Suikoden Unique and Illegal Karma Omniscient Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Favorite Weapon in Suikoden?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Culture & Geography Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marshmallow

Shikigami

203358 Potch
110 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I have a couple of weapons in the series that I find to be incredibly cool.

Riou's Tonfa: First off, these are somewhat different from tonfa I've seen elsewhere (not that I've seen a ton of them) due to the fact that they seem to be made of thicker, flatter wood, they are longer, and each one has two "tips" (I don't know the technical name for the wood part used to hit things, but I know that Riou's have two on each, while other tonfas just have a bottom "tip")

Killey's Twin Clubs/ Katars: Okay, as much as SARS has already told me that these things are considered to be "twin clubs", they sure as hell look like katars. I'll explain. First off, take a look at this picture http://www.suikosource.com/games/gs2/indepth/runeslots.php It shows Killey attacking an enemy. If you look closely you can see that, not only is Killey attacking in a slashing motion (even though this is possible for clubs) I noticed that the animation inflicted upon the enemy looks like one that would be inflicted by a blade, while one inflicted by a club should look more like a bashing motion. The biggest clue is how Killey holds his weapons. http://www.stkp.com/POSER/katar.jpg There's a picture of a Katar. Notice how the handle is sandwiched between two hand guard type protrusions, while the blade sticks out of the end. It looks strikingly familiar to Killey's weapon IMO.

Anyways, I like this weapon due to the fact that I'm a big fan of the Katar, and I always thought that it would make an interesting weapon to be used in an RPG.

Luc/ Sasarai/ Estella's Magic Rings: I just found this weapon to be neat, since it shoots magic blasts, which just plain looks cool. Also, it's a nice alternative to the staff used by most pure mages. In future games, this weapon could be used by mages as a long range weapon so that they could actually attack while in the back row.
Vincent Chase

1st H.A.C - Spread Your Love

314554 Potch
0 Soldiers
400 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The Magic Rings used by Luc and Sasarai - Bling bling! Although their attacks were weak (it doesn't matter, since they both have true runes), this would be my preferred way to attack people, except I'd take it to the next level and go in there looking like Ali G with six rings on. Luc and Sasarai = High Rollers, may Luc rest in peace, even though Sasarai is still cooler.

Yuber & Pesmerga's Crimson Blade - Big giant swords in the first two, and with that Black Armor it looks really cool. I liked how in Suikoden III it became two swords. If you were to Cosplay Suikoden III Yuber, you'd need some crazy mechanical mastery to get swords to just spring out like that.

The Grosser Fluss - A sword whip with a poison blade? Get me one!

There needs to be another character with a Gun. Guns are pretty cool weapons. people say that it's unrealistic, one shot from a gun would kill you. This is true, but when have RPGs ever been about realism?

Chrono Cross pulled it off, for example, with Norris and Starky, and that game is one of the biggest acid tripfests out there even without them.

I agree with The Bishop that axes and hammers are too heavy, and you'd better be really strong, because if your enemy has a sword and he dodges you, you're catching a blade right through the stomach, or getting your head chopped off. Maces and Flails, however, are cool. They can be pretty lightweight, but if you're strong enough to swing a big one (Example, The Witchking in Lord of the Ring: Return of the King), they can still go pretty fast and do a hell of alot of damage.

Staffs are good because they're quick, but they are also rather weak and only good at distances of over 4 feet or so. Against someone with, say, two swords, where one could be used to deflect the staff and the other to stab the person in the face, it's pretty useless. Naginatas (Sanae Yamamoto, Suikoden III) are much better.

I'd like to see some more variety on the projectile weapons, such as more throwing knives, and I think a really cool weapon for a Suikoden Character would be a Balisong, or Butterfly Knife. The twins from Matrix: Reloaded used butterfly knives, for those unaware. It would be a good close range weapon, and would definently allow for good continual attacking.
Neclord

The Spectral Nightmares

163602 Potch
2 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

marshmallow wrote:
Luc/ Sasarai/ Estella's Magic Rings: I just found this weapon to be neat, since it shoots magic blasts, which just plain looks cool. Also, it's a nice alternative to the staff used by most pure mages. In future games, this weapon could be used by mages as a long range weapon so that they could actually attack while in the back row
I liked these too, I never was much of a fan of the staffs mages used in the past. It seems every game mages always have staffs, the rings added something new and fresh to Suikoden III, and yes you are right it looked very cool. I hope such a thing does happen and they are able to attack from the back row, although that is if they do not keep the 4 person battle system ( lets pray they do not )

You must not fear death, my lads; defy him, and you drive him into the enemy's ranks.
~ Napoleon Bonaparte
Starslasher

Chunks of Chaco-late.

1177790 Potch
300 Soldiers
35 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Perhaps the word you were looking for Prophet, was the Snake sword, to describe the Grosser Fluss. But yeah, the snake sword is a sword that can double as a whip. i definitely wonder about the origins of such a weapon. Was there ever an actually Snake Sword? If not, where did it come from originally? The only other references to the Snake Sword besides Nash's in Suikogaiden was Ivy's in Soul Calibur and in Eve of Desctruction.

Bork! Bork! Bork!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Felipe

Intelligent Turtle

584845 Potch
1200 Soldiers
500 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I like Mondo weapon i dont, it is a good weapon and is easy to use.

Jem'Hadar

221521 Potch
100 Soldiers
5 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

My favorite is the Crimson Sword which is held by Pesmerga and Yuber. I like it because it has runic powers, according to Suikox's Suikofact #14.

Also Yuber uses two of them which is a cool addition.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Tonberry

The Tonberry Eggsperience

1819401 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

If I had to choose a favorite weapon from the Suikoden series, I thin kI would have to pick either Jimba's huge Karayan sword or Mua's oddly-shaped sword. They look very interesting. Kinda odd too though.

I also liked the grides that the lizards used. Even though they are very unrealistic, I thought they looked interesting.
ed_20

The Stampede

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I guess my favorite weapon is Riou's weapon Tonfa. I like non-lethal weapons I guess Kenshin Himura of samurai x kinda influenced me on that because he uses reverse edge sword that don't slice and kill people. I only remebered two people using tonfa's suikoden games It's Riou and Hoi I don't know If there are any other characters that uses it .
Zaleria

1296207 Potch
13650 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I like the crimson sword too especially yuber's in s3 because there's two of them. But when you say it has runic powers, is that like embedding a rune to the sword? :?
and the grides are good too!

Tonby, while I'm not in Zexen wrote:

I just noticed that if you turn Zexen Activity Levels into an acronym, it makes ZAL. Oh the irony! =P
Beecham

Wind In The Grass

33221 Potch
75 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Here are my top 3 favs:

1ST: The halberd weapon that the Harmonian soldiers (in case you haven't noticed my name). Halberds have a very balanced use factor. Slashing, thrusting, defending is all equally easy with this weapon. Extremely useful, especially when you are tired during your travels, as it can double up as a walking stick... :D

2ND: The glides used by the lizard clan is some what similar to that of a halberd. That makes it cool!! (Although it would be ten times heavier, given the size... :shock: )

3RD: Are whips cool or what!? Whips are a group of strange short range weapons as they don't really do much damage, and isn't really a shortrange weapon either. However, they are still cool, regardless.
cutie_bunnie

The Peach Mountain Shoguns

285404 Potch
0 Soldiers
27500 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Karen's Nails. Simple, stylish and able to scratch the hell out of anyone that bothers her. And if they do damage like that, then I really want to know who her manacurist is. It works, I'm telling you. :D

Seriously, I'm a long range kind of person. I like the archer characters and such, but I do really like the magic rings. Sure, weak attack, but who cares as long as it's pretty and I have a fully loaded rune to back it up.

Altruistic Apparitions

100019091 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I want to know is how the blacksmith can actually sharpen nails of all things. Nails! With a hammer!? Madness.

[Axiose] [Fliktor]
Starslasher

Chunks of Chaco-late.

1177790 Potch
300 Soldiers
35 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

how do they sharpen rings, as a matter of fact? Wouldn't the smith crush the little things?

Bork! Bork! Bork!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Exile

Sword Brothers

6894145 Potch
200 Soldiers
91 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I suppose they just have to be really, really careful. That and blacksmiths also double as manicurists in Suikoden for the nails, yes, that must be it.

I remain partial to Tonfa as I own a set, despite my inability with them, they're a reminder of my Jiu Jitsu days. Did anyone ever use Nunchuks (sp?) in Suikoden? I don't particularly remember anyone doing so but if they did I like those too.

Cry woe, destruction, ruin, and decay -
The worst is death, and death will have his day.
Starslasher

Chunks of Chaco-late.

1177790 Potch
300 Soldiers
35 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, noone i can recall used nunchukakus. The closest one who did would be Nanami and her three-section staff.

Bork! Bork! Bork!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Culture & Geography Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9

Jump to: