Suikoden Unique and Irenic Karma Original Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

79th Academy Awards Predictions
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sophita

The Wee Kitty Grand Duke Defense Brigade

498078 Potch
1330 Soldiers
2725 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ladies and Gentlemen, Martin Scorcese finally has an oscar.

SCII month continues! DueFiumi.com
John Layfield wrote:
But bubbles... children love bubbles! XD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Thor McOdin

Stupid Sexy Flanders!

1757439 Potch
4444 Soldiers
4225 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The Departed. Hell yeah. That's all I have to say.

Not all ninja codes are brewed equally. Here at Shinobi, we use the choicest Bavarian hops that are ripened to perfection. One sip and we will have you saying...nothing.
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Glad for Marty for finally getting the statue. Not his best film for him to win the little guy, but better than nothing. The only one missing on the stage when he got the statue was Woody Allen and you'd have 5 of the greatest American directors of their generation on stage.

The All-Star Rock n' Breakdance Electronic Band from Shenzhen

237023 Potch
110 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hey wow, I swept all three of the short films. I guess the Academy also uses my first film/last film on the list selection process.

I'm surprised that The Departed won. Still, I think this was a pretty close year, and nothing really ran away with the prize. Even if The Departed isn't the best picture ever, it's still one that most everyone can agree is decent enough, and won't cause another Crash uproar like Little Miss Sunshine/Babel/Cancer. And heh, Dreamgirls lost the Best Song. Hilarious.

Pan's Labyrinth losing was also a bit of a surprise, considering it managed to pick up Art Direction and Cinematography. I won't say anything about The Lives of Others, since I didn't get a chance to see it.

However, someone needs to die for taking away Children of Men's Cinematography award. I mean this with all sincerity. I have nothing against Pan's Labyrinth, but not only did Children of Men need to win something like that baby needs to stop crying, but the cinematography was fantastic.

And yay for Martin Scorsese.

Fear our Vagueness.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sophita wrote:
Ladies and Gentlemen, Martin Scorcese finally has an oscar.

I am happy about this, it's about time, although you get the feeling it may have not been just for the movie, but the fact he's Martin Scorcese. :)
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Shrew wrote:

Pan's Labyrinth losing was also a bit of a surprise, considering it managed to pick up Art Direction and Cinematography. I won't say anything about The Lives of Others, since I didn't get a chance to see it.

However, someone needs to die for taking away Children of Men's Cinematography award. I mean this with all sincerity. I have nothing against Pan's Labyrinth, but not only did Children of Men need to win something like that baby needs to stop crying, but the cinematography was fantastic.

And yay for Martin Scorsese.

Yes, I was also surprised that The Lives of Others beat out Pan's Labyrinth. That German entry was very good, but not as good as Del Toro's fantasy. And I think that's where Del Toro pretty much lost the Best Foreign Film statue. His film was a fantasy. Jackson's Lord of the Rings is starting to look more and more an anomaly. I always wondered why Academy voters always give genre films the shortshaft when it comes to voting time. Genre films to me have always been the harder type of film to make since alot depends on the director, the script and execution of the production to make the audience suspend their disbelief and buy into whats going on the screen.

The fact that Children of Men lost out in Film Editing to The Departed ( a very good film but not as complex and as difficult to edit as Cuaron's scifi-dystopia) just reinforces the Academy's aversion to things scifi/fantasy/horror. I knew that once William Monahan won for Best Adapted Screenplay for The Departed that Scorcese will win and the film will win Best Picture.

Funny how of the four directors on stage Lucas was the only one without a Best Director statue yet he's probably not going to cry much over that fact. He has 3-5 billion dollars to console him when he gets home.

We need a new host for next year. Jery Seinfeld's three minutes of stand-up before announcing the best Documentary prize was better than the 3+ hours that Ellen DeGeneres did. They already had Jon Stewart host the show. Either they pay whatever Seinfeld wants next year or convince Stephen Colbert to host it. Now that is a show I'd watch just to see Colbert do his thing.

The All-Star Rock n' Breakdance Electronic Band from Shenzhen

237023 Potch
110 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
And I think that's where Del Toro pretty much lost the Best Foreign Film statue. His film was a fantasy. Jackson's Lord of the Rings is starting to look more and more an anomaly. I always wondered why Academy voters always give genre films the shortshaft when it comes to voting time. Genre films to me have always been the harder type of film to make since alot depends on the director, the script and execution of the production to make the audience suspend their disbelief and buy into whats going on the screen.

The reverse of that is people come pre-equipped with their suspension of disbelief when they see a sci-fi/fantasy film. You don't have to convince the audience this is possible, because they know it's impossible. Non-genre movies have a very fragile suspension of disbelief if you think about it. How many times have you heard "That doesn't make any sense, That would never happen in real life, That person wouldn't have done that, People don't actually talk like that", etc? I don't usually hear those complaints spoken about a genre film.

You also get the chance to fill the screen with all sorts of excitement and amazing spectacles. In my opinion, it's more difficult to elicit the same sort of rapt attention from reality. I'm not knocking fantasy, but I don't think it's any more difficult to create than non-genre film. They both have their own drawbacks and advantages.

Part of why I like Children of Men so much is that it's a genre film without using any of the usual genre film gimmicks. It looks and feels like a non-genre film with a genre plot. It's snubbing in the awards and nominations is a shame.

Though I think editing is simply more a case of laziness/lack of interest rather than a dislike of Sci-fi. I think it's an award that just goes to the Best Picture, because most of the voters don't really know what's up-- they get sucked in by the gravity of the Best Picture category. So it's not really snubbing the genre picture.

Fear our Vagueness.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, for the general audience suspension of disbelief would be much easier since they go to see movies to be entertained and to lose themselves in the story. Academy voters on the other hand seem to go the opposite. If Pan's had a retarded, deaf-mute child for the character of Ofelia I think it would've won that award outright if not the Best Picture. Academy voters equate reality as being better than fantasy when in the past that's rarely the case.

Even when it's not a genre film but full on fight between dramatic films they still get it wrong hence we get such past winners as Crash, Shakespeare In Love and The English Patient over films which deserve to win those awards more. I think what would've made last night even more pointless was if Little Miss Sunshine had won for Best Picture. I'm still not believing that it had won Best Original Screenplay. Am I the only one who thinks that movie wasn't as good as other films that were snubbed? I mean is it better than Children of Men? It's almost as if the Academy needed to throw in a comedy just as a way to say that they don't ignore comedies.

If there was something else that made the show last night not a total loss in addition to Marty winning Best Director (finally) it was the montage clip of foreign films of the last 50 years. Glad to see Rashomon and The Virgin Spring shown during the montage. Hell, they showed Rashomon clips more than once which just shows that it still one of the best foreign films out there if not the best movie ever made.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Media All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: