Suikoden Ugly and Inspirational Keystone Objective Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

The "What do you like most about Suikoden" Poll
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

What do you like most about Suikoden?
The lack of "save the world!" plot
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
Recruitment of 108 characters
12%
 12%  [ 11 ]
Innoovative weapon system
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Well developed history/setting
21%
 21%  [ 20 ]
Not so much fantasy but more medieval
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
Minigames
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
The characters
15%
 15%  [ 14 ]
Theme emphasizes gray area between good/evil
7%
 7%  [ 7 ]
The music
2%
 2%  [ 2 ]
The general plotline
9%
 9%  [ 9 ]
Politics and strategies
13%
 13%  [ 12 ]
The emotion described, conveyed, and conjured
7%
 7%  [ 7 ]
How the story is aimed towards an older audience
6%
 6%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 91

OrangeWarrior

Piercing Rain

253189 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'd have to say the characters, for they are unique, and all play some role if just the tiniest.
Filipe

The Executors of Harmonian Order

35712 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I have always found that the politics and strategy portion of the game has always peaked my interest and such. I mean they are what get the games set into motion and keep it interesting till the very end. Especially with the second game in the series the twists kept coming and all over the place you had backstabbing and lying and evil political methods it kept you intrigued at all times.

Of course the well developed history and storyline all the way back came in at a very very close second in my books and they only add to the mystique of the series. I hope never to see a complete and total end to this series and perhaps they could make spin off games based on some of the more developed characters of the series story wise. Like Geddoe and that guy from Le Boque starting a Harmonian rebellion which eventually overthrows the goverment. If not the final Suikoden game than perhaps an rpg based off of the series. Thats what I would personally like to see in the future but it will probably never happen.

Jem'Hadar

221521 Potch
100 Soldiers
5 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Id have to say the music, because the Suikoden music is some of the best RPG music ive ever neard.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Raze

Shinigami

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Here's a reason why I loved the Suiko series that's not a choice: The Villians. Most games these days have these cheap, "misunderstood" villians who you have to fight, but not Suikoden...well, aside from SuikoIII... >.>;

Cases in point:

Suikoden had Windy. Windy was a power-hungry, sadistic villian. She tried to use Ted against McDohl, so she could take the Souleater for revenge and bloodshed.

Suikoden II had Luca Blight. Luca has got to be the most badass villian period. Forget Sephiroth, Luca would beat the crap out of that effeminate momma's boy with an Oedipus complex any time.

but that aside, the story always kicked ass.

Rend. Slaughter. Devour your enemies. There is no other way to survive. You cannot escape your hunger, warriors of Purgatory.
Neclord

The Spectral Nightmares

163602 Potch
2 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hard to choose just one, I picked 108 characters.

Reason being that Suikoden has always been centered around this. Some misfortune happens then you collect allies sympathetic to your cause and build an army this way. That has always been a big factor in why I love the series so much. I think if it was ever taken away I would not like Suikoden any longer...I would still play it mind you, but I would't like it! 8)

That leads into another reason why I enjoy the series. The storyline and characters, even if the main reason I like the series is taken away, (the 108 stars) I would still play it because the story and characters have always been alluring and interesting. (well most of the time) Not many games where you actually care what happens to the characters and want to know more and more about them. Just take this board for example. People here talk about the characters give theories as to their history. I do not know many games that generate that kind of response and intrique.

To wrap things up, I could choose every option really because all of it combined makes the games great. I am sure many agree.

You must not fear death, my lads; defy him, and you drive him into the enemy's ranks.
~ Napoleon Bonaparte
Djungelurban

145425 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm definitely a "grey scale" kind off Suikofan. To me that's what make this whole universe seem real. Cause that's how people are, they have their own perspective and no one really considers themselves evil. If you're with them you think they're good and if you're against them you think they're bad. It's as simple as that. That's why Suikoden work so well.
When you're at the end of Suikoden III and finally understand why Luc is doing what he does you actually become sort of sympathetic towards his cause, even though you're clearly not going to let him go through with it. But in a bigger picture you're actually, in a way, the evil one and Luc is actually trying to save the world. That's why Suikoden is the best game series in the history of man.
Scarlet Assassin

Disciples of Death

331436 Potch
0 Soldiers
2442517 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I chose the "well developed history/setting" because I've simply never felt more immersed in a game before. hell, I've never been that overloaded with national information of deep ties and alliances that date back centuries in any BOOK. Suikoden presents you with more than you're used to from a video game. It gives you a living, breathing, ever-changing world where you can believe that everything is real. In this way, the SUikoden world IS real. I doubt that many (if any) of the members of this board will ever forget the capital of the Toran Republic, but ask them the capital of Saudi Arabia and most would be dumbfounded (It's Riyadh btw)

Chief of Beat-em-up Honeys Division, Devoted Protector of Lady Tifa Lockhart
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Zaleria

1296207 Potch
13650 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

the emotions...
there are times you'll cry out of laughter and times when you weep out of sadness.
there are also times when anger takes over when you are betrayed.
times of joy when you achieve victory and times when you ponder the events that has taken place.
special mentions:
the lack of the save the world thingy and the medieval setting. i love medieval games and so far suikoden is the best.
and the 108 stars and storyline are just so unique that it allows suikoden to be able to compete w/ game giants like final fantasy

Tonby, while I'm not in Zexen wrote:

I just noticed that if you turn Zexen Activity Levels into an acronym, it makes ZAL. Oh the irony! =P
Ryusei

Kotetsu

114213 Potch
8500 Soldiers
510 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

If I could, I would have chosen all of the choices. But seeing as I can only choose one, I picked "The general plotline." Suikoden is one of them few games which has a plotline that really fascinates me. The twists, the depth, everything about the plotline is just magnificent. The plot sticks into your memory just when you witness it, and that's what I like about it.
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

What hooked me into the series was how developed the history and world of Suikoden turned out to be. It still continues to grow which is why it still brings me back whenever a new game in the series comes out.

6724 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I would say

1. The characters (riou,jowy,tir,gremio,ted,flik,victor,luca,odessa,etc)

2. The general plotline (son rebels against father and corrupt empire. best friends/brothers destined to fight each other to end a war, etc.)

3. The emotion (all the things included and brought about by the previous two. Deaths, hapiness, victories, excitement, fear, worry, etc. Based off the interaction between the characters and general plotline)

I think that sums it up quite nicely.
Sparhawk

Lords of Foolishness

207476 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I like the plot in all the suikodens...Thoroughly engaging...

Lonelion's Naval Fleet.

4727 Potch
106 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I chose the general plotline,because it is truely one of a kind,nothing else comes close to it.

http://www.myspace.com/lonelion7769
http://www.duefiumi.com
http://z6.invisionfree.com/suikocross
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Assassin01

Team Assassination

575125 Potch
200 Soldiers
900 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I would have to say the process of attempting to recruit all 108 Stars Of Destiny is a great part of Suikoden and i usually have a lot of fun trying to find them all without the use of a guide. However that does not usually happen. Its on the second playthrough that i got all 108 Stars Of Destiny, and i like the special ending you get at the end of the game. To me its like the reward of getting all 108 characters.
MMan9000
Ralphy Leone Tensei
Lymsleia Falenas
PesmergaS

Fallen Angel

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I chose well developed history/setting, but basically I would choose everything, from the characters, music, the plotlin, emotions etc. etc. these are all elements that make Suikoden so goo. The two things that lack for commercial success are advertisement and better graphics, but besides that Suikoden can own any other RPG in any given element.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: