Suikoden Unique and Infamous Knowledge Oblique Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Empty Feeling
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marth

Pancake Masters

4500 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 12:40 pm    Post subject: Empty Feeling Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

This is a feeling you get when you beat a really fun game like suikoden 4 tales or anyother one.. But now that i've beating them all I got nothing to do. sometimes and i just get bored.. Is there any fun games out there for Gamecube or PS2 that will get me not being bored? I'm think or renting that Xenosaga game but it looks weird.. :? can anyone give me Advice on which game a should rent?

EDIT: Ranadiel is right this should be in the game & animation thing

Last edited by Marth on Wed Mar 02, 2005 1:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ranadiel

The Squirrel Mob

68112 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I personally don't ever really get this feeling. I generally move onto another game when I beat one. If I don't have a new game I just replay an old game.

Now then for reccomendations for games. A couple of good games for Gamecube are Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 + 2 and Skies of Arcadia Legends(I believe I got those names right). I would reccomend Xenosaga Episode 1 for PS2. Episode 2 is good but you should play 1 first. I know that there are a few other games that I would reccomend, but I can't think of them right now.

As a side note wouldn't this be more appropriate in the video games part of the forums?
Shrew

The All-Star Rock n' Breakdance Electronic Band from Shenzhen

237023 Potch
110 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah, it's moved now. It should feel much more at home here.

Anyway, I understand what you mean by that feeling, as RPGs take a lot of time and effort. Especially if you beat a bad RPG, you can feel exhausted both mentally and physically. Good RPGs generally don't leave me with that, just a desire to replay it or move on.

As for what's out right now? Xenosaga is good yes, but definitely not liked universally. If you can find Xenogears that might be more worth your time. Unless you don't like playing old PSX RPGs. Uhh... yeah, I can't think of much right now. It really depends on your tastes.

Fear our Vagueness.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Beecham

Wind In The Grass

33221 Potch
75 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

If you don't mind PSX games, then I recommend Vagrant Story. Quite possibly the best game ever to be developed for that system, graphically, plot-wise and maybe gameplay wise as well.
Lunarblade

White Wolf Templars

1428 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Vagrant Story didn't do much for me, to be honest...I prefered Xenogears, but good luck finding it.

If you're looking for something fun that'll keep you occupied, then try Dynasty Warriors 5 coming out later this month...that game will take you forever.

Or, barring that, try Disgaea, THAT will take you forever too.

Sinocard wrote:
I dont think I am above women, I think I am above everyone.
Jurhael

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
sometimes and i just get bored.. Is there any fun games out there for Gamecube or PS2 that will get me not being bored? I'm think or renting that Xenosaga game but it looks weird.. Confused can anyone give me Advice on which game a should rent?

Star Ocean 2 and 3 would be an excellent choice, IMO, because of the simple fact that the battle system is the best battle system in the whole entire universe. Unless, you hate active time battle sort of things. Have you played Kingdom Hearts? I've found it fun, but not quite the crack that many people say it is. The Persona Series or Shim Megami Tensai: Nocturne could work well too because they're so different than what other Role-Playing Games have to offer.

I don't actually get an empty feeling after beating the game. If anything, I get a feeling of euphoria mixed with some sadness now that I've finished the game. That's why it sometimes takes me forever to get the final boss, but that tends to be true with turn based sort of things rather than active battles.

I second Vagrant Story. Now there's a game that's crack and a load of fun too!
Beecham

Wind In The Grass

33221 Potch
75 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Vagrant Story didn't do much for you? My God, I was utterly blown away by the plot; no other game had so rich a story as VS, that I've ever seen. I've also never replayed a game nearly as many times as I have VS, and that includes Suikoden. I had played with the idea of crafting the perfect armor, but gave up after my sixth playthrough. I think I needed sixteen playthroughs total to forge that armor. That would have been a true status symbol to brag about, but I forget what came along and distracted me. Now the game is lost [even though I still have the saved games] otherwise I'd take up the quest again.
Deleted User 1

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I have been getting this feeling and if not then something around the areas of this... emptiness... instead I tend to have gotten the idea into my head that there are no games right now that I am bothered to play because they are all the same or I have played them before and such... but to help my problems of this emptiness... I have my love for anime :P without this I would probably go out to mates... and if not that then I would become a sad loser... lol... I should get a job... but I have to wait till chritstmas to be able to work in GAME... which is when they will have space for me... oh man :cry:

I was recommended a few games by some great people here... (in my recommend a Role playing game thread I think...) and well... I am on the track of getting those games, but really, not a lot of people are downloading those games which is making it rather annoying and difficult to find at the moment, not to mention slow downloads which could make seven hundred megabytes downloads finish in a minimum of five to six hours which is rather long compaered to what I normally or how fast I normally get things of that size... around two to three hours minimum, four hours maximum... that is with more than fifty peers and seeds per side anyway lol... got to help others while helping myself ya know? :P

Vagrant story seemed rather... well... not all that for me.... it lacks certain things that would have made it a great game and a part of my top five favourites... suikoden one, chrono cross, legend of mana, suikoden two... and I don't know what the last one really is... can't make my mind up really lol...

Star Ocean one and two I have just recently had a mate (VAD) who has recently finished getting it... and am waiting for a review from him... but at a time like this, I don't think I give a shhhh.... about reviews... I am desperate to play games!!! dynasty warriors five... I ain't got a playstation two anymore so I guess I have to wait for it to hopefully come out on the Xbox in later months ... oh... :cry:

Well... I don't get an empty feeling after beating a game... just when I have completed the game over five times and know everything including the lines from almost every non-playable-character in the game lol

JNX out
Starslasher

Chunks of Chaco-late.

1177790 Potch
300 Soldiers
35 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

If you're bored, Marth, then you can just go replay the classics. Xenosaga is worth some time. Granted it's got some flaws.

And i also would like to add one more to tally the vote for Vagrant Story. The gameplay is truly real time, and it is truly 3D. Great plot, customisation and battle system. If there is anything negative to say about it, it is that it's not so easy. My friends and I had some difficulty in the beggining of the game. That would discourage alot of people from going further. But it will pay off once you persevere. Strongly recommend you get your hands on it wherever possible.

The Dynasty Warriors games are always good multiplayer fun. It doesn't matter too much if you do DW3 or 4 or 5. I have yet to play 5, actually. Would like to get my hands on it, but i must get my hands on Suikoden IV and then finish Star Ocean 3.

Oh yes. Star Ocean 3 would be welcomed by anyone, unless you already have it. Enix and Tri-Ace make wonderful Japanese RPGs. The Star Ocean games and Valkyrie Profile i highly recommend. Oh Valkyrie! :D

Jurhael mentioned Kingdom Hearts. If you haven't played it, i suggest you at least take a look at it. No, not from the Internet. At hand. It looks very nice, as pretty much all Square games do. But there is some mixed opinions on it. While it's got some FF cameos, it's surreal to have it next to Disney characters. Your choice.

Bork! Bork! Bork!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
karaya blue

2628 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I get that feeling too, Marth. The one game that sticks out in my mind is Chrono Trigger. The story was so involving and incredible, that once the game finished, I just felt sad. Suikoden III almost gave me the same feeling, until I realized that I still had Luc's chapter to play through...

There are a lot of fun RPGs out there that you could probably find used at EB Games or Gamestop. LunarBlade mentioned Disgaea, and I agree... That game is pretty addictive, but it takes forever to beat because there's so much you can do. Almost every item in that game can be used to generate random dungeons, so you're given plenty of opportunities to level up your characters as well as strengthening your items after finishing the dungeon. Oh, and if you're one of those "Level 99" perfectionists, then this game will keep you busy for years. Your characters can go well beyond level 10,000. The story is pretty deep, despite the characters' "cutesy" anime look. Also, be prepared for a lot of funny stuff... The dialogue between characters is hilarious. Don't know if you're into strategy RPGs, but if you are, then I can't recommend this game enough. It will sap up a lot of your time.
Weyoun

Jem'Hadar

221521 Potch
100 Soldiers
5 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I also get the feeling that after you beat a fun game you got nothing else to do.

I mosly play Metal Gear Solid 2 but im looking at Metal Gear Solid 3 and it looks like a cool game.

Ive gone twice to Hollywood video (the video store here in Clifton Park N.Y.) they didnt have MGS3 and i didnt feel like getting Xenosaga because i probably wouldnt play it.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Barbarossa Rugner

The Golden Mercenaries

5685455 Potch
15000 Soldiers
650 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yea i feel something similar whenever i beat a long game. I don't think it is so much a lonely feeling, but rather a feeling of accomplishment with a little regret. I think the regret comes from not extending the gameplay so i could play longer. It seems whenever i beat a Final Fantasy i get this type of feeling.

I remember when i beat Final Fantasy 8 i kinda of felt like this. You get so used to the characters and their experiences that, as pathetic as it sounds, you miss a video game character. What this often prompts me to do is to start the game over right away. I usually end up playing until i save for the first time and turn the machine off. After that i lose interest in the game which i have already beat and rarely replay it again. With the exeption of the Suikoden series of course.

Something about the suikoden games doesn't usually give me this because i know how enjoyable it is to replay the same game over again. There is always something i missed or a major battle i would like to replay in a different way so that no game is exactly the same. I guess the same could be said for any rpg, but for me and many of you here the suikoden series is just special.

I am so busy now that i barely have time to beat one game much less replay ones i have already beaten. But to sum up what i have been saying, i too get that since of emptyness when beating any game that has taken me weeks and sometimes months to finish.

The Rune on my Sword, the Dragon King Sword, is protected against any form of magic, Even the rune of the Gate - Barbarossa Rugner
Sage

The Invincible Weeds

803820 Potch
0 Soldiers
2 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I got a really empty feeling when a buddy and I beat Halo 2...no RPG has done that for me yet. Granted, some of the older games lack the graphically appealling endings of today's games, but I haven't had an empty feeling. Non-RPG's do that a lot for me. Devil May Cry 2 was one of those (I know, I shouldn't have bothered :( ).

My recommendation is pick up any of the newer big name RPGs (they tend not to disappoint, but it's not guaranteed) or one of the classic games mentioned like Xenogears or Vagrant Story. They're called classics and bestsellers for a reason.

Sacred Guards

39804 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

Yea i feel something similar whenever i beat a long game. I don't think it is so much a lonely feeling, but rather a feeling of accomplishment with a little regret. I think the regret comes from not extending the gameplay so i could play longer. It seems whenever i beat a Final Fantasy i get this type of feeling.

Me too. After i have first finished playing Final Fantasy X for the first time, i felt like i have been at the end of a very long, long road where i had to bid farewell to all the friends that i have encountered during the long and perilous journey. It's like you have to finally stop doing the thing that pleasures you the most for countless of hours.

Perhaps this is what they call a 'withdrawal symptom'.
Sierra Mikain

Blue Moon

19500 Potch
0 Soldiers
666 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I get that feeling all the time, but I deal with it in a different way. When I feel the game starts to get close to the end, a lot of times I get very bored. I think it's anticipation of the feeling coming on and subconsciously I make myself stop playing. I have about ten to fifteen games that I own that I'm very near the end and haven't beat yet. The only way I can get the entire way though the game is if the game has a story that I really want to know the ending to.

I get the same way when I finish a book too, but I usually finish it. :mrgreen:

There is a way to beat that feeling though. Just play some really bad games and then instead of stress and some depression, you'll feel relief and excitedness when you put away that final boss. My suggestion: Star Ocean:TtEoT. It's very long and I'm not sure where the good part is.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: