Suikoden Ugly and Irenic Kosher Orgazmic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Futurama
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which episode is the best?
The Farnsworth Parabox
20%
 20%  [ 3 ]
Roswell That Ends Well
13%
 13%  [ 2 ]
The Devil's Hands Are Idle Playthings
20%
 20%  [ 3 ]
The Sting
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Time Keeps On Slipping
13%
 13%  [ 2 ]
Jurassic Bark
6%
 6%  [ 1 ]
Other
26%
 26%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 15

Hawk Thanatos

Radical Dreamers

167582 Potch
43 Soldiers
1337 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 1:17 am    Post subject: Futurama Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I did a search but couldn't find any topics about this great show so here I go...

I've always been surprised that this show got canceled, it seems like such a popular show, though maybe that's happened only recently. Anyway, as most fans of the show will know by now, Futurama is coming back (with the entire cast) for 13 episodes or 4 movies, depending on your source.

Personally finding that it was returning was some of the best news I got in a long time, it's just a pity we'll have to wait until 2008 though. At least Comedy Central has it and not Fox.

I did find this interview with David X Cohen (one of the creators) which is interesting.

http://www.wizarduniverse.com/magazine/toyfare/002710592.cfm wrote:
UP CLOSE: DAVID X. COHEN
The 'Futurama' co-creator talks exclusively to Toyfare about the long-awaited new season...

By Justin Aclin
Posted December 12, 2006 12:00 PM

It's the good news everyone has been waiting for! A new season of "Futurama"—the brilliant, animated sci-fi comedy from "Simpsons" creator Matt Groening and executive producer David X. Cohen—is finally being produced for a 2008 release.

It's still not determined whether the new episodes will debut on Comedy Central or DVD, but we're too excited to care! We pinned down Cohen to get the skinny on what we can expect when "Futurama" reawakens from its cryo-sleep.

ToyFare: So where are you right now in the production of the new season?

DAVID X. COHEN: We're about halfway through the writing, but just getting started on the animation. One big decision we have not yet made is how, once again, to "end" the series—hopefully not for the last time.

How long after the last "series finale" does the new season take place? And what can we expect for the Fry and Leela relationship?

COHEN: When our story resumes, two long years have passed. As for the Fry/Leela relationship, we will be visiting that subject right away, so I refuse to tell you where it will lead on the grounds that I want you to buy the DVD.

How much continuity will the new season feature?

COHEN: Within the new season, we will definitely feature more continuity than in the past. We will also be shedding light on several lingering questions from the original run, including hitherto unknown facts about Nibbler, dark matter and Seymour the dog. By the way, that was my first use of the word "hitherto" in an interview. I think it went well.

[Laughs] Nice. How much of the original cast and crew were you able to put together?

COHEN: We have the entire cast back, as well as a good chunk of the writing staff. We also have Rough Draft Studios animating once again, and they seem determined to top even their own amazing work from the first time around. To complete the reunion of our original crack team, it looks like we will also have Chris Tyng back to work his magic on the musical score.

Are there any guest voices lined up yet?

COHEN: We will have a number, yes, but I can only officially report on the one we have already recorded—up-and-coming voice-over star Al Gore. For the first time, we are going to show what really determined the outcome of the 2000 Presidential election.

Toynami's going to be making new Futurama toys—are you into the toys at all?

COHEN: I think I have every Futurama toy legally produced so far. I loved their I-Men [block figures]... It's especially fun for me to see toys based on side characters like Calculon and Roberto. Personally, although I think I speak for millions, I would like to see toys of Hypnotoad, Slurms McKenzie and Hedonismbot. Also, I'd like Fry, Leela and Bender in their superhero forms: Captain Yesterday, Clobberella and SuperKing.

Are there any new characters being introduced in the new season that you're excited about?

COHEN: Yes, particularly Nudar, the evil alien nudist. We're not sure what the censorship issues are as far as showing unrecognizable alien reproductive organs. I guess we'll just put it on the air and see what happens.

Well, until Nudar debuts, who's your favorite minor character on the show?

COHEN: Hypnotoad. By the way, we are looking into producing a full 22-minute episode of Everybody Loves Hypnotoad for the DVD release. I am serious.

So how many other people here like Futurama? Do you have a favourite episode/character? Are you glad they're bringing it back?
Yvl

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I speak for all of SME when I say.... yes, we do.

Best episode is "Where No Fan Has Gone Before"

I'm glad they're bringing it back, but I don't think I can take any more of Seymour. Comedies aren't supposed to make you cry that much.

Windriders

544907 Potch
4066 Soldiers
620 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

One of my favorite shows ever.

The Best Episode is: "The Luck of the Fryrish"

I love everything about that episode. Yes, it was more serious in tone, and it lacked The Zapper, but it gets me every time. It did what the Simpsons hardly ever does, a great episode with a serious tone. Futurama had 3 or so, and this one was the best. I think the Seymour episode was a bit much.

Personally, I am a bit anxious about it coming back, because I worry that part of what makes me like it so much is that it didn't get stale. It ended before they had to resort to too much theme recycling. I look at Family Guy, which I thought was hilarious when it first game out, yet can hardly watch now because of how bad it is. I worry at the same thing will happen with Futurama, where part of the intrigue may have been it's relatively short run compared to its counterparts.
Hawk Thanatos

Radical Dreamers

167582 Potch
43 Soldiers
1337 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I should have add Amazon Women In The Mood to the poll just so there'd be a great Zapp Brannigan episode in it. He definitely has some of the best lines in the series and is one of the best characters ever. "If I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a little?"

One of his quotes is actually my Beginning of Battle Speech. It's probably fairly obvious which one.
Aggression Then Silence

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

South Park has gone 10 years without theme recycling.

Family guy was BOUND to end up like that cuz that's how the humour was even when it started.

You can go anywhere with Futurama. It's not even close to as limited in themes as the Simpsons is. Even tho I like the Simpsons more.

Disciples of Death

331436 Potch
0 Soldiers
2442517 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I voted for time keeps on slipping because of the atomic super men mostly. I love all episodes of Futurama though and I wouldn't be lying if I said that the worst episode of Futurama beats the best episode of any other show ever. All the spisodes were amazing to the point where they just can't be touched. My favorite character is probably the Zapper as well. "In the game of chess you must never let your adversary see your pieces" how brilliant was that?

Chief of Beat-em-up Honeys Division, Devoted Protector of Lady Tifa Lockhart
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Axiose

Altruistic Apparitions

100019091 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The Farnsworth Parabox, if only for the ending where the universe is stuck in a box at the end. Fantastic.

[Axiose] [Fliktor]
Amyral

Windriders

544907 Potch
4066 Soldiers
620 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Aggression Then Silence wrote:
South Park has gone 10 years without theme recycling.

Because South Park episodes take days to do, so they can do current events in a way other animated series can't, which is what they've been driving on for the past few seasons.

Compare that to, well, any other animated series. It can take 6 months for a Simpsons episode to be completed, and by that time the references are old. South Park is the exception, an exception which can be attributed to the way it is done moreso than anything else. I'd imagine the World of Warcraft episode they did was the most difficult and time intensive thing they've done.

You say Futurama has more freedom, I partly agree, but at the same time I see even more limitations. It's the exact same way that any Star Trek series has to recycle themes, despite them theoretically having just as much freedom. They aren't bound by the way we experience life. When it's based in the future, and a sci-fi premise, you have the freedom to shape things how you want, but at the same time you can't really do what a South Park or even The Simpsons can do. You can't really do anything to express a big shift in culture, because it's in the distant past. You can't really address current events, because they are historical events. You can do homages (which Futurama has done plenty of), but, like you see in Family Guy, eventually stuff to rip on just runs out. Every Star Trek series (at least the ones that last between 5 and 7 seasons), ultimately fall into repeating themselves in the world they made despite having that freedom. I think Futurama risks going that same way.

As far as Zapp quotes, one of my personal favorites...

"I am the man with no name! Zapp Brannigan, at your service."
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Anything with Zapp Branigan and Kiff gets my vote. Those two are an unbeatable duo.
Gil-galad

Flame of the West

2849957 Potch
200 Soldiers
46 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

There are so many good episodes of Futurama. They're all so good, it's really impossible for me to choose a favorite. All of the ones listed in the poll are amazing, along with Robot Hell, Luck of the Fryrish, Fry and Slurm Facotry, and others. While futurama really shares many things in common with the Simpsons im n presentation it really goes on to a whole other level when it comes to striking an emotional connection. I mean, I was bawling at the end of Jurassic Bark-- and anyone who wasn't has no heart. I kind of liked how in some of the episodes they were willing to give a not so happy ending. Like in Time Keeps on Slipping, and Jurassic Bark, which ended up being two of the best shows in the series.

As for the best Zapp/Kiff lines: "I find the most sensual part of the woman is the boobies."

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Buff

Venus Doom

242611 Potch
0 Soldiers
6886538 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

i can't say i have a favorite episode since pretty much all rules. one of the best characters has to be dr.zoidberg and bender. seriously i've been waiting for them to make new episodes for a hell of a long time and now it's finally almost here. wonder how the fry/leela relationship is going to go.

Devoted protector of Ferid and Arshtat
Assassin01

Team Assassination

575125 Potch
200 Soldiers
900 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I personally like the Three hundred big boys episode where everyone on Earth recieves $300 as a part of a tax return (or somthing like that). The episode was so well done with all of the different stories happening at different times in the episode. It actually felt like 5 episodes in one, a great show to watch.
MMan9000
Ralphy Leone Tensei
Lymsleia Falenas
Failure_Urn

[SPECTATOR]

673539 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Rosewell that ends well is probably my second favorite, but my first is definatly Godfellas.

I also like the X-mas episodes a whole lot.

Confused Chaquita Banana Minions

464538 Potch
425 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I got the first DVD boxset for Christmas and I love it to pieces. :D

I'm glad it'll be coming back. ^__^

"And as the lion slaughters man, I am the wolf and you're the lamb." ~Blind Guardian
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Failure_Urn

[SPECTATOR]

673539 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

What do you mean it will be comming back? =O!!??
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Media All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: