Suikoden Uncouth and Illusional Keystone Objective Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Grasslands military strength
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Backstory, History & Plot Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maiazuru

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 10:29 am    Post subject: Grasslands military strength Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Thanks to the manga, we can ascertain that the 4,000 troops which went to fight the 10,000 harmonians was a very large part of the Grassland's military power. Comments between Lucia and Dupa indicate that there were no reinforcements coming. This means that anything else would come from those guarding the city. If we take that into account - and we should, for it does make more sense than the game's vague military variables - we can relatively assume that the Grassland's total military many be in excess of 6,000. Note that this is the standing militia in the Clans.

I wonder, however, how much of Harmonia's military might resided in the 10,000 troops sent to fight the Grasslanders...

What do you think?
Axiose

Altruistic Apparitions

100019091 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think 10,000 troops from Harmonia is only a very small portion of their full military strength. However, as we don't know the limits of Harmonia, we can't say either way their full military strength.

[Axiose] [Fliktor]
Child of The Sea God

188289 Potch
2671 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

were all of the 10,000 harmonian soldiers real ones or were some of them illusions created by Sarah?
Axiose

Altruistic Apparitions

100019091 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Oh, is that what you were saying, hmmm, I'm afraid I couldn't be sure how much were real and how much were summoned soldiers. Perhaps someone else does though?

[Axiose] [Fliktor]
Sai Fujiwara

Executors of Divine Providence

22038 Potch
0 Soldiers
5678 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

According to the information on Suikosource and this website ragarding The Holy Kingdom of Harmonia, the standing armies of Harmonia are said to number over one million soldiers. This is the regular army along with the Temple Knights, and including the Harmonian Southern Frontier Defense Forces, and any Howling Voice Guild members. Needless to say, that 10,000 soldiers is practically nothing compared to what Harmonia is capable of sending. Heck, even the Liberation Army of Suikoden 1 had over 20,000 soldiers in it by the end of the game! With that said, I'm pretty sure that the overal armies of Grassland must be a little bit larger than this. We also have to consider that they were fighting with Zexen not long ago, so their forces probably were not at full strength.

Happily Married to the Lovely Lady Chris Lightfellow! :D
Solitude

Fallen Angels

495 Potch
125 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I know this is completely off topic but is the Suikoden manga availabe in English?

By the end of S3 I was kind of under the impression that Harmonia had sent next to no military strenght into the Grasslands at all, only Sassari's unit. The rest were just conjured (sp?) up by Sarah.
Vextor

11331071 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Emphasis on the "said to be in the millions" part.
Gaara

Arrancars

5665 Potch
8300 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

They weren't illusions created by Sarah. They were all real soldiers accompanying Sasarai.
Masaya

Flying Fusillades

222963 Potch
75 Soldiers
3635 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah but about by then, they wern't even fallowing harmonia anymore, just "marching under their flag" so to speak. And I also beleive Harmonia has well over million, if you take into account how long they've been around, along with how freely they dispatch there troops. Some to support Highland, some to conquer grasslands, little here little there.

Fallen Angels

495 Potch
125 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Oh I know all the soldiers accompanying Sassari were real Gaara. What I'm saying is that I thought all the soldiers accompanying Luc were fake. However now that I look at it he probably had some reel ones as well from when he had Harmonian backing.
Beecham

Wind In The Grass

33221 Potch
75 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

No, MiB, I think you were right. I'd swear I remember something along those lines.
Neclord

The Spectral Nightmares

163602 Potch
2 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Man In Black wrote:
Oh I know all the soldiers accompanying Sassari were real Gaara. What I'm saying is that I thought all the soldiers accompanying Luc were fake. However now that I look at it he probably had some reel ones as well from when he had Harmonian backing.

I believe when he had Harmonian backing that half of his troops were real and the other half soldiers, or maybe just a mix. But I remember Luc or Sarah mentioning how they lost Harmonian support so now more phantoms are needed.

On the one million troops number, Like SARSadmin said... emphasis on "said to be" sounds like a legend, myth, or old wives tale. If Harmonia had that many troops, Then why do they not rule the entire Suiko world? Toran had around what 20,000 at the end of the war? Why wouldn't Harmonia simply run over them then? Grasslands puny numbers would be a one day invasion for Harmonia. It just doesn't add up to me.

You must not fear death, my lads; defy him, and you drive him into the enemy's ranks.
~ Napoleon Bonaparte
Noot

Faithers of the Defend

186551 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, Crystal Valley is supposed to be so huge that it would take a couple days to travel from one side to the opposite riding a carriage. It is not far-fetched to imagine similar cities spread across this nation. We have no idea how big this place actually is, or how the population is broken down, so it very well could consist of over a million people. We don't know.

Why do they not rule the entire Suikoworld? Well, according to the stuff I've read, there has been internal upheaval lately between the Temple Faction (made up of the nobility and the church) and the People's Faction (who lobby for separation of Church and State and also to get rid of the "class" titles). There is a rumor that the great leader, Hikusaak, is dead, and so many people are stirring up a mess (including nobles who are competing for power). There is so much discord in Harmonia (heh, how ironic, eh?) at the moment that they can't really march out to conquer the continent just yet.

Man in Black wrote:
I know this is completely off topic but is the Suikoden III manga available in English?

Volumes 1-5 are so far. (Five just came out this past week.)

It's hard to bargle naudle zauss with all these marbles in my mouth.
sybillious

Ebony Moon Knights

981865 Potch
59 Soldiers
60 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

there's also the possibility of forced enlistment; they have second and third class citizens that could be forcibly conscripted, if the need arose. that could have a big factor in the 'millions' count.

gotta gotta get a...SPICE WEASEL!

to paraphrase my fellow mod, parallax:
I hate my job with the passionately burning intensity of a thousand fiery suns.
Blademaste

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

i think it's easy to say that harmonia has allot of people but i doubt it can ever be used to it's fullest
picture this : full force attack agianst dunan
this would meen no temple guards...or southern border guards

A good general would never aprove of this

I think i suikoden to come harmonia wil square off agianst all of the other country's :D :D :D :D :D :D (it's the only logical solution to harmonia's strength)

I wonder wich Silverberg they will use for that war :shock: :D :D :D
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Backstory, History & Plot Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: