Suikoden Uncanny and Illegal Knowledge Old Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Play Any Instruments?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
HarmonianHiccup

Over-Enthusiastic Archaeologists

1333002 Potch
444 Soldiers
440 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Keriaku wrote:
Philosopherking wrote:
If we are counting singing I can scream like some of the guys in the screamo bands >_>

dont know if anyone counts that though...

You've tried screaming like that? I like screamo bands, but I can't imagine any kind of situation where you'd scream like that if you weren't actually, like on stage or something... o___O

I have a friend who does it regularly. I tell ya, it's a headache in a bag. I prefer "real" singing...

Proud Owner and Operator of The Hiccup's Speciality Grassland Atelier, the only place to find Electric Whiffle Bats!
Ezekiel

Mediocre Archer

119921 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

As do I. Anyone can just scream stuff. Try stabbing someone, they'll scream, it's natural. I can kind of sing, but I don't like to. I was pestered to join chorus for years, but didn't. Anyone who knows me knows I really don't try anything. Oh well.

Solemn Sound

330634 Potch
100 Soldiers
48 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Keriaku wrote:
Philosopherking wrote:
If we are counting singing I can scream like some of the guys in the screamo bands >_>

dont know if anyone counts that though...

You've tried screaming like that? I like screamo bands, but I can't imagine any kind of situation where you'd scream like that if you weren't actually, like on stage or something... o___O

Im in a scremo/indie rock band, which we are currently on hiatus as we just lost our drummer. I am lead guitarist and back up vocals (screaming) in the band.

my sister hates when my band used to practice here because of the screaming LAWL

its not that easy to control and no not just anyone can scream, well they can, but not the type of screaming in an actual band, at least what I consider a good screaming.

HarmonianHiccup

1333002 Potch
444 Soldiers
440 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I know a lot of people really like it but it does absolutely nothing for me. In fact, the second a singer starts screaming I turn the music off. I feel kind of like "Dude, I'm already listening. You don't have to scream at me." It also loses all of its musicality as far as I'm concerned...:/

Proud Owner and Operator of The Hiccup's Speciality Grassland Atelier, the only place to find Electric Whiffle Bats!
Shad

Midnight

4252503 Potch
200 Soldiers
38 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Screaming adds a whole new level of intensity, brutality, or darkness to music depending on the approach and is just as much a vocal style as any other. Hell some bands can even make it sound pretty. Alcest has plenty of screaming vocals and it's some of the most optimistic-sounding music I've yet encountered. I think completely shutting out anything with non-clear vocals is being pretty close minded, no offense. It can add a whole lot to music, and it's by no means a cop out. It's a lot more difficult to pull of growling/screaming/screeching vocals well than to sing clearly, I think. At least for me it is. People like Mikael Akerfeldt who are absolutely amazing at both boggle my mind.

Keriaku wrote:

Hahaha, screaming at the top of your lungs is really fun if you ask me, even if you're no good at it. Maybe especially if you're no good at it. I recorded two covers today where I go nuts on the vocals, and they're two of my favorite to perform. :)

Since no one seems to read the Covers thread I'll link to them here. By god don't take me seriously. I certainly don't. :) :

Me covering "Baby, I'm an Anarchist" by Against Me!.

And me covering "Ghost" by Neutral Milk Hotel. No screaming, but I'm gasping for breath by the end. ^_^
HarmonianHiccup

1333002 Potch
444 Soldiers
440 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Shad wrote:
\I think completely shutting out anything with non-clear vocals is being pretty close minded, no offense. It can add a whole lot to music, and it's by no means a cop out.

It's not that I'm being close-minded, it's just that I plain don't like it. I've heard plenty of it in all different styles and it doesn't stir a heart-beat. But each to his or her own--that's why music's so great. :)

Geddoe

Eyepatches of the Faith

397934 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I play 5 instruments: Violin, viola, cello, string bass, and piano. The two I'm best at are violin and piano, but it's been a fair number of years since I've picked up either instrument.

And for all of us musicians, I dare you to YouTube 'Pachelbel Rant'. It's the funniest thing you might see all day.

Mediocre Archer

119921 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Geddoe wrote:
I play 5 instruments: Violin, viola, cello, string bass, and piano. The two I'm best at are violin and piano, but it's been a fair number of years since I've picked up either instrument.

<3. Seriously, <3. Five of my most favorite instruments ever, I am incredibly impressed.

Gaien Magic Men

659144 Potch
850 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I play the bass guitar and lead guitar as a hobby, Im not in a band or anything. But maybe I should be, who knows. I still enjoy fiddling around with a new instrument.

1333002 Potch
444 Soldiers
440 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Wow, those strings are NOT easy. I adore listening to them and I discovered very young that we weren't too well suited to each other.

I wonder how many of us have actually taken lessons or played in band/orchestra or in some other gourp...? I did for flute and I took piano lessons, but the rest was pretty much self-taught. My dad taught me the basics of guitar and I learned the rest myself and someone also taught me basic Bodhran.

You know, I think people get into this mentality that you can't learn to play unless you have someone teach you, but I think we're all more cabale than we give ourselves credit to be.

SolemnSound

Solemn Sound

330634 Potch
100 Soldiers
48 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Truth!

however, my mother is a music teacher and she taught me how to play the piano when i was very young and got me interested into music at a very early age because of this. After many years of playing the piano I got interested in the guitar and I went and took guitar lessons at the local music store for a few years. I taught myself how to play bass and the drums (or at least a little bit)

Sophita

The Wee Kitty Grand Duke Defense Brigade

498078 Potch
1330 Soldiers
2725 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

HarmonianHiccup wrote:

I wonder how many of us have actually taken lessons or played in band/orchestra or in some other gourp...? I did for flute and I took piano lessons, but the rest was pretty much self-taught. My dad taught me the basics of guitar and I learned the rest myself and someone also taught me basic Bodhran.

You know, I think people get into this mentality that you can't learn to play
unless you have someone teach you, but I think we're all more cabale than we give ourselves credit to be.

I took lessons to play the piano and I played (alto) saxophone for a couple years in band.

I think it is certainly possible to learn to play on your own; however, I think taking lessons - at least for the basics - is a good idea. It's very hard to tell when you are just beginning to play an instrument whether or not you're getting your fingers in the right position, whether you're making the right sounds, how to read music...Those are all really vital skills to learn. Once you get over the basics I think it is easier to teach yourself, but I think anyone who wants to learn on their own might be facing an uphill battle compared to someone who takes lessons.

It's like learning a language, really. Yes, it's certainly possible to learn on your own. However, it's a lot easier when you have an expert who already knows the pronunciation and the grammar of the language to correct you and teach you the basics.

SCII month continues! DueFiumi.com
John Layfield wrote:
But bubbles... children love bubbles! XD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Geddoe-9

The pahtless dude

156000 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Shit. i realy hae sreamo bands
Archy

PRAISE BE TO... GROOOWL RAINING BLOOD

506257 Potch
0 Soldiers
800 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Geddoe-9 wrote:
Shit. i realy hae sreamo bands

So, what's that got to do with playing instruments?

I'm playing guitar again after a long layoff. The new strings are still a bit hard (harder than the old one) and it takes a bit of getting used to, but it's still the same guitar, just restringed.

I would play bass... if I had one. I don't, though. Same with drums.

Oh, and yes, everyone screams. The question isn't about your ability to scream, it's about how your scream can go along with the music.

Celes Tilly wrote:
If one of you were to ask, "Celes, what is Twisted Sister?" I would tell you God's honest truth.

"Butt rock."
Cloudless Eye

Advance Pawns

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
800 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I play a lot of guitar. As far as shit I've learned; most of it is really fast metal. I mean, I like softer stuff but I don't care to much to play it. I mean, it bores me I guess. That and I really like the crunch you can get with a lot of heaviness combined with distortion.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: