Suikoden United and Illegal Kraalesque Original Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Faylon
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ryusei

Kotetsu

114213 Potch
8500 Soldiers
510 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I doubt the bird was intended for humor. I don't even find it all that funny in the first place.
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ryusei wrote:
I doubt the bird was intended for humor. I don't even find it all that funny in the first place.

Well even if they did put a whole routine around it I doubt it'd be that funny anyway, Suikoden isn't exactly a comical game, but there was definately more jokes and comedy sketches in Suikoden V compared to the rest. Plus Ryusei you don't have a sense of humour. :P ;)
Scrooge McDuck

The Flying Duckmen

885377 Potch
161 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I understand the logic. However, I never get the impression that Faylon is dumb. At least not Bolgan dumb. Hopeless and incompetent, maybe, but he seemed rather sharp (albeit meek).

11331071 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The Homer Simpson picture is compellion evidence... are there any other examples of "bird on head" being used in a similar way... as a way of expressing "simple-mindedness" or something like that?
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Vex, what does the world "compellion" mean? Is that a typo or just a word I don't know.
Vextor

11331071 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Compelling is what I meant, sorry. Don't blame me, I just woke up and I feel like like a rag or something drenched with dog piss.
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

:*laugh*: Okay.

Vextor wrote:
are there any other examples of "bird on head" being used in a similar way... as a way of expressing "simple-mindedness" or something like that?

I swear I've seen it somewhere else as well, I'll try to remember...
Aurelien

1567728 Potch
0 Soldiers
157 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Instead of being simple-minded (with comparison to Homer Simpson, I think that implies to being 'stupid-ish'), I somehow think that Faylon is more of a "peaceful" character.

I'm not sure how to express this part, but in manga or old kung-fu movies, there are parts where the character must become one with the nature by emptying (purifying?) their mind. When one has become one with the nature, it is usually portrayed by how animals come closer and birds landed on the character's head (sometimes even starting to put branches to make bird nest).

So maybe that's also the point of having a bird on Faylon's head? Because I always think that he's a peaceful and earthy kind of guy.

~City-States of Jowston and Tinto Republic~
06.06.2004 - 20.01.2008

Admiral Ackbar

Seekers of Hawke's Hot Stuff

1008758 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I always though the bird was fake, just a decoration. I can't remember when, but I'm pretty sure in one scene where his avatar changes (he looks injured), the bird looks "broken" like it's snapped. I may be mistaken.

I noticed he had a bird on his head the first time I saw him and it always bugged me. I mean...birds can't control their poop. They can't be poop trained. I'd hesitate to see what it looks like behind the bird, if it is real...

^Actual quote!
Masa

Fightin' Nac Mac Feegle

418570 Potch
0 Soldiers
10000 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The bird is obviously the True Rune of Aerodynamics. Why does no one mention it? They can't see it, not even Faylon. Only we as gamers can see it. Konami is obviously subtly hinting at the big future Faylon has in front of him, but without actually revealing what it is.

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I always assumed it was just of those "Big dumb oaf likes nature and so birds magically sense this and land in his hand/on his head" things you often see.

[Lame Alert]Dragon Ball Z's Jinzoningen 16 was the same[/Lame]
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
poorguy171

91805 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think it's nature/peaceful-related too. Also, I don't remember where I saw it, but in different portraits/poses of Faylon, the bird is expressing emotions similar to him (like the hurt Faylon = hurt bird).

I wouldn't really consider Faylon to be stupid or empty-headed, more like simple-minded and peaceful. He definitely shows some depth (such as slapping sense into the Prince).

Demon King's Ambition

41 Potch
1150 Soldiers
25 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Don't Rhino's let Bird's rest on them to warn them of Danger? Or Hippos? I could swear I saw something like that once..Anyway, I always guessed that was to show his position as the big Strong oblivious Guy.

*googles*

Yup..

"The rhino has a symbiotic relationship with oxpeckers, also called tick birds. In Swahili the tick bird is named "askari wa kifaru," meaning "the rhino's guard." The bird eats ticks it finds on the rhino and noisily warns of danger. Although the birds also eat blood from sores on the rhino's skin and thus obstruct healing, they are still tolerated."

Janked from http://www.awf.org/content/wildlife/detail/rhinoceros

To relive those Halcyon days of youth
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I still think my Homer Simpson theory is correct. That or it's just his pet and in Suikoden, Faylon can somehow keep this bird on his head.
Fu Su Lu

Hungry Drunken TigerMen

569802 Potch
3084 Soldiers
800 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I agree. The bird is probably there to show how that head is empty and full of birds (hopes). Anyway I didnt like those characters(Faylen&Faylon) very much, to be sincere...
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Character Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: