Suikoden Uncanny and Inspirational Kibbutz Orgazmic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Play Any Instruments?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ezekiel

Mediocre Archer

119921 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Cloudless Eye wrote:
I play a lot of guitar. As far as shit I've learned; most of it is really fast metal. I mean, I like softer stuff but I don't care to much to play it. I mean, it bores me I guess. That and I really like the crunch you can get with a lot of heaviness combined with distortion.

Oooh, I know what you mean man. That heavy distorted sound is amazing. Kind of like the sound koRn always uses.

Eyepatches of the Faith

397934 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

HarmonianHiccup wrote:

I wonder how many of us have actually taken lessons or played in band/orchestra or in some other gourp...? I did for flute and I took piano lessons, but the rest was pretty much self-taught. My dad taught me the basics of guitar and I learned the rest myself and someone also taught me basic Bodhran.

I was an Orchestra geek from 4th grade until my sophomore year in college. Being around other musicians gave me some of my best high school memories.

Flame of the West

2849957 Potch
200 Soldiers
46 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
I wonder how many of us have actually taken lessons or played in band/orchestra or in some other gourp...?

I'm in the band at my school, and some times I play with a few community bands, and such. I've had lessons for Bass/Tenor Trombone, and Euphonium since I was in the fourth grade. I plan to continue with them, and hopefully study music in college, and then hopefully after that become a professional musician.

I'm with Geddoe-- being in the band has got me some of my best High School memories. That, and we get to travel a lot as a band, which is nice, because I get to travel with tons of friends that I wouldn't normally get to travel with. I really enjoy it. I also really enjoy music, if you couldn't tell. ^^

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Cloudless Eye

Advance Pawns

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
800 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ezekiel wrote:
Cloudless Eye wrote:
I play a lot of guitar. As far as shit I've learned; most of it is really fast metal. I mean, I like softer stuff but I don't care to much to play it. I mean, it bores me I guess. That and I really like the crunch you can get with a lot of heaviness combined with distortion.

Oooh, I know what you mean man. That heavy distorted sound is amazing. Kind of like the sound koRn always uses.

Close, but not exactly. koRn gets that sound because their lead guitarist uses a spark plug in the studio; which gives them that almost elastic sound. I refer more to the heavily down-tuned, distorted sound more along the lines of Pantera. More like a happy medium between Pantera and Slayer. However; koRn's guitar tones are very similar to the guitar tones found on some of Slayer's older stuff.
Cleife

Sand Raider

142654 Potch
300 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, I just can play flute... Not too good, though

And I think I won't joining any band until I could play as good as the flute player from Super U (Great band that I got from freeindie :)). Also, there are really few bands that has a flute player...

8481 Potch
156 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I am also a guitarist. I prefere the good mix between hard and soft. Sometimes I play heavy distorted and sometimes clean with a light delay... It's always the good mix which makes the guitar playing interesting. My idol is Dimebag Darrell Abott! May he rest in peace.
Geddoe-9

The pahtless dude

156000 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Whos the bet band when it comes to instrumensts
Dilber Novum

8481 Potch
156 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I would say... Dream Theater, Pantera... and all the Jazz stuff...
Cloudless Eye

Advance Pawns

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
800 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm with Dilber; Dimebag is actually really damn good. Extreme experimentation with his guitar turned him into an idol with a unique style. So ya.. Pantera is great. Metallica's older stuff was pretty technical. Mercyful Fate was just insane. Newer stuff; Mastodon actually has some pretty great music.
Archy

PRAISE BE TO... GROOOWL RAINING BLOOD

506257 Potch
0 Soldiers
800 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'd say Dragonforce, but ZP Theart sucks badly, so I'll say Herman Li and Totman.

Wait, you were talking about a band? Pantera is good, but I'll have to say...

EXTREME.

Celes Tilly wrote:
If one of you were to ask, "Celes, what is Twisted Sister?" I would tell you God's honest truth.

"Butt rock."
Shad

Midnight

4252503 Potch
200 Soldiers
38 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm going to hop on the Dimebag bandwagon there. For as much as I've distanced myself from anything mainstream, it's hard to put on anything that man's recorded and keep your eyes from popping out of your head. André Olbrich, Smith/Murray/Gers, Luca Turilli, and Alexi Laiho deserve a lot of credit too of course, and those guys from Dragonforce. John Petrucci and Satch and the whole prog scene might have technical proficiency to their names, but their songwriting abilities blow, which pushes them down a notch. And let's not forget Andy McKee. You don't have to play electric to be a god. :)

Speaking of which, I bought a new acoustic today! I now have three acoustics, a banjo, drums, and an accordion in my room, a fourth acoustic lent out at the moment, and a fifth and sixth back home along with an electric, bass, sax, and keyboard. o_o This new one is damn nice though. It's a Cordoba brand Gitano D-5, made in Spain.

Oh, for the band/chorus question, I sang really well in elementry school apparently, as I had the lead roll in all the plays there. In middle school I switched to band and played saxaphone. In high school I switched to guitar and played with my friends instead, which was infinitely more rewarding.
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Andy McKee is good, he has a nice kind of Michael Hedge style that comes through more personal and engrossing then his "friend he never met." :P A lot of players just play as fast as they can these days and call it a song, which is why there has been a boost in more melodic and paced guitar playing.

As for your guitar Shad, cool beans! Going to play some Django on it? How much did it cost?
Shad

Midnight

4252503 Potch
200 Soldiers
38 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It cost me $350 and came with a stand. Probably the best deal I've ever come across - my last guitar ran me $1,600. As for playing Django, I doubt it. I love jazz, but it doesn't suit me. I'm all about playing rhythm-driven stuff and traditional Irish music. This guitar had the perfect sound for that to me. A lot of guitars don't seem to possess the same volume and intensity between strings when strummed at full force, and others are equal but too mellow or tinny all around to play anything aggressive. This guitar has a very robust sound that's consistent across the fret board, perfect when you're generally hitting three or four strings at once rather than playing leads.
Creepr

Bow Jester Squadron

8634 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, I Play the drums. I've played them for most of my life and I still don't consider me so good at it. Lately, I've ben feeling kinda guilty about it because with college and all I haven't had much time to keep practicing.
Septimus

43015 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Having guilt for not practicing is a bad thing to do. Nothing good will come out of it. If you don't have the time, you should rather concider yourself taking a break. If you have time, you should practice if you want. If you don't want to, you can again call it a break, and pick it up again when you can, instead of going around and thinking about it.

Anyway. I've been playing piano since I was 6, and French horn since I was 7 in my old school's band, so that has been nothing serious. I started playing guitar 2 1/2 years ago, and have gotten rather decent in that time. I'm completely autodidact, self-thought, since I have the basic musical skills from 6 years of piano classes.

Now I've set up a home studio here home. I've got a great suite of programs, and I've learnt how MIDI controllers and other MIDI stuff works, and how ReWire application works, and why it's awesome to use. I'm hoping to finish my first album before this year is over, and then start working on something more serious.

Next year, I might take a musician education at the Nordic Institute for Scene and Sound, and might end up as an artist, if I'm lucky.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: