Suikoden Unique and Inspirational Kraalesque Old Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

New Final Fantasy Tactics
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 7:12 am    Post subject: New Final Fantasy Tactics Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Before you get excited, it's not a sequel to the Playstation version, one is a remake of the adventure with Ramza on the PSP, and the other is a sequel to Final Fantasy Tactics Advance for the Nintendo DS.

http://uk.psp.ign.com/articles/750/750839p1.html

I'm a bit annoyed theres no sequel to the Playstation version, as that is the greatest Final Fantasy Tactics we've ever seen, but I suppose this will appeal the GBA version's fans. The PSP version is getting a few new jobs and some cell-shaded movies, but thats about it.
Shad

Midnight

4252503 Potch
200 Soldiers
38 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Final Fantasy Tactics Advance was a failure of a game. That they'd make a sequel to it rather than the original Final Fantasy Tactics is quite a shame. I won't even bother picking it up. Now this original FFT remake on the other hand sounds rather compelling. I've been looking for an excuse to replay the game anyway, and throwing in two new job classes sounds like a nice bonus. If they're going to remake the game in the first place I certainly hope they throw in a few more bonuses, and maybe some extra characters. I'll be sure to keep an eye on this one.
Leb

Pizza Toppings

497133 Potch
936 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It's not a remake; it's an enhanced port. As for the so-called "Tactics A2", Advance sold very well. That's plenty reason to make a sequel.
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Leb wrote:
It's not a remake; it's an enhanced port.

Okay I used the incorrect term.
Gil-galad

Flame of the West

2849957 Potch
200 Soldiers
46 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Wonderful. I enjoyed both games.

I'm a bit disappointed with the fact that the PSP game is just a port of the original, but the original is a genius game, so having it be portable is definitely a plus. Also, perhaps they can fix some of the problems with FFT:A, and make it an even better game. For instance, why did they use the skill system from FFIX? That needs to go. ^^ Either way, good news.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
SwissStopwatch

Largest Falco Tribute Band Ever

186774 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I don't even really think the Playstation version really demands a sequel, even though the game was pretty darn good. As things go, they didn't leave too many loose ends that a continuation of the story would tie up. The few that are there just don't interest me a whole lot. Trying to continue that particular storyline could take some ridiculous turns and just not be so enjoyable, even if the game itself is fun. Of course, since one of the biggest complaints about FFT was that nobody could follow the plot in the first place, I might be paying a bit too much attention to that aspect of things (Seriously, though, it isn't that hard to follow).

Anyway, I'm quite glad to have something good to play on the PSP, since a lot of the games that are good on there just don't appeal to me that much. Aside from what the two extra classes might be (There are quite a few possibilities I can think of) and whatever other extra features we'll get, I wonder if they'll mess with the game mechanics any. I wouldn't necessarily think they'd take the time to do that, but I think the way some of them worked was partly because of hardware limitations on the PS, and doing this on the PSP probably removes some of those. And, you have to admit, some abilities were just plain broken (Blade Grasp, for starters...).

Also, I wonder if they'll maybe fix some of the translation. I mean, a few things about the plot certainly would be much clearer for some people if they messed that up just a little less...
Zeik Tuvai

Aura of the Wolf

12319 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I will totally get the enhanced port. I love that game... Anyone know what the new classes are going to be? Blue Mage and Red Mage would be two that I would like to see.

As for the one on GBA... It's okay, but definately not worthy of being titled "Final Fantast Tactics," even if it is Advanced... Maybe I'll give it another try over winter vacation.
Cowardice cannot survive.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Sophita

The Wee Kitty Grand Duke Defense Brigade

498078 Potch
1330 Soldiers
2725 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I though the playstation was an incredibly good one-off, but I don't think they can really do much more with the same story and still have it hold up. However, I'd certainly pick up another game with the same system in it; I liked Tactic's system.

I also like the GBA port. Though the overall story isn't too impressive to me, I think it plays nicely for a get up and go strategy game. Though to be honest, the problem there is that it has a lot of competition - Advance Wars, Breath of Fire, etc. I liked the skill system in it (of course, it's FFIX's, which I liked but might be an unpopular opinion, there...) and I liked the sidequests you could do and that you could make the world however you wished. Although it's not as good as Final Fantasy Tactics on the playstation, I think it's fairly fun to play, and that's all I ask for in a game, really.

SCII month continues! DueFiumi.com
John Layfield wrote:
But bubbles... children love bubbles! XD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Artificity

Ronery Puratoon

17923 Potch
0 Soldiers
750 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I don't understand what people disliked about FFTA. It was a remarkably well written game and there was a charm to playing as the technical 'badguy' for once. I think that the biggest reason why people didn't take too kindly to it was because the game wasn't Final Fantasy Tactics 2. That's just like saying you didn't like the chocolate cake because it wasn't the chocolate ice cream you were hoping you'd get. Apples and Oranges.

I do hope that the FFT port fixes some of the issues I had with the previous game, like an utter imbalance of classes and how easy it was to cheat the system with Time Mage + Math skill. I'm also praying for a nerfed Orlandu if only to piss off everyone for the heck of it.

Any updates on what skills the Onion Knights will have?

Legions of Zontar-Killers

817540 Potch
25 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
I don't understand what people disliked about FFTA. It was a remarkably well written game and there was a charm to playing as the technical 'badguy' for once. I think that the biggest reason why people didn't take too kindly to it was because the game wasn't Final Fantasy Tactics 2. That's just like saying you didn't like the chocolate cake because it wasn't the chocolate ice cream you were hoping you'd get. Apples and Oranges.

I can't speak for everyone, but there are a few reasons why I wasn't too impressed with Final Fantasy Tactics Advance.

1. The system of using items to obtain skills and abilities is less enjoyable, in my opinion, than the system of obtaining job points in battle that you can spend where you want. The theory goes that it added another level of strategy, but in practice it was more annoying than anything and made me not want to play.

2. The judge system. Another one of those extra additions that adds strategy to the game, but ends up just being annoying.

3. The story didn't impress me at all, and as far as I remember was nearly invisible. I also didn't like having to "create" my own world, but that's just personal taste when it comes to games like this.

As far as a sequel goes, I'm not looking for a direct sequel here--just a game that stays true to the formula that made Final Fantasy Tactics the most beloved game in its genre. The story could have a completely different setting and I wouldn't care.

Anyways, the reasons listed above would be why I'm not to keen on a sequel to Final Fantasy Tactics Advance--although, Square's history suggests that FFTA2 will be just as different as Final Fantasy Tactics Advance was from the first one. I guess we'll see.

I changed the number on my phone so you can't call me up at home, and you can't say those
things to me, that make me fall down on my knees.

Scarlet Assassin

Disciples of Death

331436 Potch
0 Soldiers
2442517 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm going to go with me not being a fan of "Hey I got transported to this crazy world, now let me shape its fate." plot elements. It's a personal choice but that really just doesn't fly with me.

Chief of Beat-em-up Honeys Division, Devoted Protector of Lady Tifa Lockhart
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Tonberry

The Tonberry Eggsperience

1819401 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'll have to agree with Zonder. The story was terrible. The judges were extremely annoying, not to mention pointless. The item/ability system was terrible too. It worked for Final Fantasy IX, but not for Final Fantasy Tactics Addvance. That system just doesn't work in a game where battles take ten minutes to complete.

However, the game did have good music, and over all, a nice job system.

Too bad that both games are on systems I don't have. Seriously, those games need to be on platforms. Curses!
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I always felt that Final Fantasy Tactics Advance was too childish, maybe thats what Square Enix intended, but in doing so, they practically abandoned their already established more mature base, not to mention the Final Fantasy Tactics purists who would probably fight and die for another Playstation sequel true to it's roots.
Artificity

Ronery Puratoon

17923 Potch
0 Soldiers
750 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I seem to have a trend of derailing topics lately. For once however, I don't feel bad about it. Let me tackle some points about the game that seem to bug people. Spoilers may follow, but seriously, right now I could care less.

1) Plot.

Childish? Seriously? Was it the complete lack of an overt storyline filled with conspiracy theories, deceit and political intrigue that turned people off? Not all methods of writing are big and flashy and the game was never supposed to be FFT2 to begin with. If you were expecting something else, then that's your fault for already constructing something when you had very little basis for it to begin with.

The story relies on how one character, Mewt, being the meek and normal kid that he is, being given the chance to reshape a world according to how he wants it. Normally, kids his age would want to build something fantastic and exciting and that's exactly what he does, except that he locks himself away to enjoy the one creation that really does make him feel happy: A complete family.

Therein lies the problem for the protagonist. How can you say that you have the right to change one persons world, fake as it is, when it is what gives him real happiness? When this very world that you insist on being wrong does nothing but provide a place for those who want to realize their dreams, as 'childish' as they are?

How can Marche, as a person, insist that they should all go back to a world that only gave them nothing but misery? How can he insist so hard on going back when he himself understands that this world is actually better than the real one?

Who are you to say that you are right and that they are wrong for simply wanting to live a life that they've always wanted?

For a preteen boy, the will and maturity to accept reality and to strive to work problems out instead of running from them shows great strength of character in him and Squeenix managed to pull this off without having him look like some lame shounen anime retard. In fact, I think that Marche is probably one of their best constructed characters yet, competing only with his predecessor Ramza for that title.

The idea, writing and overall execution behind it is actually genius and I'm just sad that the real substance behind the plot was overshadowed by the characters 'being kids' and 'playing make believe in another world'.

2) The World.

It seems that the idea of not having pre-established locations for your character to head to annoys people. In the end, you still go to said places but at your own pace anyway so what exactly's the problem here? In fact, YOU don't get any canonical control over what happens to Ivalice, Mewt does. For the sake of gameplay, the game just lets you place the pieces anyway.

3) The Judge System.

Two things: I love it and hate it all at the same time. I love it from the plot perspective and hate it from the gaming POV. I don't need to explain why I hate it because everyone already knows why.

The judge's are Mewt's only way of actually controlling his world. He himself can't fight, refuses to in fact, and when backed into a corner he regresses into a near infantile state demanding that the judge's, his emotional surrogates, find a way to stop the one creeping threat to his reign as prince of Ivalice... and in the end, it forces this frustration to manifest itself in Llednar; his last hope of ever remaining in his perfect universe.

But yeah, I'll hand it to you... The judge's in the game were total tards. No damage to monsters/no status + no specific antilaw = WTF how do I win this!?

4) Battle System.

Understandably, the game is a completionists nightmare (I haven't completed all jobs yet and I've maxed out the game clock. Oh god.) but people focus only on the skill acquisition (and judge system. Stupid Judge's...) portion of the game but completely ignore the clan system (which really should've been implemented in the original), improved 'questing' system from FFT, combo skills and totema as well as the racial traits which allowed for more diversity within the game. My only real complaint was that they didn't allow for

The system was more than just skills and items but seeing as that's what you would rely on 90% of the game, I will have to admit that the game is flawed in that aspect. Not like FFT's JP system was any better (can you say ABUSE ACCUMULATE SKILL LOL?)

So yeah... I'm done with my rant. I love both games to bits but I seem to be the only one who actually liked FFTA so I get touchy with the game.

Legions of Zontar-Killers

817540 Potch
25 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
Childish? Seriously? Was it the complete lack of an overt storyline filled with conspiracy theories, deceit and political intrigue that turned people off? Not all methods of writing are big and flashy and the game was never supposed to be FFT2 to begin with. If you were expecting something else, then that's your fault for already constructing something when you had very little basis for it to begin with.

Eh, the game just wasn't catered to my tastes. The plot was not at the forefront of the game, which automatically knocks it down a few pegs in my eyes. A game doesn't have to be grandiose in scope for me to enjoy it, and it doesn't even have to have the mature, dark undertones that Final Fantasy Tactics had. It just has to have a good story, solid storytelling, and well-fleshed characters. This game had terrible storytelling, and regardless of how good the story might be or how well-fleshed the characters are (as your post tries to explain), if you can't get your point across than the other two are pretty much wasted, because I as the gamer did not notice them.

Quote:

In fact, YOU don't get any canonical control over what happens to Ivalice, Mewt does. For the sake of gameplay, the game just lets you place the pieces anyway.

You're splitting hairs here. The fact is, you do get control, whether the game calls it that or not. Again, this is my own personal taste when it comes to games, but I'd have rather played in a world that was already fleshed out. I understand that it was supposed to be a plot device within the game, but I felt like it took away from the realism in the world, which felt fake (I understand that this might have been the intention, but it doesn't make it anymore enjoyable to me).

On the other points, we seem to agree, so I'll leave those alone.

Anyways, I'm not saying that others can't get enjoyment out of it. I can even see why people could--it just so happens that I didn't like the style of the game, and combined with its flaws, makes it unplayable. At least for me.

I changed the number on my phone so you can't call me up at home, and you can't say those
things to me, that make me fall down on my knees.

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: