn't want Level 20 characters fighting the wormy thing at the Banner Pass or the Stone Golem at the Crom Mines.

Now, if running is not your style, then you should make a party that you like and you think you can use for a long time without changing them. Mine was Humphrey (I got him doing the Matilda trick), Oulan, Clive, Rina, Riou and Nanami (same party that pwned Luca). Nanami with a Spark Rune helps so that you can get rid of these enemies before they can even touch you. Rina's a good mage, so she can help you deal big damage in boss battles, or just stick the best three-rune combo at her (Fury, Double-Beat, Double-strike). Oulan has a badass rune, especially if you complement it with a Fury Rune. Humphrey has great defense, and uses a two-handed sword, so you have both power and defense in him, plus Nanami uses a Spark Rune anyway so his speed wouldn't pose much of a problem. Clive... well, he's needed for the subquest.

I thought the thing that would hurt me the most was leveling up for the battle with Luca Blight (remember, I was going for a perfect game) but it didn't take me more than an hour to level up my characters to Level 38 and upgrade their weapons. Special thanks to Hans for being such a generous armorer.

If you're under 17 hours when you liberate Greenhill, I think you're in a safe spot, but try to keep it under 16 to be sure.
Beecham

Wind In The Grass

33221 Potch
75 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Not bad advice, all of that. Might need to try it out the next time I make the attempt; my last playthrough of GS2 was an attempt at a second perfect completion, and I failed miserably. Never would have made it to Sajah in time, so I stopped trying before I even got to Rockaxe for the Nanami scene.
Horned Loa

96000 Potch
1000 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well the only way to beat it PERFECTLY would be to also beat ROWD at the beginning of the game and the only way to do that is via the Matilda trick or play through most of the game without dying once and then get yourself killed and reset back home but that would mean that you died and hence it is not counted as perfect. If you manage to beat Rowd, finish the Clive subquest and get Riou to level 99 than my hats off to you as that is just brilliant.

However, I'm curious.....to get to level 99, Riou must be at a MAXIMUM of level 49 (unless you want to go the hard route). That would mean that you'd have to RUN from all the Greenhill and Rockaxe liberation fights (or have Riou killed off) as well as die when fighting Lucia, the Bone Dragon, Gorudo and Lucia yet again. You do not gain any experience for the Han duel so I suppose it is achievable but it'll be VERY hard.........but even so....I'm most likely sure you STILL haven't achieved a perfect game because of Genshu :mrgreen:...........unless you went about it the hells hard way heh. Then there is also the STONE trick which you have to do on EVERY stat for EVERY character as well as upgrade ALL weapons to level 16 and get ALL the bath scenes and Richmond's secrets as well as all the letters in the suggestion box. They would HAVE TO run out at some point but I wonder if there is a FINAL one.....possibly revealing that hidden dungeon SARSadmin told us about a few years back. :P

Anyways, I think I'll replay them all from Suikoden I and when I play two I doubt I'll bother with the Clive subquest but rather take my time and enjoy each and every game to their fullest (and get a 100% perfect battle record :mrgreen: ).

Oh on a side note.....speaking of perfection, we all know of the rare defeat Leon speech, but there are a FEW battles where you fight certain characters that ARE defeatable; namely Luca Blight, Kiba and Sassarai. Has anyone ever managed to defeat any of them before??? Luca Blight would be the hardest one to defeat but during the "Save Ridley" mission it CAN be done with proper strategizing and a little luck. I might try that next time and give you all the report.
Beecham

Wind In The Grass

33221 Potch
75 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I managed to off Luca once, yeah. It took more than a "little" luck, though. I lost track of the number of replays I went through on that battle alone. Effed up? Reset. Try again. Rinse. Repeat. Ad nauseum. Leon I have yet to beat, and the same goes for Sasarai.

As for your definition of perfect, clearly we disagree. Perfect to me is simply finishing all the side quests, get the best ending, and have finished Clive quest to its fullest. What you call perfect, I call pure insanity.

Sides, I don't count dying as a strike against perfection, since dying is a tactic in this game.
Aurelien

1567728 Potch
0 Soldiers
157 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Black Fang, are you 100% sure that you can defeat Luca's unit in save Ridley mission? From what I know, Luca's unit was programmed to be undefeatable.

~City-States of Jowston and Tinto Republic~
06.06.2004 - 20.01.2008

Beecham

Wind In The Grass

33221 Potch
75 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

If not that battle, then one of them, because I do remember accomplishing it once. Mind you, it's been a long time since I played. There were a few battles I replayed ad nauseum, and I thought that the Save Ridley was one.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Gameplay Questions & Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: