Suikoden Urgent and Infamous Keystone Objective Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Fire Emblem
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Masa

Fightin' Nac Mac Feegle

418570 Potch
0 Soldiers
10000 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Recently beat Fuuin no Tsuguri. In fact I've been writing profiles of the characters on my Wiki...

Good game overall. Pretty unforgiving overall. Still, it was an enjoyable romp.

Truth

213998 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It's been a while since my last game. Impatiently waiting for Radiant Dawn's release.

1. What do you like about Fire Emblem?
Relatively simple gameplay mechanics, unusually tricky in-game AI. No random encounters, no free battles, no level grinding: recipe for a wonderful experience for someone who despises wasting time training in RPGs. That, and the colourful characters and personalities add to the already rich settings and storytelling. Also, the fact that characters often have specific storyline and statistics attributed to them make this series stand out over the abundance of generic soldier types from the likes of Final Fantasy Tactics, Tactics Ogre, Nippon Ichi Software titles, etc.

2. Which one is your favorite Fire Emblem and why?
Arguably Thracia 776. Easily the highest point so far in the series, with exceptional strategic AI and puzzles that really make you think. Rather a rare midquel experience, and choosing to flesh out the Thracia peninsular subplot made it stand out as opposed to the others.

3. Do you have any favorite character, if yes, who and why?
I have quite a number, given the large number of characters throughout the series, but here I choose to name the four Great Lords: Hector, Ephraim, Ike and Cellica. Hector, for being the first axe-primary lord and a reliable one at that. Ephraim, for starting as the first unmounted lance-wielding lord and an "interesting" relationship with his twin sister. Ike, for being a complete badass. And, Cellica, for being the mage-warrior archetype who is still the strongest both physically and magically thus far.

4. Is there anything about Fire Emblem that you don't like? If yes, what?
No plan to release pre-Rekka no Ken outside Japan and in English. Also, if only more Fire Emblem gamers do not double up as Nintendo "fanboys"...

5. Do you want the creators to continue the series on the GBA/DS, or would you prefer they leave the hand-held realm aside and concentrate wholly on new Ninendo Wii/console titles?
Personally, I prefer handheld. GC's 3D animation left plenty to be desired.
Masa

Fightin' Nac Mac Feegle

418570 Potch
0 Soldiers
10000 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Thief wrote:
Also, if only more Fire Emblem gamers do not double up as Nintendo "fanboys"...

Pardon?

481481 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Radiant Dawn only got a 8.0 from ign, they normally overrate good rpgs so that score seems a bit low.

I guess their main problem was that nothing uses the Wii's motion controls (nothing at all?), that's almost a good thing to me since I haven't played a Wii game in six month because I like playing before falling asleep which doesn't work well with the Wii. I see there's still not really any voice over either, which was something I really hoped for, but I'm sure the writing is still awesome I just hope I won't fall asleep while reading.

$50 for a Wii game that really doesn't feel like one is a bit much too, but I love Fire Emblem so I'm going to have to get it. I normally rent all the new release games except the ones that would take a long time to play like great rpgs, I think for the rest of the year it's going to be just Radiant Dawn and Mass Effect, though I'm really falling behind recently playing them after getting FF: Tactics, Disgaea, Riviera on the PSP & odin sphere while still playing P3, but it's not a bad problem to have I guess.
Leb

Pizza Toppings

497133 Potch
936 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

IGN typically overrates RPGs when the reviews are by Jeremy Dunham. I have no idea who Bozon is, but when you consider the game looks and plays almost exactly like Path of Radiance it's not such a bad score.

GameSpot will probably give it a 7.8, mostly because it always subtracts .2 from any score IGN gives (probably to seem like harsher and more professional critics).
jjrrs

481481 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think gamespot only do grades by 0.5 increments now, I'm sure if the game itself is as good as other Fire Emblems it should get at least a 8.0. I guess other than to make easy money like putting out madden, nintendo is no longer willing to release anything on the gamecube anymore. I know Fire Emblem should do as well as the smaller squre enix games but do that many people play it here? I don't think PoR came very close of being a player's choice title, and other than slightly justify charging $50 or getting a little more buzz, would the game sell more on the Wii instead of gamecube? Plus I would think people don't buy tactical RPGs like this without reading about it, so anyone that's not already loving the series would get complete turned off when they realize there's no Wii control at all, which should cancel out much of the benefits of it being a Wii game while a lot less fans of the game have a Wii to play it.
Ikano

Prince Geass Falenas

2327939 Potch
1337 Soldiers
3028000 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

jjrrs wrote:
but do that many people play it here? I don't think PoR came very close of being a player's choice title, and other than slightly justify charging $50 or getting a little more buzz, would the game sell more on the Wii instead of gamecube? Plus I would think people don't buy tactical RPGs like this without reading about it, so anyone that's not already loving the series would get complete turned off when they realize there's no Wii control at all, which should cancel out much of the benefits of it being a Wii game while a lot less fans of the game have a Wii to play it.
I see Fire Emblem as something as an underrated series much like Suikoden was/or slightly still is in that there are plenty of fans to keep the games coming over regardless.

As far as Radiant Dawn having no Wii control at all....I think it's better this way that they not mess with it too much...
I myself can't picture Fire Emblem games adapting real well to the Wii capabilities except for probably pointing and dragging units across the screen with the Wiimote. But then that seems more tedious than the old way.

Also, seeing that Radiant Dawn is sort of indirectly a sequel to PoR I don't think they even care if they pick up new fans or not. It just turns into a matter of "Hey Wii owners...this seems to be the only decently good tactical-RPG being released on the Wii as of now...wanna try?"
As for original fans that don't have a Wii...they also seem not to think about it much but just assume that most of them will get the Wii anyway, what with it still being the cheapest of the 3 consoles and if you were really a fan of Fire Emblem you'd get it eventually.

What's wrong with the price? :? Majority of new games always start off with that price except for every once and awhile they think it's a no-name on the get-go.

By the way...Nintendo Power gave it a 9.5....might not mean anything to some of you though since it might have some bias in there

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
jjrrs

481481 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Damn, blockbuster is not getting the game for sale and only having one copy for rent (it's too awesome a game to rent so I was going to buy it anyways), I know they carried both of the last 2 games... I guess the series really isn't that popular and it surely haven't gained too many fans in 5 years. Oh well, guess I'd have to go to either Target or Toys r us to get it tomorrow.

You'd think being a game mass produced by Nintendo that not too many people will buy and don't have any Wii features would mean it'd be on sale somewhere but that's not the case either...
Leb

Pizza Toppings

497133 Potch
936 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Radiant Dawn is hardly "indirectly" a sequel to Path of Radiance. Aside from having virtually every character return, Ike is the main character (for one of the story arcs) and the game answers many questions left unanswered by its predecessor-- such as what happens to the Kingdom of Daien after its defeat and who the Black Knight is.

I've been playing it. The opening CG is very nice, much like Path of Radiance's. The graphics are extremely marginally improved, too, oddly. One little thing I've noticed is that characters round corners a bit more smoothly. You probably won't understand what I mean until you actually see it.
Ikano

Prince Geass Falenas

2327939 Potch
1337 Soldiers
3028000 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ah damn...it just came out? I been messing up my video game release dates recently...
First Phoenix Wright now this...

Hope there wasn't a pre-release bonus @_@ ...(highly doubt it but sometimes ya never know)

^^;; I wasn't 100% sure you see all PoR characters again (besides that one thief) so I said "indirectly" just to be safe)
Nice to know we get to see Ike again and even play him :o

But the way you say it...are you inferring not all the story arcs are taking place after PoR?
Are you hinting that it jumps around in time like it takes place during the time period of PoR sometimes or after in other times? =o
That's rather interesting if so

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
jjrrs

481481 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Finally got it today, I don't think there were any bonus items since Nintendo don't do much of that for their smaller titles. I am also very excited that this is more of a direct sequel to the last game, loving direct sequels was the reason why I got the first two Suikoden games back in the day, although it's a little weird to see the returning characters change so much after being used to seeing Suikoden characters hardly changing at all in later games, except maybe Futch, Bright & Lilly from II-III.

By the way, is anyone else being forced to decide between getting either this game or Mario Galaxy but not both? It's no big loss to me since I don't play my Wii much as I'm dusting it off for Fire Emblem, plus I'm not a big Mario/platformer guy anyways so I would have likely just saved the money for Mass Effect, but it seems Mario Galaxy is the type of game that makes a system like Gears of War did for the 360 last year, so it must be a hard decision for those that's been waiting for both games.

Boy, it seems Game Informer only gave the game a 7.0, this after Suikoden V got the same low score from them last year... Those idiots there must have forgot what good RPGs are.
eXistence of Fly

Pointy Sticks & Ponies!

1156566 Potch
7700 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Radiant Dawn is actually one of the titles that I've been tossing up getting a Wii for (and if I did it would probably be a USA Wii since not only is it cheaper but Nintendo are still retards with region coding) so for those who have it, would it be worth a purchase, since the whole "party" atmosphere of the console really doesn't interest me in the slightest, could Radiant Dawn maintain interest as a single player console? (And I ask this because Path of Radiance was the sole reason I purchased a cube, so outside of the retro titles my actual Wii library would probably be minimal and would start with Radiant Dawn)

Prince Geass Falenas

2327939 Potch
1337 Soldiers
3028000 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

jjrrs wrote:
By the way, is anyone else being forced to decide between getting either this game or Mario Galaxy but not both? It's no big loss to me since I don't play my Wii much as I'm dusting it off for Fire Emblem, plus I'm not a big Mario/platformer guy anyways so I would have likely just saved the money for Mass Effect, but it seems Mario Galaxy is the type of game that makes a system like Gears of War did for the 360 last year, so it must be a hard decision for those that's been waiting for both games.
Sort of....at least I...er...we reserved Mario Galaxy a long time ago
Now that I missed looking out for Fire Emblem before it's release date I'll have to wait for a coupon in the mail and get it later to make it worth "not reserving it beforehand"

Or so is my impression since it's close to the holiday season and all
sighhhhhhh
Or maybe I'll just give in an go ahead and get it tonight or tomorrow :*laugh*:

jjrrs

481481 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

So far even with the new save system this game is still kicking my ass, all the characters are pretty weak except for Sothe, as he is the only one even close to being a tanker, and unlike the past few games you don't have a rider for quite a while so nobody can stretch the battlefield or carry another unit efficiently, plus nobody avoid hits well or get critical hits often so anytime when two enemies gain up on one character, he/she will likely die. I must have already seen the Game Over screen a dozen times after about five stages, and I would have to at least double my current playing time just to get to this point if it wasn't for the new save system.
Drizzt

Rangers Of Mielikki

250081 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

@ eXistence of Fly: Radiant Dawn will also be the 'decider' for my purchasing a Wii (though there are other 'exclusive' titles I want for the system). I haven't got around to getting one yet, but I'll also get mine shipped in from the U.S, and damn the voltage converters; I'll just get a new power supply.) A lot of trouble to go to but Premods in Aus don't fully support other region imports. Pity non-U.S genuine gamers have to go to such lengths to play decent RPGs these days. :wink:
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: