Suikoden Utopian and Inspirational Knowledge Objective Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Eragon-the movie
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Flare

Flying Bolts of Doom

680830 Potch
3700 Soldiers
400 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 2:01 am    Post subject: Eragon-the movie Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Has anybody seen it yet? I'm excited for it. I can't get to it until Sunday, though. It looks really good, and I thank God that they didn't make Saphira (for those who don't know, she's the dragon) look like crap. I am slightly saddened that I can already find errors in the movie just from the commercials, but that's to be expected, I suppose....
Tonberry

The Tonberry Eggsperience

1819401 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I have read both of the books in the series, so I am pretty excited to see it. I already can guess that I will see the movie more than once. It looks pretty good to me, though some of the actors and actresses don't look much like the characters in the books. I sincerely hope that they don't mess up the relationship with Eragon and Arya, by making such a relationship exist. If they do something like that, the second movie (if it will ever be made) will come out all wrong. I do believe that Eragon, Brom, and Saphira look very much like I had them in my brain. I'm happy about that, at least. I can't wait to see how they do Roran. He may have been in one of the trailers, but I can't remember very well.
Axiose

Altruistic Apparitions

100019091 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think Durza the Shade looks awful (Robert Carlye was a terrible choice) and I just can't picture John Malcovic as Galbatorix - the fact the he's seen in the current plot in the trailers is all wrong. Nobody has even seen the man in the book. Kind steals some of the mystique. I do, however, like the look of Murtagh (he was the man who played Patriclus in Troy).

I'm not over joyed about the film to be honest. I trailers make it look tacky and the reviews I've seen aren't great (they just confirmed what I thought about it). I'll watch it but I'm not looking foward to it.

Also - why did they change the Dragon symbol (can't remember what they call it in the book) from an oval on the hand where he first touched Saphira to a daft little dragon spiral - that looks daft.

[Axiose] [Fliktor]
Wataru

The Light Fantastic

59113 Potch
0 Soldiers
515589 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Now I've never read the books, although I want to, but the movie was pretty awful. Visually it was really good, but the plot was a cliche factory from start to finish. Jeremy Irons was decent (and much less ridiculously over-the-top than the D&D movie), but I kept getting flashes of Ted watching the character of Eragon (young man with a bow and a glowing magic symbol on his hand). I really enjoyed Saphira, both visually and character-wise. Rachel Weisz did a great job (and she's in everything nowadays ain't she?) Malkovich supplied a lot of bad campy acting, though. I shouldn't say "a lot" since he had about four lines of dailogue, but you get the idea. There was a lot of wasted talent, too. Dijmon Honshu and Alun Armstrong are both fantastic actors who did nothing in the film. Speaking of doing nothing, what was the deal with the cousin? I assume he is important in the books, but it was puzzling to have a character disappear 10 minutes in and then never appear/be spoke of again. Additionally, who the hell was the guy with the black hair? I know WHO he is and all that plot stuff, but where the hell did he come from? Did they even mention his name in the movie?

Now, on to the good. Costume design was breathtaking, especailly the Varden battle armor. Eragon's leather vest looked too good for a poor farmboy (machine-made stitches and plastic buckles...), but the costumes and effects were very well done. I was also impressed by the cinematography. Beautiful landscapes and camera work. Where was it filmed BTW?

I'll see the second one (if it gets made), but I wasn't too impressed.

Mikan weeps for Brady

246380 Potch
175 Soldiers
50 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

That just doesn't look like something that would interest me. I haven't read any of the books, didn't even know there were any books, but just judging from the commercials it seemed like it would be all style and no substance. Plus I've found I'm usually not a fan of the medieval fantasy type movies. I really couldn't get into the Lord of the Rings movies, so I'm pretty sure that this one wouldn't be for me.

~Uguu!~
Flare

Flying Bolts of Doom

680830 Potch
3700 Soldiers
400 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

I think Durza the Shade looks awful (Robert Carlye was a terrible choice)

I agree. He just doesn't look evil enough.
Quote:

but the plot was a cliche factory from start to finish

The genre is so massive though, it's hard not to have things look like they were stolen from other places. I already did a small rant on this on suikosource, and I don't really feel like doing it again...
Tonberry

1819401 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Paolini stole so much from Tolkein. It's insane. Forunately, it doesn't bother me. :D

Even though people are saying that it's mediocre, I'll still see it. It isn't every day that a fantasy (D&D style, that is) movie comes out. If only they'd make some movies out of Salvator's work. :(
Axiose

Altruistic Apparitions

100019091 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Wataru *SPOILERS FOR THE BOOKS* don't expect Dijmon Honshu to have a big part in the future films as he dies at the start of the second book and his daughter takes over the Varden. Roran has a huge part in the second book, in fact, he was the reason I kept on reading as his story is far more interesting than Eragon's (which is mind numbingly dull in the second book).

Also, I think the dude with black hair is Murtagh (though I havn't seen it so I'm not sure who you're talking about for sure). I always pictured him as looking older (in fact, he's meant to be older than Eragon if I remember) than he does in the film.

[Axiose] [Fliktor]
Aurelien

1567728 Potch
0 Soldiers
157 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

SPOILERS of things I like in the movie, and things that I don't like in the movie. Highlight the following to read if you don't mind about spoilers.

Things that I like:
1. The graphics look very nice. The dragon looks really good.
2. The music is also nice, which is quite weird since I barely noticed music in movies.
3. Jeremy Irons really suits to play this kind of movie.
4. The battle armor of Arya is really cool.

Things that I don't like:
1. The dragon going from baby to adult by "flying through clouds" (seriously WTF?)
2. The scenic route of travelling (at the beach, etc)
3. The sudden change of pace from "let's hurry" into "let's see what your training can do"
4. Joss Stone .. she looks really out of place. Stick to singing, please.
5. The character Eragon and his behaviour (one time smart, next time stupid)
6. The rebel leader's armor!! Especially the helmet. So ugly.
7. No elves and no dwarves in the movie despite being mentioned!! (I like elves)

END SPOILERS

Overally, it's really a so-so movie. As long as you don't expect epic type of movie, you should be fine. And of course, one that has read the book should expect some changes implemented in the movie.

~City-States of Jowston and Tinto Republic~
06.06.2004 - 20.01.2008

Gil-galad

Flame of the West

2849957 Potch
200 Soldiers
46 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

There were tons of book to movie errors, that I won't even bother going over. It almost felt the screenwriters only read a sparknotes version of the book-- or maybe not even, and they just had to breifly explained to them by someone who didn't understand it very well. The reason I was that it feels like a spark notes version, is because they hit most of the major scenes, but they completely skip any character development.

That said-- the most annoying thing in the movie was that Arya did not have pointy ears. x_x;; I know that's nit picking-- but she's an elf princess, why doesn't she have pointy ears! =P

Last edited by Gil-galad on Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Shrew

The All-Star Rock n' Breakdance Electronic Band from Shenzhen

237023 Potch
110 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

[quote]Paolini stole so much from Tolkein. It's insane. Forunately, it doesn't bother me. Very Happy [/qupte]
I've actually heard much more about him stealing from Star Wars than from Tolkien. I haven't read the books (I'm not wild about fantasy) so I can't judge myself, but what the anti-Eragon propagandists put out makes it look really bad. Fantasy in general tends to be a bunch of cliches and stolen worlds, and the plot follows the usual "Heroic Awakening" archetype, so it should gain a bit of leeway.

I just think every sensitive kid raised on Star Wars who tried to write a book at 15 would come up with the same plot. (I pretty much did, only I couldn't write worth shit.)

I doubt I'll see the movie though. It just... doesn't interest me at all.

Fear our Vagueness.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Jorge Prima

La Raza de Héroes y Protectores de Osito

938390 Potch
1120 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I haven't read any of the books, but I might watch it today. I am not to much into fantasy books, but the movie seems like its going to be decent. I am mainly going to watch for my love of dragon riders.

J et J

Angelus on Aftershave wrote:
But it stings SO GOOD.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Tonberry

1819401 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Shrew wrote:
I've actually heard much more about him stealing from Star Wars than from Tolkien.

You do bring up a very good point. He did steal extremely important aspect from Star Wars. For those of you who've read it, I really only need to say one word: Morzan (Highlight)

Ax, I couldn't agree with you more about the second book. (Highlight again) Roran's story was much more entertaining. I loved him and his Carvahall gang. It was way more interesting than Eragon training and trying miserably to get together with Arya. The final battle in the book was pretty good, though. I just don't know why he didn't use that potion that Oromis gave him to help him fight Murtagh. And yes, Murtagh is supposed to be older than Eragon. You're right, Ax.

She doesn't have pointy ears, Gil-Galad? That's insane! What kind of people produced this movie? Seriously.
Aurelien

1567728 Potch
0 Soldiers
157 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

As far as the impression that I got from watching the movie, Arya seemed to be a human in the movie (though I then read that she is an Elf in the book). There was no indication whatsoever that she was an Elf in the movie. All that was mentioned is that she's from somewhere (and maybe that 'somewhere' is an Elf town or something?). Or heck, maybe the Elves in the movie don't have pointy ears or something lol. It's really weird, but I didn't notice it in the movie because I didn't read the book.

And Jorge, if you love dragon riders, don't really expect Eragon to be filled with dragon riders or whatnot. They're far from that, and to be honest, I wish the story was about the war between the dragon riders instead. That would've been awesome. I really want to see a movie where there are LOTS of dragons and in a big war between one another rather than "us (humans) vs them (dragons or bad guys who have dragons on their side)"

~City-States of Jowston and Tinto Republic~
06.06.2004 - 20.01.2008

Flare

Flying Bolts of Doom

680830 Potch
3700 Soldiers
400 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Mmk, I saw it yesterday. If you haven't read the books, I'd recommend doing so before you see the movie. If you saw the movie first, don't judge the books on the movie. The movie did a poor job, IMO, of representing the books. I was sadly disappointed that they didn't taper Arya's ears, if even slightly. And yes, Saphira's random growth was just that, random. In short, I felt that the movie was rushed, full of errors, and incomplete. They should've made it longer. It really needed, prolly about 2 and a half hours to really do it justice. Not the crappy hour and a half.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Media All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: