Suikoden United and Irenic Karma Oblique Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Is the forum faster?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vextor

11331071 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 12:20 am    Post subject: Is the forum faster? Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I worked at some issues with the index.php, and I think the page loads a lot faster now. Do others feel this as well?
Solitude

Fallen Angels

495 Potch
125 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Coming from someone who is on a 56k modem (dial up) I can say that it loads a great deal faster. Old load time = 61.37 seconds. New load time = 8.19 seconds.

Yes, I busted out a stopwatch and timed it.
Vextor

11331071 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Thanks for the data. I guess it WAS the "last topic by..." modification that made it slow! Evil thing!
Njord

Island Nationeers

218645 Potch
1478 Soldiers
300 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I just noticed that it become really fast after I switched from IE to Firefox (no now why), it didn't really feel like there was any difference when I was browsing with IE and in fact it seemed a little bit slower than usual (it takes thirty seconds to do anything), but now everything seems much more better.

Yay for Firefox and of course thank you, but the "last topic by" thing was sure helpful (no need to complain, I am happy to see the forums much faster :mrgreen:).

Fallen Angels

495 Potch
125 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yes me to. Helpful but not necessary. I would much rather have a faster board than see who the last poster in a certain topic was.
Milan Fiori

Vanguard Elite

715991 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

With me probably having one of the slowest connection speeds on these boards (Maxing out at 24.6k) I've noticed a dramatic decrease in loading time of pages from taking over a two minutes to load the index page, which was a hit and miss of crashing my computer anyways. Now it only takes about 20 seconds. So I am quite the happy poster.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Axiose

Altruistic Apparitions

100019091 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yep, it is indeed quicker than I have browsed in a long time!

[Axiose] [Fliktor]
Beecham

Wind In The Grass

33221 Potch
75 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Oddly enough, I was going to say that it seemed faster all month. I was going to post this on the old thread but it got closed the same day I noticed the increase in speed. At least, I haven't gotten a single failed load since at -least- 01 February or sooner.

EDIT: I specifically watched the page load today, to see if I noticed any difference. The difference was huge. While February brought an end to the dropped loads and doubled posts, the front page now loads right up in a moment or so, instead of needing me to load it and go to some other window to do something to wait.
Starslasher

Chunks of Chaco-late.

1177790 Potch
300 Soldiers
35 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It wasn't until i read this thread did i notice that the Forum has actually been going faster! How about that! I don't know about MIB, but in the past i felt like it took a whole lot more than just 8-9 seconds for the Forum Index to load. Now, it's a breeze!

Thanks Sars!

Bork! Bork! Bork!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Queen

Ghosts of Gor

2000 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It's still slow on my machine. Another thing that can be done is deleting the dead threads and removing people who haven't posted for over 2-3 months, or at all.

I'll see how fast the loading time is on a cable connection. Right now I'm on a 56k dial up connection. >.<

Edit: It does seem to be loading a lot faster. It's hard to tell the difference on dial up, but the cable connection just loaded in a mere second.

Rebel of Babylon

1133304 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Queen wrote:
It's still slow on my machine. Another thing that can be done is deleting the dead threads and removing people who haven't posted for over 2-3 months, or at all.

The trouble with that, is by deleting old threads any soldiers gained would be removed from the count of any member who participated in the threads. That could really mess up overall nation strength.

As for inactive users, that's a bit of a sticky issue since some may be unable to participate for a variety of reasons (keeping away to remain unspoiled for Suikoden IV, computer/net problems, etc.) but when it comes to the users who have registered an account by never bothered to activate it or post (especially if it's been close to a year since they signed up, then I agree that it's not a bad idea to purge the accounts from the system. I would just make a general post in the Community forum stating on x-date accounts that have been unactivated/inactive for x-amount of time will be purged. If the users are just lurkers, it might nudge them towards becoming active.

But I have also noticed the distinct increase in loading speed. Before, it could take roughly a minute or more for the index to load, otherwise it would simply time out. It'll just take a bit of time to get accustomed to the lack of the active topic title on the index... old habits die hard.

"You make me smash the clock and feel, I'd rather die behind the wheel.
Time was never on my side, So on I wait my whole lifetime."
Vextor

11331071 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Actually, miost all inactive users have indeed been purged.

However, that sort of thing won't affect the speed of the board at all. Only when data is "active" would the board be slowed down. Thus, an inactive member doesn't contribute to slowness in any way.

if the slowness is board-related, it would be caused by too many database queries, such was the case with the topic title modification. Now that that is removed, there should be significantly less load time. If some people are experiencing slowness, it is likely an issue with the router, which is beyond my control.
Lunarblade

White Wolf Templars

1428 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Thanks, it's much better now! :mrgreen:

Sinocard wrote:
I dont think I am above women, I think I am above everyone.
Midori

Stijgende Zielen

53473 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yep. Loads much faster than before. :D
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Site Technical issues Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: