Suikoden Unique and Illegal Karma Objective Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Capital Punishment: Right or Wrong?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

For the death penalty
8%
 8%  [ 2 ]
Against the death penalty
52%
 52%  [ 12 ]
Only for special cases
39%
 39%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 23

Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 9:52 pm    Post subject: Capital Punishment: Right or Wrong? Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

After reading through all the posts made in the end of Saddam topic, it would seem that there's quite a few people who believe that executing Saddam was not the best, or even the right thing to do. Does this mean these people just think Saddam shouldn't have been executed for his crimes, or is it a more philosophical view of the concept of the death penalty as a form of punishment for heinous and capital crimes.

Is this form of punishment justified for any of the capital crimes (premeditated murder, rape resulting in death, murder of law enforcement personnel, crimes against humanity, etc...) that capital punishment has been tied to? Some might say that humanity has progressed and become civilized enough to do away with such medieval forms of punishment.

Where do you stand in this issue? Are you against any and all forms of death penalty punishment? Do you think that such a punishment should be meted out for criminals whose crimes go beyond the pale of normal decency? Or are you in the middle where you think certain circumstances need such penalties but not for all capital crimes...

JutsuNinjas

1161 Potch
4 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm for Death penalty. People who do stuff like murder and say god told them to mainly. But if it was in self-defence and now there one deathrow i find that wrong.
iscalio

1681589 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The Warhammer wrote:

Wrong.
Masaya

Flying Fusillades

222963 Potch
75 Soldiers
3635 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Although it would save Wisconsin alot of space withing our prisons, as well as save tons of money.

However it goes agaisnt my personal beliefs. I voted Wrong.

The Long Patrol

162411 Potch
122 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Masaya wrote:
Although it would save Wisconsin alot of space withing our prisons, as well as save tons of money.

Um, no it won't save any money. In fact it costs more money to execute a prisoner in the United States than it does to sentence him/her to life in prison.
http://www.mindspring.com/~phporter/econ.html
And mind you, this doesn't include inflation or states with ridiculous cost-of-living standards.

That being said, I don't have strong feelings about the death penalty either way. I come from a country which still uses the gallows to execute prisoners. And I can also see the reason why some think it's a better punishment to have someone be imprisoned until their natural death.
Amyral

Windriders

544907 Potch
4066 Soldiers
620 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Spell Breaker wrote:

Um, no it won't save any money. In fact it costs more money to execute a prisoner in the United States than it does to sentence him/her to life in prison.
http://www.mindspring.com/~phporter/econ.html
And mind you, this doesn't include inflation or states with ridiculous cost-of-living standards.

It also only includes appeal costs for death sentences, while not including any of those costs for life imprisonment. Last I checked, life imprisonment can still (and is) appealed in the US legal system, so I don't trust the numbers he came up with.

Inflation wouldn't affect the proportion all that significantly, as it would raise the costs of both. Cost of living would affect the life imprisonment more than it would affect the death sentences, though.
St. Ajora

SOUL PATROL!

-98944 Potch
-54 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, I'm pretty wishy-washy on the subject, but I live my life without caring about dying. I wouldn't fight it, yet I understand those who would want to.

Regardless, as contradictory as it sounds, I don't think putting people to death would bring about any sort of justice, since that's largely preventative. All it does it fuel negative emotions, and personally, I don't think I could ever support a haunted life like that. That's my stance, though I'm very indifferent.

Although, to go further, to those who also say it's "wrong", I encourage them to look for inside opinions, as I did. In keeping with the Saddam-execution thing I remember watching a clip of a woman whose two sons were buried alive and she said she hopes that Saddam dies the same way- twice.

I mean, how is that wrong? How can you blame anyone for feeling that way? How can you go up to a childless, broken woman and say, "Believing in that death penalty is wrong." ? True it doesn't solve anything in the long run, but looking past that, is it really "wrong" to feel that way?

Nothing in this world is wrong or right, it's just choices and circumstances.
AA

Spears of the Sand

366104 Potch
200 Soldiers
3121 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm against the death penalty, i believe that there are things much worse than death plus it is more of a punishment for the ones that the criminal leaves behind than it it's for the person being zapped or injected.

Bring back the chain gang!

Plus there are many back breaking and hard labour jobs that need doing. A lifetime of hard work in my opinion is so much more of a punishment than death.
Sophita

The Wee Kitty Grand Duke Defense Brigade

498078 Potch
1330 Soldiers
2725 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Against. In just about all cases.

The Death Penalty just plain doesn't work, at least in America.

1) There is no way to exonerate the innocent - When you execute people, you are taking a genuinely huge assumption that that person is guilty. However, it's often impossible for us to tell whether someone was truly guilty or not; they may have been condemned so via the court, but the court is not infalliable. When a man or woman is exocuted and later investigations prove they were innocent, there is no way that the government can make up for that; you can't bring the dead back to life. An exocuting an innocent man is not just "an occasional hazard"; it's state-run murder. And this is a virtual certainty. And if the state is sanctioning murder, then what is keeping the state itself from being put on death row? It's a moral paradox.

2) It does not help the families of the victims, and hurts another family - Killing someone for a grevious wrong done to your family will not bring them back. Ever. If someone misses them, killing their killer/etc. will not satisfy that missing. And instead of having just one family hurt, the state now has two - the family of the person originally wronged, and the family of the attacker who will have to come to terms with the idea their son/daughter/sister/brother/mother/father is going to be killed, and may have committed a serious crime. There's a lot of trauma there. Not to mention the trauma of the prisoners too, who people tend to forget are people. How could you live knowing that you were going to die, and when, where, and how it would be done?

3) An Eye For An Eye Leaves Us All Blind - A policy of revenge for every single ill of society just leads to a rampant cycle of violence. Period. Rival gangs have been murdering members of other gangs they see as having done them wrong for years. Has that stopped gang warfare?

4) It does not act as a deterrant. When people push for the death penalty, they do so by saying that exocuting one person will convince other people to think twice before committing murder. And yet, there doesn't seem to be any correlation between the number of executions performed and the national murder rate. Furthermore, in order for it to act as a deterrant, one would have to consistantly, promptly and objectively be deployed. The death penalty can't be, at least in the US under conditions now - the death penalty cannot be a mandatory sentence, it takes many years for prisoners to be executed, and the poor are executed many, many more times than the rich, even for the same crimes.

In order to change that, the state would have to execute every person who stand accused of committing a capital crime irrespective of their sex, age, alleged mental state or background. Is that fair?

5) The Numbers Game - Though the numbers seem to boil down to life imprissonent being less costly to taxpayers on the whole than capital punishment, I ask you: If we are debating whether we should kill people because it might save us a couple hundred bucks, what does that say about us as a society?

St. Ajora wrote:
Although, to go further, to those who also say it's "wrong", I encourage them to look for inside opinions, as I did. In keeping with the Saddam-execution thing I remember watching a clip of a woman whose two sons were buried alive and she said she hopes that Saddam dies the same way- twice.

I mean, how is that wrong? How can you blame anyone for feeling that way? How can you go up to a childless, broken woman and say, "Believing in that death penalty is wrong." ? True it doesn't solve anything in the long run, but looking past that, is it really "wrong" to feel that way?

Because, as you said yourself, "it doesn't solve anything in the long run." How can you kill a person - and that's a weighted action, to kill someone - knowing that it doesn't solve anything, doesn't do any good and just leaves one more person dead? Certainly I feel bad for the lady. And I think her emotions are more than valid. I'd certainly feel rather pissed off if someone killed my children, too. But the exacution of Saddam won't bring her sons back, won't make her feel any better about what happened, and isn't going to do anything positive for society. What if a relative of Saddam Hussien saw that clip and decided they wanted to kill her for expressing happiness at their family's grief? (And good god, I hope that doesn't happen.) All paying violence-for-violence, wrong-for-wrong does is create more violence, more wrongs.

SCII month continues! DueFiumi.com
John Layfield wrote:
But bubbles... children love bubbles! XD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Milan Fiori

Vanguard Elite

715991 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I was all ready to post a huge essay on how I feel about this, but I think Sophita took what was in my mind, and posted it before I could. Well done, Sophie.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
ViktorFan

Shalimar

1825501 Potch
200 Soldiers
4195 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

My vote is: no death penalty. I have nothing to add to that what Sophita said.
Ryusei

Kotetsu

114213 Potch
8500 Soldiers
510 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sophita has already said everything there is about my views on capital punishment. I am against death penalty.
Yvl

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm usually against it, but there are some people who are just too dangerous to be kept alive, such as political prisoners - Saddam is a perfect example. As long as he lived, there would be people loyal to him, enough so to give up THEIR lives for a false hope. It's got nothing to do with what the said criminal did, it would just be more beneficial for him to die than countless others.

Private Godwin Army

564676 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I agree with everything my queen said...
I am against such ridiculous punishment that puts people in therapy, because they had a bad childhood and I hate molesters who will only get 4 years and then walk freely around molesting another child. Those kind of people should be locked away completely. I don't think that killing them, and capital punishment is nothing else, or torturing them would do any good.
I accept that some criminals couldn't realise that what they have done was wrong, but that doesn't mean that they are unguilty. Peope who rape childrem or women can't be healed in my opinion and being in prison for the rest of their lifes seems only fair, because I don't believe that they will ever become "normal, healthy" people. Still I think that even those human beings have the right to be treatened exactly that way: as human beings.

The Fool
Rune hunter

236548 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I believe the death penalty is wrong. Even in the most extreme circumstances.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: