Suikoden Unique and Illegal Kosher Ontic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Objective Correlative
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scarlet Assassin

Disciples of Death

331436 Potch
0 Soldiers
2442517 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 6:47 pm    Post subject: Objective Correlative Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The Objective Correlative is a term that was coined by T.S. Eliot in reference to the poetry of William Wordsworth. It refers to how outside events influence your view on isolated happenings. To give an example, say you wake up in the morning and you're late for work, you get there and your boss is angry, someone spills coffee on you, and then you get a flat tire, so it starts raining. You immediately think "OH IT FIGURES IT WOULD RAIN! DAMN RAIN!" However, if the day goes the opposite way, say you wake up to your favorite song, you have a full tank of gas, get to work to find out they gave you a promotion, and then it starts raining, you think "Ooh, what pretty rain. It'll be great for the environment!"

That is the idea behind the Objective Correlative. However, I'm doing a literature study to see how valid this theory is. I find it to be rather silly as I try not to let events influence my overall outlook. How many of you feel that a sequence of events impacts your mood enough to turn it from "What pretty rain" to "GOD DAMN RAIN!"?

Chief of Beat-em-up Honeys Division, Devoted Protector of Lady Tifa Lockhart
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Oppenheimer

Les monsieurs de Narcisse

256470 Potch
0 Soldiers
1865 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I would probably go "God damn it, now it's raining?!" If I was pissed off. But if I was in a good mood I'd go "This sucks, it's raining. Oh well." I wouldn't be like "Oh yay it's raining because I'm in a good mood." It would still be bad, it's just how patient I'd be with it.

Queen of Falena

579729 Potch
0 Soldiers
2545847 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think mood has a definitive affect on your perspective on things. Your example definitely proves that, and I'm sure others here have had days like that. Although, like Oppenheimer mentioned, the person's personality definitely has something to do with it, and how bad the thing is too.

Personally, I guess I'm a pretty pessimistic person. If I used the example of the rain, I'd say "Fuck, rain." if I was pissed and "Crap, rain." if I were normal or happy. The rain is viewed in a negative way in boths examples for me, but also because I don't really like rain a lot. You know?

Jorge Prima wrote:
What? Our pokemon aren't obeying?

When a problem comes along YOU MUST WHIP IT!
Scarlet Assassin

Disciples of Death

331436 Potch
0 Soldiers
2442517 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It wasn't so much about the example as it is about the idea of it. Does your reaction to things get changed by your experience or mood? Mine doesn't change easily but I was asking you all how much your mood affects your reactions to things.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Yvl

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think the idea works for sure, not just in good mood / bad mood, but in fear as well. For example, if I heard a strange noise in the middle of the night, I'd shrug it off as nothing, but if, say, I woke up from one of my nightmares, went to the computer to find the screen flooded with "666" and then lightning hit the house right next to me, and then I heard a strange sound... I'd want to know what it is.

Actually, now that I think about it, really what it does is that a minor thing amplifies the mood you already have.

Disciples of Death

331436 Potch
0 Soldiers
2442517 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Meh, not getting much of a response in personal. I'm going to move this to community since it could fit there too.

Milan Fiori

Vanguard Elite

715991 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

My mood definitely changes my reaction to things. If I'm in a good mood, I tend to roll with things more. If somebody asks me for a favor, or I need to do something, I'll do it faster and more efficiently if I'm in a good mood. If I'm in a bad mood, I tend to become more aggressive, and lose my temper with people much faster. And when I'm in a bad mood, the tasks I have to do, I drag out and muddle around.

The rain example is great. Because it's something almost everybody thinks about at one point or another. If I'm already pissed I'm just going to hate the day more if it starts raining. But I happen to like going out for walks if the day is warm enough, and in a good mood.

I don't think you can not let your mood affect your reactions to things. Humans are emotional creatures. And that's what your mood is, it's an emotion. Any emotion will affect your reaction to things, and also just because you don't show the reaction outwardly towards people, your inner reaction is most definitely changed.

And I don't know about you Yvl... But no matter how good of a mood I'm in, if I come home and find 666 flooded on my computer screen, I'd be alittle freaked out.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Arenegeth

1978687 Potch
7000 Soldiers
150 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
And I don't know about you Yvl... But no matter how good of a mood I'm in, if I come home and find 666 flooded on my computer screen, I'd be alittle freaked out.

If that happened to me I’ll be wondering why Satan is sending me emails when I told the sucker I’ll call him!

In seriousness and regarding the Rain example of Scarlet Assassin let me say that I like rain. A lot, I wished it rained every other day but yet again I came to associate raining when things go wrong…

For example one day things were going crap for me and the weather wasn’t too good and I was going outside to get a Coffee and be back. Once I stepped out the door it started raining I had no Umbrella but as I said I like rain so that wasn’t really the problem… Thing was that it continued to rain until I came back from the Coffee Shop with my Cappuccino and stopped raining as soon as I went in my house…

It didn’t rain in that area again for the rest of the day…

Despite the pleasantness rain gives me I associated it with the bad happenings of my day due to its timing and social perception since it was smuggled into my mind that when rain starts when things aren’t going well for you is bad…

How many movies, cartoons, books or other assorted works of fiction have you experienced that when someone says “what else could go wrong” it starts raining…

But I have noticed in general that when one thing happens in relation to clumsiness (like spilling your Coffee all over you) another tends to follow and from my personal experience that is due to the irritation of the first event and all that together affects your mood…

However the Objective Correlative is very true for many of us in many situations some times we may not even notice it…
Yohn

Confused Chaquita Banana Minions

464538 Potch
425 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I dunno... I'm only happy when it rains.

XD

I dunno... I'm more likely to be the one if the day's bad to stand out in the middle of the rain, stare up at the sky and think that this might be the only thing soothing. If it was a good day, and everything would start raining I'd probably go out and dance in it. I'm just that kind of person.

"And as the lion slaughters man, I am the wolf and you're the lamb." ~Blind Guardian
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Unless it's snow, I'm never really that bothered by it. As the song goes:

"I love a rainy night!"

(Guitar riff)

I know you have a point Scarlet, I'm not sure if I can remember examples where this applies to me. I'm sure I'm happier when things suit me better, so maybe I am like that, I suppose I'm just sailing through right now blissfully unaware of anything. :P
Ikano

Prince Geass Falenas

2327939 Potch
1337 Soldiers
3028000 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Putting aside any specific examples. Yes in general if a whole line of bad stuff happens to me then I was presented with something that could be good and bad at the end I would be more pissed of then say...having a bunch of good stuff happen to me...

I'd say the opposite applies as well...meaning if alot of good stuff happens to I'm more convinced to do something risky (which usually has a high chance of resulting in something bad/"unlucky") rather than having a normal day and deciding against doing that same "risky" thing

Ah....the psychological nature of us humans is so interesting sometimes

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Archy

PRAISE BE TO... GROOOWL RAINING BLOOD

506257 Potch
0 Soldiers
800 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

In my opinion, I think it does.

Say I start the day perfectly, a good breakfast, get early to school, etc. Then I get a low score on a quiz. My mindset would be something like "Oh well, I guess we you can't get 'em all..." - kinda like a happy-go-lucky attitude. If it's the opposite, the weather is warm (I absolutely hate warm weather, screw the sun!), I strated the day bad with some arguments, etc. and get a good score in a test, my mindset would be something like "Pfff, I got a high score. So what" - kinda like an ignorant attitude.

So, I'm happy-go-lucky when a bad thing happens on a good day, and ignorant when a good thing happens on a bad day. That's me, at least. :P

Celes Tilly wrote:
If one of you were to ask, "Celes, what is Twisted Sister?" I would tell you God's honest truth.

"Butt rock."
Sage

The Invincible Weeds

803820 Potch
0 Soldiers
2 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I can definitely see how this would work and I think it does exist to a degree in most peoples' lives. However, it does not hold true for me. I am a pessimist so I'm always viewing the negative. "That figures" is just a way of life for me. No matter how good my day goes, it doesn't change my views on anything.

Flying Fusillades

222963 Potch
75 Soldiers
3635 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Whats best to do is take a lot of things in life with a grain of salt. Generally the reason why this makes so much sense is because so many people love to sulk in their own self pity. In my opinion self pity is a vicious chain that continous pulls new ideas to feel sorry about, even if they arn't that big of a deal.

A good example was yesterday my cat died. (no joke :() The day continuously got worse as I lost my cellphone. And by the time I returned back to my dorm room, I was in such a negative self destructive mood, when my on girlfriend called and she told me about what she did during the day. I became very down, and the whole evening turned into a real disaster as my conversation/attitude really kind of pushed her away. Of coarse I apologized, and were working on things..but eh. I suggest letting thinigs be.

It'd be nice if people would look more for the positive than negatives. People would probably be a lot happier.

Username

441125 Potch
0 Soldiers
550446 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm afraid Scarlet, on this occasion, I'm going to have to disagree with you. I find it a very valid idea that a negative experience places the person in a negative mindset.

This Friday I wasn't having the best say, so when I eventually get to Middlewood, and find the hut locked. It rains, and my first thought is "Bloody Typical". I then spent the next half an hour moaning about various things.

Later that weekend, I'm enjoying myself, and it starts raining. That time my moods are more along the lines of "What a great atmosphere this creates"
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: