Suikoden Uncanny and Illegal Kosher Ontic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Suiko JR

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kuwaizair

blauuurgggh!

174392 Potch
0 Soldiers
1291 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:00 pm    Post subject: Suiko JR Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

ok, this may border on "fan fiction-ish" but what would you, die hard fans do if they made a "kiddy suikoden"?

a game with a 'not so hard hitting plot of sorrow, loss, war, betrayal, friendship and comroderoy", still having runes, having 'battles' but more like playground wars (or fighting wars with monsters?)

what would it be like, and would it be an offence to the essence of Suikoden?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Eden

Private Godwin Army

560494 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I personally think that this isn't such a great idea, because the "hard hitting plot, the sorrow, loss, war, betrayal, friendship and comradery" is the essence of Suikoden. I know that many people feel that the true runes are somewhat like the main point of the games, but I disagree. Nonetheless am I convinced that you could tell a story for children involving runes, only that it wouldn't be a Suikoden game aside from the name.
It was always some sort of trademark that the story of a Suikoden game contains more of the named above, more than some other RPGs... I really love the depth the games have in some situations and regarding some emotions and story-parts. To take these "adult themes" away in order to create a version appropriate for children would do the series and fanbase no real favour.

The Fool
SuikoGator

6724 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It's also unnecesary. I played Suikoden I when it first came out back in the mid-late 90s. Not sure the exact year, but lets say 9 years ago. That would make me 12 at the time, and I fully appreciated that game.
Yvl

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It's fine as it is, even for kids. I've shown the entirety of Suikoden 1 to my nephew, who was 5 at the time. Dunno if he got what all it meant at the time, but he seemed interested.

Crimson Grass

1177898 Potch
114 Soldiers
940 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Eden wrote:
the "hard hitting plot, the sorrow, loss, war, betrayal, friendship and comradery" is the essence of Suikoden.

Amen.

They have to have something other than the usual drama to be able to hook the audience, and I think it would be very difficult to find that something, if it even exists at all.
Eden

Private Godwin Army

560494 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Highwind wrote:
They have to have something other than the usual drama to be able to hook the audience, and I think it would be very difficult to find that something, if it even exists at all.

Yeah, the great story was one major point, which made me love SUikoden more than Final Fantasy for example. FF is always about a group of persons then eventually rescued the whole planet, universe or timeline... I haven't played part XII and Suikoden III was in many points the same, but the difference still exists.

That difference was able to show a more realistic (in some ways) story than FF, which in the end helped to phrase the emotions of the individual, like sorrow and loss and all the other stuff. Anyway, I don't want to turn this into a FF vs Suikoden thread and accept that other people have a different opinion and prefer FF over Suikoden.

The Fool
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I must've played the first at a very young age, I liked it and played through it, nothing needs to be altered to make appeal for younger gamers in my view.
kuwaizair

blauuurgggh!

174392 Potch
0 Soldiers
1291 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yvl wrote:
It's fine as it is, even for kids. I've shown the entirety of Suikoden 1 to my nephew, who was 5 at the time. Dunno if he got what all it meant at the time, but he seemed interested.

posslby so, the colors and music, and "its a vidio game!!!" I don't know how much of the story kids would understand. I take you read him the text?

that sounds like an intersting study no?

I knew I'd get these reactions, I was just wondering what it would be like, if it tweeked into a differnt style of plot and gameplay. Kind of how they made some SMT games for kids (that I hear play more like a Pokemon)
so there we go.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Archy

PRAISE BE TO... GROOOWL RAINING BLOOD

506257 Potch
0 Soldiers
800 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The idea of a Suikoden aimed directly at a children fanbase? Wouldn't work. What Eden said sums it all up.

They could, however, make a spin-off simulation game featuring Chiepoo as the main character, involving business management. Who knows, your children may become billionaires in the future after endless hours of playing the game.

Celes Tilly wrote:
If one of you were to ask, "Celes, what is Twisted Sister?" I would tell you God's honest truth.

"Butt rock."
Sailor Sexy

Mikan weeps for Brady

246380 Potch
175 Soldiers
50 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'd rather they greatly limit any nods to the existence of Suikoden IV. Both attempts at that thing have been less than favorable.

I don't really see why one would need to adjust the game for kids. I don't see the themes as terribly mature rated. Is talking about death really that taboo for children? It's not like it shows graphic blood and gore. Heck, I don't even recall seeing any blood in S5, even though there should have been some. Maybe I've just forgotten.

~Uguu!~
Yvl

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

posslby so, the colors and music, and "its a vidio game!!!" I don't know how much of the story kids would understand. I take you read him the text?

Pretty much. He played the minigames himself though.

blauuurgggh!

174392 Potch
0 Soldiers
1291 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sailor Sexy wrote:
Is talking about death really that taboo for children? It's not like it shows graphic blood and gore. Heck, I don't even recall seeing any blood in S5, even though there should have been some. Maybe I've just forgotten.

ahh! I know this one. Some people rather not have characters in a childrens thingy die, or show them die. I'm thinking of a 7 to 10 age range. Bad guys die, not best friends in games. Sure "a Taste of Blackberries" and (i think) "a Bridge to Tirbertha" had characters die, but its not like, those characters were best friends, then they went to war, fought eachother and you had to kill your friend. You could use Harry Potter as an example aginst this, but he is supposed to grow up with the readers.

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: