Suikoden Ugly and Infamous Kosher Oblique Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

The elemental true runes should've been parts of one true rune?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andarc

Lightning halberd

154551 Potch
143 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:56 pm    Post subject: The elemental true runes should've been parts of one true ru Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

instead of already revealing 5 in suikoden 3, perhaps they could've not gotten lazy...and I dunno... made it one true rune, kinda like the Rune of Beginning and the Gate rune...

what's your opinion on this?

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Each True Elemental Rune is a true rune by itself, unless otherwise stated, I suppose it's a nice idea but it's not valid. Suikoden III just thought it would squeeze in as many as possible to make progress in the story. Besides, Suikoden III is all about the different bearers, how dull would it be if one person had all of them?
Aurelien

1567728 Potch
0 Soldiers
157 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:03 am    Post subject: Re: The elemental true runes should've been parts of one tru Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Andarc wrote:
instead of already revealing 5 in suikoden 3, perhaps they could've not gotten lazy...and I dunno... made it one true rune, kinda like the Rune of Beginning and the Gate rune...

Errr ... we already know about Luc and Sasarai bearing True Wind Rune and True Earth Rune since Suikoden II. The story mentioned about Flame Champion was also already heard, and we knew that he had True Fire Rune. So it was definitely not because Konami was being "lazy", but simply because that's just the way it is. Different elemental has different True Rune. It wouldn't make sense to make them all fall under one True Rune anyways.

~City-States of Jowston and Tinto Republic~
06.06.2004 - 20.01.2008

Ryusei

Kotetsu

114213 Potch
8500 Soldiers
510 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I suppose it could be done, but I don't think it'll end up being better than it already is. As Uji above me said, Suikoden III had many true rune bearers. It would have been very stupid and dull if only one of them had access to the "Rune of Elements," when there are quite a number of them.

And yeah, Konami would end up contradicting themselves again, if they were to just make all the elemental true runes become one true rune in Suikoden III when they already proclaimed that two of the elemental true runes were separate true runes in Suikoden II. It just wouldn't fit.
Zaj

The Lone Gunmen

31884 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: The elemental true runes should've been parts of one tru Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Aurelien wrote:
Andarc wrote:

Errr ... we already know about Luc and Sasarai bearing True Wind Rune and True Earth Rune since Suikoden II. The story mentioned about Flame Champion was also already heard, and we knew that he had True Fire Rune. So it was definitely not because Konami was being "lazy", but simply because that's just the way it is. Different elemental has different True Rune. It wouldn't make sense to make them all fall under one True Rune anyways.

There was no (direct) mention of Luc and Sasarai being True Rune bearers in Suikoden II.
The True Elemental Rune might have worked, but the storyline would be massively different. Who knows what Suikoden would be today if that had happened? The room for extra True Rune's would have been nice, but atleast we don't have to wait as long see all of them now.

Let our mercy, as deep as the Feitas, and our authority, as powerful as the Sun, be revealed to the entire World.
Buff

Venus Doom

242611 Potch
0 Soldiers
6886538 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
There was no (direct) mention of Luc and Sasarai being True Rune bearers in Suikoden II.

i'm not 100 percent sure, but doesn't luc mention he has a true rune in the army battle when he takes out alot of highlands men with his rune? i've only seen that scene once and don't remember for sure.

Devoted protector of Ferid and Arshtat
Shula_Vayla

68234 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

He calls upon the power of the Wind, but I don't believe it's revealed that he has the True Rune yet. It's not even revealed that Sasari has the True Earth rune, but just that Luc 'knows' him.

As for one rune for all the elements, I've thought about this, for fanfics but I haven't been able to come up with a feasible idea for it. There's Five elements in the Suikoworld, but there's only Four spell levels. So either all the spells would be omni-elemental, or it would only contain Four high powered elemental spells, while missing one element. Then the questions of why is the earth spell higher than water spell, and why is the wind spell is missing all together.

But now that I think about it as I'm typing I could possibly see this as collecting the elemental pieces of the True Rune, like you start off with the Water piece which gives you a level One water type spell, then you collect the Lightning Piece which gives you a level Two Thunder spell. Then you go off and collect the remaining Earth and Fire pieces to finish. And then you don't have the Wind piece because Luc has it, but once the game is done, you have fully made True Elemental Rune.
Sophita

The Wee Kitty Grand Duke Defense Brigade

498078 Potch
1330 Soldiers
2725 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Doesn't Sasarai actually say something like "How could my True Earth Rune fail me?" in Suikoden II during that battle?

I dislike the idea of having all elements in one rune. It seems like you'd get quite shortchanged because either the rune would be terribly out of balance with all the spells it had, or you'd only get four spells, so either an element would be ignored or at best you'd have one spell from each element.

SCII month continues! DueFiumi.com
John Layfield wrote:
But bubbles... children love bubbles! XD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Rai-Jin

1416 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well of course every Elemental True Rune counts as a True Rune by itself.
But I think if you count it as one of the 27 True Runes, then it would be "The Elemental Runes) taking 1 slot of 27 only. There are some analyzes about True Runes being based on Tarot Card, and it seems to fit well (Not that sure anymore I havent read about it lately again).

68234 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

No, each True Elemental rune counts as a single True Rune on the list. You don't count them all as one. So they are Five of the total Twenty-seven.
Ryusei

Kotetsu

114213 Potch
8500 Soldiers
510 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 10:54 pm    Post subject: Re: The elemental true runes should've been parts of one tru Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Zaj wrote:

There was no direct mention of Sasarai and Luc bearing the True Wind and the True Earth runes, but there was enough dialogue for us to know that they were indeed the true rune bearers, most notably Sasarai when he mentioned that his True Earth rune had failed him.

So even if Konami decides to make a "True Element Rune" in Suikoden III, it would still contradict the fact that the True Wind rune and the True Earth rune are different true runes themselves.

Shula_Vayla wrote:
As for one rune for all the elements, I've thought about this, for fanfics but I haven't been able to come up with a feasible idea for it. There's Five elements in the Suikoworld, but there's only Four spell levels. So either all the spells would be omni-elemental, or it would only contain Four high powered elemental spells, while missing one element. Then the questions of why is the earth spell higher than water spell, and why is the wind spell is missing all together.

You have a good point there, Shula_Vayla. Runes in Suikoden can only have a maximum of 4 usable spells in battle, so having a True Elemental rune would mean there will only be a maximum of 4 elements (gameplay-wise) in the rune, with one element missing. This is one more reason as to why a "True Element rune" wouldn't work in the game.
Rai-Jin

1416 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Shula_Vayla wrote:
No, each True Elemental rune counts as a single True Rune on the list. You don't count them all as one. So they are Five of the total Twenty-seven.

how can you be so sure

Kotetsu

114213 Potch
8500 Soldiers
510 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Rai-Jin wrote:
how can you be so sure

The prefix "True" before the names of each runes is proof enought that they are true runes themselves. That, and many other things in-game prove that they are indeed true runes. For example, the agelessness of Geddoe and the Flame Champion. Only true runes can grant agelessness, and normal runes cannot. Also, it has been said a lot of times in the dialogues in Suikoden III that they are indeed true runes. Thus, each elemental true rune is counted as a different true rune each, for a total of 5 different true runes.
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ryusei wrote:
Rai-Jin wrote:
how can you be so sure

The prefix "True" before the names of each runes is proof enought that they are true runes themselves. That, and many other things in-game prove that they are indeed true runes. For example, the agelessness of Geddoe and the Flame Champion. Only true runes can grant agelessness, and normal runes cannot. Also, it has been said a lot of times in the dialogues in Suikoden III that they are indeed true runes. Thus, each elemental true rune is counted as a different true rune each, for a total of 5 different true runes.

Don't forget that the two halves of The Rune of the Gate as well as the Star rune seem to also grant immortality, they don't count as true runes by themselves.
Ryusei

Kotetsu

114213 Potch
8500 Soldiers
510 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Uji wrote:
Don't forget that the two halves of The Rune of the Gate as well as the Star rune seem to also grant immortality, they don't count as true runes by themselves.

Well, the two halves Gate rune itself are still true runes, I guess. It's just that the True Gate rune was split forcibly that it has become two pieces. I don't think its "true rune properties" were no longer present once it was split. I believe the two still count as true runes though, the two of them count as one of the 27.

But I don't know about the star rune. I'm pretty sure it's not a true rune, and I don't think it grants immortality. It's just that its bearer is Zerase, which is just as mysterious as Jeane is, of whom we don't know about. I'm pretty sure the explanation behind that is not far from Jeane's though, since it has been said that she doesn't possess a true rune yet she keeps on popping up on different timelines.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: