Suikoden Uncouth and Irenic Kibbutz Original Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

The 5 levels of Pacifism
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Templeton

186895 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 4:30 pm    Post subject: The 5 levels of Pacifism Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I have done some meditation on the matter and I being a pacifist have come to a conclusion as to why our world isn't pacifist as well.

There has been war from the time of the beginning, and that once disgusted me as a pacifist, it has lead me to believe in one thing however. Anyone who uses aggression and has the will to prevent from acting out again is infact a pacifist in a way. From a pacifist who fights for democracy and then returns to his or her base with a sound mind, to a more archaic pascifist who takes out a rival gang member and then heads home not harming anyone else along the way.

From this standard I have come to this guide to what I consider the "5 levels of pacifism"

Level 1: Religious Pacifist

Level 2: Civilian Pacifist

Level 3: Soldier/Freedom Fighter Pacifist

Level 4: Tolatariant Fighter Pacifist

Level 5: Anarchiac Pacifist

I feel that I fall under the status of "Civilian Pacifist" which means that I will work for the benefit of humanity without the use of force.

Something must be kept in mind however, we need to maintain a balance of all these types in our civilivation in order to preserve humanity. It's only when they are working in harmony that our race enduers and remains confident.

What I'm generally saying is, that its in some of us to use violence only when necessary, and that will to limit it makes us all in this Universe pacifists in our own way.

It's a theory of mine thank you for listening
Yvl

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

So everyone except for a psychotic killer is a pacifist in some way? Doesn't that kinda wreck the meaning of the word?

White Storms

22016 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

He is right kinda of Yvl. Because only a psychotic killer would kill for fun. The rest mostly will kill for something he believes as a greater force than life, like God or the concept of freedom, so in his mind he is making violence for peace. And he is only kinda right because a real pacifist would find a non violental act to change the things to the way he believes that things should be, no matter if he does that for a God or freedom.
So Templeton, you explained the Civilian level of pacifism. Care to explainthe others?
Yvl

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Indeed, but then there are better words to describe them than "pacifist." You could say that the majority of humanity strives for peace instead. And I suppose your definaition wouldn't include people who kill for personal gain such as dictators and such, correct? And what about killing for revenge or to stop a threat to humanity as a whole (the moral dilemma depicted in the anime "Monster")?

Your theory as a whole I don't mind, its just, as I said, the word "Pacifist."

The Invincible Weeds

803820 Potch
0 Soldiers
2 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

A pacifist is someone against violence, no? So using violence "only when necessary" would mean to a pacifist that violence is never necessary and thus, never used.

It seems more to me that you are describing one's self control over their own violent actions. I personally would not call that pacifism.

The Wandering Prophets

410837 Potch
300 Soldiers
835 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I agree with Sage and Yvl. I don't think a person can be a pacifist if they use violence 'when it is necessary'. That would seem to define pacifism as 'wanting peace',when it is closer to 'against violence'.

Quote:
Because only a psychotic killer would kill for fun. The rest mostly will kill for something he believes as a greater force than life, like God or the concept of freedom, so in his mind he is making violence for peace.

What about killing in self defense, probably the most common type of killing? It is no killing for fun or a 'higher ideal'.
Tokuro

White Storms

22016 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yes it is. The higher ideal on this case would be kill to not get killed, isn't it?
Timbo

The Wandering Prophets

410837 Potch
300 Soldiers
835 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Tokuro wrote:
Yes it is. The higher ideal on this case would be kill to not get killed, isn't it?

Self preservation as a higher ideal? What are you defining a higher ideal as?
Tokuro

White Storms

22016 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

On the case I am calling higher ideals anything that would make someone who is normally pacific (and not a psicho killer) to harm and/or kill others.
Templeton

186895 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The real reason I wrote this is because me being in denial about the historically violent nature of the human race want things to change.

I decided to classify these types because I can somehow say that all people must be tolerated from concervative pacifist to ones who may use force and those who are traditionalist like the amush(Sp?)

I've been a democracy loving pacifist for 4 years now, I've been studying how I should approach my beliefs. There's been many hurdles having to be knocked down in order for me to find justification in all happennings, for example, I thought that all countries that are tolateriant should be instantly santioned by the UN; But I have to realize that somehow it is the people of those countries who are waiting for their country to mature and thus we should invest in such regiems hoping they don't find a reason to declare war right after.

It just sucks to me that people are being manipulated by society and the right wing media into supporting the use of violence to make a problem go away and for us to feel special about it afterword. I have always wished that police and militaries around the world would be reformed into non-violent organzations which would use peaceful means to solve world conflicts. Of course there would bound to be a crack in the system and someone would take advantage of such a system.

That's all for now.
Timbo

The Wandering Prophets

410837 Potch
300 Soldiers
835 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Tokuro wrote:
On the case I am calling higher ideals anything that would make someone who is normally pacific (and not a psicho killer) to harm and/or kill others.

So basically a higher ideal is something that causes normally pacifist people to kill people when they normally wouldn't? Is anger a higher ideal then?
Amyral

Windriders

544907 Potch
4066 Soldiers
620 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

As much as I find the idea of a militant pacifist to be, well, awesome, it completely defeats the purpose of what pacifism is, and undermines the efforts of the real pacifist revolutionaries, like Ghandi.

You admit it yourself. You're in denial. You want to try to classify nearly everyone in the world as a pacifist, when they aren't in any way. If violence is an option to a person, they aren't a pacifist. If violence is an acceptable course of action for a person, they aren't a pacifist.

In this denial, you've made the definition of pacifism so broad that it's nearly meaningless. Not completely, because it does limit it to people who wouldn't use violence as a first resort, but it puts such a broad group into it that the word has lost most of its meaning.

Quote:

It just sucks to me that people are being manipulated by society and the right wing media into supporting the use of violence to make a problem go away and for us to feel special about it afterword.

You do realize that both sides of the media, the right and the left, have condoned violent actions against people, don't you? It's rarely considered as a first resort, but only after things have degenerated from some other means (such as sanctions).

Quote:
So basically a higher ideal is something that causes normally pacifist people to kill people when they normally wouldn't? Is anger a higher ideal then?

Or jealousy, or being out shopping on black friday. There are many things that drive people to violence that are completely trivial.
Nimble Jack

Guard of the Old Way

319192 Potch
250 Soldiers
125 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think that this topic is in sore need of a clear definition of what pacifism is.

From the American Heritage Dictionary:
Quote:
pacifism-1. The belief that disputes between nations should and can be settled peacefully. 2. a. Opposition to war or violence as a means of resolving disputes. b. Such opposition demonstrated by refusal to participate in military action

According to that definition I don't think a pacifist could agree to violence to solve some issues.

Templeton, are you saying that the levels of pacifism build off of each other? Or that the different levels are just different types, I didn't really see how they are connected? And what category would people who benefit off of war fit into like a warmonger or arms dealer?
Tokuro

White Storms

22016 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Timbo wrote:

Yes. Altought it would be condened, it can be considered. I mean I have seen people that are normally pacifists that tried to hurt others because of anger. Fact is that normal people can be pacific, but yet can harm others if they feel that this is right, but they are pacifists nevertheless, because they don't like violence.
Let me try and give an example. I consider myself a pacifist people, simply because violence really is the worse option for everything, I don't really like it. But over here, if you are not carefull enough, you will be aborded by people that will try to steal your things. And I won't give my stuff to anyone. So if I see the option of runnig away, I will do it (like I did sometimes). Unfortunately sometimes that is not the case, so I have to open way by hurting the guy that wants to steal my things (like I also did sometimes). Fact is some people don't understand what peace is, only strenght. And even when one don't like to use violence, they sometimes HAVE to use it, and that is the whole difference for me. Be a pacifist is not one who don't use violence, but one that will use it only when necessary.
Sparhawk

Lords of Foolishness

207476 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Templeton wrote:
The real reason I wrote this is because me being in denial about the historically violent nature of the human race want things to change.

I decided to classify these types because I can somehow say that all people must be tolerated from concervative pacifist to ones who may use force and those who are traditionalist like the amush(Sp?)

I've been a democracy loving pacifist for 4 years now, I've been studying how I should approach my beliefs. There's been many hurdles having to be knocked down in order for me to find justification in all happennings, for example, I thought that all countries that are tolateriant should be instantly santioned by the UN; But I have to realize that somehow it is the people of those countries who are waiting for their country to mature and thus we should invest in such regiems hoping they don't find a reason to declare war right after.

It just sucks to me that people are being manipulated by society and the right wing media into supporting the use of violence to make a problem go away and for us to feel special about it afterword. I have always wished that police and militaries around the world would be reformed into non-violent organzations which would use peaceful means to solve world conflicts. Of course there would bound to be a crack in the system and someone would take advantage of such a system.

That's all for now.

People are manipulated by the media every day as a whole. Not just by the left or right. EXAMPLE: many people view George Bush as a blithering idiot. However the man is pretty darn smart. Yes, he says a lot ofwords wrong, but so would a lot of people before a camera. The media protrays him as a idiot because that is the popular opinion.

Now, it isn't wrong to want everything to be nice and peaceful, koom-bi-ya like and such, but their will alwaysbe others, as you have said yourself, there will always be others that will take advantage of the weak and decide they are indeed inferior. Do I believe it is the human nature to be violent? No, but I will be if someone tries to harm those I care about.

Look at the whole Iran topic in the community forum. Yvl said that the president of Iran is a psycho. I said he wasn't. The man just wants more for himself and his pople, and is doing what he believes will help him achieve his goal. He might be wrong, but that is how it is. Hell, even Charles Manson, believed to be a psycho in many circles, just wanted to live in a world moer idealic to himself. When it comes down to it, insanity itself is a matter of perspective. The ones who are truly psycho are the people frothing at the mouth, killing to get off types.

I agree with most of what you have said Templeton. I wish we could live in a world with no violence at all. It's just too big, however, with too many people, for us all to get along peacefully.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: