Suikoden Unique and Illegal Kosher Oblique Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Fire Emblem
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Flare

Flying Bolts of Doom

680830 Potch
3700 Soldiers
400 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:32 pm    Post subject: Fire Emblem Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I was quite surprised that there hasn't already been a topic made on this. So, does anyone else play the Fire Emblem games? I've played all of the ones released in the US. Personally I think they should release FE6 in the US as well, but yeah.
Aurelien

1567728 Potch
0 Soldiers
157 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I have played and finished Fire Emblem 7 and 8, and currently playing Fire Emblem 4. I'm quite surprised that people say that Fire Emblem 4 is very easy because I certainly don't feel that way. To me, Fire Emblem 4 is by far 'better' than 7&8 (both are very similar) in terms of gameplay and also level of difficulty.

I haven't managed to get my hands on Fire Emblem 5 and 6 (two that I am quite interested). I've heard lots of good things about 6 so I'm wondering what made it so special compared to the others, and I'm mainly interested in 5 because that's the one many people seem to consider as the most difficult one.

I have a question about Fire Emblem 6 though, is it similar to Fire Emblem 7 or 8? As in, limited unit used per chapter, short chapter length with around 30 chapters til the end, and so on?

~City-States of Jowston and Tinto Republic~
06.06.2004 - 20.01.2008

Flare

Flying Bolts of Doom

680830 Potch
3700 Soldiers
400 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Based on what I've seen and heard about it, FE6 is almost exactly like FE7.
Leb

Pizza Toppings

497133 Potch
936 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The handheld Fire Emblems are nearly indistinguishable. The series itself has always followed the pattern that Black Pesmerga described, and the fourth installment was the the only one to really venture from it greatly. The fifth and sixth are very similar to the seventh, eighth, and ninth.

Sword of Seals is only popular because of Roy, since everyone's "yay roy" I guess. Thracia 776 lives up to its reputation as an absolutely brutal game, however.
Aurelien

1567728 Potch
0 Soldiers
157 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Wow, if it's very similar to number 7, then maybe I'm not too hot for Fire Emblem 6. Not that I don't like the gameplay elements, but I think I've had quite enough from 7 and 8 just because they're very similar. Going with another similar-ish game again would be too much for me.

Playing Fire Emblem 4 has given me a bit of fresh air from that series as number 4 allowed us to use everyone we have (though I ended up leaving out a few characters untouched as I don't like them) and the chapters are significantly longer (think more like 1 chapter as a combination of 3-4 chapters in Fire Emblem 7).

06.06.2004 - 20.01.2008

Leb

Pizza Toppings

497133 Potch
936 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

You might want to consider trying Tear Ring Saga for the Playstation then, as the head designer of the fourth title (and it predecessors) went on to develop that.

The maps in the GBA installments were some of the smallest in the series. Thracia 776 in particular had some pretty darn big chapters.
Drizzt

Rangers Of Mielikki

250081 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

There have actually been a few Fire Emblem discussions before, though I suppose they were not overly general-FE topics.

You should really only get Fuuin no Tsurugi if you enjoyed the storyline of the seventh instalment, as that title was a prequel to Fire Emblem 6. As far as general comparisons to the other games...well I'm not big on doing that as I enjoy them all.

I'm eagre to check out Goddess Of Dawn (as it has been named at fan sites) when it is released on the Nintendo Wii in the future, which would probably mark the time where I'll actually purchase a Wii. :wink: Don't know too much about the new title, but I'll be getting it either way; just like new Suikoden ventures. (Meaning I never let bad reviews deter me from buying new RPGs; should there be any hate for GoD.)
Leb

Pizza Toppings

497133 Potch
936 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The tenth installment is a sequel to Path of Radiance, taking place three years later and with Sothe as lead. That's about it.
Sialeeds

Jowston loyalists

339093 Potch
55 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

[noob] You all probably know it but could you write down the titels from these parts 4,5,6,7,8,9?
I only kno sacred stones, path of radiance and the part with Lyn, Eliwood and Hector. [/noob]
Aurelien

1567728 Potch
0 Soldiers
157 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Fire Emblem I: The Dragon of Darkness and Sword of Light
Fire Emblem II: Fire Emblem Gaiden
Fire Emblem III: Mystery of the Emblem
Fire Emblem IV: Genealogy of the Holy War
Fire Emblem V: Thracia 776
Fire Emblem VI: Swords of the Seals (Sealed Swords?)
Fire Emblem VII: Blazing Sword
Fire Emblem VIII: The Sacred Stones
Fire Emblem IX: Path of Radiance
Fire Emblem X: Goddess of the Dawn (Unconfirmed?)

Hope that helps.

06.06.2004 - 20.01.2008

Masa

Fightin' Nac Mac Feegle

418570 Potch
0 Soldiers
10000 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I've played the two US GBA games, still haven't got around to the Gamecube game.

It's a good series, but Advance Wars is tons better and tons more replayable.

Flying Bolts of Doom

680830 Potch
3700 Soldiers
400 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sothe looks really buff in Goddess of Dawn. I saw a pic of him. There's also going to be some girl named Miyaka or something like that as one of the main characters. I think she's a mage or something.
Aurelien

1567728 Potch
0 Soldiers
157 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I have a few questions for the Fire Emblem players here.

1. What do you like about Fire Emblem? (or in other words, why do you play it?)
2. Which one is your favorite Fire Emblem and why? (also mention which one you've played so we know which to compare)
3. Do you have any favorite character, if yes, who and why?
4. Is there anything about Fire Emblem that you don't like? If yes, what?

As for my own answers:

1. What I like about Fire Emblem is the gameplay element. It seriously is quite sad from storyline perspective. Out of the ones that I've played, they all seem to have same basic story. We are attacked by lords and barons or whatever position, but those guys are basically just "controlled/used" by some evil people and so on. So I definitely don't play for the storyline, that leaves me with the gameplay. I think it's quite fun to play properly (no crazy leveling up to make super unit) and utilizing as many units as you can.

2. As mentioned, I've played and finished 7 and 8, and currently playing Fire Emblem 4. Out of those three, I definitely like number 4 the most as it has the more interesting storyline (though still not all that great, but better than the other two), and the gameplay is better too.

3. My favorite character among all is Jaffar from Fire Emblem 7. I think from gameplay wise he is an awesome Assassin with his One-Hit-KO. He looks cool for the looks part, and he has interesting story too going from cold-blooded killer to a protective person.

4. Yes there is. As mentioned above, I don't really like the typical storyline. However, I also don't like the fact that the "Fire Emblem" title is a tad misleading with the lack of importance of the item "Fire Emblem". I was always hoping that the Fire Emblem would be important or something. I also dislike the painful process of leveling up the affection level between certain characters (you know, the one where you have to put characters adjacent to one another for gazillion turns).

06.06.2004 - 20.01.2008

Drizzt

Rangers Of Mielikki

250081 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

1. What do you like about Fire Emblem? As an avid fan of the TRPG sub-genre, I took a great liking to Fire Emblem. Unfortunately I hadn't had the pleasure of checking out the series prior to the FE 7; but to the date I've tried them all. I did like the familiar aspects the game shared with Advance Wars, but the storyline for each game was gold in my opinion; generally with the way everyone interacts. The diverse selection of characters and the music are also top points. It's a given why I love the gameplay.

2. Which one is your favorite Fire Emblem and why? Well, I've played all of the nine Fire Emblem titles that exist at the present, but as I cannot read Japanese I'm not too fond of the lousy fan-translations that Hackers have created. Playing the early games semi-blind (meaning no story) seems pointless to me. Kill all enemies and move on the next stage and do the same? What a waste of time. As a result I can only choose from Fire Emblem 6-9; as Fuuin no Tsurugi has an excellent translation, where it only lacks the 'bigtext inserts' for the Prologue and Epilogue scenes.

Back to the point, I'd have to say I favour Fire Emblem 6. While I'd agree the next two games on the GBA each have several little improvements over the title (gameplay elements, mostly) I stand by this decision. The game is more challenging than its prequel (FE 7) and the designers don't seem to hold back as much. More or less you are thrust right into the game and not 'babied' like you are in the Blazing Sword. It was nice to see some old faces again, and I just seemed to have a thoroughly good time throughout the whole game. It was hard to mention a favourite, as they are all quite fun to play.

3. Do you have any favorite character, if yes, who and why? This is a more game-dependant question. However, I'd be inclined to mention Jaffar as Black Pesmerga did before me, though more because he reminds me of certain assassins from some of the fantasy novels I read, though his 'merciless-killer turned noble' angle was pulled off so well. As a character class, I'd choose Myrmidons.

4. Is there anything about Fire Emblem that you don't like? If yes, what? They could up the challenge a bit. For each game, if you train you characters equally enough, it becomes far too easy. All Stat-up items and the like should not be available at any point, and you shouldn't in any circumstance be able to promote until you have reached level 21. Saying 'just don't use them' is useless, as that's beside the point. :wink:

I'd like to add another question to the 'profile':

5. Do you want the creators to continue the series on the GBA/DS, or would you prefer they leave the hand-held realm aside and concentrate wholly on new Ninendo Wii/console titles?

5. I don't really mind, in the sense that I'll check them all out in one way or another. They have the ability to make some really impressive Fire Emblem titles on the Wii, but I'd hope they wouldn't overlook the story or new gameplay elements just to have 'showy' graphics. Multiple teams could work on either type of Fire Emblem game, but the more FEs the better, I suppose.
Flare

Flying Bolts of Doom

680830 Potch
3700 Soldiers
400 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

1. What do you like about Fire Emblem?
I like the characters. That's a major factor in how much I like a game. They have good and interesting personalities. I also like how you can pick who ends up dating/married to who.

2. Which one is your favorite Fire Emblem and why?
For comparison, I have played all of the US released ones (Fire Emblem, Fire Emblem: Sacred Stones, Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance). I like PoR the best. I like the 3Dness. It makes the game much more enjoyable. I also LOVE the laguz. They are awesomeness. I think the story is good, although some parts of it are extremely predictable, but, nevertheless, enjoyable.

3. Do you have any favorite character, if yes, who and why?
My favorite character, right now anyways, is Soren. I think that his story is so sad and I feel sorry for him because everyone hates him. when he is only speaking his mind. I have found him to be an extremely powerful sage, too. I don't know, I just felt drawn to his character.

4. Is there anything about Fire Emblem that you don't like? If yes, what?
I wish that characters could have more than 5 total support conversations. I realize that in the case of romantic relationships that it's a tad necessary, but in all other cases, you should be able to get all 3 conversations.

5. Do you want the creators to continue the series on the GBA/DS, or would you prefer they leave the hand-held realm aside and concentrate wholly on new Ninendo Wii/console titles?
I think that they should continue the series on both the GBA/DS and Wii. Both systems have their advantages and disadvantages to the series. I like the portability of the GBA FEs, but I like the graphics on PoR.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: