Suikoden Urgent and Informational Kraalesque Omniscient Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Got me a guitar for Christmas...pass around some tips!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Himuro

La Morte

844834 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:54 pm    Post subject: Got me a guitar for Christmas...pass around some tips! Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Tried out the acoustic guitar I got for X-mas. It came with a dvd that helps beginners and I was having a bit trouble getting comfortable, learning how to tune;etc. The dvd was shit basically. I need some lessons. I'm hoping to take some lessons for the next school semester. Going to register today!

It's been awhile since I played an instrument. I used to love playing music but marching band killed it for me. I haven't played my trombone since I quit band in HS 4 years ago.

The dvd doesn't even tell you how to hold it right. But then again, I'm left handed. But oh well, what am I going to do? The only things I do with my left hand are write and masturbate, so I can get used it I'm sure. I was really having a hard time getting comfortable, but I've learned the right positions I need to hold the guitar at. Now...about that tuning. For some reason it's hard for me. I really need an electric tuner.
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

If you've had no experience with a guitar before then you'll really need a tuner.

The strings must be tuned to this set of notes (starting with biggest string):

E A D G B E

Thats the standard tuning anyway, you can learn more advanced tunings later. I found a video on YouTube for you, this should expain how to tune a guitar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDqmAqAZq0c

Enjoy your guitar Himu.
Himuro

La Morte

844834 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I know that much, duder. I've looked at some youtube vids for tuning and still kinda have trouble with it because of the "fret" business. When you hold on to the fret, do you like...press on the string gently? Because when I do it I always press too hard and it messes up the sound so I can't exactly tune. I just don't get the reason why I'm supposed to hold on to a specific fret to tune.

Like I said, I need an electronic tuner! :(
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

You don't need to put your fingers down on the actual strings to hear the notes that you'll be trying to tune to. The open notes (notes that don't require you to place fingers on frets) are E A D G B E, so if you can tune these to those notes, all the fret notes will sound correct.

I'm not quite sure what you're asking here, please elaborate.

Last edited by Ujitsuna on Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Himuro

La Morte

844834 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The part where you tune with your hand on the fifth fret, or fourth fret while tuning. I have trouble doing it because it seems I press my fingers too hard. I just need an instructor is all.

I saw a bulletin for private guitar lessons at school today, so I'll be sure to check that one out.
Pierrot Le Fou

Rain Dogs

37957 Potch
0 Soldiers
196054 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

This might help you a little, think of it as a virtual pitch pipe: http://www.actiontab.com/tuner.html

Two things to help you make sure the notes are perfectly in tune,

1. Tuning Using Harmonics
Quote:

Tune the low E string using a tuning fork, keyboard, etc.

Tune the A string by matching the harmonic at the fifth fret of the 6th string to the harmonic at the 7th fret of the 5th string.

Tune the D string to the A string and the G string to the D string using the same procedure (matching the 7th fret harmonic of the higher string to the 5th fret harmonic of the lower string).

Tune the B string by matching the open B string to the harmonic at the 7th fret of the 6th string.

Tune the top E string to the B string using the 5th fret/7th fret harmonics.

Check the tuning using an E's and B's only chord (see above, and adjust as necessary.
Source: http://cnx.org/content/m11949/latest/

2. Listening for the wavelength, which is hard to explain so maybe ask your instructor. Basically theres always a wavelength when two or more notes are played, and you can tune using this principle. There will be no noticeable wavelength to the trained ear when these notes are in tune with eachother, when the frequency cannot be detected. I hope that makes sense.

And if you can't read sheet music go find yourself some tablature for music you want to learn. There's a small learning curve with reading tabs but once you get it, its easy as hell.
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well a lot of beginners get fretboard fuzz when they first play, eventually notes will be clearer and better defined.
Sparhawk

Lords of Foolishness

207476 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I wish that I stuck with it myself, so my tip would be don't quit....

Rebel of Babylon

1137766 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Himuro wrote:
The part where you tune with your hand on the fifth fret, or fourth fret while tuning.

I've found it's easiest to tune via harmonics. (Just noticed Pierrot suggested this, and slightly differently than my own suggestion) Which you can do by lightly touching the string (don't press down on it) directly over the fret. The when you hit the string, it will produce a high pitched ring.

I'm going from memory on this, so it may be innacurate (tuning this way just comes natural for me, so I don't even think about it while I'm doing it, thus trying to explain it can get a little messy) to tune by harmonics, you would follow this method:

Once you've got the Low E tuned (easily done if you put on Metallica's "Nothing Else Matters" as the first note is the low E) you tune the subsequent strings as follows:

A - Low E (fret 5 harmonic) then A (fret 7 harmonic)
D - A (fret 5 harmonic) then D (fret 7 harmonic)
G - D (fret 5 harmonic) then G (fret 7 harmonic)
B - G (fret 4 harmonic) then B (fret 5 harmonic)
E (High) - B (fret 5 harmonic) then High E (fret 7 harmonic)

*tuning B can be a pain in the ass using this method, but the harmonic for G, B and High E should be the same with proper tuning.

I find tuning via harmonics to be more efficient than using the non-harmonic method:

A - Low E (fret 5) then A (open)
D - A (fret 5) then D (open)
G - D (fret 5) then G (open)
B - G (fret 4) then B (open)
E (High) - B (fret 5) then High E (open)

This much you already know, but when playing the notes, apply pressure to the strings between the frets, not directly over them. This will give you a much cleaner sound. So, when you play the fifth fret, you're applying pressure to the strings on the fretboard above said fret.

"You make me smash the clock and feel, I'd rather die behind the wheel.
Time was never on my side, So on I wait my whole lifetime."
Failure_Urn

[SPECTATOR]

673539 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

There look to be more expereanced players than I here but here are some tips.

You will get the best sound when your finger is close to the bottom of the fret and not in the middle.

actually thats the only tip i can think of. Are there any questions you have? Maby on reading tabs and such? I had soo many when i was first starting, drove my friend crazy.

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The problem is, all of this is so intimidating to someone whos just picked up the guitar, when in fact it's so simple and easy once you've broken through.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: