Suikoden Urgent and Inspirational Knowledge Oblique Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

The SNK Legacy

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Starslasher

Chunks of Chaco-late.

1177790 Potch
300 Soldiers
35 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 3:39 am    Post subject: The SNK Legacy Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm wondering how many people play any SNK games. I'm assuming that if there is any here who do, that they've played it on NeoRage or Mame or other Emulators.

One of my favorite games on SNK is the King of Fighters series. Some people love it, such as I, and some people don't. It's been going on about about a decade, which is about as long as Tekken has been around, i believe. I'm hoping to get KOF:Maximum Impact. But looking at it, it doesn't look like KOF. It looked like a Fatal Fury turned 3D. But if it has K', Iori, Ryo and Mai, then i'll want to get it. I also heard that they are not going to create a KOF 2004, but will make another KOF title. Here are few of the reasons that i like KOF: tons of characters in each game (ranges from a minimum of 30 up to nearly 50 characters to fight with, unlike Tekken 4's 20 or so); a more complex fighting system; and great graphics. While it's absurdly unrealistic compared to Tekken, it looks great!

Samurai Shodown. I don't think there isn't anyone who doesn't like it. If you want to play it, get SSIV. The cool thing about Samurai Shodown IV is the switiching of fighting modes for each character, Bust or Slash. So there is not just 18 characters, but the two different fighting styles make it about 36! Samurai Shodown V is pretty much ruined, like Suikoden IV is, as i've heard from some people. And like SIV, Samurai Shodown V is also a prequel.

There are tons of other beat 'em ups on SNK, such as the Fatal Fury series (latest one Garou:Mark of the Wolves), Art of Fighting, Last Blade and Waku waku 7. All of them have their ups and downs. But most of them are pretty old.

The only other popular SNK game that's not a beat 'em up would be Metal Slug. I played III and IV, but they don't seem that different. Kind of like Dynasty Warriors, where you play through the same plot in each game. But it was great fun, especially with a second person around.

Any other games worth mentioning?

Bork! Bork! Bork!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Deleted User 1

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I play every game no matter what the maker is... which probably would explain a tiny bit about how I found suikoden one and suikoden two... anyway, back on the subject...

I have played quite a few SNK games... mainly the fighting games and the metal slug series...

I also ove the king of fighter series, and that, garodansetsu, wild ambition on the playstation... I think there's that new game, SVC chaos capcom vs SNK... can't really remember but it should be out on the Xbox soon and I think also the playstation two hehehe... it has characters like andy bogard ad terry bogard, ryu, ken and Akuma!!! :twisted: of all the girls in the series of king of fighters, I like Mai (anyone seen the anime lol) and of all the male fighters... well... not sure on that one... but it's definately not Terry Bogard... he's not that good lol...

As for the Metal slug games... well I have played all of them lol, on both the Xbox and the playstation two, metal slug one to four, metal slug X, and such... I think I got some of the names wrong lol but never mind I always rush my posts... okay, I like the latest one... I think it was metal slug four or three on the Xbox which I played last september at the united kingdoms games exibition... well I like the fact that you can turn into zombies LOL I love that... and when you try press the grenade button they vommit out blood that takes up half of the screen or more and destroys almost all enemies lol just great that move and funny looking... and the way that they walk as zombies just kills me lol

I think that these games are the most popular and top quality coming from SNK... and I think it might stay that way for some time ...

JNX out
kagematsuri

Cannon Fodder

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I love Capcom vs SNK 2. Not exactly an SNK game, but I play it more often than KoF. I really can't judge most of the games that well because I've only played the originals, and that was a long time ago. I've been wanting to play Fatal Fury: Mark of the Wolves and the Last Blade for quite some time now, but no stores around me carry Dreamcast games anymore. But I will say that some of these games do have some of the best and coolest fighting game characters I've seen, so they get many points for that.

King of Fighters is alright. I would probably like it more if I knew more people that play (the few I do know prefer Guilty Gear). KoF: Maximum Impact was pretty bad though. I didn't really care for the game itself, but the dubbing made it worse. Actually hearing Mai say "Super deadly ninja bees" just sounds stupid. Oh, and most of the alternate costumes were absolutely awful.
Starslasher

Chunks of Chaco-late.

1177790 Potch
300 Soldiers
35 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

[quote=kagematsuri"]KoF: Maximum Impact was pretty bad though. I didn't really care for the game itself, but the dubbing made it worse. Actually hearing Mai say "Super deadly ninja bees" just sounds stupid. Oh, and most of the alternate costumes were absolutely awful.[/quote]

Yeah, i was pretty bugged about that as well. I was hearing Iori shouting out his "suffer, scream, die!" when he does his Maiden Masher. It sounded a whole lot better in Japanese.

I've played SNKvs. Capcom a little bit...it was great nonethless. But i haven't played all the characters. But for KOF, my favorite characters are Shingo, Mai, Ryo, Terry, K' and Hinako (sumo girl is not that bad one i practiced!). But i don't think Shingo is on SNK vs. Capcom. I am, like, the Shingo master!

Bork! Bork! Bork!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mad Mage

0 Potch
50 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm likely the biggest SNK fan here. I have my own MVS arcade cabinet. I love KoF and Metal Slug and all the greats. Other games worth mentioning are Shock Troopers which is a bit like Metal Slug but top-down, Super Dodge Ball, and Aero Fighters which is a simplistic but incredible shmup. Aero Fighters 2 has like 100 different endings.

There's a bunch of other great SNK games but most would only appeal to die-hard SNK fans.

Anyone looking forward to Neo Geo Battle Coliseum?

Sadly, there's so few KoF players anymore I never have anyone to play with. Everyone's playing Tekken 5.
Starslasher

Chunks of Chaco-late.

1177790 Potch
300 Soldiers
35 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm assuming that this hometown of your Olympia in washington state is kind of small. So, yeah, it'll be hard for you to find any KOF players. Fortunately for me, living in Jakarta, my best friends play KOF wiht me on the school computers 8) Pretty cool, eh?

But i'm more looking forward to Tekken 5 then i am of KOF: Maximum Impact.

And i don't think i heard about this Neo Geo Battle Coliseum? Can you tell me a bit more about it?

Bork! Bork! Bork!
Mad Mage

0 Potch
50 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

SNK has started publishing their games for the Atomiswave - a new arcade platform by Sammy. Their first game was KoF: Neowave, which is a KoF remix game similar to 2K2 but with enhancements not possible on the 'Neo. Their next game, Neo Geo Battle Coliseum, will come out this Summer. It's premise is very similar to KoF, take characters from all SNK franchises and put them together in a fighting game. Notable series the game will take characters from are Last Blade, Samurai Showdown, Metal Slug!!!, and of course plenty from KoF.

Maximum Impact was very average and I would only recommend it as a rental. It's even cheap now and I still won't buy it. The best thing about it for me was the novelty of seeing KoF characters in 3D.

As for being able to play KoF with you friends, yes that's pretty cool. I wish Olympians were as fighting-game-enlightened as you guys. Though the fact that you play it (presumably emulated) on a computer, lessons that coolness.

The thing I love about this site is everyone's uncanny shared taste in video games. I suppose smart gamers think alike.
Starslasher

Chunks of Chaco-late.

1177790 Potch
300 Soldiers
35 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

HAHAHA!!! *stands arrogantly* YES! *Smiles, teeth gleaming* SMART GAMERS DO THINK ALIKE

*muscular pose* UGH! *another muscular pose* ARGH!

BUT WHAT IS GREAT IS DIVERSITY! *points to the heavens* FOR DIVERSITY IS WHAT BRINGS THE SURVIAL OF THE FITTEST! OH YEAH!

AND THEREFORE SMART GAMERS HAVE DIVERSE TASTES! *zoom into Starslasher's handsome face* AND ALL SMART GAMERS GO TO SUIKOX DOT COM!! *banner reads: go to "www.suikox.com"* HAHA!

Bork! Bork! Bork!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: