Suikoden Urgent and Informational Kosher Objective Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Korean War Flash Movie
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vextor

11331071 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 1:42 am    Post subject: Korean War Flash Movie Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I have been helping Japanese flash artist called "Shoshin" translate some of his flash movies displayed at his site.

http://www.geocities.co.jp/Hollywood-Studio/4559/index.html

I will be translating more of his work because he seems to be very enthusiastic about having his work understood outside Japan, and I believe his falsh movies are incredible and moving.

Below are two flash movies about the Korean War-- Part 1 and Part 2.

Part 1--
http://www.geocities.jp/whis_shosin/koreanwar1950english.swf

Part 2--
http://www.geocities.jp/whis_shosin/koreanwar1951english.swf

Let me know what you all think about it, etc. I'd like to relay the sentiment back to the creator.
Sage

The Invincible Weeds

803820 Potch
0 Soldiers
2 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think the movies are very engaging and hard-hitting. A good deal of it was the tunes, especially part 1, in my opinion and they really complimented the movies. They were the most attention-grabbing, interesting, although brief, historical productions I've seen. May I ask what motivated him to do these?

11331071 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

He made these about a year ago I believe. he made it by popular request of folks in the notrious 2ch.net bulletin boards in Japan.
Vextor

11331071 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Just one comment? I guess people really don't care much about history at this board. That makes me very sad.
Njord

Island Nationeers

218645 Potch
1478 Soldiers
300 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I tried clicking on the two flash links two days ago but nothing really happened, I tried it today and it says it is downloading from the site but nothing shows up, I waited for fifteen minutes but it still the same (it says that it is done, but nothing is happening, not even refresh is doing a thing).

I tried Save Target As and after downloading it, it is still not working (the media center doesn't support this type of file).

I also checked the site but there was no link for the English translation of the flash in it, but I did see the original Korean flash and it is great although I didn't understand much.

The story progress is displayed smoothly, and the music fits the idea of the flash, I liked the first flash's music because it was more war type, I don't know the story of the second flash, so I can't say if the music sounds good with it.

Well, that is all I guess, maybe I'll add more when I watch the translated flash.

Spectacular Slackers

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I thought they were brilliant. Echoing FF6Sage's sentiments, the tracks used really complement the pieces.

I'd have thought MacArthur's wanting to nuke China would be mentioned. But I guess it wasn't because it wasn't discovered until the documents were declassified much later (What an awful looking sentence).

What are the others you're going to translate?
Neclord

The Spectral Nightmares

163602 Potch
2 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

SARSadmin wrote:
Just one comment? I guess people really don't care much about history at this board. That makes me very sad.

Not true, I care about history very much, it has always been a fascinating subject to me.

My Grandfather served in the Korean war so I especially take interest in this. I think they are very well done. Like others before me the music is what makes them so engaging I think. Are more to be done? I would love to see them.

You must not fear death, my lads; defy him, and you drive him into the enemy's ranks.
~ Napoleon Bonaparte
Vextor

11331071 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Glad people like it! I think the direct link I posted can be too much for dial-ups to handle. The Japanese flash on Shoshin's site is significantly smaller.

Next one I will work on is about the siege of Constantinople and end of the Byzantine Empire in 1453. There's a lot of cool strategy in that one!
Sai Fujiwara

Executors of Divine Providence

22038 Potch
0 Soldiers
5678 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

:shock: Holy crap!

That was frickin' AWESOME! Dang, I would've watched these sooner, had I known they'd be this good. :wink: As a history buff, I'm glad to see movies of this nature being produced. My grandpa served in Japan starting in 1945, but he never saw action, and was out of the service before the Korean War hit... As one might imagine, my grandmother was quite afraid of the prospect of him possibly having to go back and fight in Korea. My mother hadn't been born yet, so I have to be pretty darn thankful that he never got called...

Besides, war is hell, and it can scar a person for life. My grandpa is a wonderful man, and I'm not 100% sure he'd be the same person he is today if he had to go through something like that. All those facts at the end were really tragic.

Anyway, if I'm to look at if from a critical standpoint, I must say that the two videos were rather riveting and chock-full of interesting facts. The music was pretty good, and added to the overall feel. If there was ONE thing I would have to be critical of, it's the fact that some of the words seemed to go by too fast for me to catch them. I doubt it's possible to slow it down a little, but there were times when I didn't have enough time to catch everything that flew by. (Sorry, I'm a slow reader. :P ) Anyway, all in all, the films are great! Hope to see more on the way, soon!

Happily Married to the Lovely Lady Chris Lightfellow! :D
Lunarblade

White Wolf Templars

1428 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It won't load for me.... :(

I'd love to see it, I'll try again later. The Constantinople thing REALLY interests me too, I'm really into the history of the Byzantine Empire.

Sinocard wrote:
I dont think I am above women, I think I am above everyone.
Atavaka

Werewolf Brigade

Location: Fort Retto, which just got a Senseo Cappucino Maker ^_^
0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Those were probably two of the best flash movies I've ever seen, especially when you consider the fact that they deal with actual world history.

The research which must've gone into this production had to have been staggering. If the creator continues these trends, I would be very interested in seeing the rest of his or her work (provided it's translated; as great as the visuals are, I doubt they would have the same emotional effect without the words and I can't read Japanese).

Big time kudos to Shoshin.
Kohaku

Red Veil

309182 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

No, I really care about history. The flash movies were good anyway (well at least I pretty much know about Korean wars since I regularly visit Marmot's Blog for this two years).

Anyway SARSadmin, I really like your oppinion in my thread about Israel-Palestine, so would you consider making a thread similar like the one I made? I don't have a new idea about what, sadly. And speaking about war, Indonesia and Malaysia are close to war right now, because of the Malaysian invasion in two of our island (ehm.. the oil filled one) and acclaimed it as their region. The situation is getting hot, and our government have readied our battleships in case war broke up. I really hate this situation, bacause the malaysian come from the same root as we are, we've been friendly for a long time, not to mention that i have a good number of Malay friends. Singapore also hadn't act very friendly toward us (the smuggling cases, too long if I wrote it here). ...I just hope that nothing bad will happen in the southeast asia region...

11331071 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah, the conflict involving the oil-rich Sipadan and Ligitan Islands is becoming a bigger concern, especially after the world court declared that the islands belong to Malaysia. Of course, the world court has their problems because they are lobbied by powerful corporate interests, such as the Royal Dutch/Shell Group, who ended up recieving drilling contratcs from Malaysia along with Malaysia's state-owned Petronas Carigali group. So in a way, this conflict is being caused by large oil companies.

On the side of Indonesia, we see Kellogg, Brown & Root, and Italy's Saipem having a huge stake in Sipadan and Ligitan. Kellog, Brown & Root is owned by none other than Halliburton, who wish to make a lot of money building plants and other infrastructure. Saipem is owned by the Italian oil company, Eni, which in turin is HEAVILY invested in by the "Institute of Religious Works"-- better known as the Vatican Bank.

Who knows if rivalry between powerful energy cartells is behind these conflicts, but they certainly are affecting it. What is worse is these corporations don't care if their profiteering causes massive suffering in the "host" country.

Similar things have happened elsewhere, when the small, oil-rich nation of Sao Tome off the coast of Nigeria had a coup after it refused to cooperate with Exxon Mobil regarding the purchase of offshore blocks. The coup may have been initiated by Exxon Mobil (Exxon Mobil has its own "army" in Africa), because it resolved quickly after Nigeria intervened (Nigeria was also interested in Sao Tome's oil reserves. Now, Exxon and Nigeria are both happily sucking resources out of Sao Tome.

Wars these days seem to be caused by business interets, who hire "governments" as mercenaries to fight for their bottom line. It doesn't help that a lot of governments are getting poorer (such as the USA with it's huge deficit--this makes them depend more havily on corporate donors).
Kohaku

Red Veil

309182 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Wow, so that's the case. It's sad, you know, about how people from both side react to this matters. For example, try visting some famous Malaysian site, and at the time you click, you'll find Indonesian flag opened (our Hacker's job, :cry: ). We Indonesian are apathyst people, but when it come to nationalism, especially the narrow one, we're number one, heck. If only people knew that the main conflict revolve around oils....

11331071 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Nathionalism can be a good thing, because I think people should be proud of their nation. However, it always has the canger of blinding you from reality. Powerful emotions can keep real enemies hidden behind others.

I just saw another flash movie made by a rightist Japanese guy. The movie was about Japanese soldiers who stayed in Indonesia after WWII to fight for Indonesia's independence from the Dutch. It is a fact that sole ex-Japanese soldiers never returned to Japan and chose to fight for Indonesia, but the flash movie made it look as if the Japanese soldiers were "superior," to the Indonesians, "who would have remained slaves to white men if not for Japanese valor," etc. This person was obviously highly nationalistic, but strong belief in anything will bring forth delusions.

Both Malaysia and Indonesia are currently rediscovering their polity after theire respective long-time (despotic) leaders have left their office (Mahatir and Suharto). It'll take a while until democracy will sink into the national polity of both nations.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Media All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: