Suikoden Urgent and Inspirational Kraalesque Old Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

New Final Fantasy Tactics
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Leb

Pizza Toppings

497133 Potch
936 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Falcon Critical wrote:
b) That ridiculous getup goon from FFTA2! OMG I mean is it not bad enough that they continue to destroy the FFT franchise with FFTA2 but they have to sneak their silly protaganist into the original as well? I'm going to recruit him, then make him die a slow slow death... before eating his crystal remants with Ramza and feeling much better for it.

Why? Luso is in many ways arguably better than Ramza. He has all of his badass Squire abilities before Ramza, and his Game Hunter job has innate Poach. He is God over all monsters.

You also have no real choice in recruiting him. You have to encounter him through the story, so the only way not to get him is if you refuse to invite him to join you.

Lastly, Luso doesn't look so bad anymore.

To me, Luso only seems to look ridiculous in his original design. Later art makes him look... acceptable. In the case of the War of the Lions, I'd say he has a superior design to Ramza and his butt-armor.
SwissStopwatch

Largest Falco Tribute Band Ever

186774 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I should note that through use of Xlink Kai, it's possible to work around the silly implementation of multiplayer to be Ad-Hoc only, to play with people over the internet. It does require more work to set up than I imagine most people would like, but if I remember, it's possible to do. So you'll be able to find some people that have the game and are able to play. I know a few I can play with.

I don't think it's possible for there to be a worse character design than Ramza's butt pants. Well, actually, I'm sort of speaking too soon. At least he has pants that give coverage. If he didn't, I don't think I could play the game without some sprite alteration being done.
Falcon Critical

Haia's Star Pupil

678159 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Indeed I heard it was that FFTA2 guy and got cross, but actually saw the scene and recruiting battle for it just now, he's got his own video and all.

Why will I still kill him? I still don't like his character design. Ramza actually wears armor and fits in the world a lot better than this guy. Perhaps he's a beefed up Ramza (like Balthier is a beefed up Mustadio) but I don't need two Ramzas in my party, there's already too many competing for spots - Orlandu, Agrias, Mustadio, Ramza, Reis is my normal party... I may replace Mustadio with Balthier once I get him but I dunno we'll see when it happens.

On a different note - there is mention that this Ivalice is the same as FF12 correct? Now I always irked at that since clearly FFTA is what they were referring to with the 'same Ivalice as Tactics'... however - looking at Mustadio's story a bit more, those Zodiac stones are relics from the ancient world, where there were "flying machines and iron men walking around". Does this perhaps mean that the Ivalice in this FF Tactics is the same world just sorta post-apocalypse or something? I mean the Viera and Moogles and other races must have died out somehow. Still I'll keep looking out for references to a timeline between these games, Balthier one might say would have some answers but like Cloud and Luso its more likely he's just going to do the "huh? how'd I get here? Okay I'll come along with you!"

Pizza Toppings

497133 Potch
936 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Most characters actually lack any real armor to speak of. Luso at least has the vital joints guarded and looks like he's wearing tanned hide (which is good for basic protection). Character like Beowulf, Mustadio and even Balthear don't really wear any armor to speak of.

Every game except Tactics Advance takes place in the same Ivalice (Tactics Advance's Ivalice was simply imagined by the children who read the book).

As far as most people are concerned, the timeline is as such:

XII -> Revenant Wings -> A2 -> Tactics -> Vagrant Story -> Late Ages (point in which Arazlam Durai chronicles the War of the Lions)

But yeah. Both Balthear and Luso can't possibly exist during this time, even though it's hinted that the former and Vaan visited the region in their own time during Revenant Wings. Luso, after putting his name in the grimoire, winds up in Ivalice a couple years after XII. That takes place way east of Rozarria, next to Ordalia (which is in the east of Limberry). After that, the timeline fast-forwards about a millennium to the War of the Lions. So, yeah, the game really only explains Cloud's reason for appearing.
Timbo

The Wandering Prophets

410837 Potch
300 Soldiers
835 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
I mean it used to be like 04% chance to steal his stuff anyway, making it one of the more challenging battles in the game. Now there's no point in drawing it out, just kill him cos you can't steal any of it.

If you lowered his brave it made it much easier. I think that's why they removed it, although I think it's lame that they did. You had to make a ridiculous setup to steal all of his equipment effeciently. You needed to bring Beowulf with the chicken spell, it's one of the few battles where it is practical to get Ramza Ultima, so he needed to be a squire, along with that you needed a good thief and a knight with two swords and speed break. The idea is to lower his speed and turn him into a chicken so that you have about a 60% chance to steal the items and you get more chances before he teleports away. It was something for hardcore FFT fans to do and I don't see why it was removed.

Last edited by Timbo on Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zahak

Queen's knights

20981 Potch
44 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

What's this new FFT about? Is it part of the Ivalice Alliance?
Timbo

The Wandering Prophets

410837 Potch
300 Soldiers
835 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Zahak wrote:
What's this new FFT about? Is it part of the Ivalice Alliance?

It's an upgraded port of the original FFT. They add two classes, two new special characters, a few more battles and changed the story presentation to have more cutscenes.
Zahak

Queen's knights

20981 Potch
44 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I looked at the Ign.com link and it looked like Balthier on the training trailer image.
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I still wait for a day they make an actual sequel to the first game.
Falcon Critical

Haia's Star Pupil

678159 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Zahak - Yes they also added Balthier and Luso to the game as extra characters.

For the first time whilst playing through the game I've actually ensured that I always have someone with a full set of thief skills in my party, and its paying off nicely. I've just done the Orbonne Monastary and just came across a random kinght with a runeblade, so I promptly stole that. Throughout the game I've managed to have gear above and beyond the stuff I can buy in shops, which for me is a first, especially since I haven't yet come across any of the really rare or one-off items.

By the by, I recall from on the PSX that one of Celia/Lede (Elmador's assassins) had a Barette equipped as an accessory in the first battle against them on the rooftop, the barette is a head-slot item which confused me and I never managed to actually steal it because of their crazy instant death punches.

Interesting that its all in the same timeline, do any of the games cover how/why the other races died out from Ivalice?

Pizza Toppings

497133 Potch
936 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Uji, I personally consider A2 to be good enough to pass for a Tactics sequel. You have a storyline that fits into the Ivalice universe properly, returning characters and music, something like 52 jobs, and all the species from XII plus the Gria.

Falcon (PUNCH), the games don't describe why the species died out. It's possible that they still exist in the east, and perhaps it was only the moogles native to Bervenia that died. Aside from that, there's no reference to any other species.
Sun's Vicegerent

Divine Judgement

777674 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Whoopee! I want to see what the Nintendo DS one will be like though, since I'm currently playing the PSP one. It's awesome! :D

Queen's knights

20981 Potch
44 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Falcon Critical, Who's Luso?

FFT takes place after FFXII, I heard.
Aesa

Those Who Slumber

427118 Potch
250 Soldiers
5 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Luso is the main character in the DS game FFXII: Revenant Wings and has a cameo appearance in the War of the Lions.

I really think that there are huge plot holes that could have been patched. To me, Balthier looks younger, therefore I speculate that War of the Lions took place on a set of different continents and a couple years before (or after maybe?) FFXII. It mentions the Strahl in Balthier bio so I would assume that he left it either in Vaan's not so capable hands, or in Fran's more capable hands. I also dislike the lack of consistency to the Esper/Lucavi. Stick to one name! Also, stick to one appearance, I found Zaleria's apperance utterly bizarre whereas his appearence in XII was actually "Death Seraph" like. My speculation as the why we never heard of Auracite in XII, it's the crystal things you get when you defeat the Espers in XII.

I'm just past Limberry Castle and alls I have to say is: I really hate Argath *hint hint* and Elmdorm a snotty bastard XD

The setting sun means the rise of a new day...
...excepting for Ragnarok, of course

~Tinto~
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Aesa wrote:
I'm just past Limberry Castle and alls I have to say is: I really hate Argath *hint hint* and Elmdorm a snotty bastard XD

Are you talking about the first Final Fantasy Tactics, and isn't it Elmdor?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: