Suikoden Utopian and Illegal Karma Objective Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

The Best Death in Suikoden
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 16, 17, 18  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Leb

Pizza Toppings

497133 Potch
936 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Too bad that "utter cop-out" is what they went with, eh?
Jhee Family Estate

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Too bad, indeed.
Sualtam Lugh

Grey of Macha

56109 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

the good ending's an utter cop-out

I don't think it is. The ending, where Jowy survives shows that friendship can survive through a war, even if you and the enemy's leader are best friends. I think that's more important then anything altogether in Suikoden 2. In fact, that's the reason Jowy was able to keep his life. Because Riou couldn't kill his friend, Jowy was allowed to continue living, without pain from his rune.

**** people dying, to make an ending good. Otherwise you could just do another Aeris thing to milk emotion. And we know how original that is.
Jhee Family Estate

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Oh, but that's just so hackneyed and full of fluff. In essence, it renders the span of the game's conflict meaningless. I'm not a proponent of random killings to "milk" emotion; films that make a concentrated effort to do such things are among the worst sorts. There are some things that simply make sense, however. Jowy and Riou running off to play after fighting so fiercely is not one of them.

"Friendship can survive through a war" sounds like the moral of an epic after-school special, not Suikoden.
Rheo

Here and There

0 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

And here I thought all along that the best ending was to show that "human can change fate"

The Black Sword and Bright Shield's bearers are fated to fight to death, it took a whole war and the stubbornness of Riou plus the will of the 108 stars for the runes to compromise with them.

Afterall, "Is fate unchangeable?" is a theme in Suikoden

Grey of Macha

56109 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Indeed it is Rheo, Indeed it is. Of course, that's assuming there is such thing as fate.

And I don't see what I said to be "an after school special" theme.
I think it fits in quite nicely.
Saben

The High Order of Order

11153 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I can't really say which death I found the best, all of them struck me in different ways. I think perhaps the death or deaths that effected me the most were when the Village of the Elves was burnt to the ground in Suikoden 1. The utter hopelessness after all Kirkis and everyone else had gone through to have peace throughout the region only to have it all crumble right before their eyes, I think that might actually be the closest I have been to crying during a Suikoden game, when you go into the Destroyed Elven Village and see that it IS really gone (I had been hoping that it was just an illusion) and the Theme of Sadness starts playing. To me hopelessness is one of the most powerful negative emotions I feel, I can deal with grief, but wasted effort and being powerless to change things, to me that is even stronger.

That is why despite his stupidity I respect Luc so much and his death kind of struck me hard as well. To the end he wanted to defy fate, he hated being a prisoner and his sense of self pride and dignity would not allow him to be one. He was doing the only thing he knew how to do to try and not only safe himself and escape his fate, but to help the future of humankind to escape theirs. He saw the heartache Tir McDohl and Riou went through and during those first two wars he was just resigned to his role and being a prisoner (when he dies in the first games his line is something like "This is my fate") but by Suikoden III he breaks out of that and refuses to be a victim any longer.

All the deaths mentioned so far were pretty significant in different ways though I agree Jimba was kind of ripped off (actually so was the Flame Champion). I think that Jimba could have had a much more potent death and the Flame Champion's death should have been shown, too.

Luca was the most enjoyable battle of any of the 'normal' battles in the series, the three wave attack (Riou, Badeaux, Feather and Sigfried really kick major arse for the last wave, two Beserked large creatures doing a unite wipes him out within 2-3 rounds) and I found his pride to the end significant, even though I don't respect him for it. He is a great character, even though as a person I despise him and think he should grow up.

Solon, Kiba and Ain Gide (I don't believe he hasn't been mentioned, he shows just as much loyalty as Seed and Culgan, he just isn't as attractive :P) were both awful deaths, just because they were so preventable, but they were just like "damn, that sucks" more than any of the emotions I felt with Gremio and Nanami for example. Gremio I think had the worst death out of any character. Being hit by an arrow or beheaded is easy enough to deal with, but eaten alive by man-eating spores while still talking, that is awful. I was always annoyed by Gremio shoving himself into my party (since his magic sucked) and was even more annoyed when he insisted on coming to Milich's region with me when I told him to stay home, but I still felt an emptiness when he wasn't around to bug me anymore.

Ted's death I found mediocre overall, but him demanding to be killed so he wouldn't be turned against his friend was pretty tragic. He couldn't even commit sucide because Windy had turned him into a puppet, but he used whatever power he still had to ensure he would not turn against his own friends. His grandpa's death was pretty cruel as well considering he was just a kid, similarly the death of Pilika's parents was annoying (if they would have lived then we would never have got stuck with the brat).

Ummm, yeah, so there are few deaths in Suikoden that I think are badly executed deaths and I don't feel any are so badly done as Aeris, not even Lulu was that bad. Lulu was probably the most annoyingly ignorant and closed minded character in the series but he was still just a kid, a stupid kid, but he should never have died and his death struck me almost more because of how it effected Chris than how it effected Hugo.

Also Yun's death I found interesting and I'm surprised no one has mentioned it. I actually found her death kind of meaningless as the whole thing with the seals on the runes kind of confused me, but even so I wish Chris would have just let Luc unseal the Alma Kinan seal but in some ways I respected Yun a lot for dying in her beliefs, too. I still think the Village of the Elves stuck me most, however, even though all the deaths to me were necessary.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Marshmallow

Shikigami

203358 Potch
110 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I personally hated Yun. She was an aloof b**** for most of the time you meet her, and since she's soooooooo important. She was also a super-annoying feminist (or at least that's how I saw her) and she was kind of condescending to all the males she met, even the ones who respected her.

I also LIKED Lulu, though I really don't know why. He seemed like a nice enough kid, and the reason for his ignorance was just that; he WAS a kid, and due to the tension of the Grasslands and Zexen, I doubt he ever learned anything good about Zexen.
Njord

Island Nationeers

218645 Potch
1478 Soldiers
300 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

In my opnion the best one is odessa because she was the true leader that died fighting for what she believe in that is the liberation of her people.

Next to her is the death of barbarosa who sacrificed every thing he had for his love.

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Gremio's death for sure. It was so noble! he sacrificed his own life only to protect his young master. I really cried my eyes out on that part.

Second, Luca's death. He was really my favorite bad-ass. So insane, so cool ^_^

my least favorite was odessa, she could even make me feel bad when she died. Really.... She was really uncool :P

Anyway, Gremio's death was the bomb for me T_T
Deleted User 1

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The death that gets to me the most is still Odessa's.

I actually knew she was going to die before I saw the scene and it still really affected me.

She sacrifices everything in one split second decsion...
suikoguild

Magicians With Attitude

0 Potch
150 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

THe best death is Culgan and Seed

Grey of Macha

56109 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Can we agree that they all had good significance to the story and were all equally badass for different reasons?

Gremio cause he gave his life up for his master
Odessa cause she gave her life up for what she believed
Culgan and Seed cause they were badass
Yun because she was.....**** Yun.
Gwendal

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hmm...I`d probably have to say Teo McDohl. It`s the one I find most touching, and it has great music as well. Gremio would come in second place. ÃŒn any case, I respect the Suikoden series for having the guts to kill off some of its characters. Not many RPGs do that, it seems...at least not major characters the way Suikoden does.

The Wandering Prophets

410837 Potch
300 Soldiers
835 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I can think of a few different deaths that aI think are the best for different reasons.

The first is Kiba's death. i think this is one of the most emotionally charged deaths of the Suikoden world. You have Kiba departing to his ddeath with his few soldiers, knowing full and well waht willhappen to him. it reallymade Kiba's character complete and made me respect him entirely. So for character development and emotion, I have to go with Kiba.

Second is Luca's death. there was no other death more satisfying than this one. You get such a delight in vanquishing this unstoppable evil force. It's like he says as he dies, it took hundreds to bring him down. He was just this unstoppable and every time you hit him you wonder if it's doing anything to him or not and finally he dies.

Third is Gremio's death. This, to me, is the saddest death of them all. It's a lot like Kiba's in it's selflessness and duty bound death, but it is so sad in the way he parts with Tir. His fainla words and how he's descrtibing how he's dieing, how he can't feel his legs and more, how he can't see after that. The music in the background setting the tragic tone even more tragic. And then the cape and hatchet left over, still sitting there, it's so sad.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 3 of 18

Jump to: