Suikoden Uncouth and Illusional Keystone Orgazmic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Nash's Weapons
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Character Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:33 am    Post subject: Nash's Weapons Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Okay, so in Suikogaiden hes using dual swords, magic scrolls etc. Now hes very good with these weapons, he beats off Seed and Culgan when encoutering them and even manages to wound Seed in the process. What baffles me is that we see him again in Suikoden III, but this time, hes ditched the dual swords for daggers... that you throw...

I can understand ditching the dual swords because they made him insane, but could he have just purchased a nice pair that don't cause insanity if he doesn't want to use them? I'm sure he'd take that realistically, even if they don't stretch out and kill or poison people... I forget which, it's all so confusing.

So, is there any particular reason apart from him bowing out from the political scene or the Suikoden lime light?
John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

*doesn't read post*

No, he's not from Katana.

:P

There was a rumour way back when, I think, that Nash in Suikoden III could counter/parry attacks with the Dual Snake Sword Grosser Fluss although nothing ever came of it, I think.

Maybe it was because as a spy (he even adopted the name Nash Clovis), he decided to rid himself of anything that could possibly link him to Nash Latkje. Or the swords could just hold some bad memories on a period of his life that wasn't much fun.
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yes he is from Katana!!! You lie!!!

Where is that rumour from, John?
Sophita

The Wee Kitty Grand Duke Defense Brigade

498078 Potch
1330 Soldiers
2725 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Me thinks the insanity might be a big reason for ditching it. That and as a spy, he'd probably want to be as non-noticable as possible, and a man carrying around two big swords is a bit easier for ye common man to take notice of and rememer than a man carrying around some daggers. (...Actually, correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Nash use darts in Suikoden III?)

SCII month continues! DueFiumi.com
John Layfield wrote:
But bubbles... children love bubbles! XD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

But wouldn't a normal sword by itself make more sense? He'd blend in more with normal guards and citizens, having daggers is more out of the ordinary. Plus Nash is more formiddable with full blades, as we've seen.
Milan Fiori

Vanguard Elite

715991 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The rumor about the parry/counter was completely false. He parries and counters with the knife at his belt. It a little stiletto type dagger with a really blocky hilt. It's the same knife he draws on Hugo in Chisha Village when Hugo recoginizes Chris. Nash appears out of nowhere and says "Now that's not anyway to greet an acquaintance."

Also, I don't think his weapon was thrown. It looked more like a one-shot hidden under his sleeve. His attack scene makes no throwing motion. He raises his right arm and grasps his wrist with his left hand.

Considering his training at the HVG, then his training as a temple guard/knight? He's proficient with probably a wide range of weaponry, including the rare gunpowder. Plus, if you want to look non-threatening then you don't wear swords out in the open. Especially if you're sneaking into a ladies chamber, and she knows how to use a sword.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Vextor

11331071 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

His default weapon is actually a spike-projector hidden in his sleeve. It works with a spring-like mechanism. He doesn't throw anything, unless he's countering an attack (as Milan says above)-- in that case he sues a knife.

He ditched his Grosser Fluss because the sword reminds him of bad memories. They're not actually cursed or anything; Nash just hates using it. As for why he doesn't use normal swords, it's probably because he doesn't even want to be thought of as a soldier. He prefers to be thought of as some every-day ordinary person. Even in medieval times you wouldn't see a common traveler walking around with two swords strapped to his waist-- you'd stick out like an owl in a hay stack. Daggers are concealable, and they're often used as common tools anyways-- people won't think much of it.
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It just seems to me if hes going to be involved in a full-scale war with Harmonian soldiers and monsters spawned from Blue Gate runes, he'd use something more appropriate that we know he can use. I like him a lot as a character, thats why I was a bit annoyed when they changed him so much.
Milan Fiori

Vanguard Elite

715991 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Owl... in a hay stack? Never heard that before...

Ahh so it was a one-shot. Just a spring loaded cylinder that shoots bolt-like projectiles. They're nifty little things, but historical ones were really really hard to cock after being fires, which is why they were call one-shots. You only get one shot before they get to you. I think I remember one being used to assassinate an Italian noble at one point or another.

*edit* Bah, slow connection. I wouldn't mind have seeing them, and showing that he over came the "curse" and was able to use them properly. But I think the weapons he used were more appropriate to the storyline.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Failure_Urn

[SPECTATOR]

673539 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I dont think his weapon change had anything to do with people recognising him as Nash Latkje. If he went to that lenght to conceil his identity he probably would have also changed his first name at least a little and maby worn different color clothes or dyed his hair. He still looks very similar is what im getting at. Also the shooter thingy is probably just more convienient for the sneaking around he has to do, wont have his swords clanking around. But that is a good point i never thought about him just using Different swords.

White Maiden Mercenaries

167500 Potch
50 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

What was with the comment about him being from Katana. HE is defiently not from Katana he is almost surely from Harmonia his family were first class harmonion citizens
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Agahnim

Endurvakning

932410 Potch
200 Soldiers
36 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

mumbay wrote:
What was with the comment about him being from Katana. HE is defiently not from Katana he is almost surely from Harmonia his family were first class harmonion citizens

I believe someone was making a joke at the expense of poor Ujitsuna, in relation to his seeming infatuation with all things Katana.

The weaponry used by Nash in Suikoden 3 seemed more like the kind of things you'd expect a spy to have, I suppose; as opposed to two unique and devastating magical swords, that would bring a lot of attention to him.

"The strong manly ones in life are those who understand the meaning of the word patience."
Sophita

The Wee Kitty Grand Duke Defense Brigade

498078 Potch
1330 Soldiers
2725 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Me thinks Agahnim is spot onl, there.

Failure_Urn wrote:
I dont think his weapon change had anything to do with people recognising him as Nash Latkje. If he went to that lenght to conceil his identity he probably would have also changed his first name at least a little and maby worn different color clothes or dyed his hair. He still looks very similar is what im getting at. Also the shooter thingy is probably just more convienient for the sneaking around he has to do, wont have his swords clanking around.

Well, given that camera technology seems to be have been lost at some point after Ye Merry Olde Days with Oleg, I don't think people exactly get a picture of what a suspected spy might look like. As far as not changing his name...While gameplay-wise,I'm pretty sure they did that so that the audience knew who he was, I think in medieval times having the same name might not be such a big deal. I mean, if you know two guys named Jim who both have blond hair, would you believe they were the same person? Especally if say, Jim Anderson is known for being an expert with a very specialized type of sword and Jim Smith has never been seen with anything but a knife? (I'd assume most don't know about the projectile?) It's not like they have wanted ads posted around Zexen for an alleged Harmonian spy. :P

SCII month continues! DueFiumi.com
John Layfield wrote:
But bubbles... children love bubbles! XD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

But it was well known in Budehuc that he was from Harmonia and smart people could figure out easily he was a spy. I just think if it were a matter of life and death it's silly for him to rely on a spring loaded projectile in his sleeve or a small throwing dagger.
Scar

Scar's Scourge

24083 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It was only pointed out that he was from Harmonia AFTER he told everyone. Chris was left in shock when he told her in the forest. point is, no one, except Salome had a clue of his true identity.

Why didn't Nash have grosser Fluss during suikoden 3? It was buried with Zaj at an undisclosed location.

Why didn't Nash just use a different type of twin sword combo? Daggers are more easily carried around, and his job during the war was espionage. He had to be everywhere at any given time, and carrying two full sized swords would have hampered his travel. The projectile weapon he used fit in his sleeve. Did I like it when i first saw it? No. I wanted to see him go ape shit and destroy things with his Ivy Blades. lol

Or, just go with the easiest answer out there.

Why? Because Konami chose to have him using those weapons. lol

The curse of the GF left Nash in a berserker state. He knew better then anyone that if he used those weapons around people he cared for, lots of uneeded bloodshed would have ensued.

Daggers just fit the situation he was given. Remember, swords weren't the only weapons he was used to using. It's just the most common. Axes, Lances, Gun powder, good ole hand to hand, he had a large arsenal of tricks.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Character Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: