Suikoden Unique and Infamous Keystone Ontic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Under-rated Suikoden IV characters [spoilers]
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Orion the Mage

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 11:13 pm    Post subject: Under-rated Suikoden IV characters [spoilers] Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

This is a thread for those of us who are sick of the favorite character section that continously praises Ted, Jeane, and other notable characters. Yes we know of their premise, but there are others that need their share of recognition also. Thanks to a friend of mine "OptimmisticPessimistic" i decided to design this based on under-rated characters.

I begin.

Dario. Dario may be my favorite player in the game. His hardcore attitude, and "argggg" mentality. He makes mistakes, yes, but always does them when he thinks they are right. His iron splitter cracks skulls, and critical hits can get into the 3000s at lvl 63. Equipped with a double strike and fury rune, Dario takes almost every oppenent out in the training room in one turn. Dario deserves more credit. Also his unite with Uga is one of the best in the game.

Any other under-rated characters please inform us.
Sophita

The Wee Kitty Grand Duke Defense Brigade

498078 Potch
1330 Soldiers
2725 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Aw, I love Dario. His combination attack with Gau? Hilarious, especially when it goes wrong. And I love that he takes care of Nalleo and even tells him what to do if daddy doesn't come back. His scene with Nalleo was one of the most touching of the endgame sequences, IMO. He is one of my favorites by far.

I have a soft spot for Reinhold and Mitsuba, too. Both of them are insanely good on the battlefield early on, and I find Mitsuba holds her strength throughout the entire game. (Not sure about Reinhold - I was using him for leveling up so much I didn't put him in my party often!) She's hilarious (her confessional is one of the best, IMO) and quite helpful and I love that they're uhm, not exactly the saintliest of people. Nice to see more "undesiderables" in your hero's party.

(I have more, but alas, have to go, so I'll edit this later.)

SCII month continues! DueFiumi.com
John Layfield wrote:
But bubbles... children love bubbles! XD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Weyoun

Jem'Hadar

221521 Potch
100 Soldiers
5 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

You may of heard me say this before but i think the most under-rated character is Millay. Everybody says that she is bad but i put her in my party and i was surprised.

Her attack was pretty good but what got me was her magic. At level 58 i think her hagic was 8/5/3/1 but im not sure, it was around those lines though. She served me well, and i dont want to say this but here i go...........shes better than Chiepoo.

Second would be Tal, ive noticed no one puts him in there final party, but i did and didnt regret it. I slapped a Fury rune on him and he was the most productive attacker ive seen in the game. His early level of 56 might make him better than Dario at Orion the Mages level 63. Thank god i put im in my party at the beggining of the game.

I always thought that Dario was bad but i can see hes not that bad at all, im convinced and i might check him out and but him in my party but i doubt it.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Daniel Blackhand

siswai'aman Brotherhood of Pain

330059 Potch
0 Soldiers
5731866 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I have to agree with Sophita, in that I really loved using Mitsuba.. Once I got her she pretty much stayed in my party at all times.

Universal Migrators

7311 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think Keneth is very under-rated.I played with him in my first game and he saved me a lot fo times with his good lightning affinity.He's one of the best warrior/mage in the game.

Another character is Kate.Many people think that Mizuki is better than Kate,but thats just because Mizuki has got the Shrike Rune.Kate is also a good warrior/mage.

''Sail away to Avalon.......''
Child of The Sea God

188289 Potch
2671 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

To me it's hero4 just because the games plot sucks doesn't mean he does.
Orion the Mage

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Another one of my favorite characters is Rita. Not based on her game, but on her fighting ability. She is very good. She is one of the only characters that I feel attached to. Also she has one of the coolest weapons in the game. She also a very good warrior/mage. Once I put her in my party I had a hard time taking her out. She has pretty good earth magic and with sharpened weapons she hits hard. And I think she has a unite with someone but I haven't tried that yet. But she is very good. And as for Millay, she is also very good. Her and Rita are my two favorite females in the game. Both, I think, are very good warrior/mages that don't get enough credit where it is due. 8)
kuwaizair

blauuurgggh!

174392 Potch
0 Soldiers
1291 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

yeah, I've grown attached to Keneth as well, I had him with me in the begining.
anway I'm testing out characters for fighting, and seeing what works, but I'm going about it wrong, like I dont know how to play the game correctly. Rene is pretty cute, but bordering on obcessed, you know "focusing my spirit on the mappppp"

as for personalitys, I'm not quite sure, most characters are all pretty quirky, or cute in their confussed cluelessness.....like "oh ok, are you feeling right? take it easy bie"
just pay attintion to comments and confessions.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
OptimisticPessimist

Dum Spiramus Tuebimur

84561 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, I sorta like Kate, she makes quite a good balance between warrior and mage. She might not be as fast as Mizuki, but her magic is a lot better and, well, I just sorta like her stats the way they are.

Keneth was pretty good too, because of his magic stats, I sorta obliberated the early bosses at a faster rate than expected.
Thief

Truth

213998 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The Hero: also known as the main character, the romanised-version-of-whatever-name-given-to-him-by-the-soon-to-be-publi shed-almost-official-novel

As far as Suikoden main characters go, he is pretty much the least popular. Of course, his awkward running animations and short shorts simply made things worse (though honestly I'm personally fine with both, especially with respect to the 'heavy' feeling that Suikoden III running movement had). For your run-of-the-mills Suikoden fan, he's nothing more than "poor" reincarnation of Hero/Jowy relationship form Suikoden II but he's nothing like that. Think again. I won't bother explaining it anymore.

Stats-wise, he's fine. His magic is nothing comparable to McDohl or Geddoe, but he is not a pure physical powerhouse like Chris either. Rune of Punishment, while impressive plot-wise, is somewhat similar to True Fire Rune. You know it's powerful, but you can't use it much because of its side effects. And, because generally magic is fairly dumbed down in IV (both in strength and visual effects), most of us are left unsatisfied with his magical prowess. Even if we chose to let him use other magic runes, his affinities aren't exactly ground-shattering.

Well, I like him loads. Loads of strengths, loads of weaknesses. But he's fairly original and doesn't try to be a clone of a previous hero. Can't really decide between him and Thomas as my second favourite Tenkai.
The Emissary Peregrine

First Corps of Royal Emissaries

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Everyone rags on Ornan. It's no secret I like Ornan. Why shouldn't I? Even when the Waking Rune isn't active, he does some pretty good damage. When it is active, his damage is right up there with the heavy hitters like Izak.

Reinhold doesn't get his due. He is awesome with fire magic, deals impressive physical damage, and fights with a stick of bamboo. He's so confident, he doesn't have to wear a shirt into battle, so how about that-a-latty-tat-tat. I slapped a Medicine rune on him, but I switched it out for a run-of-the-mill Killer Rune, so he could do everything but heal. Oh, well.

Brec and Jango. They act like masochists (or maybe they're just really, really dumb) and look like wet dog, but they are excellent captains in the naval battles. After Haruto turned out to be so disapointing...

I'm sure Nico's good for something, but don't you dare ask me what...

-Will Rogers

Take the diplomacy out of war and the thing would fall flat in a week.

-Ibid.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
TheStrategist

Sentinel 8

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

i dont think the game has been out long enuf for this topic to completely take effect..I will state my fav underdog as u wish....Non story wise, Im gonna have to go with Trishtan..I love the stance and he his strength is very notable for his size...Story-wise, I'm gonna have to go with Flare..To me, she was the most classic Suikoden character in the game...Dont ask me why, but i think it's because of her attire and posture...She wasnt developed as much as she should have been considering she was the princess of the most important ally kingdom in the game.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Sana

Acolytes of Chisha

6534 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 10:44 pm    Post subject: Kate and Ameria Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I don't think Kate and Ameria are recognized enough. Kate is often overshadowed by her sister, Mizuki (even though I like her too, as a character). Howver, I feel Kate is way better. At around Level 30, I believe, she already had three rune slots. Equipping her with a fury and a double damage made her do some great damage. Combine that with her pretty good fire affinity, equipping her with a Rage Rune was harmful to many a enemy. (Especially when mixed with an Earth Rune (such as Ted) for great damage with Scorched Earth) Although, the only problem I have with Kate is her low HP.

Ameria, I also though was a great asset that many people overlooked. By level 56 (somewhere around there I believe) I got her to have three rune slots, which was quite helpful. She had pretty good everything, and was able to equip some of the better armour such as the Hero Set. With the three rune slots, giving her a Rage and a Double Damage caused some nice damage. She also had a good affinity with wind, and I found that equipping her with a Cyclone Rune helped out quite a bit.

Both of these characters were definately overlooked, and are great assets to the team.
Orion the Mage

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I agree with the fact that Ameria was, in fact, a good character. Altough i liked Wendel more. But the thing about Wendel is, what sex is it? I looks clearly like a girl in the game in the art book and in the strategy quide. But when you read comments placed about him/her by Nico it says this:

Nico
Wendel is...

Well, he's not a bad guy, but he just
keeps following me, even though
I said I don't need any apprentices...

Now maybe Nico has just been up in the crow's nest to long and the sun has got to him where he cant really see that well anymore. But Wendel clearly seems like a female. She is pretty good with good magic and attack. But were in the world would you think its a guy. If anyone can prove me wrong then please go ahead, and if you can give me any insight on where i have failed in determining members of the opposite sex please help me.
MMan9000

Animal Rangers

3075764 Potch
275 Soldiers
400 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Wendel is a girl. I think she is one of the most underrated characters ever (in any suikoden game).

I am sick of everyone saying how awesome Ted and Jeane are. I mean, Ted is good, but is overrated. I was able to beat the game not using either of those characters.

Anyways on to my underrated list

1) Kate- I know how everyone thinks Mizuki is better then her, but that is not true. The only thing that Mizuki has over Kate is a little speed, and the Shrike Rune. In my second time through the game (which I am at) I have both Kate and Mizuki at the same level, and Kate has higher speed then Mizuki (even without the Ninja armor I gave her). The only things that Mizuki has higher then Kate at is HP and Mg. Defense. Other then that, Kate is better. She is an excellent magician, and is deadly with a Rage Rune.

2) Wendel- She is one of the best characters in the game. She might not have as high magic as Ted, Maxine, Jeane, or Warlock (she is fifth) but she has something that most of them don't have-speed and strength. She might have less HP, but with her high evasion then that really doesn't matter all that much. She is a great healer (which I use her for).

Here are some more people I think are underrated

3) Rita- Sure she might be a girl, but she is a good fighter. She is a really good mage, and I use her for that reason. I personally think that she is better then the previous tricksters in general. She was deadly with a Lightning Rune. The only thing I didn't like about her was Rita-pon and her voice. Her voice drove me crazy!

4) Maxine- You are all probably wondering why I am saying that Maxine is underrated. When I read topics on this site and others that ask who you beat the game with, most of them say Ted and Jeane, one out of ten or so say Maxine, but she still doesn't get the attention she deserves. She has better affinities then Jeane, and has higher magic then her also. Sure she might not be as good looking as Jeane, but do looks really matter? I mean in video games...

Official Smoke Bomb User

Space For Rent. Contact Me for Details

Last edited by MMan9000 on Thu Mar 17, 2005 9:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Character Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: