Suikoden United and Irenic Karma Objective Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Eragon-the movie
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tonberry

The Tonberry Eggsperience

1819401 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

~cracks his knuckles~

Well, well. I've finally seen it. Let me just go black, since I'll be spoiling.

What the heck were they thinking? How are they possibly going to make a second movie? Does anyone know if they plan to make Eldest into a movie? Seriously, they left out far too much. Where was the baby Eragon was supposed to "bless"? Where were the twins? Where were the pointy ears? Were those guys with beards actually dwarves? Where is Eragon's curse? Where was Teirm? Why didn't Angela show up again? Where was that large crystal structure that Arya was supposed to knock down? Where was Roran's girl? Where was the snow in Carvahall?

Bah! I haven't read the book in over a year, but I still remember more than what was included. I had more questions while watching the movie, but I don't remember them.

The movie was good for people who haven't read the book and never intend to. It was good for a stand alone. Still, I have no idea of how a second movie could be made. They'd have a lot of "Oh yeah, by the way, Eragon got cursed, even though he seemed fine at the end" and "Oh yeah, by the way, there was this baby that Eragon tried to bless" explanations. It will be terrible, no matter how they do it.

So, I guess I'm glad I saw it, because it was great, but reading the book made me dislike this rendition of the story. Heck, I half expected Eragon and Arya to kiss in the end.[/rant]
Axiose

Altruistic Apparitions

100019091 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Tonberry, I still havn't seen it but, do you really think they'll be concerned with how close they are to the plot of the second book if they've missed so much out of the first book.

I mean really...they didn't even include Elvira? She was the saving grace of Eldest.

By curse, do you mean Eragon's scar? If they didn't include that then most of his training is pointless.

[Axiose] [Fliktor]
Tonberry

The Tonberry Eggsperience

1819401 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

That's what I mean. They did show Eragon getting hit on his back, so I guess they can introduce the scar later, but he wasn't at all weakened after the battle.
Nimble Jack

Guard of the Old Way

319192 Potch
250 Soldiers
125 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Not to mention that the battle with the Shade happened in air after he had summoned some wierd shadow ghost dragon thing. I hated that, it had no real purpose other than them wanting to make cool looking special effects. If they had kept the duel to something closer to the book then they could have made it really suspensful. The Shade also didn't have his cool sword with the scratch on it, and his hair looked like they colored it with the worst dye they could lay their hands on. I was terribly dissapointed with the Shade. Not to mention that Galbatorix didn't want Eragon dead ever. I think Murtagh explained it in the second book, that Galbatorix knew that Saphira was the last female dragon and he wanted her to stay alive so he could make more dragons. The movie also changed what happens when a dragon/dragon rider dies. In the book I thought that it didn't matter who died, but if one died the connection between the two was so powerful that the other could die as well. Which places more imphasis on the dragon and the rider being equals, the movie didn't do that. All of the emphasis was on Eragon, "I'm the rider and I say we go." What kind of crap is that?

I was not a fan of the movie, as you can tell. My biggest grievance against it is that the entire movie was rushed. I can deal with that when it's nessesary, like in Lord of the Rings especially Return of the King, it was close to three hours long, they couldn't really make it any longer. With Eragon, it was an hour and a half, with scenes skipped and characters simplified or nonexistant (Guy in Teirm, Roran's girl, the Werecat) they didn't have any excuse to rush through the story like they did. And at the same time that they were taking out cool characters they put in cheesy scenes with Galbatorix talking and being the stupid angry evil guy. I feel like I could rant about this for a long time.

The ear thing didn't really bother me that much, they might have left it out becuase they didn't want to look too much like Lord of the Rings. It bothered me more that Arya was awake, and flirting with Eragon on the way down to the Varden. I missed Arya from the books, (more)I wanted to see her kick Eragon's ass, and be an emotional stone wall, but no the movie had to op out of that for a corny flirt deal.
Sparhawk

Lords of Foolishness

207476 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

You guys have convinced me not to see this movie...If I see it, i'll pull a South Park and go to the producers house for a refund...

Solemn Sound

330634 Potch
100 Soldiers
48 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I liked the movie it was decent. at least good enough to watch at least once in my opinion.

I just got it on DVD today actually

Gil-galad

Flame of the West

2849957 Potch
200 Soldiers
46 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It was not the worst movie by any means-- but it could have been such a good movie, and that's why fans are angry. It's one of the better fantasy stories written in recent years, and the way the book is written makes it a very easy conversion to movie. However, the over simplified an already pretty simple story. This over simplification left out a lot of essential details for the second book, which really makes me wonder how the second movie is going to work.

I really do hope that the Eragon movie is remade at some point in the future... It has such high potential. bleh.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
SolemnSound

Solemn Sound

330634 Potch
100 Soldiers
48 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

oh I see...

I have never read the books so I wouldnt know. I just went to see the movie because i like dragons =D

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Media All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: